move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Swampertite
ability: Damp
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Scald is Mega Swampert's main STAB attack and helps it check many physical attackers in the metagame due to its burn chance. Earthquake is Mega Swampert's strongest move and does decent damage to neutral targets. Rest is Swampert's only means of recovery and its best chance to prevent getting worn down too much. Sleep Talk allows Mega Swampert to still function as a threatening wall even when asleep due to Rest. Roar is a possible option over Sleep Talk in order to phaze many sweepers that otherwise set up freely on this set, such as Reuniclus; however, it is not the optimal choice, as it leaves Mega Swampert unable to do anything while asleep.

Set Details
========

A physically defensive spread is preferred alongside a Relaxed nature in order to counter incredibly powerful physical attackers such as Mamoswine and dangerous sweepers such as Cobalion. Damp allows Swampert to absorb the rare Explosion, which comes mostly from Forretress. Alternatively, a specially defensive spread can be used if it needs to check special attackers such as Chandelure and Nidoking.

Usage Tips
========

This set is supposed to be used as a reliable and durable defensive check to many threats in UU, and it must be backed up by other defensive teammates that can cover Mega Swampert's weaknesses to help it slowly wear down the opposing team. Therefore, use this set as a status absorber, given that Mega Swampert can negate any status ailments with Rest. Always use Rest when Mega Swampert's HP is low to prioritize its health. Switching Mega Swampert into a teammate's Wish, such as Blissey's, may be a good idea if it is too low in HP, especially given how slow it is.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Mandibuzz and Salamence that cover Mega Swampert's hindering weakness to Grass-types are its best teammates. Special walls are greatly needed, as Mega Swampert will have a hard time switching in or even checking powerful special attackers. Blissey and Florges are stellar special walls, and the former also provides Wish support. Pokemon that can check setup sweepers such as Reuniclus, Suicune, and Snorlax, which have no problem dealing with Mega Swampert, are appreciated, as these threats are all extremely effective in UU. Taunt Jellicent and Sableye can deal comfortably with these three. Entry hazard setters are a must in order to wear down the opponent's team; Roserade is a fine option that also shares great defensive synergy with Mega Swampert.

[SET]
name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Rest
move 4: Ice Punch / Scald
item: Swampertite
ability: Damp
nature: Careful / Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse gives Mega Swampert the opportunity to clean more defensive teams with a few boosts due to its great defenses and powerful attacks after even one boost. Earthquake is its main STAB move and has decent neutral coverage in the tier. Rest prevents Mega Swampert from getting worn down too easily on account of its notable lack of reliable recovery. Ice Punch and Earthquake provide great coverage, with Ice Punch hitting the Flying-types, Grass-types, and Levitate users that Earthquake cannot touch. However, Scald is a fantastic option if the aforementioned threats don't present a problem for the rest of Swampert's team, as it is a very safe option most of the time and can make setting up on physical attackers far easier.

Set Details
========

A specially defensive EV spread and a Careful nature are needed in order to avoid being easily weakened by powerful special attackers such as Hydreigon; for instance, with this set, defensive Whimsicott's Giga Drain is a mere 3HKO. A Sassy nature is to be used if Scald is preferred to preserve the move's damage output. Damp allows Swampert to switch in on an Explosion from a Pokemon such as Forretress. An alternate EV spread is 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD backed by an Adamant nature. This EV spread's selling point is checking Calm Mind Reuniclus by 2HKOing it after just one Curse. Some other impressive feats, including 2HKOing Calm Florges and OHKOing Hoopa without any boosts, are within reach with this spread.

Usage Tips
========

While Mega Swampert needs Grass-types and some wallbreakers to be taken out before attempting to clean, try to use it actively, without attempting to clean the opposing team too early. Mega Swampert is a great defensive asset and should be widely used during a game. Try to Mega Evolve as soon as possible, as Mega Evolving translates to significantly higher Attack and defenses, making switching in far easier. This set performs fairly well against stall, as it can outlast several common opposing setup sweepers. Keep in mind that this set is not vulnerable to Foul Play; Mega Swampert has no problem setting up against the majority of the walls in the tier.

Team Options
========

Clerics, prime examples of which include Umbreon and Florges, are crucial, especially with this set being widely used on stall. Defensive Pokemon that cover Swampert's hindering Grass-type weekness, such as bulky Salamence and Mandibuzz, are very appreciated. Additional special walls are usually needed, as this set isn't that suited to checking some special wallbreakers. This makes Blissey a phenomenal addition, as it is the best option in UU and can also act as a cleric. Because, for the most part, Mega Swampert cannot switch in on very powerful physical wallbreakers, teammates that can, such as the aforementioned Salamence and Nidoqueen, are quite important. Entry hazard setters, such as Forretress and Roserade, make Mega Swampert's cleaning role substantially easier to fill. Wish passers like Blissey and Umbreon allow Mega Swampert to switch into more attacks and use Rest less frequently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only used this set like once, but wouldn't Earthquake be better over Waterfall in the first slot for the sake of coverage? With Ground STAB + Ice coverage, you hit everything neutrally outside of Rotom-H, who is walled by MegaPert itself (especially with Rest). Plus EQ also has more base power over Waterfall, which could be nice in some cases.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just something initial, not a full QC check or anything since this is WIP, the set should probably be Curse, Earthquake, Ice Punch / Waterfall, Rest. Curse sets NEED Rest for recovery, if not it's just easily worn down and taken out. Earthquake is a must have, more so than Waterfall definitely due to how powerful it is and how Ground-STAB just handles overall coverage better when paired with either of the other two options.

e: In response to Spoofy, uh MegaPert w/ Curse is mostly on Stall anyways (outside of it usually other sets prove better for role compression and such) and those teams usually have clerical moves so I wouldn't have Sleep Talk as a slash, especially considering how mono-attacking EQ doesn't sound too good considering you're forced out by quite a lot then.

Last edited:
Scald too. Should be first slash imo. Looks something like this I believe.

name: Curse Swampert
move 1: Curse
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Rest
move 4: Scald/ Waterfall/ Ice Punch

e: In response to Kreme's response: Yeah you are right. I think I saw pif use mono eq sleep talk for reuni with effectiveness but i dont remember.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty sure we use scald, no?

Based on the dozens of defensive pert sets I've seen, I'm pretty sure it's

Earthquake
Scald
Rest
Sleep talk/Curse

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Lol, gotta change this, not only I forgot about Scald, but ground coverage is obviously better lol, Sorry for that. This was a Hell of a weekend, I was finishing this when I literally slept. King UU, I'll add a second set that's pretty much like this, as Curse, as far as my experience goes, should have a set around it (and I was asked to do it anyway by IB). Unless QC members feel its much better to compress both but I don't think so.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah Kink is right, Curse isn't a given on defensive Mega Pert. Most of them that I've seen look something like this:

Earthquake
Rest
Curse / Sleep Talk
Scald / Ice Punch

What we need to decide on is whether to continue with this format or split it into two:
  • RestTalk with dual STAB
  • Curse with Scald / IP in last slot
I reckon they play differently enough that having two sets sounds reasonable. A purely defensive set offers more utility than Curse as it's not helpless while sleeping, while Curse can have different teammates than RestTalk which are more focussed on opening up a late-game sweep. The EVs might be different too; Curse needs max SpD for obvious reasons but I'm less sure of what the ideal spread for a RestTalk set would be.

Thoughts dodmen Bouffalant Sam Hikari?

Yeah Kink is right, Curse isn't a given on defensive Mega Pert. Most of them that I've seen look something like this:

Earthquake
Rest
Curse / Sleep Talk
Scald / Ice Punch

What we need to decide on is whether to continue with this format or split it into two:
  • RestTalk with dual STAB
  • Curse with Scald / IP in last slot
I reckon they play differently enough that having two sets sounds reasonable. A purely defensive set offers more utility than Curse as it's not helpless while sleeping, while Curse can have different teammates than RestTalk which are more focussed on opening up a late-game sweep. The EVs might be different too; Curse needs max SpD for obvious reasons but I'm less sure of what the ideal spread for a RestTalk set would be.

Thoughts dodmen Bouffalant Sam Hikari?
Its would make sense since they are two different ev spreads iirc.

I would prefer splitting into the two sets that IB said.

e: EVs for RestTalk could go phys or sp defensive based on what the stall team needs? I'd think phys def kinda makes more sense for this one though, better check to Mamo, aero, Crobat and stuff

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Max Carvalho so we've concluded that splitting it into two sets makes the most sense:
  • Scald / Earthquake / Rest / Sleep Talk with a physically defensive EV spread and Relaxed nature to make it an excellent counter to Mamo, Mega Aero, Cobalion etc. A specially defensive spread can be mentioned in Set Details as an alternative if you need it to check stuff like Chandelure, Nidos, and Dragalge.
  • Curse / Earthquake / Rest / Ice Punch or Scald with a specially defensive EV spread as it makes sense to max out the stat which you're not boosting.

For the Curse set, an alternate spread that could be mentioned in Set Details is 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD Adamant. The main draw of this set is 2HKOing Reuniclus after a Curse, making you a solid check to CM Reuni. Other benefits include OHKOing Cobalion after very little prior damage (like a Spike or a Forry Volt Switch), 2HKOing Calm Florges, 2HKOing 252/128 Whimsicott, 2HKOing Kyurem, and OHKOing Hoopa after SR. However the 252/252+ should probably remain as the main spread as it does some cool stuff, like avoiding the 3HKO from LO Hydreigon's Dark Pulse and the 2HKO from +2 Mega Houndoom.

Last edited:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
Max Carvalho I'm sorry but this should really be in QC by now, I'm giving you a day to respond to this otherwise I'll have to reassign it. Please provide an update on your Espeon analysis too.

Roar deserves a mention in Moves for the first set (not a slash though), to be used over Sleep Talk (you can change the set name to Physically Defensive Mega or something). Also mention that this set is total bait to a lot of sweepers like Suicune, Reuniclus, and Snorlax, so a reliable countermeasure is needed.

For Team Options for the second set, add Blissey as between the two of them, every special attacker in the tier is at least checked, and it can also act as a cleric.

QC 1/3

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
Slash a Sassy nature on the second set if using Scald. And a minor error: it's Swampertite not Swampetite.

Nice job, QC 2/3

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Regarding the first set, I feel like Stealth Rock should definitely be at least mentioned in Moves since it definitely helps with role compression if Rocks aren't anywhere else on the team, and it's SR so yeah. In Set Details, "Damp allows Mega Swampert to switch in on the rare Explosion" remove "Mega", Mega Pert ain't switching into a Boom smh. You also mentioned something about a specially defensive spread so I believe you should list down what this spread is in the same sentence for people interested in it. Regarding Team Options, I'd definitely remove the Mandibuzz mention and put something else, I'm pretty sure about all the relevant Grass-types in the tier, with the exception of maybe Tangrowth and Amoonguss, don't fear Mandibuzz whatsoever; Chesnaught gets a free Leech Seed, Shaymin threatens with SpD drops and Gleam, Rose does quite a bit especially with Rocks up. I'd also definitely mention more Pokemon there since it's quite a vast pool.

Not much to say about the second set particularly except that this set and the first set should both have mentions of what archetypes they fit on best in Usage Tips and honestly the grammar throughout the whole analysis should really be brushed up, there are a lot of mistakes regarding capitalization and such. Uh tell me when this is done and I'll stamp this.

eh idk i feel like being forced to give up on eq or stalk is really shitty and a lot of sr setters go well with pert anyway

will do full check tonite cause im headin out atm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)