1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Metalheads Thread III

Discussion in 'The Great Library' started by BKC, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Deschain

Deschain

it's my AotY at this point.

here's the other stuff i've liked: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Praemorior/2017-praemorior-searches-for-water-in-the-desert/

i don't really care for The Ocean after Precambrian.

Bilateral is their best imo.

B>TPS>C>TC
  2. Deschain

Deschain

notice a theme?

[​IMG]

click to stream.
    doomvendingmachine and Aladyyn like this.
  3. Deschain

Deschain

oh man, the new Au-Dessus is fire.
  4. Ortheore

Ortheore

What are ppl's thoughts on the new Mastodon album? Personally I find it frustrating, as there are plenty of good bits and pieces but nothing comes together. Probably the biggest issue I have with it is that most of the songs build up to sections that place an emphasis on sounding trippy, which for me dials back the intensity and just kinda ruins it. It's not the sound itself, but the fact that that's what the songs build to. Ironically, some of the songs have some incredibly thick, heavy riffs in the verses and I can't help but think they would've been better served by swapping the heavy stuff with the trippy stuff.

Other albums I downloaded recently:

Amon Amarth- With Oden On Our Side. I like Amon Amarth, but I don't love them, and this album's no different
    Anthrax- Persistence of Time. Welp, looks like another old album that I absolutely can't stand. Vocals are especially bad, occupy a valley of awful between clean and harsh
    Fen- Carrion Skies. Idk, they're decent atmoblack I guess. Need more listens.
    Hacride- Back to Where You've Never Been. Pretty decent, not amazing though. To slap a label on it, it's prog-death type stuff, a band I occasionally see recommended based on Gojira.
    Katatonia- The Great Cold Distance. It's funny, iirc the last post I made in this thread discussed Ghost Brigade, and Katatonia goes for a similar vibe (albeit more mellow) and does it a lot better. Easily my favourite recent purchase so far.
    The Ocean- Precambrian. A bit funny in terms of the way the album is stuctured, it starts off with some balls to the wall aggression that wears you out so that when it eventually balances out you enjoy the quieter moments more than the heavier moments. Imo that's not a good thing, but maybe with a few more listens that'll change
    Soen- Cognitive. Decent, nothing spectacular. Were it not for the vocalist you could easily mistake this for a Tool album
    System of a Down- Toxicity. Haven't actually gotten a chance to listen to it yet, but it's an album that I'm amazed I haven't listened to before (I've pretty much only listened to Chop Suey)
  5. BKC

BKC
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 16 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon championis the Smogon Tour Season 22 Champion

if you liked that katatonia album you definitely have to get their magnum opus, brave murder day. phenomenal record and this is from someone who generally isn't too high on death doom

I've only heard one thing from fen (the malediction fields) which is worth checking out at some point but I would probably give priority to the essentials it's most inspired by (dead as dreams, blut aus nord's early stuff).
  6. RoadsterUFO

RoadsterUFO formerly ufoivy

Any other big Mercyful Fate fans in here?
    doomvendingmachine likes this.
  7. BKC

BKC
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 16 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon championis the Smogon Tour Season 22 Champion

hell yeah, don't break the oath is one of the greatest albums ever. the title track has one of the best moments in music for me
  8. Aladyyn

Aladyyn

If anyone here doesn't like MF, they should leave the hall.
  9. RoadsterUFO

RoadsterUFO formerly ufoivy

1982 Bristol, England Speed Metal. Axe Crazy is a song that was originally released as the A-side of a 7" vinyl single of the same name on the Neat Records label. Along with fellow then Neat Records label mates Raven, The song Axe Crazy is often in contention with songs such as Raven's Faster Than the Speed of Light for contention in regards to one of the earliest "trve" speed metal songs.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017 at 10:21 PM
    doomvendingmachine likes this.
  10. doomvendingmachine

doomvendingmachine
    is a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This new Artificial Brain is destroying me right now
    Inflikted and Robert Alfons like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)