Metagross

(This is not a thread about discussing whether Metagross goes to ubers or not. Take it somewhere else.)

The good, old-reliable hunk of scrap metal known as Metagross, ready to break opposing bones all over again (and enjoying it too!)

Metagross
Pokedex #:
Type:Steel/Psychic
Base Stats: 80/135/130/95/90/70

Abilities:
Clear Body: Stat reducing moves have no effect on this pokemon
Light Metal (-_-): This Pokemon's weight is halved​

Learnset:

Moves learned by levelling up
Start: Magnet Rise
Start: Take Down
Start: Metal Claw
Start: Confusion
20: Metal Claw
20: Confusion
24: Scary Face
28: Pursuit
32: Bullet Punch
36: Psychic
40: Iron Defense
44: Agility
45: Hammer Arm
53: Meteor Mash
62: Zen Headbutt
71: Hyper Beam

Moves learned through TM/HM
TM01 Claw Sharpen
TM03 Psycho Shock
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM19 Telekinesis
TM21 Frustration
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM48 Canon
TM64 Explosion
TM68 Giga Impact
TM69 Rock Polish
TM70 Flash
TM74 Gyro Ball
TM77 Psych Up
TM78 Smooth Over
TM80 Rock Slide
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM94 Rock Smash
HM01 Cut
HM04 Strength

Notable Moves learned from Move Tutor
Ice Punch
Iron Head
Magnet Rise
ThunderPunch
Trick
Zen Headbutt

Metagross had a good time during the progression of DPPt. Resistance to Normal, Rock, Grass, Ice, as well as Dragon made Metagross thrive in DPPt's hard-hitting metagame. While weaknesses to Fire and Ground didn't make Gross's life any more positive, one fact still remains; Metagross's massive Base 135 Attack allowed him to smash through his opponents like they were walls of cake, and he's happy to do the same thing all over again in this gen.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
POTENTIAL MOVESETS

Metagross@Choice Band
Adamant; 252 HP / 252 Att / 6 Spe

- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- ThunderPunch/Trick
- Zen Headbutt/Explosion

The CB Gross. Existing ever since Gen 3, Metagross still bulldozes through potential collateral damage with its massive Base 135 Attack. Meteor Mash is STAB and does an immense amount of damage to those who do not resist it. Earthquake and ThunderPunch are there to dent any potential switch-ins to Metagross such as Heatran and Skarmory. Finally, Zen Headbutt rounds out the moveset by utilizing Metagross' other STAB as well as hitting things like Swampert and Kingdra hard. Explosion could be used here as well, but beware that it will not KO as many things as it used to due to Explosion's power being cut in half.

Metagross@Life Orb/Shuca Berry
Jolly; 64 HP / 252 Att / 192 Spe

- Rock Polish
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake/ThunderPunch/Claw Sharpen

RPGross. Rock Polish doubles your Speed in an instant, allowing you to get the jump on many pokemon, including Scarfed ones such as Flygon, Jirachi, Heatran, as well as many others. Meteor Mash is there for STAB, and hurts the majority of the metagame for good damage. Ice Punch is there to take care of the flying Genies (Borutorusu, Randorosu, Torunerosu), as well as OHKOing Flygon and dealing heavy damage to opposing Dragons. Earthquake covers opposing Steels as well as OHKOing Heatran (as well as dealing heavy damage to Terakion). ThunderPunch deals with Skarmory and Gyarados, while Claw Sharpen boosts your huge Attack to even further levels so you could do more damage.

Metagross@Leftovers/Shuca Berry/Occa Berry/Lum Berry (Courtesy of GLS)
Adamant; 252 HP / 252 Attac k/ 4 Def

- Stealth Rock
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake/Meteor Mash
- Explosion/Zen Headbutt

Lead Metagross.

Metagross@Occa Berry
Adamant; 240 HP / 252 Att / 16 Spe

- Claw Sharpen
- Meteor Mash
- ThunderPunch/Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Bulky Set-up sweeper. Unlike the Rock Polish set, this set aims to focus on Metagross' natural bulk while steadily increasing his Attack. Claw Sharpen is an obvious choice here (really wish Metagross would get Bulk Up), not only for the Attack boost, but increasing the accuracy of Meteor Mash as well. As Metagross' physical bulk allows him to survive most incoming Earthquakes, Occa Berry is the main item chosen here because it allows Gross to take incoming Fire attacks from the likes of Heatran and Moltres and fire back with Earthquake and ThunderPunch respectively. EVs are placed in Attack and HP to maximize bulk and attacking prowess.

If used on a Trick Room team, you could go with Life Orb instead of Occa Berry for even more power. Life Orb allows Metagross to 2HKO Skarmory with ThunderPunch after a Claw Sharpen. If you go with Zen Headbutt instead of ThunderPunch, you can still OHKO things like Rotom, but you will not be able to do much to Skarmory.

Metagross did not receive anything new this gen, which kinda sucks for him because the metagame revolving around Metagross has changed a whole lot. New threats such as Urugamosu have popped up and they're dangerous as ever. Still, with loads of resistances as well as resistance to Stealth Rock and immunity to Toxic Spikes, Metagross is more than capable of handling his own in this new metagame.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I originally thought metagross got heavy metal, and the move based on pokemon weight. Sadly it did not get this combo.

oh well, standard metagross fair.

Im wondering if a bulky claw sharpen set would be viable.

100% accurate meteor mash and zen headbutt is nice I suppose

Does he really need a thread if he is identical to how he was in gen 4? Also you forgot his traditional Lead set

Metagross@Leftovers/Shuca Berry/Occa Berry/Lum Berry
Adamant
252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Def
Stealth Rock
Bullet Punch
Earthquake/Meteor Mash
Meteor Mash/Explosion/Zen Headbutt

About the only thing I see changing is replacing Explosion for Meteor Mash or possibly Zen Headbutt in gen 5.

Meh he should have gotten levitate as a dream world ability but oh well. I dont see any chanegs it all, same sets most likely to be used.

Brave/Clear Body/Life Orb
0 Speed IVs
252 Health/252 Attack/4 Defense
Claw Sharpen
Meteor Mash
Earthquake/Hammer Arm
Ice Punch/Explosion/Thunderpunch

Nice in Doubles as well as singles with Trick Room Support. A single turn of setup with Claw Sharpen would boost Metagross's accuracy up so that Meteor Mash will never miss, as well as boosting the power of Earthquake and the filler technique. Hammer Arm could be used over Earthquake if you favor the Speed drop in Trick Room, and still hits targets like Heatran and Scizor just as hard. Thunderpunch or Icepunch if you have trouble with Gyrados or Dragons more, or Explosion for the final turn of Trick Room to take yourself and your opponent out with a bang, so your secondary Trick Room setup can come in safely on a blind switch.

Brave/Clear Body/Life Orb
0 Speed IVs
252 Health/252 Attack/4 Defense
Claw Sharpen
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Ice Punch/Explosion/Thunderpunch

Nice in Doubles as well as singles with Trick Room Support. A single turn of setup with Claw Sharpen would boost Metagross's accuracy up so that Meteor Mash will never miss, as well as boosting the power of Earthquake and the filler technique. Thunderpunch or Icepunch if you have trouble with Gyrados or Dragons more, or Explosion for the final turn of Trick Room to take yourself and your opponent out with a bang.

I'd run Hammer arm over EQ for a TR team. Still hits the Steels that resist MM for SE and it lowers(raises) your speed.

Well pretty much as said, these sets are standard fair, and the lead set is really popular in DP play, so nothing is really new for it except like the halved power of Explosion now. The new Light Metal ability doesn't even help limit Low Kick and Grass Knot damage, but not like it really cares about them regardless, but Clear Body is better anyways. I guess the only thing new to play with is Claw Sharpen, and Agility is a higher PP Rock Polish so it should still be used since Meta gets both. Otherwise, it's the same solid pokemon it always was.

Well pretty much as said, these sets are standard fair, and the lead set is really popular in DP play, so nothing is really new for it except like the halved power of Explosion now. The new Light Metal ability doesn't even help limit Low Kick and Grass Knot damage, but not like it really cares about them regardless, but Clear Body is better anyways. I guess the only thing new to play with is Claw Sharpen, and Agility is a higher PP Rock Polish so it should still be used since Meta gets both. Otherwise, it's the same solid pokemon it always was.
Well, Metagross is basically the same as he was from Gen 4, yes. But he's ol' Reliable! Who honestly doesn't love Metagross.....when he doesn't Meteor Miss.....

I think this thread is great so we all have a place to be sad that he did not get Iron Fist. I mean, WHY NOT? His movepool is like 50% punches and he has arms made of iron. I mean, he IS the Iron Leg pokemon, isn't he? Dammit, GameFreak.... >_>

I think this thread is great so we all have a place to be sad that he did not get Iron Fist. I mean, WHY NOT? His movepool is like 50% punches and he has arms made of iron. I mean, he IS the Iron Leg pokemon, isn't he? Dammit, GameFreak.... >_>
Now that you mention that, and seeing as Metagross got Light Metal, I am truly, truly disappoint.

At least T-tar has a tiny bit of application for Tension, but Light Metal... it doesn't even make sense.

Light Metal only makes sense to me in that he can also use Magnet Rise, so perhaps he's just using that same sort of magnetism to make himself feel better when he steps on the scale, as opposed to using it to jump Earthquakes.

I'd definitely consider running trick on the CB set since it lets Gross cripple a lot of his switch-ins, and also because trick got a boost in Gen V (you can switch attacks if you accidentally switch for another choice item). Explosion isn't as useful anymore, since it essentially has half the power it used to, though that's still pretty damn powerful coming from 135 attack. I like:

clear body @ choice band
adamant - 252 atk, 236ish hp, 20ish spe
- meteor mash
- earthquake
- zen headbutt/thunderpunch/explosion
- trick

Trick already lets you cripple Skamory and most bulky waters, so thunderpunch isn't quite as useful as you'd think. And as I said earlier, explosion only gets half-damage, so you can no longer use it to blast through everything in the game. Zen headbutt, however, gets STAB and lets you severely hurt most of your counters without blowing yourself up; The Rotom forms, Zapdos (who now has an electric immunity via dreamworld), and even Gyarados. You can also hit Ludicolo for solid neutral damage. This might not seem like a big deal, but with the threat of drizzle Politoed, you're sure to be seeing more Ludicolos running around.

Metagross no longer has to worry *as much* about Rotom-A, who lost its biggest utility as a spinblocker. That's a good thing, I suppose. The TrickBand set and Rock Polish sets will become more popular, imo. Trick received a buff; you can now Trick and if a Pokemon with a choice item comes in you can choose a different attack instead of being locked in. No more Tricking your Band to a Scarf Rotom-A only to have to switch out. Explosion doesn't seem like an appealing move any more, as Metagross has great bulk and Trick will pretty much ruin switchins like Swampert or Hippowdon (CB Earthquake -> Gyarados/Salamence).

Now that you mention that, and seeing as Metagross got Light Metal, I am truly, truly disappoint.

At least T-tar has a tiny bit of application for Tension, but Light Metal... it doesn't even make sense.
I pissed it didnt get levitate as i dont really watch the anime except once or twice but i saw the movie with deoxys and the metagross in it was levitating/floating/hovering (whichever word you prefer to say)

So metagross actually got WORSE? >_>.Well that sucks...I always loved Metagross.
Basicly you received a half Powered explosion for what?Light Metal?What we scared of Low kicks now?

outside the obvious one how do metagross get badder ???? Gamefreak make His agilygross become more threatening like if in gen 4 its not threatening yet!!!!!
Why ? no rotom duh. Halfed explosion is easilly subsituted by many other moves after all.
After all like Ttar hes one of the pokemon that seems impossible to lost its usage
due to its pressence in the metagame

Well, yeah, we won't see less Metagross. I think, it's still gonna be VERY useful as its one of the few things that can come into Outrage and actually hit back hard.
But I wouldn't say "no rotom". For Metagross, Rotom actually got WORSE. Since we now have two Rotom forms to have 4x Steel resists. But ok, one of them is neutral to thunderpunch. Rotom-H just fucks up Metagross atm. I think Metagross will be considering running new coverage moves. Zen Headbutt and Hammer Arm may be good choices.

I will forever love Lum Berry Metagross Lead.

Btw it seems like Game Freak trolled us pretty epic here with Metagross. They got rid of Rotom-A's ghost type, but at the same time nerfed Explosion.....>_>

Oh and one more thing, AGILITY > ROCK POLISH
lol just my personal preference but no difference =P

outside the obvious one how do metagross get badder ???? Gamefreak make His agilygross become more threatening like if in gen 4 its not threatening yet!!!!!
Why ? no rotom duh. Halfed explosion is easilly subsituted by many other moves after all.
After all like Ttar hes one of the pokemon that seems impossible to lost its usage
due to its pressence in the metagame
Rotom-A still has Levitate so all of them but Rotom-F still resist Meteor Mash and are immune to Earthquake. To hit Rotom-H or Rotom-W SE, you'd have to use Rock Slide or lol Grass Knot. Rotom-S and Rotom-C are atleast hit SE by Ice Punch but I have a feeling that Rotom-H and Rotom-W will still be the most common forms and Zen Headbutt is much better against Rotom-W than a nuetral ThunderPunch. So really, not much has changed with Metagross vs. Rotom-A, except that you can now use a half powered Explosion to take it out.

Added a bulky Claw Sharpen set. Like CDarren said, the bulky Claw Sharpen set would work well in a Trick Room team (although Trick Room has been shortened to 3 turns instead of 5 -_-).

really? are you shitting with me or something? trick room got nerfed? bullshit.

so yeah, as much i love metagross all i can say is that gamefreak trolled him badly. nerfed explosion, nerfed trick room(he was actually good in here!), gave him a horrible and useless ability....he is still reliable but serious wtf?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)