LC Mienfoo

QC 2/3
  • i approve the new spread, also makes Taunt more viable so at least mention it but preferably give it a slash behind Fake Out
  • mention a reckless set in other options
  • stay beautiful
I tried out Taunt a littler earlier today, and I liked what happened. Swirlix typically likes to set up on Mienfoo, and likes to switch in on Knock Off. Taunt keeps Swirlix from setting up, and keeps Spritzee from recovering, Foongus from statusing a switch-in, Slowpoke from healing/twaving, and Gligar from setting up anything. I'm definitely going to slash Taunt.

Outspeeding Pawniard is less important than you think. Essentially, you are giving up FOUR stat points in order to outspeed ONE Pokemon, that will most likely NOT stay in on you. Pawniard's never going to stay in on Mienfoo if Iron Head does more than 52% on Knocked Off Mienfoo, as that indicates that Mienfoo is running speed. I've tested countless spreads, the one I always come back to is 23/14/14 bulk, with either 13 or 12 speed. Why these stats?
  • With 23/14, Sashed Abra has a 1/16 chance to OHKO with Psychic.
  • Chinchou cannot 2HKO with Hydro Pump.
  • Slim chance to live +2 Tirtouga's Waterfall without an Eviolite.
  • With 13 Speed and Stone Edge, you can outpseed and OHKO Larvesta.
  • With 12 Speed you will get the slower U Turn against opposing Mienfoos and (most) Vullaby.
  • Mienfoo should be played as a BULKY PIVOT. This is by far its best role, and it should be used as such. These EVs allow it to take hits much better from both sides of the spectrum, and come back in during later pivots with higher health.
  • You can still pivot for days on end without Eviolite. Porygon's Tri Attack will almost never 2HKO, however the same cannot be said for less bulky spreads.
  • By not investing in Speed, Mienfoo also now becomes a great paralysis absorber. Swap it in on Twave/Stun Spore, and use it as a pivot later in the game to get to a Poke that beats said paralysis abuser without having any other member of your party get paralyzed.
  • The same above can be said for Burns. Trading Misdreavus' Eviolite and 1/3 its health for a burned Foo with 0 speed/attack investment is a good trade.
And yeah, as Briyella said, I'd definitely add a Baton Pass set. You don't necessarily need Sub as Taunt works just as well.

Outspeeding Pawniard is less important than you think. Essentially, you are giving up FOUR stat points in order to outspeed ONE Pokemon, that will most likely NOT stay in on you. Pawniard's never going to stay in on Mienfoo if Iron Head does more than 52% on Knocked Off Mienfoo, as that indicates that Mienfoo is running speed. I've tested countless spreads, the one I always come back to is 23/14/14 bulk, with either 13 or 12 speed. Why these stats?
  • With 23/14, Sashed Abra has a 1/16 chance to OHKO with Psychic.
  • Chinchou cannot 2HKO with Hydro Pump.
  • Slim chance to live +2 Tirtouga's Waterfall without an Eviolite.
  • With 13 Speed and Stone Edge, you can outpseed and OHKO Larvesta.
  • With 12 Speed you will get the slower U Turn against opposing Mienfoos and (most) Vullaby.
  • Mienfoo should be played as a BULKY PIVOT. This is by far its best role, and it should be used as such. These EVs allow it to take hits much better from both sides of the spectrum, and come back in during later pivots with higher health.
  • You can still pivot for days on end without Eviolite. Porygon's Tri Attack will almost never 2HKO, however the same cannot be said for less bulky spreads.
  • By not investing in Speed, Mienfoo also now becomes a great paralysis absorber. Swap it in on Twave/Stun Spore, and use it as a pivot later in the game to get to a Poke that beats said paralysis abuser without having any other member of your party get paralyzed.
  • The same above can be said for Burns. Trading Misdreavus' Eviolite and 1/3 its health for a burned Foo with 0 speed/attack investment is a good trade.
And yeah, as Briyella said, I'd definitely add a Baton Pass set. You don't necessarily need Sub as Taunt works just as well.
I do like the look of your spread, but the point of outspeeding Pawniard is so you can 100% counter it. Consider this scenario:

You switch in your Pawniard on a predicted defog, and get the +2. The following turn, your opponent switches their Mienfoo (with your spread) into a +2 Knock Off. Your opponent takes 8-9 damage (8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9), and they are now at 15 health. Since they are using the slower spread, you go first and attack with a +2 Iron Head and deal 19-24 damage (19, 19, 19, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 24), KOing their Mienfoo.

I know that's an unlikely scenario, but it's still possible. Maybe Pawniard has Knocked Off everything that it needs to and it isn't your win condition, so you figure you may as well sacrifice it. The point of the fast spread is to maximize the chance that you can beat Pawniard, one of the most threatening Pokemon in the meta. This can be helpful on Regencores, where the other two mons need Pawniard gone to operate the best they can. I'm keeping my spread up, but I will mention your bulky spread over the bulky spread currently in Set Details.

I just want to second Wobby's point.
  • Kavatika's scenario isn't something that should worry teams that don't use a Defogger. In that case, Pawniard is only going to get to +2 if it switches in and gets a lucky stat drop from something like Shadow Ball. The chances of that are low enough that I don't think it's worth losing bulk on Mienfoo.
  • Even for teams that do use a Defogger, I think there are better ways to account for Pawniard (i.e. don't mindlessly use Defog when you see your opponent has Pawniard). Try to lure it in and then either KO it or U-turn out (depending on what you're using as a Defogger). Obviously this requires some prediction, but I'd rather rely a bit on my own skill in this one instance and have a more versatile Mienfoo.
  • Even for teams that do use a Defogger AND find themselves in Kavatika's exact situation, it's not like all hope is lost. You'd probably need to fodder something to guarantee that Mienfoo can come in safely, but sometimes that's the price you pay when you opponent outpredicts you.
  • Pawniard is popular, but we're not talking three Ms (last gen) or Gligar level. You can go several matches in a row without seeing one.
The faster spread does make Mienfoo a slightly more foolproof counter to Pawniard, but I think the bulkier spread is better. Wobby's points are all good, but I think the most important one he makes is about playing Mienfoo as a Bulky Pivot. Without the added bulk and slow U-turn, I think the Bulky Attacker set loses a lot of its value (the slow U-turn is the best reason to use it in my opinion). Also, if I really just wanted a dedicated counter to +2 Pawniard, I'd use Timburr instead.

One last point: Taunt isn't particularly useful if you're using the bulky spread because you can't outspeed Swirlix. I don't think this is a huge deal because you can U-turn on the Swirlix switch-in anyway, but if you really like Taunt I suppose that's another reason to use a faster spread.

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Kavatika's scenario was kinda dumb, with the whole defog shit. But here's a more likely one, which will most likely occur. If Mienfoo is your Pawniard switch in it will get knocked off, early game, no doubt about that. Then Pawniard can switch out and is free to set up a Swords Dance or just Iron Head next time it gets in...
+2 236 Atk Pawniard Iron Head vs. 156 HP / 156+ Def Mienfoo: 22-27 (95.6 - 117.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
236 Atk Pawniard Iron Head vs. 156 HP / 156+ Def Mienfoo: 12-15 (52.1 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This is why Mienfoo should be max speed. Yes the other points are valid, but none are as important as this, Pawniard is literally in the top 5 biggest threats this metagame, you want Mienfoo to be able to wall it all the time.

Yeah, either way, the spread is staying the way it is, unless somebody can point out a more efficient max speed spread.

I've got exams today and tomorrow, but after that I'll start writing this up.

idk maybe mention torchic as a teammate since LO foo is one of the most dangerous bp receivers and can BP itself too

mention reflect in oo pls :/

Corkscrew: In that scenario, the fast spread isn't perfect either. If Mienfoo's Eviolite is gone, Iron Head+Sucker Punch does a minimum of 19 damage, and has a 41% chance to KO (which becomes a 65% chance with Stealth Rock up). If Mienfoo isn't at full health, it's probably not going to survive anyway. So if Pawniard makes the right moves, Mienfoo can't switch in more than twice.

Either way, it's a matter of preference I suppose. As long as the bulkier spread gets a mention.

Corkscrew: In that scenario, the fast spread isn't perfect either. If Mienfoo's Eviolite is gone, Iron Head+Sucker Punch does a minimum of 19 damage, and has a 41% chance to KO (which becomes a 65% chance with Stealth Rock up). If Mienfoo isn't at full health, it's probably not going to survive anyway. So if Pawniard makes the right moves, Mienfoo can't switch in more than twice.

Either way, it's a matter of preference I suppose. As long as the bulkier spread gets a mention.
It has had mentioned since I put the faster spread in.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What did you change, lol?

Also, Mienfoo faces more competition from Timburr than Meditite. Maybe mention that defensive sets have competition from Timburr who has better bulk, but it gets U-turn+regen so they play differently (tank/pivot vs. support/pivot) and it's offensive sets have competition from Meditite.

What did you change, lol?

Also, Mienfoo faces more competition from Timburr than Meditite. Maybe mention that defensive sets have competition from Timburr who has better bulk, but it gets U-turn+regen so they play differently (tank/pivot vs. support/pivot) and it's offensive sets have competition from Meditite.
Alright. And basically I just put in more specific points and added some cons

Sub Bulk up still works, I used taunt bulk up on a 44/0/0 team last gen, and I use knock off/baton pass/drain punch/bulk up right now to pass to gligar for sweeps

Ok, I've elaborated a little more on a Baton Pass set in OO. I'll do more in the write-up. Going to remove all mentions of HP Ice now that Gligar is gone.

Should I keep Taunt, even with Swirlix gone?

Rowan

The professor?
Taunt's still good, hazards are more common.

I really don't want Low Sweep on the Life Orb set, it does like nothing. the only 18 or 19 speeders that will switch in are missy and ponyta. the latter you're just risking a burn, obviously the former it won't affect. I'd rather see Fake Out / Stone Edge / Poison Jab in that slot. Poison Jab can 2hko spritzee after rocks or knock off, stone edge is just good for larvesta. You can remove one or both coverage moves if you disagree, I just think both are much more viable than low sweep.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Remember the difference between "it's" and "its".
Additions
Removals
(Comments)
Overview
########
Once at the top of the metagame tier, Mienfoo remains an excellent bulky offensive pivot in this metagame. It can support the team through the newly buffed Knock Off, and remain healthy throughout the match with the nigh-exclusive combination of U-turn and Regenerator. It has the ability check prevalent Pokemon such as Tirtouga, Carvanha, and Pawniard, beating them using it's its powerful Fighting-type STAB, and while also boasting decent Eviolite-boosted bulk. It can do this survive throughout the match using thanks to Regenerator (I don't know what you were trying to say with this sentence, so I just tried to make a coherent point out of it. Feel free to fix if necessary). However, its typing leaves it walled by Fairies, Fairy- and Ghost-types, and also beaten out by common Flying-types. It also despises status, with Burn a burn lowering its damage output and delivering chip damage, and Paralyze paralysis eliminating its speed Speed advantage. It receives competition from Timburr as a bulky pivot, but Mienfoo has better longevity and thanks to U-turn and Regenerator and Meditite for pure offense. However, Meditite competes with its offensive sets, but lacks Knock Off, and Mienfoo has and has Knock Off over Meditite overall greater longevity than both of them, thanks to U-turn and Regenerator.

Bulky Attacker
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Drain Punch / High Jump Kick
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Fake Out / Taunt
ability: Regenerator
item: Eviolite
evs: 76 HP / 116 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Drain Punch is the key move on the set, letting it kill Mienfoo KO several notable threats in the metagame, typically Pokemon weak to Fighting-type moves, (unecessary detail) such as Pawniard, or and Tirtouga. Knock Off is an amazing move, taking items from opponents, and hitting stuff threats like Slowpoke and Misdreavus for solid damage. U-turn preserves momentum, letting you lets Mienfoo get out of a bad spot situation, and activates Regenerator. Fake Out lets you helps Mienfoo get chip damage, and can be use used to break sturdy Sturdy. However, you should not be spamming be careful not to spam it, as it is predictable and offers free switch-ins to your opponent. Only use it when the chip damage is absolutely necessary. Taunt prevents setup, keeps stuff opponents from statusing you crippling Mienfoo with status, blocking blocks recovery, and is great when used in conjunction especially useful with Mienfoo's decent speed tier Speed. High Jump Kick is an option if power is necessary, but the lack of longevity is noticeable an issue.

Set Details
========

In this set, speed Speed is maxed with maximized and bulk is optimized bulk, enhancing the Mienfoo's ability to deal with Pawniard. Without the speed Speed investment, standard Pawniard outspeeds and can land a KO KOes with a +2 Iron Head, even with max if Mienfoo has maximum bulk. If you aren't particularly concerned about Pawniard, a spread of 236 HP / 116 Def / 116 SDef SpD with an Impish nature maximizes bulk, but if you are Mienfoo is running Taunt, this is not advised. Eviolite is chosen to enhance Mienfoo's bulk, and Regenerator provides extra healing, both are necessary to the nature of the set.

Usage Tips
========

This set is geared towards Bulky Offense bulky offense and Balanced balanced teams, either as glue or part of a VoltTurn core. It should be used as a pivot, tanking resisted hits and hitting something with Knock Off, and KOing with Drain Punch as if necessary, and switching out with U-turn. If your opponent has something faster that threatens Mienfoo out, such as Abra or Murkrow, you it should not be U-turning use U-turn, and should instead switch out manually. This set excels early- to mid-game, where it targets can target key threats and cripples either cripple them or takes take them out.

Team Options
========

Mienfoo works well as part of a VoltTurn core. Chinchou can beat Murkrow and other flying-types Flying-types, as well as while also helping with Slowpoke. Magnemite can do this similarly as well, but is not as bulky, and can beat Fairies but it trades bulk for the ability to beat the Fairy-types that wall Mienfoo. Vullaby and Larvesta can beat Foongus and Croagunk, and they also have U-turn. A regencore Regenerator core can also be formed alongside Slowpoke and Foongus, creating a highly durable partnership, trio that spreads can spread status around and Knock Off items to weaken foes, helping Mienfoo spread Knock Off, further weakening a the opposing team for a late-game sweep lategame. Foongus beats Spritzee, Slowpoke beats Meditite, and Mienfoo beats bulky special walls that block the other two. Other fighting-types Fighting-types, as well as Dwebble and Tirtouga, appreciate Mienfoo's ability to use Knock Off on walls such as Slowpoke and Spritzee. Dwebble and Tirtouga also appreciate this.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: High Jump Kick
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

High Jump Kick is your Mienfoo's STAB move here, and your its primary revenge killing move. Don't spam it if your opponent still has a ghost-type Ghost-type, since you run the risk of Mienfoo losing half of your its health. Knock Off goes well with a scarf Choice Scarf set, and as it can surprise something that would normally be faster than you Mienfoo, and helps clear out ghost-types Ghost-types. Drain Punch should be used when you don't want to risk a High Jump Kick miss, and need to revenge something. U-turn should be used on predicted switches, and it can activate Regenerator. Stone Edge is also an option in order to hit Larvesta, and can be used over Drain Punch.

Set Details
========

The EVs are standard for an offensive Pokemon, maxing offenses maximizing Attack and Speed , and an Adamant nature is chosen to hit as with a Choice Scarf, Mienfoo still hits 24 speed after scarf Speed. Choice Scarf fits the revenge killer and cleaner role of this set, and Regenerator is the best of your Mienfoo's abilities.

Usage Tips
========

This set should spam Knock Off and U-turn early game, using Mienfoo's STAB to revenge kill when needed. High Jump Kick is powerful enough to clean up late game late-game once all resists and immunities have been removed from the game. This set fits best on an fast offensive team, where the utility given by the Eviolite set is not needed.

Team Options
========

This set works best on a VoltTurn team, and appreciates partners such as Magnemite, and Chinchou, and Archen, who which can help to beat flying-types Flying-types, as well as Archen. Larvesta and Vullaby are also appreciated, and as they can beat stuff like threats such as Foongus and Croagunk. Pursuit Pawniard is a really cool good teammate, easily removing Misdreavus and other Ghost-types from the game, so it can allowing Mienfoo to clean up lategame late-game. Other lategame Late-game sweepers, such as Tirtouga, also appreciate the Mienfoo's Knock Off support.

Life Orb
########
name: Life Orb
move 4: Fake Out / Stone Edge / Poison Jab
item: Life Orb

Moves
========

High Jump Kick is the primary move and wallbreaking tool on this set, and is the primary wallbreaking tool on this set. Knock Off punishes Ghost-types, and helps can help to wallbreak and weaken your Mienfoo's checks and counters. U-turn preseves preserves momentum, and activates Regenerator to help mitigate Life Orb damage recoil. Fake Out is works as general priority and chip damage. You Mienfoo can use it if you are your team is especially weak to Pokemon such as Dwebble or Tirtouga, although this is better done by the Bulky Attacker bulky attacker set. If you do include Fake Out, make sure not to give your opponents free switch-ins switch-in opportunities, and although the chip damage is nice, the life orb Life Orb recoil can add up, even if you switch Mienfoo switches out. Stone Edge is can be used for Larvesta, who which otherwise walls you Mienfoo and can burn you it with Flame Body. It also hits Ponyta on the switch without risking a burn, but should only be done when you can it is in the KO it range. Poison Jab gives you Mienfoo the ability to 2HKO a Knocked Off Spritzee if it has already lost its item to Knock Off.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is standard for an offensive Pokemon, investing in Attack and Speed to maximize damage output and offensive potential. Life Orb is the key item of the set, and emphasizes its Mienfoo's wallbreaking potential capabilities, and its recoil can be mitigated through Regenerator.

Usage Tips
========

This set is best off used as a hit and run hit-and-run attacker on bulky offense and or offensive teams that need a longer-lasting wall breaker wallbreaker, and don't require the bulk of the main set. It is a little tougher to play with as it can't really take hits and is really hard to switch in since it's so frail due to its frailty. This set isn't nearly as reliable against Pawniard, as it is beaten by a combination of knock off Knock Off and sucker punch Sucker Punch if it's at +2, and iron head Iron Head flat out OHKOes you Mienfoo on the switch. Nonetheless, the power of this set is immense, and the strength the Knock Off + U-turn is further amplified thanks to by Life Orb. You Mienfoo can even manage a to KO on a full health Slowpoke from full health with the this combination. This set works well early- and to mid-game to weaken your opponent's team by smashing stuff with High Jump Kick, and hitting stuff with Knock Off.

Team Options
========

This set works best on VoltTurn teams, thanks to easier switch-ins the greater ease of switching in. It appreciates stuff like teammates such as Larvesta and Vullaby, who which can beat Croagunk and Foongus for it. Flying-type checks Checks for Flying-types, such as Chinchou and Archen, are also appreciated. Lategame Late-game sweepers like such as those mentioned above also like appreciate the wall breaking wallbreaking and Knock Off support.

Other Options
########

Mienfoo has a few other options that it can utilize. A subpass SubPass set with Life Orb or Eviolite can be used on baton pass Baton Pass teams. It can use a reckless Reckless set with High Jump Kick can be used for even moar more (oh come on) power, but regenerator Regenerator is usually more advantageous. Force Palm is a unique option. It's Its paralysis chance is the same as scald's Scald's burn rate, and it can paralyze stuff like threats such as Ponyta and Murkrow.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Fairies Fairy-types, namely Swirlix Spritzee (haha, BANNED!), resist most of Mienfoo's common options moves, and usually have the bulk to take them. They can KO Mienfoo with their STAB moves, or simply use it as setup bait. (Yeah, even though Spritzee is the next most dominant Fairy, I think that this section may need some minor changes to fit it better than Swirlix.)
**Poison-types**: Poison types Poison-types resist its stab Mienfoo's STAB, and some are bulky enough to take most other hits. Foongus can constantly check it Mienfoo thanks to regenerator Regenerator and it can hit cripple it with stun spore Stun Spore. Koffing can burn it, Grimer has sticky hold Sticky Hold, and Tentacool hurts it if it switches can switch in on Drain Punch thanks to liquid ooze to hurt it with Liquid Ooze.
**Misdreavus**: Misdreavus can KO it Mienfoo with Dazzling Gleam, burn it with Will-O-Wisp, and take it's its attacks relatively well, but it won't doesn't like Knock Off.
**Slowpoke**: Slowpoke has the bulk to take most of Mienfoo's attacks, although it won't like U-turn or Knock Off, and is KOed by the combination from the LO Life Orb set.
**Flame Body users Users**: Flame Body users have a chance to burn Mienfoo, effectively neutering it's its offensive prowess and hampering it's its survivability. Larvesta resists it's its STAB and can threaten a to KO with Flare Blitz. Ponyta outspeeds Mienfoo, and also threatens a KO with Flare Blitz and outspeeds it.
**Flying-types**: Murkrow and other offensive Flying-types can take it Mienfoo out with their Flying-type STAB moves, and most are faster than it. Fletchling can completely bypass it using with Acrobatics, but it cannot KO if it is a 55 BP Acrobatics still holds an item. Most However, most Flying-types have trouble switching in however, since a lot of them are neutral to Fighting-type moves.
**Abra**: Abra outspeeds Mienfoo and OHKOes can OHKO it with Psychic, but it has trouble switching in.
Overview
########
Once at the top of the tier, Mienfoo remains an excellent bulky offensive pivot in this metagame. It can support the team through the newly buffed Knock Off, and remain healthy throughout the match with the nigh-exclusive combination of U-turn and Regenerator. It has the ability check prevalent Pokemon such as Tirtouga, Carvanha, and Pawniard, beating them using its powerful Fighting-type STAB, while also boasting decent Eviolite-boosted bulk. It can survive throughout the match thanks to Regenerator. However, its typing leaves it walled by Fairy- and Ghost-types, and also beaten out by common Flying-types. It also despises status, with a burn lowering its damage output and delivering chip damage, and paralysis eliminating its Speed advantage. It receives competition from Timburr as a bulky pivot, and Meditite for pure offense. However, Meditite lacks Knock Off, and Mienfoo has overall greater longevity than both of them, thanks to U-turn and Regenerator.

Bulky Attacker
########

Moves
========

Drain Punch is the key move on the set, letting Mienfoo KO several notable threats in the metagame, such as Pawniard and Tirtouga. Knock Off is an amazing move, taking items from opponents, and hitting threats like Slowpoke and Misdreavus for solid damage. U-turn preserves momentum, lets Mienfoo get out of a bad situation, and activates Regenerator. Fake Out helps Mienfoo get chip damage, and can be used to break Sturdy. However, be be careful not to spam it, as it is predictable and offers free switch-ins to your opponent. Only use it when the chip damage is absolutely necessary. Taunt prevents setup, keeps opponents from you crippling Mienfoo with status, blocks recovery, and is especially useful with Mienfoo's decent Speed. High Jump Kick is an option if power is necessary, but the lack of longevity is an issue.

Set Details
========

In this set, Speed is maximized and bulk is optimized, enhancing Mienfoo's ability to deal with Pawniard. Without the Speed investment, standard Pawniard outspeeds and KOes with a +2 Iron Head, even if Mienfoo has maximum bulk. If you aren't particularly concerned about Pawniard, a spread of 236 HP / 116 Def / 116 SpD with an Impish nature maximizes bulk, but if Mienfoo is running Taunt, this is not advised. Eviolite is chosen to enhance Mienfoo's bulk, and Regenerator provides extra healing.

Usage Tips
========

This set is geared towards bulky offense and balanced teams, either as glue or part of a VoltTurn core. It should be used as a pivot, tanking resisted hits and hitting something with Knock Off, KOing with Drain Punch if necessary, and switching out with U-turn. If your opponent has something faster that threatens Mienfoo, such as Abra or Murkrow, it should not use U-turn, and should instead switch out manually. This set excels early- to mid-game, where it can target key threats and either cripple them or take them out.

Team Options
========

Mienfoo works well as part of a VoltTurn core. Chinchou can beat Murkrow and other Flying-types, while also helping with Slowpoke. Magnemite can do this as well, but but it trades bulk for the ability to beat the Fairy-types that wall Mienfoo. Vullaby and Larvesta can beat Foongus and Croagunk, and they also have U-turn. A Regenerator core can be formed alongside Slowpoke and Foongus, creating a highly durable trio that can spread status and Knock Off items to weaken foes, weakening the opposing team for a late-game sweep. Foongus beats Spritzee, Slowpoke beats Meditite, and Mienfoo beats bulky special walls that block the other two. Other Fighting-types, as well as Dwebble and Tirtouga, appreciate Mienfoo's ability to use Knock Off on walls such as Slowpoke and Spritzee.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

High Jump Kick is Mienfoo's STAB move here, and its primary revenge killing move. Don't spam it if your opponent still has a Ghost-type, since you run the risk of Mienfoo losing half of its health. Knock Off goes well with a Choice Scarf set, as it can surprise something that would normally be faster than Mienfoo, and helps clear out Ghost-types. Drain Punch should be used when you don't want to risk a High Jump Kick miss, and need to revenge something. U-turn should be used on predicted switches, and it can activate Regenerator. Stone Edge is also an option in order to hit Larvesta, and can be used over Drain Punch.

Set Details
========

The EVs are standard for an offensive Pokemon, maximizing Attack and Speed , and an Adamant nature is chosen as with a Choice Scarf, Mienfoo still hits 24 Speed. Choice Scarf fits the revenge killer and cleaner role of this set, and Regenerator is the best of Mienfoo's abilities.

Usage Tips
========

This set should spam Knock Off and U-turn early game, using Mienfoo's STAB to revenge kill when needed. High Jump Kick is powerful enough to clean up late-game once all resists and immunities have been removed. This set fits best on an fast offensive team, where the utility given by the Eviolite set is not needed.

Team Options
========

This set works best on a VoltTurn team, and appreciates partners such as Magnemite, Chinchou, and Archen, which can help to beat Flying-types. Larvesta and Vullaby are also appreciated, as they can beat threats such as Foongus and Croagunk. Pursuit Pawniard is a really good teammate, easily removing Misdreavus and other Ghost-types, allowing Mienfoo to clean up late-game. Late-game sweepers, such as Tirtouga, appreciate Mienfoo's Knock Off support.

Life Orb
########

Moves
========

High Jump Kick is the primary move and wallbreaking tool on this set. Knock Off punishes Ghost-types, and can help to wallbreak and weaken Mienfoo's checks and counters. U-turn preserves momentum and activates Regenerator to help mitigate Life Orb recoil. Fake Out works as general priority and chip damage. Mienfoo can use it if your team is especially weak to Pokemon such as Dwebble or Tirtouga, although this is better done by the bulky attacker set. If you do include Fake Out, make sure not to give your opponents free switch-in opportunities, and although the chip damage is nice, the Life Orb recoil can add up, even if Mienfoo switches out. Stone Edge can be used for Larvesta, which otherwise walls Mienfoo and can burn it with Flame Body. It also hits Ponyta on the switch without risking a burn, but should only be done when it is in the KO range. Poison Jab gives Mienfoo the ability to 2HKO Spritzee if it has already lost its item to Knock Off.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is standard for an offensive Pokemon, investing in Attack and Speed to maximize damage output and offensive potential. Life Orb is the key item of the set, and emphasizes Mienfoo's wallbreaking capabilities, and its recoil can be mitigated through Regenerator.

Usage Tips
========

This set is best off used as a hit-and-run attacker on bulky offense or offensive teams that need a longer-lasting wallbreaker, and don't require the bulk of the main set. It is a little tougher to play with as it can't really take hits and is hard to switch in due to its frailty. This set isn't nearly as reliable against Pawniard, as it is beaten by a combination of Knock Off and Sucker Punch if it's at +2, and Iron Head flat out OHKOes Mienfoo on the switch. Nonetheless, the power of this set is immense, and the strength the Knock Off + U-turn is further amplified by Life Orb. Mienfoo can even manage to KO a full health Slowpoke with this combination. This set works well early- to mid-game to weaken your opponent's team by smashing stuff with High Jump Kick and Knock Off.

Team Options
========

This set works best on VoltTurn teams, thanks to the greater ease of switching in. It appreciates teammates such as Larvesta and Vullaby, which can beat Croagunk and Foongus for it. Checks for Flying-types, such as Chinchou and Archen, are also appreciated. Late-game sweepers such as those mentioned above also appreciate the wallbreaking and Knock Off support.

Other Options
########

Mienfoo has a few other options that it can utilize. A SubPass set with Life Orb or Eviolite can be used on Baton Pass teams. It can use a Reckless set with High Jump Kick can be used for even more power, but Regenerator is usually more advantageous. Force Palm is a unique option. Its paralysis chance is the same as Scald's burn rate, and it can paralyze threats such as Ponyta and Murkrow.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types, namely Spritzee, resist most of Mienfoo's common moves, and usually have the bulk to take them. They can KO Mienfoo with their STAB moves, or simply use it as setup bait.
**Poison-types**: Poison-types resist Mienfoo's STAB, and some are bulky enough to take most other hits. Foongus can constantly check Mienfoo thanks to Regenerator and it can cripple it with Stun Spore. Koffing can burn it, Grimer has Sticky Hold, and Tentacool can switch in on Drain Punch to hurt it with Liquid Ooze.
**Misdreavus**: Misdreavus can KO Mienfoo with Dazzling Gleam, burn it with Will-O-Wisp, and take its attacks relatively well, but it doesn't like Knock Off.
**Slowpoke**: Slowpoke has the bulk to take most of Mienfoo's attacks, although it won't like U-turn or Knock Off, and is KOed by the combination from the Life Orb set.
**Flame Body Users**: Flame Body users have a chance to burn Mienfoo, effectively neutering its offensive prowess and hampering its survivability. Larvesta resists its STAB and can threaten to KO with Flare Blitz. Ponyta outspeeds Mienfoo, and also threatens a KO with Flare Blitz.
**Flying-types**: Murkrow and other offensive Flying-types can take Mienfoo out with their Flying-type STAB moves, and most are faster than it. Fletchling can completely bypass it with Acrobatics, but it cannot KO if it still holds an item. However, most Flying-types have trouble switching in, since a lot of them are neutral to Fighting-type moves.
**Abra**: Abra outspeeds Mienfoo and can OHKO it with Psychic, but it has trouble switching in.
EDIT: "Dragons" and "Fairies" are allowed but not preferred. The main reason I changed it is simply for the sake of consistency, as "Fairies and Ghost-types" doesn't work as well as simply "Fairies". For these reasons, "Fairy- and Ghost-types" is overall better.

GP approved 1/2

Last edited:
Just a quick note about what you have so far Legitimate Username
  • When talking about a Pokemon's typing, always follow with a "-type" (Ghost-types, not Ghosts). The only exceptions are for "Dragons" and "Fairies".
edit: alright, fine with me. and implemented. I think I fixed that one sentence in the overview you weren't sure about

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kavatika

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########
Once at the top of the tier, Mienfoo remains an excellent bulky offensive pivot in this metagame. It can support the team through the newly buffed Knock Off, (RC) and remain healthy throughout the match with the nigh-exclusive combination of U-turn and Regenerator. It has the ability check prevalent Pokemon such as Tirtouga, Carvanha, and Pawniard, beating them using its powerful Fighting-type STAB, while also boasting decent Eviolite-boosted bulk and excellent survivability thanks to Regenerator. However, its typing leaves it walled by Fairy- and Ghost-types, (RC) and also beaten out by common Flying-types. It also despises status, with a burn lowering its damage output and delivering chip damage, (RC) and paralysis eliminating its Speed advantage. It receives competition from Timburr as a bulky pivot, (RC) and Meditite for pure offense. However, Meditite lacks Knock Off, (RC) and Mienfoo has overall greater longevity than both of them, (RC) thanks to U-turn and Regenerator.

Bulky Attacker
########

Moves
========

Drain Punch is the key move on the set, letting Mienfoo KO several notable threats in the metagame, such as Pawniard and Tirtouga. Knock Off is an amazing move, taking items from opponents, (RC) and hitting threats like Slowpoke and Misdreavus for solid damage. U-turn preserves momentum, lets Mienfoo get out of a bad situation, and activates Regenerator. Fake Out helps Mienfoo get chip damage, (RC) and can be used to break Sturdy. However, be be careful not to spam it, as it is predictable and can offers free switch-ins to your opponent. Only use it when the chip damage is absolutely necessary. Taunt prevents setup, keeps opponents from you crippling Mienfoo with status, blocks recovery, and is especially useful with Mienfoo's decent Speed. High Jump Kick is an option if power is necessary, but the lack of longevity is an issue.

Set Details
========

In this set, Speed is maximized and bulk is optimized, enhancing Mienfoo's ability to deal with Pawniard. Without the Speed investment, standard Pawniard outspeeds and KOes with a +2 Iron Head, even if Mienfoo has maximum bulk. If you aren't particularly concerned about Pawniard, a spread of 236 HP / 116 Def / 116 SpD with an Impish nature maximizes bulk, but if Mienfoo is running Taunt, this is not advised. Eviolite is chosen to enhance Mienfoo's bulk, (RC) and Regenerator provides extra healing.

Usage Tips
========

This set is geared towards bulky offense and balanced teams, either as glue or part of a VoltTurn core. It should be used as a pivot, tanking resisted hits and hitting something with Knock Off, KOing with Drain Punch if necessary, and switching out with U-turn. If your opponent has something faster that threatens Mienfoo, such as Abra or Murkrow, it should not use U-turn, and but should instead switch out manually. This set excels early- to mid-game, where it can target key threats and either cripple them or take them out.

Team Options
========

Mienfoo works well as part of a VoltTurn core. Chinchou can beat Murkrow and other Flying-types, (RC) while also helping with Slowpoke. Magnemite can do this as well, but but it trades bulk for the ability to beat the Fairy-types that wall Mienfoo. Vullaby and Larvesta can beat Foongus and Croagunk, (RC) and they also have U-turn. A Regenerator core can be formed alongside Slowpoke and Foongus, creating a highly durable trio that can spread status and Knock Off items to weaken foes, weakening the opposing team for a late-game sweep. Foongus beats Spritzee, Slowpoke beats Meditite, and Mienfoo beats bulky special walls that block the other two. Other Fighting-types, as well as Dwebble and Tirtouga, appreciate Mienfoo's ability to use Knock Off on walls such as Slowpoke and Spritzee.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

High Jump Kick is Mienfoo's STAB move here, and as well as its primary revenge killing move. Don't spam it if your opponent still has a Ghost-type, since as you run the risk of Mienfoo losing half of its health. Knock Off goes well with a Choice Scarf set, as it can surprise something that would normally be faster than Mienfoo, (RC) and helps clear out Ghost-types. Drain Punch should be used when you don't want to risk a High Jump Kick miss, (RC) and need to revenge something. U-turn should be used on predicted switches, (RC) and it can activates Regenerator. Stone Edge is also an option in order to hit Larvesta, and can be used giving it utility over Drain Punch.

Set Details
========

The EVs are standard for an offensive Pokemon, maximizing Attack and Speed, (spacing) and an Adamant nature is chosen as with a Choice Scarf, Mienfoo still hits 24 Speed. Choice Scarf fits the revenge killer and cleaner role of this set, and Regenerator is the best of Mienfoo's abilities.

Usage Tips
========

This set should spam Knock Off and U-turn early game, using Mienfoo's STAB to revenge kill when needed. High Jump Kick is powerful enough to clean up late-game once all Pokemon that resist or are immune to it resists and immunities have been removed. This set fits best on an fast offensive team, where the utility given by the Eviolite set is not needed.

Team Options
========

This set works best on a VoltTurn team, and appreciates partners such as Magnemite, Chinchou, and Archen, which can help to beat Flying-types. Larvesta and Vullaby are also appreciated, as they can beat threats such as Foongus and Croagunk. Pursuit Pawniard is a really good teammate, easily removing Misdreavus and other Ghost-types, allowing Mienfoo to clean up late-game. Late-game sweepers, such as Tirtouga, appreciate Mienfoo's Knock Off support.

Life Orb
########

Moves
========

High Jump Kick is the primary move and wallbreaking tool on this set. Knock Off punishes Ghost-types, (RC) and can help to wallbreak and weaken Mienfoo's checks and counters. U-turn preserves momentum and activates Regenerator to help mitigate Life Orb recoil. Fake Out works as general priority and chip damage. Mienfoo can use it if your team is especially weak to Pokemon such as Dwebble or Tirtouga, although this is better done by the bulky attacker set. If you do include Fake Out, make sure not to give your opponents free switch-in opportunities, and although the chip damage is nice, the Life Orb recoil can add up, even if Mienfoo switches out. Stone Edge can be used for Larvesta, which otherwise walls Mienfoo and can burn it with Flame Body. It also hits Ponyta on the switch without risking a burn, but should only be done when it is in the KO range. Poison Jab gives Mienfoo the ability to 2HKO Spritzee if it has already lost its item to Knock Off.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is standard for an offensive Pokemon, investing in Attack and Speed to maximize damage output and offensive potential. Life Orb is the key item of the set, and emphasizing Mienfoo's wallbreaking capabilities, and its recoil can be mitigated through Regenerator.

Usage Tips
========

This set is best off used as a hit-and-run attacker on bulky offense or offensive teams that need a longer-lasting wallbreaker, (RC) and don't require the bulk of the main set. It is a little tougher to play with as it can't really take hits and is hard to switch in due to its frailty. This set isn't nearly as reliable against Pawniard, as it is beaten by a combination of Knock Off and Sucker Punch if it's at +2, and Iron Head flat out OHKOes Mienfoo on the switch. Nonetheless, the power of this set is immense, and the strength the Knock Off + U-turn is further amplified by Life Orb. Mienfoo can even manage to KO a full-health Slowpoke with this combination. This set works well early- to mid-game to weaken your opponent's team by smashing stuff opposing Pokemon with High Jump Kick and Knock Off.

Team Options
========

This set works best on VoltTurn teams, (RC) thanks to the greater ease of switching in. It appreciates teammates such as Larvesta and Vullaby, which can beat Croagunk and Foongus for it. Checks for Flying-types, such as Chinchou and Archen, are also appreciated. Late-game sweepers such as those mentioned above Say them anyway; sets must be independent of each other also appreciate the wallbreaking and Knock Off support.

Other Options
########

Mienfoo has a few other options that it can utilize. A SubPass set with Life Orb or Eviolite can be used on Baton Pass teams. It can use a Reckless set with High Jump Kick can be used for even more power, but Regenerator is usually more advantageous. Force Palm is a unique option; its paralysis chance is the same as Scald's burn rate, and it can paralyze threats such as Ponyta and Murkrow.

Checks & Counters
########
Put spaces after each one of theses
**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types, most namely Spritzee, resist most of Mienfoo's common moves, (RC) and usually have the bulk to take them. They can KO Mienfoo with their STAB moves, (RC) or simply use it as setup bait.
**Poison-types**: Poison-types resist Mienfoo's STAB, and some are bulky enough to take most other hits. Foongus can constantly check Mienfoo thanks to Regenerator and it can cripple it with Stun Spore. Koffing can burn it, Grimer has Sticky Hold, and Tentacool can switch in on Drain Punch to hurt it with Liquid Ooze.
**Misdreavus**: Misdreavus can KO Mienfoo with Dazzling Gleam, burn it with Will-O-Wisp, and take its attacks relatively well, but it doesn't like Knock Off.
**Slowpoke**: Slowpoke has the bulk to take most of Mienfoo's attacks, although it won't like U-turn or Knock Off, and is KOed by the combination from the Life Orb set.
**Flame Body Users**: Flame Body users have a chance to burn Mienfoo, effectively neutering its offensive prowess and hampering its survivability. Larvesta resists its STAB and can threaten to KO with Flare Blitz. Ponyta outspeeds Mienfoo, (RC) and also threatens a KO with Flare Blitz.
**Flying-types**: Murkrow and other offensive Flying-types can take Mienfoo out with their Flying-type STAB moves, and most are faster than it. Fletchling can completely bypass it Mienfoo with Acrobatics, but it cannot KO if it still holds an item. However, most Flying-types have trouble switching in, since as a lot of them are neutral to Fighting-type moves.
**Abra**: Abra outspeeds Mienfoo and can OHKO it with Psychic, but it has trouble switching in.

Lots of unnecessary commas here, but otherwise good!

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)