Metalheads United ;D

Sorry if there's already a metal thread here, but whatever! ^^ All who like metal, post you favorite bands and discuss anything that remotely has to do with metal.

My favorite bands are...
Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Lamb of God, Nuclear Assault, and Korpiklaani. :)

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh. I enjoy quite a lot of metal.

Primarily progressive metal (Dream Theater, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, etc.) and power metal (Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish), but I like something from pretty much every genre somewhere.

Almost exclusively listen to metal, melodeath, power, symphonic, thrash, whatever floats my boat at that particular time :D

I guess one could label me as a metalhead, though I listen to a lot more of the mainstream metal than Altmer. I really love the bluesy and supremely heavy metal recorded by Black Sabbath, and the bands that try to continue that (Sleep, Electric Wizard). Apart from that, just good old thrash metal: Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, White Zombie, Testament.

I never could get into Slayer, actually. I hear great things about them all the time, but I think it's just too extreme for me. I want to be able to get into the song and headbang or something but even my ears and brain can't keep up with Slayer's ridiculous tempos. I never could really get into power metal either, because when you listen to one or two songs, it's great, but it gets boring to try to listen to the whole album.

I'm an old skool metal fan too, and i like Slayer. I like almost every subgenres of metal, the one i like the most is thrash, then progressive.

@JimBob: have you listened to Sleep's Dopesmoker? that's a freakin' long track.

My copy of Dopesmoker is 7 feet away from my computer. I'm still looking to pick up a copy of Holy Mountain (I've heard many of the songs but I don't have the album). I saw it in the local music store once, and I decided to buy Dopesmoker first because that was all I had the money for at the time, and then Holy Mountain disappeared the next week I came and they haven't restocked it =[

Altmer

Oh, I like me some old school every once in a while... but not regularly. I pretty much mix and match for what I need, but it always ends up being prog, power or even doom metal (katatonia, swallow the sun...) or something like Anathema.

I like melodeath as wel, particularly Dark Tranquillity and Amon Amarth and the occasional In Flames... there's more, but unless it's obvious like Natural Born Chaos by Soilwork it doesn't jump to mind.

I listen to such a lot that I barely remember anyway. My girlfriend tells me I keep rambling about all these bands so much and she enjoys it...(she likes a lot of the same stuff).

I never could get into Slayer, actually. I hear great things about them all the time, but I think it's just too extreme for me. I want to be able to get into the song and headbang or something but even my ears and brain can't keep up with Slayer's ridiculous tempos. I never could really get into power metal either, because when you listen to one or two songs, it's great, but it gets boring to try to listen to the whole album.
Mhmm-hmm, yeah, It took me a while to get into Slayer because I thought all their songs sounded the same. But after a while you get an ear for it and they all sound unique. ^^

Altmer

Mhmm-hmm, yeah, It took me a while to get into Slayer because I thought all their songs sounded the same. But after a while you get an ear for it and they all sound unique. ^^
The trick is to realise that the vocals aren't the important thing but that the riffs and drums are. Once you get an earful of Lombardo behind the kit and how he works in conjunction with the distorted bulldozer that is the rest of slayer you'll feel right.

Yeah, i never cared about the vocals in Slayer. It's always the same in every song, except the lyrics( hell, did Tom Araya even sing? all i hear is him talking). But i love 'em and they make me headbang at 210 bpm!

edit: Altmer, in one of your posts you said Disturbed aren't metal, so what are they? i think they are nu metal and that's a subgenre of metal.

i listen to a lot of metal (see: last.fm), but wouldn't consider myself a metalhead per se.

these days, my attention is mostly focused on the heaviest of the heavy, doom/sludge/post-metal, or anything polyrhythmic.

Altmer

I consider nu-metal a rock genre. I just consider Disturbed mainstream rock.

The only two true metal bands I like are Metallica and Dream Theater. Megadeth is okay, but those are the primary two bands I listen to.

i don't consider myself a metalhead either, yet i probably listen to more metal than most of my friends

edit: prog metal is the way to go

I love metal but I don't consider myself a metalhead if that makes sense. I love Death (the band), Cynic, Symphony X, Atheist, Bathory, Agalloch, Burzum, Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Dark Tranquillity, Iced Earth, Amon Amarth. Those are just the well known ones I like alot more.

you can alll say things like im not quite a metal head ect about yourself but i got proof i am one :D

Wall of death at a lamb of god gig i was stuck right in the middle of that and had the wall fall on me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mv8KMVc-cw

Cheak out about 1:06 if you can see some dude right in the middle with a blakc hoodie with white/red writing on it then you can see me :D

Yeah, i never cared about the vocals in Slayer. It's always the same in every song, except the lyrics( hell, did Tom Araya even sing? all i hear is him talking). But i love 'em and they make me headbang at 210 bpm!

edit: Altmer, in one of your posts you said Disturbed aren't metal, so what are they? i think they are nu metal and that's a subgenre of metal.
Tom sings on most of the songs in Seasons in the Abyss. Also, listen to Crionics off of their album Show No Mercy, he sings rather melodically. :)

you can alll say things like im not quite a metal head ect about yourself but i got proof i am one :D

Wall of death at a lamb of god gig i was stuck right in the middle of that and had the wall fall on me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mv8KMVc-cw

Cheak out about 1:06 if you can see some dude right in the middle with a blakc hoodie with white/red writing on it then you can see me :D
Ouch, that must have hurt. :( I didn't see you, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)