OU Meloetta

Overview
########

With a unique typing and nicely distributed stats, Meloetta once again finds itself in the OU metagame. Meloetta's Normal / Psychic typing and mediocre defense really hurts its viability in a metagame where Dark-types are a dominant force. However, Meloetta can easily switch in on any Ghost-type and beats it thanks to its Ghost immunity. A base 90 Speed and no form of priority can really hurt Meloetta sometimes, as Flying-type priority is very common in the OU metagame. However equip Meloetta with an Assault Vest, and you'll have a strong special attacker that can also take strong special attacks. It can also beat strong special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus, and Keldeo, or even special Aegislash in a one-on-one situation, something that other special attackers can only dream about.

Assault Vest Attacker
########
name: Assault Vest Attacker
move 1: Psyshock
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
ability: Serene Grace
item: Assault Vest
nature: Modest
evs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 112 Spe

Moves
========

Psyshock is something that makes Meloetta stand out from other specially based Assault Vest users; it's not only a good STAB attack, but it also hits the opponents Defense stat instead of their Special Defense, making it a good move to use when Meloetta's trying to beat Pokemon like specially defensive Mega Venusaur and other Assault Vest users. Physical defensive versions of Mega Venusaur cannot switch in on Psyshock but can beat Meloetta if they get in unharmed. Hyper Voice is Meloetta's other STAB attack and while it doesn't hit anything for super effective damage, Hyper Voice hits hard. It's also a sound move, meaning that it hits Pokemon behind Substitute, allowing Meloetta to beat Substitute users such as Kyurem-B. Focus Blast gives Meloetta a chance to beat Steel-types who resist both of Meloetta's STAB attacks, but what is even more crucial is that it gives Meloetta a nice way of hitting the opposing Dark-types. Neither Tyranitar or Bisharp dare switch in on Meloetta as Focus Blast will outright OHKO them. Be aware that if it misses, they will OHKO Meloetta with their STAB attacks. Focus Blast also makes sure that Meloetta isn't setup bait for Ferrothorn or Heatran. Shadow Ball gives Meloetta the ability to beat Ghost-types which could otherwise switch in for free on Hyper Voice thanks to their immunity. It also allows Meloetta to beat almost every Aegislash set, a very common Pokemon. Thanks to Serene Grace, Shadow Ball also has a nice 40% chance of lowering the opponent's Special Defense, forcing the opponent to either switch out or risk getting KOed during the next turn. Thunderbolt is another option if one would prefer Meloetta to handle bulky Flying-types such as Skarmory or Mandibuzz better than Ghost-types. Thunderbolt also has the chance to paralyze the opponent, most likely crippling them for the rest of the match. U-turn is another nice option to both scout out potential checks and grab offensive momentum.

Set Details
========

Assault Vest is the crucial item for Meloetta's bread and butter set. Without any form of recovery outside of Leftovers, Assault Vest becomes the best option. While equipped, Meloetta is extremely bulky on the special side, only having a 30% chance of getting 2HKOed by Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast in the sun and only getting 3HKOed by Modest Landorus's Earth Power, which isn't something many other offensive Pokemon can brag about. The EV spread is a combination of power and bulk. Maximum Special attack investment and a Modest nature make sure Meloetta can 2HKO or OHKO most of the metagame. 112 Speed EVs are used in order to outspeed and OHKO Jolly Mega Tyranitar and Adamant Bisharp with Focus Blast. Bisharp still has Sucker Punch, however meaning it comes down to a mindgame between Sucker Punch and Knock Off. 136 HP EVs gives Meloetta extra bulk and a Stealth Rock number, making sure that Meloetta can switch in as many times as possible, while also reducing damage from poison and burn. The last eight EVs are put into Special Defense in order to boost Meloetta's special bulk even further.

Usage Tips
========

Meloetta's sky-high Special Defense enables it to shrug off any weak special attack, which gives it plenty of switch-in opportunities. Meloetta is also able to beat almost any special attacker in the tier in a one-on-one situation. Try to avoid getting caught by Dark-types, as they will outright OHKO Meloetta if it misses Focus Blast. They can also catch a fleeing Meloetta with Pursuit if you predict incorrectly. Any Aegislash that lacks Iron Head is a free switch-in for Meloetta, as it cannot beat Meloetta without it. However, Meloetta should also watch out for SubToxic set Aegislash, as it can Toxic stall Meloetta until it faints with the combination of King's Shield and Substitute. Entry hazards and passive damage such as sandstorm or poison will wear Meloetta down rapidly, as it has no way outside of a Wish pass to regain its health. Therefore, avoid switching in too many times on entry hazards.

Team Options
========

When it comes down to team support, a good Dark-type check is almost mandatory. Terrakion laughs at Dark-types thanks to its ability Justified, giving it an Attack boost every time it takes a hit from a Dark-type attack, and can retaliate back with STAB Close Combat. Keldeo can also work as it also enjoys weakened walls that it can break past with ease. Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Mega Mawile, or Clefable can also work as Dark-type checks. Meloetta really likes entry hazard support too. Skarmory can lay down Stealth Rock and check Dark-types due to its good physical bulk. Spikes are also very important as they can provide 2HKOs on Pokemon such as Chansey and Sylveon and even turn 2HKOs into OHKOs. Skarmory and Ferrothorn can all lay down both Spikes and Stealth Rock while keeping them on the field with ease thanks to their good natural bulk. Pivots such as Mega Scizor, Landorus-T, and Rotom-W are all Pokemon that can all scout the opposing team and get a safe switch-in for Meloetta, while also helping you regain any lost momentum. Sweepers in general pair really well with Meloetta as they can clean through weakened teams. Pokemon such as Calm Mind Keldeo, Mega Tyranitar, Bulk Up Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir are some examples of sweepers that can set up and finish off weakened teams.

Other Options
########

A set with Relic Song, Zen Headbutt, Shadow Ball, and Close Combat with a Naive nature and an EV spread of 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 208 Spe can be used if you would rather use Meloetta's alternative form, but it struggles to be really effective in the OU metagame. Life Orb gives Meloetta even more power than Assault Vest and lets Meloetta break through even the toughest walls such as Chansey, Sylveon, and Assault Vest users more easily, but there's no other use for that extra power. The the best way to use Meloetta is as a special tank, as there are better all-out special attackers then Meloetta. Leftovers can also be used over Assault Vest if your team has problems keeping entry hazards off your side of the field as the passive recovery will help Meloetta switch in more often, but this will really reduce Meloetta's special bulk and will now lose most one on ones against Pokemons such as Mega Charizard-Y, Landorus, or Thundorus. Dazzling Gleam is an option if you want something to hit both Dragon- and Dark-types for super effective damage, but swapping it out for Focus Blast leaves Meloetta really weak to the most important Dark-types, Bisharp and Tyranitar, as it can cannot OHKO them. A Calm Mind set can be used, but Meloetta has a hard time setting up and it's better to attack right off the bat. Grass Knot is an option to consider if you want to break past both Suicune and specially defensive Hippowdon, as it 2HKOes them both. Choice Specs hits even harder than Life Orb and when combined with Trick, Meloetta can cripple something once it has lost the need for the item anymore. Hidden Power Fire is another option if Meloetta needs a way of getting past Scizor, but Focus Blast is generally better as Meloetta can eventually wear it down. Thunder is an option over Thunderbolt if you're using a rain team, as it has greater power and a 60% paralysis chance thanks to Serene Grace.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Chansey, Sylveon, and Clefable can switch in on Meloetta with ease. Chansey fears nothing from Meloetta, while Sylveon only fears Psyshock if it hasn't invested in Defense. Clefable can switch in on Meloetta and start setting up Calm Mind while Meloetta can at best 3HKO Clefable back.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Bisharp and Tyranitar only fear Focus Blast, but if it misses, it's game over for Meloetta as they will outright OHKO it with their STAB attacks. Be careful, as Bisharp has access to both Sucker Punch and Pursuit, making it a mindgame about whether Meloetta can switch out or not.

**Steel-types**: Just like Dark-types, Steel-types only fear Focus Blast as they take very little damage from Meloetta's other attacks. Mega Scizor can force Meloetta out as long as it's above 60% health, as otherwise Meloetta can 2HKO it with a combination of Shadow Ball and Focus Blast. Focus Blast also helps Meloetta to scare away Ferrothorn which otherwise just uses Meloetta to stack entry hazards.

**Revenge Killers**: Pokemon like Talonflame, Mega Scizor, Mega Mawile, and Bisharp can all finish off Meloetta with their strong physical priority attacks. Faster physical Pokemon like Garchomp, Mega Pinsir, and Terrakion all outspeed Meloetta and can finish it off with their strong STAB attacks.

Last edited:
Hidden Power Ice was a thing on Meloetta builds last gen as a option for dragon slaying. Though Hidden Power's been lowered, she now has Dazzling Gleam to take advantage of. Fairy provides pretty good coverage in general and I think it's worth consideration on a few sets.

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
As someone who played with Meloetta extensively in BWUU, I find that a bulky Calm Mind set is better than the offensive variant, taking advantage of its solid mixed bulk to set up multiple Calm Minds and sweep. Mixed Meloetta is terrible, I don't think it should be mentioned. The issue is that it takes you a turn to switch over, and your opponent can easily take advantage of that turn to set up, switch to a counter, or just attack.

I pretty much only use mixed meloetta. The set I ended up running was Relic Song/Ice Punch/Psychic/Close Combat. Overall I've had great success with it, and have even gotten a few sweeps out of it. Once it gets momentum going, it's very good at keeping it, and it's also good for playing mind games. The ability to instantly transform to turn type weaknesses into resistances is something that should never be overlooked.

Don't forget that Relic Song is not a status move, but a special attack, and a STAB at that. It comes with a decent chance of putting things to sleep, and pirouette forme is really freakin fast. I've been playing with a set that has max speed investment, and bar him using Shadow Sneak, Close Combat in pirouette forme outspeeds and OHKOs Greninja before he's type changed which stops him from being any kind of check. Granted, it does get mauled by Talonflame, and takes 4X damage from flying press, but you're not gonna stay in against either of those anyway.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is an all-out attacker set even worth it this gen? I mean, there are so many better options for a special attacker it's not even funny. Stick to mixed Relic Song for the attacking side.

I don't see offensive CM as a great set either. The fact is that Meloetta can't really set up and expect to succeed with that. Bulky CM *maybe* could do well, but offensive just doesn't have the bulk/resists to set up.

Just my two cents.

Is an all-out attacker set even worth it this gen? I mean, there are so many better options for a special attacker it's not even funny. Stick to mixed Relic Song for the attacking side.

I don't see offensive CM as a great set either. The fact is that Meloetta can't really set up and expect to succeed with that. Bulky CM *maybe* could do well, but offensive just doesn't have the bulk/resists to set up.

Just my two cents.
Well the All-Out attacking set and the Mixed Relic are the ones that I've had the most succes with so far. Both of them playes the same roll just a little different, yes there are better special attackers this gen but it can still be scary when used right so it's more like a niche pokemon. I've had some problems with setting up with the Offencive CM and It generaly feels outclassed by other mons. I might remove or change it of more poeple says the same.

Hidden Power Ice was a thing on Meloetta builds last gen as a option for dragon slaying. Though Hidden Power's been lowered, she now has Dazzling Gleam to take advantage of. Fairy provides pretty good coverage in general and I think it's worth consideration on a few sets.
Well I would still rather use Hidden Power Ice over Dazzling Gleam as HP Ice hits most of the Dragons-types, Landorus-T, and Gliscor harder then Dazzling Gleam. Still it might be worth mentioning.

I'm not QC, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but...

You put "Slow" in Meloetta's cons section, and while I understand what you mean, I think you probably want to reword that a bit, (though I know we're still in skeleton, but still.) 90 base speed in Aria forme is by no means "slow," it's just not fast enough to keep pace with many offensive threats. Once it changes forme though, it becomes a blazingly fast base 128, which certainly helps it out a lot.

Also, Relic Song only has a 20% chance to put the opponent to sleep iirc, as it is 10% before Serene grace kicks in.

EDIT: Mega Kanga is mentioned in the checks and counters section, but she's been banned for the past ever, so she shouldn't get a mention.

Sorry for the late repley, I have something called tests. I'll update the OP in an hour or so, it will be a big update.

Luppy2758 Sleep Clause will not block you from using Relic song but it will negate the sleep if you trigges it.

TheTraininator, QC or not opinions are always appreciated. I'll change all of those things. Thanks a lot for pointing those out.

Sorry for the late repley, I have something called tests. I'll update the OP in an hour or so, it will be a big update.

Luppy2758 Sleep Clause will not block you from using Relic song but it will negate the sleep if you trigges it.

TheTraininator, QC or not opinions are always appreciated. I'll change all of those things. Thanks a lot for pointing those out.
First off, Nice sig. Second off, I think that Melloetta-P might need its own analysis. Also Meloetta knows Dazzling Gleam so she should be able to take out dragons without Hidden Power

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As someone who played with Meloetta extensively in BWUU, I find that a bulky Calm Mind set is better than the offensive variant, taking advantage of its solid mixed bulk to set up multiple Calm Minds and sweep. Mixed Meloetta is terrible, I don't think it should be mentioned. The issue is that it takes you a turn to switch over, and your opponent can easily take advantage of that turn to set up, switch to a counter, or just attack.
Well this is a pretty late response, but your logic is flawed. Meloetta's capabilities varied greatly between BW OU and BW UU. First of all, Mew's dominance in UU made Meloetta-P often a liability, preventing the mixed sets from being all that good. However, OU was a very different story. Due to the harder hitting environment, Meloetta finds a harder time setting up Calm Minds to sweep, and the presence of Tyranitar meant that Meloetta could be completely checkmated by Pursuit at a moment's notice. This made the mixed sets much more potent. I haven't used Meloetta much in XY OU (since Defog and Excadrill make it harder to rack up hazard damage with Relic Song shenanigans), but I can say with fair certainty that its potency in BW UU isn't exactly relevant information.

Also, the fact that you "take a turn to switch over" is certainly a risk factor, but with smart playing, you can change formes as a potential counter switches in and catch them off guard. Besides, being able to pack a mid-game special wallbreaker and a fast late-game cleaner in just one teamslot is pretty awesome, and Meloetta's forme changing capabilities makes her entirely unique at this.

EDIT: I don't necessarily think the CM set is bad, just that perplexingpool overstated its potency. I don't really have enough experience with it to pass more precise judgement.

Last edited:
First off, Nice sig. Second off, I think that Melloetta-P might need its own analysis. Also Meloetta knows Dazzling Gleam so she should be able to take out dragons without Hidden Power
Well my only problem with Dazzling Gleam is that Hyper Voice + Focus Miss Blast usualy gets the jobb done and they have better coverage together. But it's worth mentioning. The only reason to use HP Ice is on the mixed set where you cannot finish of Gliscor with your other attacks.
Also unless QC says otherwise, I sadly don't see any reason to give Meloetta-P it's own analyse. Right now I feel that everything about it can be included in this analyse.

Well this is a pretty late response, but your logic is flawed. Meloetta's capabilities varied greatly between BW OU and BW UU. First of all, Mew's dominance in UU made Meloetta-P often a liability, preventing the mixed sets from being all that good. However, OU was a very different story. Due to the harder hitting environment, Meloetta finds a harder time setting up Calm Minds to sweep, and the presence of Tyranitar meant that Meloetta could be completely checkmated by Pursuit at a moment's notice. This made the mixed sets much more potent. I haven't used Meloetta much in XY OU (since Defog and Excadrill make it harder to rack up hazard damage with Relic Song shenanigans), but I can say with fair certainty that its potency in BW UU isn't exactly relevant information.

Also, the fact that you "take a turn to switch over" is certainly a risk factor, but with smart playing, you can change formes as a potential counter switches in and catch them off guard. Besides, being able to pack a mid-game special wallbreaker and a fast late-game cleaner in just one teamslot is pretty awesome, and Meloetta's forme changing capabilities makes her entirely unique at this.
Defog is really hurting mixed Meloetta's Relic song shinigamins. But I'll stress this even more but Landorus-T can fix this with SR and then U-turn in Meloetta so it can start wrecking havoc. Still when Relic Song is used right it's so scary and if you manage to get the sleep proc then the opponant will have a really hard time.

Well the CM are really striped out of moves and it can easier to be stopped so stripping an other move from it is a really bad idé, that's the reason I never included it in the first place. Right now I feel that CM have lost it's strengh and it's hard to make it work really well without missing the power from the All-out Attacking set. Anyone who have any other oppinion on the CM set?

I would consider Assault Vest as an item option on the Mixed set, unless Expert Belt is compulsory for getting particular KOs. :)

Personally, Naive > Hasty IMO so priority doesn't sting as much; her Sp.Def is high enough anyway, and opting for AV makes the drop not as significant. Also, 2/3 of the cons you listed have to do with vulnerability to physical moves, so why make it worse? 100/77 isn't exactly bad physical bulk. :)

Last edited:
I would consider Assault Vest as an item option on the Mixed set, unless Expert Belt is compulsory for getting particular KOs. :)

Personally, Naive > Hasty IMO so priority doesn't sting as much; her Sp.Def is high enough anyway, and opting for AV makes the drop not as significant. Also, 2/3 of the cons you listed have to do with vulnerability to physical moves, so why make it worse? 100/77 isn't exactly bad physical bulk. :)
Well sadly the expert belt is there for some important 2HKO's but Assault Vest can be used if you want that extra special defense. This one for ex 252 SpA Meloetta Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 204-240 (48.1 - 56.6%) -- 34.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery. I'm glad I predicted the switch in as knock off would have killed me.

Personally I say Hasty > Naive, I would rather switch in on a special attack take it and switch out from ex Talonflame's BB. Never mind, some calcs and test matches later and I've changed my mind. Most of the prio attacks aimed at Meloetta-P did around ~50% at -1 so yea I'm convinced. You also forgot that Meloetta-P have better physical bulk then Meloetta-A, 100/90 (P) compared to 100/77 (A) =P

I'll also add Mandibuzz and Assault Vest Goodra as checks.

@QC, I'll will have some grammar checks on both of my anlyses done before the end of this week.

Last edited:
All right, so the new strategy dex is going up very soon and there are several Pokemon, including this one, that do not currently have completed analyses. Ryuuki, if you could please try to make this look presentable within the next day, that would be helpful. Please contact user darkie once you've made it look presentable (by that I mean "acceptable to be on-site") and refer to and update this pirate pad: https://www.piratepad.ca/p/dex_skeletons

This needs to be done by tomorrow afternoon (GMT -6), so make sure you get it done! If you can't make it look presentable in the next day, please say so in the pirate pad so someone else can make a quick skeleton of it. Thanks!

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, I apologize on behalf of the QC team for not getting back to you on this sooner. We determined that while Meloetta is underused in both actual usage and tournament play, it has several good applications, and can easily be justified for its use over, say, offensive Espeon. That being said, here's what I would do based on QC discussion:

• Relegate the Mixed Relic set to Other Options. Using Relic Song is already somewhat complicated, and in either forme, Meloetta has trouble damaging several defensive targets (without being worn down easily) while keeping up with scarved Pokemon and priority.
  • All-Out Attacker should be the only set, since it's actually a pretty decent set with plenty of utility and power. I would, however, change the order of the moves into the following:
All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Psyshock is pretty much almost always required due to its prized ability to hit three notable threats: Assault Vest Conkeldurr, Mega Venusaur, and Blissey (and to an extent, Chansey; at the very least, you can wear it down after hazards). Hyper Voice differentiates Meloetta from your usual Psychic-type attacker, so that's cool too.

Other changes include Thunderbolt being bolted off main options, since Hyper Voice and Shadow Ball already do major damage to Gyarados (Mega) and Skarmory, respectively. Aside from Politoed, there really aren't too many other Thunderbolt-vulnerable Water-types to speak of. In the AC, also mention Grass Knot, Hidden Power Fire, Choice Specs, and Trick (together with Specs).

Remember to modify your Checks and Counters based on these changes, and organize those threats into more elaborate categories, such as "Special Walls" or "Faster Attackers."

Make these changes, and you're on your way to a swift approval.​

Hey there, I apologize on behalf of the QC team for not getting back to you on this sooner. We determined that while Meloetta is underused in both actual usage and tournament play, it has several good applications, and can easily be justified for its use over, say, offensive Espeon. That being said, here's what I would do based on QC discussion:

• Relegate the Mixed Relic set to Other Options. Using Relic Song is already somewhat complicated, and in either forme, Meloetta has trouble damaging several defensive targets (without being worn down easily) while keeping up with scarved Pokemon and priority.
  • All-Out Attacker should be the only set, since it's actually a pretty decent set with plenty of utility and power. I would, however, change the order of the moves into the following:
All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Psyshock is pretty much almost always required due to its prized ability to hit three notable threats: Assault Vest Conkeldurr, Mega Venusaur, and Blissey (and to an extent, Chansey; at the very least, you can wear it down after hazards). Hyper Voice differentiates Meloetta from your usual Psychic-type attacker, so that's cool too.

Other changes include Thunderbolt being bolted off main options, since Hyper Voice and Shadow Ball already do major damage to Gyarados (Mega) and Skarmory, respectively. Aside from Politoed, there really aren't too many other Thunderbolt-vulnerable Water-types to speak of. In the AC, also mention Grass Knot, Hidden Power Fire, Choice Specs, and Trick (together with Specs).

Remember to modify your Checks and Counters based on these changes, and organize those threats into more elaborate categories, such as "Special Walls" or "Faster Attackers."

Make these changes, and you're on your way to a swift approval.​
Yea I where already working on cleaning up this articale and updating it. But I'll fix those changes and hopefully have it done beofore the end of the day.
But what's the reason for slashing Timid over Modest when Modest nabs you some important 2HKOes on certant tanks like Specialy Defencive Hippowdon? But there were some other more important things you also missed out on.

Edit: Done updating.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Wondering why lefties is preferred over Assault Vest for longevity? It just improves special bulk by a lot, and yes, youre easier to wear down but in general the extra bulk makes you more efficient defensively. Unless meloetta is taking physical hits (it shouldnt be) then why not run AV?

Last edited:
Wondering why lefties is preferred over Assault Vest for longevity? It just improves special bulk by a lot, and yes, youre easier to wear down but in general the extra bulk makes you more efficient defensively. Unless meloetta is taking special hits (it shouldnt be) then why not run AV?
Well I have no good anwser for that one, I would say it's if you don't wont to get worn down so fast. I've almost only used modest life orb is the best way to go when it commes down to wallbreaking. But I can slash AV over leftis if you would rather have it that way.

Ash Borer

Well I have no good anwser for that one, I would say it's if you don't wont to get worn down so fast. I've almost only used modest life orb is the best way to go when it commes down to wallbreaking. But I can slash AV over leftis if you would rather have it that way.
hmmm, I dont like to reach conclusions without experimentation. Give me a bit of time try the thing out on the ladder or smth..

try it yourself too~

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
I'd say Assault Vest and Leftovers both have their uses depending on what you want it to do.

If you want Meloetta to be an offensive presence while also being an usable check to Pokemon such as Greninja, Landorus and Latios (where Assault Vest actually reduces damage by a lot) then Assault Vest is probably the better option.

Leftovers is better against weak hits from Pokemon such as Defensive Heatran, Mega Venusaur since Assault Vest won't effectively sponge the damage; while you still reduce damage taken by 33%, you actually only save 10% or so of your maximum health per attack, which means Leftovers will easily outclass it even short-term. Not saying that you should switch Meloetta into Heatran, but this also applies to Pokemon such as Zapdos, Rotom-W and even Latias to some extent. While you can't really beat Heatran and Zapdos, being able to avoid getting "worn down" is pretty huge for Meloetta.

I guess they both have their uses, I'd probably go with Leftovers first because I don't like Meloetta dealing with extremely powerful special attackers anyway (since you can't really OHKO them to begin with), while Leftovers helps survivability a lot against bulkier, weaker special attacking Pokemon, prime targets for you to come in and lay the hurt on something.

Assault Vest is still a cool idea though, and definitely an option if you need extra checks to some of these stronger Pokemon.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, here's what you have to do to make this analysis more presentable:

Overview
Stress that this thing is a pretty good switch-in to non-SubToxic Aegislash—without Iron Head, Aegislash cannot really threaten it.
With decent Physical Bulk Meloetta will have a hard time taking heavy Physical attacks or Strong Priority attacks.
Decent's not the word you're looking for, try "mediocre" or "below-average."
Meloetta's ability Serene Grace doubles the effect chance of secondary effect making it even hard to wall if you get that boosted chance.
This point is largely nullified by the fact that only two of Meloetta's coverage attacks have a chance to lower Special Defense. Although Serene Grace is by no means a poor ability, Meloetta can't really utilize it to the point where it's truly a selling point.

The Set ItselfI'd like to hear about what you think of Assault Vest you've tested it out. Is it slash-worthy? I think it appears so, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Set Details
A Timid nature is preferred as it lets you outspeed some base 100 pokemons that don’t fully invest in speed.
Like what? Mention more Pokemon by name, like 252 Speed Neutral-natured Kyurem-B, or Adamant Charizard X.
A Modest nature gives you even more power than Timid but at the cost of speed.
Does this get any specific OHKOs or 2HKOs? What can you no longer outspeed?
Life Orb is your preferred item as without it you'll miss out on a lot of 2HKOes.
Again, be a little more specific here. Also, you mention that Meloetta functions as a wallbreaker in the usage tips below. Without Life Orb, Meloetta isn't that great at wallbreaking anymore.

Usage TipsJust be a little more specific here, you use very general terms like "Dark-types," "opposing tanks," and "weaker special attacks." Give some examples and beef this up a bit.

Also the point about wallbreaking I made above applies here, too.

Team Options
When it comes down to team support a good Dark-type check is almost mandatory. Terrakion laughs at Dark-types thanks to its ability Justified, giving it an attack boost every it takes a hit from a Dark-type attack. Justified Lucario and Keldeo can also work.
Where are the Fairy-types? Also, remove Justified Lucario. It's far too frail to consistently check Dark-types.
Meloetta also really likes Hazard support in form of Stealth Rock. Skarmory can lay down Stealth Rock and check Dark-types due to its good Physical bulk.
Spikes too! Check out this important calc:
252+ SpA Life Orb Meloetta Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 246-290 (38.3 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

As with any mention of Stealth Rock or Spikes-stacking, mention Defiant users (particularly since Meloetta tends to function best on offensive teams).

You mentioned in usage tips that Meloetta is a good wallbreaker. If so, where are the teammates that appreciate wallbreakers?

Other Options
Dazzeling Gleam is an option of you want something that hits Dragon-types harder.
Mention that not hitting Dark-types like Bisharp and Tyranitar as hard is a HUGE downside of using Dazzling Gleam.
Hidden Power Fire is an other option if you need some other way of getting past Steel-types if Focus Blast accuracy really discourages you from using it.
Hidden Power Fire should only really be considered for getting past Scizor. Apart from that, it's a poor choice for a coverage move and certainly doesn't cover what Focus Blast does.

Mention Thunderbolt for hitting Skarmory and Mandibuzz extremely hard, and Thunder for Rain Teams (60% paralysis chance thanks to Serene Grace).

Checks and Counters
**Special Walls** such as Blissey and Chansey can switch in on you with ease as they don't fear anything from you. Blissey can only be 2HKOed ny Psyshock if you use a Modest nature with Life Orb and have Stealth Rock on the field.
Remove mention of Blissey, it's outclassed by Chansey.
**Steel-types** just like Dark-types, Steel-types only fears Focus Blast as they take very little damage from you other attacks. Lucario, and Mega Scizor can both force you if they get a switch in.
Remove Lucario.

Fix all of this and I'll give you a stamp.

Ash Borer

Imo throw AV onto the the set as a third slash. LO htis hard, LEfties is good against weaker attacks, AV is good against stronger attacks.

AV has real bulk and some power to back it up, its slash worthy.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)