1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Metalheads United ;D

Discussion in 'Internet Renaissance' started by RoseSunglasses, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Adm. Empoleon

Adm. Empoleon

Why don't you suggest bands instead of insulting? And the fuck do mean by "Cheesy third-rate melodeath, saccharine European flower metal, and miscellaneous mediocrities."?
  2. Deschain

Deschain

death/doom: diSEMBOWELMENT
  3. Luduan

Luduan

I think it's pretty apparent what I'm referring to when I say that: Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Nightwish, Manowar, Dream Theater, etc. etc.

As for suggestions, popemobile is definitely on the right track. Most of my suggestions should seem fairly obvious for their respective genres.

Heavy/power:

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian, The Spectre Within
    Mercyful Fate - Melissa, Don't Break the Oath
    Adramelch - Irae Melanox
    King Diamond - Abigail
    Angel Witch - Angel Witch
    Black Sabbath - first 4 or 5 albums
    Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
    Brocas Helm
    Helstar

80s Manilla Road
    80s Iron Maiden

Death:

Massacra - Final Holocaust, Enjoy the Violence
    Atheist - Unquestionable Presence, Piece of Time
    At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours, With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness, Gardens of Grief
    Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus, Tales from the Thousand Lakes, Privilege of Evil
    Demilich - Nespithe
    Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream
    Abramelin - Abramelin
    Ingurgitating Oblivion - Voyage Towards Abhorrence
    Miasma - Changes
    Autopsy - Mental Funeral
    Gorguts
    Immolation
    Septic Flesh
    Morbid Angel

Thrash:

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill, Flag of Hate
    Slayer - Haunting the Chapel, Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood
    Sodom - Expurse of Sodomy, Persecution Mania
    Destruction - Infernal Overkill
    Sepultura
    Voivod
    Hellhammer / Celtic Frost

Black:

Bethlehem - Dark Metal
    Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, Reverence, Emperor
    Enslaved - Hordanes Land, Vikingligr Veldi
    Burzum - Burzum, Aske, Det som engang var, Filosofem, Hvis lyset tar oss
    Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger, Panzerfaust
    Dissection - The Somberlain, Storm of the Light's Bane
    Immortal - Pure Holocaust, Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
    Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
    Vinterland
    Kvist
    Dawn
    Aeternus
    Sacramentum
    Summoning
    Averse Sefira
    Bathory

Doom:

Skepticism
    Mournful Congregation
    Worship
    Esoteric
    Ras Algethi
    Evoken
    Funeral
    Dolorian
    Winter
  4. popemobile

popemobile

I'll second all of those recs (although I'm not a fan of At The Gates or Amorphis, and I haven't listened to half of the black metal or doom metal bands).

Also for the Doom list, add Bongripper and Pillars

edit: and for the Death list, add Drawn and Quartered because they are seriously one of the best death metal bands ever

edit2:
    add Asphyx to this too. The whole death/doom genre is something I've been trying to get into lately but I'm backlogged into 2012 right now
  5. Nevermore

Nevermore

I already know Asphyx bro. But thanks anyway. Unless you were just saying this in general and not directed at me.

I think I have a Disembowelment album but I haven't listened to it. I'll get around to that. Eventually.
  6. popemobile

popemobile

everyone's been throwing out recommendations so idk who asked for what but I figured I'd add a few because you can never have enough good metal
  7. Luduan

Luduan

I've been meaning to listen to Asphyx. They come highly recommended.
  8. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

Have you heard monothiest? Really. Name one band aside from triptykon that sounds anything like monotheist and triptykon is the continuation of the same project.

WiiTr is The best according to me in atmosperic black metal and that is in no way even close to main stream metal hence the "different tag"

Symphonic Power metal done by a female vocalist. Nightwish is a very good band and calling it mediocre is simply ignorance on your end as they are very successful and have some very good music.

Draconian is mediocre really? have you even heard turning seasons within or do you just criticize everything you hear without really appreciating music?

I admit amon amarth wasn't really different and I really don't like them but I didn't see anymore melodic death in his list which means it was different to him cause he hasn't heard it. Though Dark Tranquillity would be a much better choice IMO.

Calling something mediocre cause you don't like it doesn't make it mediocre to everyone else fool.

And whatever you suggested is mainly old 80's and 90's metal. Most of it sounds similar. Jesus get with the fucking times...
    See I can do that ;)
    But yeah a lot of its pretty good. I like a lot of your doom recs. Atleast you dont have as bad taste as I thought you did :p
  9. gene

gene GENE
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

opinions are great

unless they disagree with yours

must've been missing something all these years. apparently symphonic power metal with a female vocalist is interesting or good or something.
  10. Adm. Empoleon

Adm. Empoleon

Oh shit, my internet's lagging yet again :'(
    I'll just have to download everything you guys suggested :P
  11. popemobile

popemobile

more like badphonic badwer metal
  12. Nevermore

Nevermore

I try to avoid the random bitchfights that always happen in metal threads but just saying that if you're going to try to get off the "opinion" argument then you probably shouldn't be calling someone "ignorant" for not liking it in return.

also just because someone doesn't slap IN MY OPINION in front of everything doesn't mean that they don't acknowledge what they're giving is an opinion.

let me put it like this

"I fucking hate apples, they're disgusting"
    Typically people would just say whatever and accept that, even though they didn't say it, it's their opinion. That's just a regular social skill most people have. idk if i worded that clearly enough but you should get it
    "I fucking hate Nightwish, they're awful"
    Now to this you'd get all defensive and be like WELL THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION DSFAJKDLJFDLKAJFKLDJFAL. No shit, that's why he said it.

just my two cents

Also I'll assume you're all familiar with them but Master are pretty cool early death metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiP_lvt5SNA
  13. Deschain

Deschain

oh my WURD.

Gnaw Their Tongues is sodomizing my ears right now and i fucking love it. <3
  14. Arcticblast

Arcticblast (im)patiently waiting for SPL
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

Would older-styled metalcore such as Converge, Curl Up and Die and Botch and some higher quality deathcore such as Pandora's Dawn be considered metal by anybody here?

In other news, Turisas has a couple new songs out.
  15. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

Im not placing my opinion before his, just saying that calling them shit is your opinion and I dont agree. I think they are great. And I was questioning if he's actually heard them or just read the tag and decided it "sucks".

But yeah sure, whatever...

Subjectivity is a bitch. Lets just end there.
  16. Deschain

Deschain

Cobalt is fucking sick. \m/
  17. Adm. Empoleon

Adm. Empoleon

For those who have FaceBook, there's an International Metalheads Day.
    Problem is, it's on Dio's deathday... so I'm celebrating by playing Dio all day long with my girlfriend.
  18. Trax

Trax

Slayer are for the following types of people

1. Kiddies who think listening to it makes them hardcore.
    2. People who like pointless shitty riffs and/or solos.
    3. People who buy into the whole "anti-god" spiel despite the fact it's an obvious marketing ploy.

The world would be improved significantly if we dropped Napalm on Slayer gigs.
  19. Moo

Moo Professor
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

20. Adm. Empoleon

Adm. Empoleon

Idiot, if you're gonna diss Slayer, then you've dissed all metal bands. Plus, why the fuck would you say "Fuck Slayer" on a metalhead thread?
  21. popemobile

popemobile

I mean, there are plenty of bands better than Slayer, but to say that they're bad is idiotic.
  22. popemobile

popemobile

23. Arcticblast

Arcticblast (im)patiently waiting for SPL
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

Is this only in the new forum because everyone here is an elitist fuck?
  24. popemobile

popemobile

no it's because you get super mad
  25. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Actually its here because we figured if we closed it you guys would just make a new one anyway.

[edit] - guess not

Have a nice day.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)