1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Metalheads United ;D

Discussion in 'Internet Renaissance' started by RoseSunglasses, Jun 7, 2009.

1. popemobile

popemobile

best black metal band is inquisition

2. Adm. Empoleon

Adm. Empoleon

OK, so next month I'll be going to Saudi Arabia where the internet knows nothing about "download limits". So I was planning of dl'ing these bands' entire discography:

What do you guys think?
  3. MK Ultra

MK Ultra BOOGEYMAN
    is a Forum Moderator

I would recommend at least trying Death Magnetic. I can kind of understand not liking Load, and I admit Reload and St. Anger are horrible, but some of The Black Album is good, if not as thrashy as their past stuff. I would dl Load (especially as it's free) just for King Nothing, and Death Magnetic really isn't bad. I'm not much on metal other than Maiden and Metallica though, so I can't comment on the other bands.
  4. popemobile

popemobile

I think you could do about ten thousand times better than this list of crap
  5. gene

gene GENE
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

early sabbath, celtic frost, priest, and slayer are worth hearing, jettison the rest
  6. Morm

Morm

I'd be interested to see what you retort with, it might give me some new bands :D
  7. Nevermore

Nevermore

well since everybody else is doing I'm just going to say that that list has some awesome bands and some shitty ones too so w/e

Also I need more death/doom. Asphyx, Autopsy and Acid Witch are fucking awesome. I also am in the process of checking out Winter and Hooded Menace but idk where to go from there so if anyone wants to recommend me stuff feel free.
    edit: also js if you are going to recommend me stuff like katatonia, paradise lost, my dying bride, etc then just don't because that's not the death/doom i'm looking for

Also Acid Witch are so fucking cool all of you should listen to them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7iQs23y6I

Psychedelic death/doom sorta thing. Like Asphyx meets Electric Wizard. Sorta.
  8. gene

gene GENE
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

esoteric
  9. Nevermore

Nevermore

I'm going to assume that's not a rec for the band, since I've always just heard of them as a funeral doom band.

If you mean it by the standard definition, then elaborate?
  10. gene

gene GENE

i meant the band. they have some death metal elements for sure, and they certainly have a psychedelic sound.
  11. popemobile

popemobile

As far as thrash metal and death metal goes, which looks like that's what he's going for with that list:

Pestilence
    Tribulation
    Repugnant
    Early Sepultura
    Massacra
    Merciless

And for more straight up death metal and black/death metal (which I've been getting into pretty heavily lately):

Necros Christos
    Weapon
    Immolation
    Incantation
    Teitanblood
    Necrovation
    Cemetery Urn
    Ulcerate

If there's anything more specific you're looking for I could probably help you out with that too

edit: that's not to say there wasn't some good stuff on his list. Nothing wrong with Megadeth, Exodus, Iron Maiden, etc.

If anyone wants more thrash, here's a good list for that

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/VelociBrad/top_30_thrash_albums
  12. doomvendingmachine

doomvendingmachine
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Most awesome site for metal newbies ever, and should still be interesting to metal veterans:

http://mapofmetal.com/#/home

I recommend clicking the fullscreen option in the upper right hand corner while viewing the page.
  13. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

Man stop judging so god damn hard. He not only going for ^ stuff. He's also checking out atmospheric black metal and folk metal and other obscure genres within metal and not just straight up black/death/doom. And the some of the other bands are pretty essential listening for any metal head. Maybe yours are superior but that's the beauty of perception. I admit to not liking 1 or 2 of the bands. Example. Metallica. But I still heard all there stuff to see what they were about and to form an opinion. Get my point?

And wow, Acid Witch sounds really cool. You have me interested :) will snatch an album to get a feel of it...
  14. Adm. Empoleon

Adm. Empoleon

Smogon should make this website more like Facebook so I can like your post :D

What do you think of Melechesh? And I need more progressive metal other than Opeth, Symphony X and Dream Theater. :/
  15. Nevermore

Nevermore

They only have two out. Witchtanic Hellucinations and Stoned. Their both pretty damn good, I think I prefer the former though.
    I've always thought the best way to get an opinion on music was to start talking to the "veterans" over forums, going to shows, etc. On forums especially you get a lot more opinions on it, and not just from people who only dig metal music.

My main problem with sites like that, from just a quick glance, is that you're only getting an opinion from a handful of people. It just doesn't let you branch out more. If you ask me, the best way to expand your music taste is to go to sites like Rate Your Music, Last.fm, etc, where you can look up top albums (on the former) and get band suggestions (from the latter), go to forums where you can try out bands that people are talking about, sites like MetalThrone, AllMetalForums, etc etc. Fuck even Metal-Archives is pretty useful.

When I see a site like that, the first thing I think is "whoever's using this isn't getting a valid opinion. They're just listening to what they're told by one group is "classics" instead of hearing from a bunch of different groups".

Is it just that I'm bat shit insane? Or?
  16. popemobile

popemobile

There really were very few worthwhile bands on that list outside of the essentials like Sabbath and Priest.
  17. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

If I start listing then this could be awhile.
    but ill copy paste a few.

Essential Heavy Metal:
    Motorhead
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Balck Sabbath
    Pantera

Pantera was like the first groove metal band with great power ballads. Great stuff even with the sterotype of being shitty. Thats where opinions kick in and not be influenced by purist snobs...

Not really essential but Motorhead in a way is the british Ac/dc and its nice to hear what Lemmy has to say.

Essential thrash:
    Megadeth
    Slayer
    Anthrax
    Metallica (up to ... And Justice for all)

Big for of thrash. My preference in that order.

Stuff I think he trying which is different:

Wolves In The Throne Room
    Eluviete
    Nightwish
    Draconian
    Amon Amarth
    Celtic Frost

And a whole lot more.
    I could list more but now I'm tired of scrolling.

Your intentions were good :) just don't ridicule others taste cause you don't agree with them.

@Adm Empoleon

Never really heard Melechesh so your on own on this one :p
    As for prog metal,
    Here's the good stuff.

Queensr├┐che - One of the earlier prog acts.
    Riverside - Progressive Rock/metal. Very Psychedelic if you ask me. I really enjoy them.
    Ihsahn - Guitarist for emperor. His solo work is brilliant. Especially his new album After. well its Progressive Black Metal to be more accurate.
    Barren Earth - Awesome Melodic Death/Progressive Metal. Though they have released only one album and ep. Very Enjoyable.
    Tool - How can I not list these guys. One of my favourite artists.
    Arcturus - Avant-gardeish progressive stuff. Been listening to them a whole lot lately.

You can google them and decide which ones appeal to you and get those but I personally think they are all great.

@nevermore

Got hold of witchcraft. Going to give it a listen this week. will hit back once I finish enjoying it.
    Already youtubed a couple of tracks and thought it was pretty great ;)
  18. Squarewalker

Squarewalker

Pain Of Salvation - since you like those other bands, you will find PoS very accessible. Start with Remedy Lane, then Scarsick and BE. The Perfect Element Pt. 1 is arguably their absolute best album but it's a grower so probably leave that for later. All of their albums are good for that matter, other than Road Salt (their newest one).
    Green Carnation - they have some slight doom influences as well. The Quiet Offspring is a quite essential album imo.
    Porcupine Tree - their last 4 albums have a lot of metal influences, many riffs wouldn't be out of place on a Tool or Opeth record (Mikael Akerfeldt actually played and sang on a couple of songs on Deadwing)
    maudlin of the Well - these guys throw in death metal, jazz, prog rock, doom, ambient, post-rock, sludge, neoclassical, everything, and even use a wide range of instruments. Start with their Bath album, you won't be disappointed by it I think.
    and of course Tool.
  19. gene

gene GENE

pantera isn't "essential heavy metal". they're probably the band most responsible for giving "metalheads" a bad name.

early fates warning, on the other hand, is essential heavy metal.
  20. TEA_DEMON

TEA_DEMON

They also have two EPs or demos or whatever; Witch House and Midnight Mass.
    Gojira, Nevermore, Cynic, Karnivool, Meshuggah, Mastodon.
  21. Luduan

Luduan

How is any of this "different"? None of these bands are particularly obscure or interesting. Celtic Frost is highly influential thrash/first-wave bm. (It is also the only actually good band in the truncated selection quoted above; I suppose WitTR is about as good as atmospheric USBM gets, which is not very.) Other than the very few genuine "essentials", what comprises his list? Cheesy third-rate melodeath, saccharine European flower metal, and miscellaneous mediocrities.

Also I'm not sure in which universe being comparison with AC/DC is a good thing. Cretinous generic "hell-raising" about booze, balls, and rock-n-roll? Sounds like a party...
  22. popemobile

popemobile

Agreed except for Pantera which is a bad band that makes bad music

A lot of stuff from their discog's are not essential but each bad certainly has put out classics

Nothing here is "different" besides maybe Celtic Frost. The rest are just mediocre in their respective genres

edit: and yeah, melodeath in general is just bad so try to avoid it

I'm just trying to set him in the right direction, something I wish happened to me long before it actually did. And I don't think it's really his "taste" considering he hasn't even downloaded them yet, so I'm definitely helping him out in this case.
  23. TheValkyries

TheValkyries

But... AC/DC is British... Well, not entirely. But most of the members are from the United Kingdom.
  24. TEA_DEMON

TEA_DEMON

Uh AC/DC are Australian.
  25. TheValkyries

TheValkyries

Australian by founding, all of the current members bar Phil Rudd are actually from the U.K.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)