MegaZor Balance [1904 Peak/14th on the ladder]

Introduction:
Hey everyone, daftmau5 here! Welcome to my RMT :)
I built this team around Mega Scizor, my favourite Mega, to make it shine and it's often my win condition. The basic idea is to eliminate anything that can beat it (usually fast special attackers) and then rampage through whatever is remaining with a bulky SD set. That being said, there is enough power around the team to ensure it's not a one man band.

For some background, i got into competitive battling in Gen 5 but never took teambuilding too seriously until recently. I'd describe this team as balance/bulky offense and thought it was a nice change after using exclusively hyper offense since I got into competitive pokemon.

I only got as high as around 1750 before i put this team together so i like to think that it's the best team that i've put together so far.

Shoutout to people on Showdown who took a look at this team, helped improve it and helped me test it. Thanks heaps Nog, Sansnickel, Arcanine Is Regal, Gizmozian and Tesung.​

Team Preview:

Proof:

Replay proof: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-120886852

The team:

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
This is a wallbreaker Landorus set. Life Orb Sheer Force Earth power hits ridiculously hard while Psychic is for Mega Venu. Psychic also KOs Conkeldurr after i catch it with Knock off. Focus blast rounds off the set and hits Ttar hard. I tested superpower over Focus Blast but missed the ability to destroy Skarmory so i changed it back.

Knock off is the surprise attack which lets me 2hko Chansey with Focus Blast and gives me the potential to crush stall. Landorus is also often my very crappy answer to baton pass. I.e. Spamming Psychic against Scolipede and then hoping to catch Espeon on the switch with Knock Off.​

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 116 Def / 100 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Swords Dance
Say hello to the star of the show. Bulky SD is legitimately once of the best sets in the current meta. I designed the EV spread to give Scizor enough bulk to avoid being 2HKOd by earthquake from Landorus-T and Shadow ball from non life orb Aegi and respectively set up on them:
  • 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Mega Scizor: 133-157 (38.6 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO​
  • 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Mega Scizor: 133-157 (38.6 - 45.6%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock​
  • 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO​

The key is to mega evo Scizor early to gain access to its incredible bulk which lets me trash common physical attackers such as Conkeldurr and Excadrill once their specially threatening teammates have been removed. It is absolutely imperative that special attackers such as Greninja, Keldeo and Heatran are to be eliminated first. Spamming knock off while they switch in helps as it makes Specs Keldeo easier for my team to handle and Greninja without a life orb isn't too threatening:
  • 252 SpA Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 138-163 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO​

Mega Scizor team is also my answer against Kyurem-B which otherwise slaughters my team. Scizor can switch into any Life Orb attack from it and then set up all over it unless it for some bizzare reason runs HP fire.

This is a replay of me testing Mega Scizor 1v1 against standard Rotom-W and coming out on top (Thanks btw Chagrilled):

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
Standard specially defensive cleric Sylveon and the workhorse of the team. Takes on Life Orb Greninja and more so Specs Keldeo which absolutely murders my team. Heal bell lets me play more recklessly with Scizor and Garchomp as i can afford to take risk taking a burn if I have an opportunity to eliminate something. Heal Bell also prevents Sylveon from getting rekt by Toxic. It's poison and steel weaknesses are supported by Heatran and Scizor which gives it great survivability.

Wish passing keeps my team healthy and Wish Protect keep Sylveon alive.
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon: 160-190 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery​

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic
Standard spdf Heatran. I usually lead with this to get stealth rocks up unless i find that my opponent's team completely threatens Heatran. Lava Plume is nice to spread burns and is essential for eliminating Steel types such as Ferrothorn.Toxic Protect goes nicely with Wish protect on Sylveon for wearing down my opponent if need be. Toxic Protect is also a great way to stall out Lati@s that lack surf which come into to defog my lovely rocks. Protect is also good for scouting against Garchomp which are very likely to be choice scarfed.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
The revenge killer and cleaner. It often picks off whatever Mega Scizor can't or dents things enough for a bullet punch spree. Outrage is for late game spamming while Dragon Claw and Earthquake are reliable stabs for when i don't want to get locked in. This is my main answer to Zard X at +1 which is a big pain. Stone Edge is for coverage.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 168 Def / 248 HP / 92 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Taunt​

My defogger since hazards reduce my teams ability to take hits when switching in. Foul play belts Aegi, Zard X and Mega Pinsir which can steal roll my team. 92 spe is to outrun Max speed belly drum Azumarill and hit it with foul play since it can really hurt my team. Rocky helmet to get chip damage on physical attackers and secures a KO on jolly Belly Drum Azu at 75% after Foul Play:​
  • +6 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 227-267 (66.5 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​

Taunt is nice against stall and stops Mega Venu from being a complete jerk and spamming leech seed. It's also nice against complete nubs who don't know how to use baton pass properly. You can run 20 Spe on Mandi instead if you don't fear Jolly Azu.
Replays:
I was a complete nub and forgot to save good replays of Mega Scizor carving but here are a couple of replays of my team just in general:​
Importable

http://pastebin.com/gYvAvQib
Concluding thoughts:

Very little is more satisfying than rampaging through a team with Mega Scizor and i believe this team has the ability to make it work. It did take a bit of getting used to in terms of learning what were my best switchins and calculated sacrifices but it's managed to take me to the highest i've been on the ladder. I look forward to your suggestions and improving this team further. Thank you for reading.

Cheers,
daftmau5.

Edit #1: Formatting
Edit #2: Fixed Title
Edit #3: Added some top notch gifs from pkparaiso.com

Last edited:
Really solid team here, not much I can really pick apart with it.
I suppose if anything even though you have tran, you could run FB on Chomp over DClaw only for the "surprise," factor of it all.
Other than that I really can't see much.
Well done fren. :] also, hello fellow OU chat frens that will be here also :}

-cheers

Really solid team here, not much I can really pick apart with it.
I suppose if anything even though you have tran, you could run FB on Chomp over DClaw only for the "surprise," factor of it all.
Other than that I really can't see much.
Well done fren. :] also, hello fellow OU chat frens that will be here also :}

-cheers
Thanks fingers, that really means a lot =]

I'll definitely give fire blast a shot. It might give me a bit more flexibility in being able to catch stuff like FerroSkarmZor.

A real solid team, although I did find a pretty big azumarill weakness.

None of your pokemon really have much to hit it, and it could be a really big problem to your team if it sets up a belly drum.

Nothing can 1 shot Azumarill after sitrus berry recovery (except for landorus' earth power, but if you switch in lando to Azumarill, that's a really bad idea).

Of course, that's only one thing to look out for, and it doesn't make your team any lesser.

But overall, I really think this is a great team, and can see why it got you so far.

If you want a suprise factor on chomp why not iron head? Fairies come in in expected outrage and get some slapz

A real solid team, although I did find a pretty big azumarill weakness.

None of your pokemon really have much to hit it, and it could be a really big problem to your team if it sets up a belly drum.

Nothing can 1 shot Azumarill after sitrus berry recovery (except for landorus' earth power, but if you switch in lando to Azumarill, that's a really bad idea).

Of course, that's only one thing to look out for, and it doesn't make your team any lesser.

But overall, I really think this is a great team, and can see why it got you so far.
Cheers for the rate. Yeah I'm extremely weak to belly jet Azumarill. I run 92 spe on Mandibuzz to outrun Max jolly Azu and hit it with +6 Foul Play. It's usually enough to bring it down with rocky helmet from 75%. If it turns out Azu is bulky and survives, Scizor can pick it off with bullet punch. It's an extremely shaky check and forces me to keep Mandi healthy though.

If you want a suprise factor on chomp why not iron head? Fairies come in in expected outrage and get some slapz
Thank you for the suggestion. I will test it and see how it goes.

So I was searching through RMTs looking for some good sets etc... And saw this. Then Like a hour late I was just sitting in a chatroom (Dont remember which one) and This guy posted a replay so I clicked on it and notice the team he was using was similar to this team (By similar I mean same pokemon but maybe different movesets but they look the same) and thought he did pretty well even though he did make some questionable moves and Is pretty low on the ladder he still did pretty well.

Last edited:
So I was searching through RMTs looking for some good sets etc... And saw this. Then Like a hour late I was just sitting in a chatroom (Dont remember which one) and This guy posted a replay so I clicked on it and notice the team he was using was similar to this team (By similar I mean same pokemon but maybe different movesets but they look the same) and thought he did pretty well even though he did make some questionable moves and Is pretty low on the ladder he still did pretty well.
If he's copied my team I'm extremely flattered ahaha. That being said, I'm not exactly using the most original mons so it could be coincidence.

Any chance you still have a link to the replay (perhaps in your internet history)? I'm very interested in seeing someone else using my team.

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
awesome team dude! its nice too see people make balance work in the current stage of the meta that is filled with HO and stall. One thing, you are quite weak to unaware quagsire (whodestroys sd scizor). You also said u were weak to bd azum. A poke that checks both of those pokes is sash breloom, great in this stage of meta. Give it a try :)

Last edited:
Pretty solid team Daftmau5. You have helped me several times :D I think Fire Blast would be good on Chompa, it works great against Ferro, Skarm and other Scizors. Or, if you have trouble with Azu, maybe Poison Jab instead of D-Claw could work? Azu users would probably go for Play Rough if they have enough Health. So you could outspeed it. Otherwise I dont know :P It looks pretty solid. And again, thanks for helping me for the last 2-3 days.

awesome team dude! its nice too see people make balance work in the current stage of the meta that is filled with HO and stall. One thing, you are quite weak to unaware quagsire (whodestroys sd scizor). You also said u were weak to bd azum. A poke that checks both of those pokes is sash breloom, great in this stage of meta. Give it a try :)
Cheers for the rate and kind words :)

Quag is definitely annoying and tbh only Sylveon can take it on and 2hko with Hyper Voice. Landorus can ohko it with Earth Power after SR but switching into a scald is not nice at all. Breloom definitely sounds interesting and is worth testing. I think i might try it with life orb first just for a bit more oomph.

Breloom @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Rock Tomb

Pretty solid team Daftmau5. You have helped me several times :D I think Fire Blast would be good on Chompa, it works great against Ferro, Skarm and other Scizors. Or, if you have trouble with Azu, maybe Poison Jab instead of D-Claw could work? Azu users would probably go for Play Rough if they have enough Health. So you could outspeed it. Otherwise I dont know :P It looks pretty solid. And again, thanks for helping me for the last 2-3 days.
I tested out Fire Blast as suggested by Fingers and now you and it's pretty nice to be able to hit those mons. The only thing that sucks is being locked into Fire Blast on a scarf set.

I'll test Poison Jab now and see how it goes. Thank you for the suggestions.

Glad i could help you out mate :)

Last edited:
If he's copied my team I'm extremely flattered ahaha. That being said, I'm not exactly using the most original mons so it could be coincidence.

Any chance you still have a link to the replay (perhaps in your internet history)? I'm very interested in seeing someone else using my team.
Unfortunately I didn't get a link, and it won't be in my history because I acidently somehow set my history location somewhere (To this day I can't find it) and haven't searched in my history for 6 months xD

I'll look around for the guy and see if he has the team

Unfortunately I didn't get a link, and it won't be in my history because I acidently somehow set my history location somewhere (To this day I can't find it) and haven't searched in my history for 6 months xD

I'll look around for the guy and see if he has the team
No stress mate, just curious haha. Thank you though :)

Mix

mahmood soldi
is a Past WCoP Champion
Very good team, but i prefere Fire Blast > Dragon Claw on ScarfChomp, only that!

Very solid team, congratulations!

-MiXXX

Hey, I ended up at this page through your post in the playstyle of the week thread, because I'm interested in Balanced. This is a really cool team and congrats on the ranking. One thing I noticed though is that you lack 4 Evs on your Scizor. You may want to change that, to make it even better ;)

Edit: Also, I usually give my Heatrans 40 Spe Evs to outspeed base 80s such as Mega-Venusaur, Goodra, Togekiss and Mandibuzz, and Adamant 252 Spe Mega-Mawiles and Azumarills. As a bonus, you outspeed 0 Spe Mega-Blastoise as well. I think it's worth the 40 Evs when you outspeed so many relevant mons with them. Your choice though.

Last edited:
I suppose I have to take my hat off to your battling skills, because I could never have gotten so high on the ladder with such a serious Water weakness. I mean really, Mega Gyarados sets up all over you and its literally game over. CB Azumarill threatens OHKO's against the entire team bar M-Scizor, which is 2HKO'd by Waterfall over half the time, and always if SR is down. You have Sylveon for most special Water types, but even so, I'd call all of them massive threats. Suicune in particular just beats you; nothing on the team can hurt it, and your best option is literally to Taunt it with Mandibuzz to stop it from getting more than +1. Once you've done that, you still have to Taunt it at regular intervals, once you get burnt you have to Roost every turn, and you're still just going to get PP stalled.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, besides the Water weakness its a good team, but I just can't understand how it got 14th on the ladder, no matter how good a player you are.

I suppose I have to take my hat off to your battling skills, because I could never have gotten so high on the ladder with such a serious Water weakness. I mean really, Mega Gyarados sets up all over you and its literally game over. CB Azumarill threatens OHKO's against the entire team bar M-Scizor, which is 2HKO'd by Waterfall over half the time, and always if SR is down. You have Sylveon for most special Water types, but even so, I'd call all of them massive threats. Suicune in particular just beats you; nothing on the team can hurt it, and your best option is literally to Taunt it with Mandibuzz to stop it from getting more than +1. Once you've done that, you still have to Taunt it at regular intervals, once you get burnt you have to Roost every turn, and you're still just going to get PP stalled.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, besides the Water weakness its a good team, but I just can't understand how it got 14th on the ladder, no matter how good a player you are.
First of all,thank you for the rate.

I'll admit that Mega Gyara is a really big problem. I usually need Mandibuzz healthy to chip away at it with Rocky Helmet + Foul Play and then revenge it with ScarfChomp. I've also resorted to sac'ing Sylveon (which is what it normally tries to setup on) for the sake of hitting it for 45% with hyper voice (pre mevo) and revenging it with ScarfChomp.

For example: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-120437345 (Skip to turn 5)

While this isn't the best example since i got completely haxed by an ice fang flinch + an ice fang crit on Mandibuzz it shows that i can actually play around it

• +1 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gyarados: 135-159 (40.6 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It was on 67% after copping 2 rounds of rocky helmet. I would have roosted once + foul played the second turn if my master plan wasn't so skillfully foiled.

Choice band Azu is a pain but I've usually managed to play around it by either playing extremely aggressively or scouting with protect. I'd say i fear Keldeo a lot more than choice band Azu because if i lose Sylveon, it can start running through my team.

Suicune is indeed the hardest thing for me to beat and more often than not walks through my team. Luckily for me, Crocune isn't too common and I have in fact managed to play around it in the past with a combination of toxic + taunt (Toxic with Heatran then switch right into Mandi and taunt on the CM). If you're interested (or anyone else for that matter), i've uploaded a log + replay from an opponent i played recently on PO as an example:

- https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyxj4f1h8fcbjw2/Jinie Kwon vs daftmau5 at 18h33.html
- https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4md2wrgo03s5d7/Jinie Kwon vs daftmau5 at 18h33.poreplay

I completely agree that this team can be absolutely mauled by water types but thankfully the one which absolutely dumps on my team (Suicune) isn't too common on the ladder. Thanks again for the rate :]

Hey, I ended up at this page through your post in the playstyle of the week thread, because I'm interested in Balanced. This is a really cool team and congrats on the ranking. One thing I noticed though is that you lack 4 Evs on your Scizor. You may want to change that, to make it even better ;)

Edit: Also, I usually give my Heatrans 40 Spe Evs to outspeed base 80s such as Mega-Venusaur, Goodra, Togekiss and Mandibuzz, and Adamant 252 Spe Mega-Mawiles and Azumarills. As a bonus, you outspeed 0 Spe Mega-Blastoise as well. I think it's worth the 40 Evs when you outspeed so many relevant mons with them. Your choice though.
Thanks mate! Nice pick up on the EVs.

Definitely adding those 40 EVs to Heatran. Great idea :]

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Great team you have there, daftmau.

Mega-Scizor is indeed a really fun Mega to build around and use, mostly because, compared to other Megas, its checks and counters are pretty clear cut : some things just beat it and others simply lose to it. As a result, good partners for it are easy to find and kinda obvious. Most teams built around Mega-Scizor end up looking a bit like this, and that's really nothing to do with people copying this team, it's just that some Pokemon such as Heatran, Landorus-I and Sylveon are really good partners for M-Scizor.

In fact, I actually built a team around this mega right before reading this RMT, and the only difference between those two teams is that I used Azumarill and Latias over Sylveon and Mandibuzz. This gears my team more towards offense than yours and gives it a couple of Water resistances which your team sorely lacks, but does make it frailer overall and therefore harder to find a good switch-in to offensive Pokemon like Greninja, Thundurus and Aegislash who can basically run through my team if I'm not careful. But besides that, it follows the basic structure of MScizor / Heatran / Fairy / Defogger / Stallbreaker / Scarfer which most good Mega-Scizor teams adhere to.

Your team is a great representation of Mega-Scizor teams as a whole, as well as a really solid team overall, so well done.

Last edited:
Went testing with your team and i must say you have a switch-in for nearly every core the ou meta has to offer, except..

- Keldeo (even sylveon is 2hko by secret sword after a stealth rock switch-in) and Mawile Offensive Core (The Sub-Focus Punch Set disintegrated this team with play rough having a 50% Chance to OHKO Mandi from full Health)
- Ferrothorn and Keldeo and Wish Support, Oh God its hard to beat unless you weaken ferro significantly you have a high chance of losing that game.
- Rotom Wash, This is a Pain!!!

Other than those i had an 11-0 streak losing only to subpunch mawile and keldeo.
Wonderful team man i suggest you get checks for these please and Thank You :)
Me getting walled.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-122704793

no grass move hurts this team a little, and mawile/azumarill can troll through a lot of this team. but besides that, really solid.

Hey man, it's yo boy Escavalier here just congratulating you on the peak

I was literally 2 points away from topping you on the ladder with my pretty cool screens team but I started tilting so that was gay

I've played against teams like this, and it's pretty accurate that there is a giant BD Azumarill weakness. I think you can probably stop it from setting up if you keep offensive momentum but given the right support or just played well it does shred your team.

Anyways, nice team, and see you around on PS!

I rated.. just saying
Sorry for not replying earlier. I'm nearing my finals.

Went testing with your team and i must say you have a switch-in for nearly every core the ou meta has to offer, except..

- Keldeo (even sylveon is 2hko by secret sword after a stealth rock switch-in) and Mawile Offensive Core (The Sub-Focus Punch Set disintegrated this team with play rough having a 50% Chance to OHKO Mandi from full Health)
- Ferrothorn and Keldeo and Wish Support, Oh God its hard to beat unless you weaken ferro significantly you have a high chance of losing that game.
- Rotom Wash, This is a Pain!!!

Other than those i had an 11-0 streak losing only to subpunch mawile and keldeo.
Wonderful team man i suggest you get checks for these please and Thank You :)
Yeah Keldeo is a damn pain but fortunately secret swords isn't a 2hko:

• 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 147-174 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Also Mawile is pretty hard to deal with. I usually need to sac something and then play very aggressively/wrestle back momentum. Sometimes i'll leave in Sylveon to hit for 25% with hyper voice + then slowly wear it down with foul play + rocky helmet Mandiuzz.

I actually really enjoy playing against Ferrothorn in the sense that i can set up all over it with my Mega Scizor. I can easily boost to +6 while all it can do back to me is 12% leech seed damage + hardly anything from gyro ball/power whip. Other than that, i can smash it with Lando's focus blast + lava plume from Tran.

Thank you for the kind words and rate :]

Great team you have there, daftmau.

Mega-Scizor is indeed a really fun Mega to build around and use, mostly because, compared to other Megas, its checks and counters are pretty clear cut : some things just beat it and others simply lose to it. As a result, good partners for it are easy to find and kinda obvious. Most teams built around Mega-Scizor end up looking a bit like this, and that's really nothing to do with people copying this team, it's just that some Pokemon such as Heatran, Landorus-I and Sylveon are really good partners for M-Scizor.

In fact, I actually built a team around this mega right before reading this RMT, and the only difference between those two teams is that I used Azumarill and Latias over Sylveon and Mandibuzz. This gears my team more towards offense than yours and gives it a couple of Water resistances which your team sorely lacks, but does make it frailer overall and therefore harder to find a good switch-in to offensive Pokemon like Greninja, Thundurus and Aegislash who can basically run through my team if I'm not careful. But besides that, it follows the basic structure of MScizor / Heatran / Fairy / Defogger / Stallbreaker / Scarfer which most good Mega-Scizor teams adhere to.

Your team is a great representation of Mega-Scizor teams as a whole, as well as a really solid team overall, so well done.
Thanks Alba :], that really means a lot. Yeah i wouldn't call this team groundbreaking in any way. It's simply putting together a bunch of mons that work nicely with Mega Scizor and then using Landorus-i to smash stuff.

We should definitely battle with our respective Scizor teams on PS sometime!

Hey man, it's yo boy Escavalier here just congratulating you on the peak

I was literally 2 points away from topping you on the ladder with my pretty cool screens team but I started tilting so that was gay

I've played against teams like this, and it's pretty accurate that there is a giant BD Azumarill weakness. I think you can probably stop it from setting up if you keep offensive momentum but given the right support or just played well it does shred your team.

Anyways, nice team, and see you around on PS!
Cheers Escav :] The ladder giveth and the ladder taketh! Btw, you should give SD Zard X a spin on your dual screens team. I was watching Wiz use it last week and it's pretty gnarly.

Wow this team is pretty solid! I agree with the Breloom idea since Keldeo and Azumarill are pretty common in OU. Apart from that congrats and good luck climbing the ladder!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)