Ladder Mix and Mega

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Doesn't the mix between Primal Groudon and Arceus-Steel outclass Arceus-Fire? It's D rank in Ubers and this metagame isn't exactly favourable to it
In a word, no. The main difference between Arceus-Fire and Arceus-Steel/Primal Groudon, is that Arceus-Fire has reliable recovery (unlike Primal Groudon), and unlike Arceus-Steel, it is not weak to Lucario's Close Combat, allowing it to live that and burn it back.

The ubers metagame is special in there is very few actually viable pokemon, and by few I mean in comparison to OU and whatnot. It's a pool of 30 mons that are viable, as mons like Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon centralise the metagame around them whilst Kyogre outclassing most water types and Groudon outclassing fire and ground types, special and physical alike. These mons are so good that their mere presence just makes you say "why would I ever use a mon like Charizard? It's outclassed by Primal Groudon, a mon that has zero opportunity cost.

With Reshiram and Palkia packing water/dragon/fire coverage for stabs they're both easily handled. Reshiram can't spam Dragon in fear of Xerneas and it can't spam fire in fear of letting Kyogre/Groudon switch in, giving the Primals a switch in is crucial. In Ubers Palkia's been nominated for D and Reshiram is D right now. But this is only a metagame with Groudon and Kyogre, pokemon that aren't counters per say as Draco meteor can easily 2HKO Groudon and Outrage threatening Kyogre but giving Groudon or Kyogre a switch in is still enough to knock them down to D.

But this is just Ubers, in Mix and Mega we have harder counters. We have Scizor with Blue orb, Skarmory with Blue orb, Blissey with Sablenite/Slowbronite, we have Roserade with Red orb, Azumarill with Mawilite and we still have both the Primals. You really want to use a pokemon that gives Azumarill a pokemon with 524 attack a free switch in? I'd rather not.

I had a chat with Ghoul king over pm discussing mew, how would you guys feel about banning Zap cannon/Inferno & Dynamic punch? They're only used in an uncompetitive way in conjunction with No Guard. In standard play these aren't bad as both abusers have horrendous speed and meh stats but in Mix and Mega you have 65+ boost in Special attack with a 120 electric move with a 100% chance to paralyze. You have these moves that are literally impossible to switch in bar immunity, as you're going to be burned/paralyzed/confused. Essentially, scald on steroids.

Doesn't the mix between Primal Groudon and Arceus-Steel outclass Arceus-Fire? It's D rank in Ubers and this metagame isn't exactly favourable to it

+2 252 Atk Adaptability Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 113-134 (33.8 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO Jolly Adaptability at +2

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 109-129 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 97.4% chance to 3HKO Adamant Life Orb at +2

Why would I use Excadrill with Lucarionite when I could use regular Excadrill thats far faster?
Because regular Lucario is reliant on sand to hit its insane speed tier, whereas lucarionite better lets it function on its own, as well as for more than 5 turns (8 with smooth rock), and life orb is far easier to wear down. Also, you're calcing w/ adamant life orb, and it's still weaker.

Also, about zap cannon and stuff, that might not be a bad idea. It seems like it handles the problem, and doesn't get rid of pidgeotite.

Last edited:
In a word, no. The main difference between Arceus-Fire and Arceus-Steel/Primal Groudon, is that Arceus-Fire has reliable recovery (unlike Primal Groudon), and unlike Arceus-Steel, it is not weak to Lucario's Close Combat, allowing it to live that and burn it back.
Fair enough, but you recommended B right? That's pretty high for the slight niche of handling Altarnite -Ates, Skarmory does the same thing why wouldn't I use that? Atleast then I can still use a different Ceus form. Having that one niche is C at most

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I can see banning the moves (zap cannon and dynamic punch) that are uncompetitive because they stack unfair statuses. Inferno isn't uncompetitive because its a burn, not a paralyze/confusion that puts the game in the hands of the RNG. The player can control a burned mon, which is a major difference, but being able to so efficiently make the game an RNG battle is really out of control, especially coming off of something with 100/100/100 bulk (mew).

canno

formerly The Reptile
Fair enough, but you recommended B right? That's pretty high for the slight niche of handling Altarnite -Ates, Skarmory does the same thing why wouldn't I use that? Atleast then I can still use a different Ceus form. Having that one niche is C at most
As someone who uses Skarmory as a great -ate check, Arceus-Fire has the ability to be able to check Altarianite Entei much better than Skarm can due to STAB Sacred Fire.

Speaking of -ate users, a great partner for them I have found is Pidgeotite / Lucarionite Keldeo. It's strong STABs let it bust open many -ate checks, such as Skarmory, Heatran, Arceus-Fire, Excadrill, and various other Steel- and Fire-type checks. It's also in general a very potent special attacker.

I can see banning the moves (zap cannon and dynamic punch) that are uncompetitive because they stack unfair statuses. Inferno isn't uncompetitive because its a burn, not a paralyze/confusion that puts the game in the hands of the RNG. The player can control a burned mon, which is a major difference, but being able to so efficiently make the game an RNG battle is really out of control, especially coming off of something with 100/100/100 bulk (mew).
That is a very good point, however I could see banning inferno for its ability to invalidate physical sweepers (even fire resists) just by clicking it repeatedly. Also mew doesn't get inferno.

Why would you EVER do that tho? You can randomly throw around close combat as regular Lucario too, and yeah, you'll kill some stuff, but you are WIDE open to be revenge killed.
...? So the ability to kill your check or counter "leaves you open to revenge killing"? Um, what? Who cares, if the thing that's supposed to actually stop you is dead? Worst case scenario, switch out, get an opportunity to come back in and setup on something else, sweep.

And you really can ignore altarianite Lucario, because it's just worse. It's slower, easier to wall, and is no bulkier physically, and less bulky specially. I don't see the merits of it at all, given fighting/flying' coverage is virtually unresisted, and is easily patched up by EQ / crunch.
Well, for one thing, just looking at the Viability Rankings as of this writing, there's a lot more stuff weak to Fairy and/or resistant to Flying than the other way around in the A- to S rank portion of the meta, which fits my own play experience -I've consistently had some kind of Pixilate Extreme Speed Pokémon in my team and it's consistently done work. Not so much Aerilate.

Not even getting into how many Ubers are Dragons. Meanwhile, barring Arceus, there's no Bug, Grass, or Fighting Uber (Excepting Mega Evolutions and Blaziken), and the former two types are not exactly popular for Mega Evolution -and the latter is also vulnerable to Fairy. Pinsirite Lucario's Extreme Speed is generally going to top out at "neutral", dramatically lowering its overall lethality compared to Altarianite Lucario.

Pinsirite Lucario is a lot better than Altarianite Lucario in the abstract, but I'm not so convinced this is true in practice, given the shape of the meta.

Flying and poison walls altarianite even harder, and the type combination isn't difficult to provide, though usually not preferable.
... is there even a viable example of a Poison type with Pinsirite? Crobat has some utility in the meta, but it's not exactly the most threatening thing to Lucario. I'm not seeing the relevancy of this statement.

And aerodactylite Lucario isn't fast enough to sweep in MnM, as it lacks stab Espeed to smack the fast, frail things that would beat it. And just because you can slap aerodactylite on something and break everything proves literally nothing. That was established long ago w/ lucarionite terrak (the two stones are very similar).
I'm trying to convey something about Lucario's diversity, power, and the difficulty establishing a reliable switch-in for it -which is true of pretty much everything, mind, but I'm arguing it's more true of Lucario.

And it's basically understood that you want to mega evolve many things right away so you can take the most advantage of what it has to offer. That situation assumes everything is going on lucarios favor; Lucario has already mega evolved, you caught the switch, and cobalion hasn't mega evolved yet. You did give cobalion max bulk, but that's just a drop in the bucket compared to how much Lucario has going for it, and that's not even a guaranteed ohko w/ a 120 BP super effective stab against a non mega evolved mon coming off of 140 attack. Congrats! Nothing else could ever do that! Anything can run a lure set- that applies in literally every meta.
It's ripping off almost all of the health of a 'mon that has zero recovery, that you are claiming acts as a hard stop to Lucario. Furthermore, yes, I'm assuming "everything" goes in Lucario's favor -that's the definition checks and counters operate under. Can it reliably counter Lucario in the worst case scenario? It's a counter. Does it demand minimum prerequisite conditions to have a shot at counter Lucario, and is otherwise vaporized without effort? Not a counter.

And it's not a lure set to use your standard STAB to gasp predict a switch and kill it! A lure is abnormal in its set -what, are you implying Lucario doesn't normally run Close Combat?

So Dragonite has been banned from using stones. Lucario is being suspected. People are talking about how ridiculous Zygarde is.

Are we just going to systematically move from -atespeed abuser to -atespeed abuser, nerfing them all until -atespeed is effectively banned anyway? That seems kind of inefficient.
No.

I don't think Lucario and Zygarde are the problem. The problem is Altarianite and Pinsirite. These add STAB to the Extreme Speed, which make Arcanine, Dragonite, Entei, Lucario and Zygarde very threatening. These two items should be banned, in my opinion.
Nobody's talking about Arcanine or Entei. They aren't "very threatening". They're good at what they do, but they're nowhere near broken or even centralizing.

Dragonite was suspected partially because of how threatening it was with Altarianite and, to a lesser extent, Pinsirite/Salamencite (Note that banning Altarianite and Pinsirite and unbanning Dragonite would just lead to Salamencite Dragonite being the default, and it would be rebanned inevitably), but also because it could run a huge array of Mega Stones extraordinarily competently -people weren't even looking into the crazy things it could get up to with Blue Orb, Pidgeotite, Aggronite, etc because the -atespeed stuff was by far it's biggest payoff, but honestly I'm convinced Dragonite would be broken even if -atespeed was barred from it entirely.

That leaves maybe Lucario and Zygarde, both of whom are controversial, not definitive. Zygarde also has access to an obnoxiously uncompetitive Banettite set, so it may end up barred from Mega Stones regardless just on that basis.

Lucario is the only one of these 'mons that, if it is broken, is broken primarily (Entirely?) on the basis of access to Altarianite and Pinsirite. I'm not banning those two Mega Stones on that basis.

No one knows why it is being suspected though. Basically, ghoul king thought it should be and decided to enact a suspect, which he totally can, it's his OM, but the rest of the council doesn't think it even deserves a suspect.
The rest of the council was not informed of my line of reasoning prior due to time crunch, the fact that I prioritize improving the OM over PR, and the fact that I thought it was obvious.

My interpretation is "the council is non-plussed and thus disinclined to listen by default", which if nothing else shows why I should've brought up my concerns and reasoning before launching the suspect. An error.

The thing is, Lucario isn't a problem at all, w/ any of the stones.
Stop that. You don't make definitive statements contradicting my position about something we're in the middle of arguing about that's not so definitive. That's indirect sniping bullshit.

A bigger issue in the tier is Pidgeotite imo. Giving some mons, like gengar, that 20+ speed can make them a really hard poke to check/counter. On top of that, it makes all of those moves that are inaccurate for a reason always hit. The deadliest reason, is it gives 65+ Special Attack. This boost can change a 3HKO, into a 2HKO, and a 2HKO, into an OHKO. I think this stone should at least be suspected, seeing how it makes stupid things like mew, rely on hax/probability chance with moves like Zap Cannon and Dynamic Punch.
I'm of mixed feelings about Pidgeotite at the moment. There's only a limited pool of hax abusers for it, but "a few" isn't 2-3, it's close to double digits -and that's just out of what I've looked into. Banning it, itself, seems like an overreaction, complex banning it+the hax moves is a complex ban, and banning the moves it combines well with has admittedly minor knock off effects. I'm intending to talk it over with the council, in any event.

With all this -atespeed problems, and knowing that the two potential ban worthy mons are broken because of this. I believe we should restrict the player to one -ate stone per team like I mentioned earlier. Then see how the meta develops.
An -ate clause wouldn't affect most teams. Most teams have one -atespeeder, no other -ate Mega Stone. Whatever is a problem isn't a problem due to stacking -atespeed, it's a problem by virtue of being a problem Pokémon.

viability rankings
Yay!

Imo the -ate stones that are a problem are the ones that add stab

252+ Atk Pixilate Entei Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 142-168 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO Without fairy type

252+ Atk Pixilate Entei Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 213-252 (62.4 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO With fairy type

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
No, adding the type is not the issue. We have banned one -ate user and may ban a second (Zygarde, considering none of the council is planning on voting to ban luc besides ghoul king who I have not talked to). The rest of the -ates hold the metagame together and are not even that broken in the first place.

Pixilate Lucario is not nearly as good as Pinsirite in practice Ghoul King. I speak from experience having extensively used both, and I can tell you for a fact that pinsirite is far superior. The speed tier is VERY significant, as other lucario speed tie while arcanine and zygarde outspeed you. The primary purpose of running ekiller lucario is to beat those revenge killers while sweeping the opponents team. Pixilate cannot do this. To further complicate the issue, Close Combat does not cover fairy's fire and poison resistances, where it does cover aerilate's, meaning it cannot get past entei with chip damage, something aerilate can at +2. The extra power is negligible in comparison to the substantial benefits of running pinsirite.

Inferno, while it burns things, does not put any part of things in the hand of the RNG, and as a result is about as competitive as no guard will-o-wisp. It does damage, so it's a better wisp, but the uncompetitive factor is not there.

The only stone that could be a problem itself is Altarianite. One look at the viability rankings shows very few resists to fairy, and almost all of the resists being steel-type. This basically means anything with coverage for steels and boosting is a major threat. Espeed holds the metagame together, but Altarianite Zygarde is the ONLY mon that is anywhere near broken, imo.

...? So the ability to kill your check or counter "leaves you open to revenge killing"? Um, what? Who cares, if the thing that's supposed to actually stop you is dead? Worst case scenario, switch out, get an opportunity to come back in and setup on something else, sweep.
Yeah right. Lucario usually gets one chance to set up. Maybe two or three if you're lucky. And if you aren't running Atespeed, you're checks are different, so acting as though that opens the way for a sweep is ridiculous. Ok, so now the check to a set that you aren't even running is gone. Obviously that means that there are no checks left for your actual set on the entire opposing team. Nothing that beats 110 speed and kills you, nothing that resists/is immune to what you can throw at it, nothing. Because that makes sense.

Well, for one thing, just looking at the Viability Rankings as of this writing, there's a lot more stuff weak to Fairy and/or resistant to Flying than the other way around in the A- to S rank portion of the meta, which fits my own play experience -I've consistently had some kind of Pixilate Extreme Speed Pokémon in my team and it's consistently done work. Not so much Aerilate.

Not even getting into how many Ubers are Dragons. Meanwhile, barring Arceus, there's no Bug, Grass, or Fighting Uber (Excepting Mega Evolutions and Blaziken), and the former two types are not exactly popular for Mega Evolution -and the latter is also vulnerable to Fairy. Pinsirite Lucario's Extreme Speed is generally going to top out at "neutral", dramatically lowering its overall lethality compared to Altarianite Lucario.
Fairy gets better Super Effective coverage, but flying has incredible neutral coverage, especially paired w/ fighting. You aren't going to be ripping apart teams w/ Lucario, you will be picking off weakened opponents/ stuff that is weak to Espeed or at least one of its other moves (and can't outspeed it). Neutral damage is enough for a cleaner like Luc, and you need to have the ability to hit as many types as possible so as to effectively sweep. Super effective damage isn't usually necessary late game, and it usually is more helpful to hit a wider variety of opponents neutrally than a smaller one super-effectively. This is why lopunny is so effective; its SE coverage is quite limited, but it's neutral coverage is incredible. Super effective coverage is more important for breaking up walls and stuff when you need to deal huge amounts of damage to open the way for a less powerful poke or one w/ less super effective coverage and more neutral coverage to clean up the mess.

Pinsirite Lucario is a lot better than Altarianite Lucario in the abstract, but I'm not so convinced this is true in practice, given the shape of the meta.
See above. Also, it's mostly ineffective against stall, as it lacks the necessary power to break it and, though people say it destroys offense, it struggles against offense because it has difficulty setting up. It is most effective late-game against balance builds, and, to a lesser extent, offensive ones.
... is there even a viable example of a Poison type with Pinsirite? Crobat has some utility in the meta, but it's not exactly the most threatening thing to Lucario. I'm not seeing the relevancy of this statement.
õ.O

...A minimum of 130% w/ 0 Atk investment is not very threatening???

Any primary poison type that is already even almost viable works. Pinsirite means that they are very much available, and poison, while trash offensively has very good utility, so it's checks aren't just super niche things that have no other purpose. Also lati@sites. Js. Poison/flying is great defensively, especially as few pokes carry psychic coverage, especially if it's not stab.

I'm trying to convey something about Lucario's diversity, power, and the difficulty establishing a reliable switch-in for it -which is true of pretty much everything, mind, but I'm arguing it's more true of Lucario.
It's not diverse tho. It is slow enough that it basically has to run Espeed, while being too frail to run any sort of bulky set effectively. And it isn't powerful, actually. 110 is pretty weak. That calc doesn't even demonstrate how powerful it is. If anything, it shows how weak it is.
It's ripping off almost all of the health of a 'mon that has zero recovery, that you are claiming acts as a hard stop to Lucario. Furthermore, yes, I'm assuming "everything" goes in Lucario's favor -that's the definition checks and counters operate under. Can it reliably counter Lucario in the worst case scenario? It's a counter. Does it demand minimum prerequisite conditions to have a shot at counter Lucario, and is otherwise vaporized without effort? Not a counter.
No, that would be a counter. I said check. Checks don't even need to necessarily be capable of switching in on ANY of its moves. Even beating it 1v1 can count as a check. And that's not even what this is. Cobalion is usually safe to switch in, as people don't want to let their main wincon get crippled so easily, especially if they mispredict.

And it's not a lure set to use your standard STAB to gasp predict a switch and kill it! A lure is abnormal in its set -what, are you implying Lucario doesn't normally run Close Combat?
Let's not get snarky. I'm not exempt from that, and I have been very much so in the past, but that doesn't mean it's ok.

Anyways, I'm not referring to the move. I'm fairly certain you understand that. It's the stone that's a lure- that kind of difference in damage output completely changes things, as far as cobalion is concerned. And even using it is really bad, as it means that, yes, you might nab a surprise kill, but after that it loses lucarios usual effectiveness in the late game as you're giving up the only thing that makes it so good. This would be an example of a bad lure were it submitted to a good lures thread, as all it does is straight up downgrades your Lucario, turning it into an inferior cobalion.

Lucario is the only one of these 'mons that, if it is broken, is broken primarily (Entirely?) on the basis of access to Altarianite and Pinsirite. I'm not banning those two Mega Stones on that basis.
Hasn't your entire argument been based around the concept that lucario is unpredictable, whereas zygarde isn't? I'm thoroughly confused by this.

The rest of the council was not informed of my line of reasoning prior due to time crunch, the fact that I prioritize improving the OM over PR, and the fact that I thought it was obvious.

My interpretation is "the council is non-plussed and thus disinclined to listen by default", which if nothing else shows why I should've brought up my concerns and reasoning before launching the suspect. An error.
It's not honestly a big deal, to me at least. I'll admit I was slightly annoyed, but that's not why I said it. I said that in response to a question that, by its wording, implied that it was understood that it was just broken. I was explaining that this is not the case. I disagree, not because the means by which the suspect came about irritate me, but because I do not feel it even deserves a suspect.

Stop that. You don't make definitive statements contradicting my position about something we're in the middle of arguing about that's not so definitive. That's indirect sniping bullshit.
I wasn't intending to indirectly comment on anything. I was just saying my opinion- I shouldn't have to write an essay on why that is when I've talked about it extensively. You're suggesting that I was, in essence, subtweeting (funny comparison, since I don't even have a Twitter) which was not the case. I can understand why my comment about the council being not being included in any discussion concerning Luc could be taken that way, but not that comment.

I think that's all for now. I was going to post something about pidgeotite, however I have kinda lost the motivation to do so.

I don't get why people are stating that pixie Lucario is better than pinsirite lucario, actually it's totally the opposite. First pixie lucario is checked by any other ate-speed, making setting up quite worthless. also entei/zygarde are much better users of pixie-speed. Also, i don't know if i like ate-speed that much, but I’m sure that diancite and weavile spam are much more annoying and boring metagame to play. So if you guys actually ban lucario it would be nice to keep an eye on weavile, cause it will be everywhere. Also I can't find a good check to absolite manaphy outside of ate-speed, if someone has an effective check that doesn't need to be already mega'ed I would be glad.

Btw I present my team (which is 1# and 2# on the ladder right now):
<- i love this sprite lol
Mew @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Zap Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard
- Hypnosis
Mew > gengar cause zap cannon is to goddam awesome. also it's not ohked by aerilate speed like gengar. zap/blizzard is quite good with soo many things flying on the meta.

Lucario @ Pinsirite
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Return
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Skarmory @ Blue Orb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Diancite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Surf
Almost everything is quite common but latios is a good underrated threat... it has a good initial speed and good initial bulk, so it can set up many things like heatran. also after mega it acts as a powerful scarfer and is capable of outspeeding bulky p-don at 2+ and OHKO with draco after rocks. it's really strong overall and open holes for the ate-speeders to win the match. it could be used absolite instead but I like the higher damage output.

Entei @ Altarianite
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Return
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sacred Fire

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Finally I would like to see if someone has already used pinsirite ou glalitite raikou with expeed effectively

I don't get why people are stating that pixie Lucario is better than pinsirite lucario, actually it's totally the opposite. First pixie lucario is checked by any other ate-speed, making setting up quite worthless. also entei/zygarde are much better users of pixie-speed. Also, i don't know if i like ate-speed that much, but I’m sure that diancite and weavile spam are much more annoying and boring metagame to play. So if you guys actually ban lucario it would be nice to keep an eye on weavile, cause it will be everywhere. Also I can't find a good check to absolite manaphy outside of ate-speed, if someone has an effective check that doesn't need to be already mega'ed I would be glad.

Btw I present my team (which is 1# and 2# on the ladder right now):
<- i love this sprite lol
Mew @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Zap Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard
- Hypnosis
Mew > gengar cause zap cannon is to goddam awesome. also it's not ohked by aerilate speed like gengar. zap/blizzard is quite good with soo many things flying on the meta.

Lucario @ Pinsirite
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Return
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Skarmory @ Blue Orb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Diancite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Surf
Almost everything is quite common but latios is a good underrated threat... it has a good initial speed and good initial bulk, so it can set up many things like heatran. also after mega it acts as a powerful scarfer and is capable of outspeeding bulky p-don at 2+ and OHKO with draco after rocks. it's really strong overall and open holes for the ate-speeders to win the match. it could be used absolite instead but I like the higher damage output.

Entei @ Altarianite
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Return
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sacred Fire

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Finally I would like to see if someone has already used pinsirite ou glalitite raikou with expeed effectively
You piece of trash pidgeotite-mew-user. Lol. Anyways, I have never fought a successful glalitite raikou; they've all basically been trash. Raikou is really fast, but when you're forced to run a rash nature, it's not nearly as good, as 135 isn't all that fast here (weird thought), ar least w/ a neutral nature it's not. I totally agree w/ Latinos btw, however, I've found it is far more effective w/ soul dew. It has greater power and really good special bulk. However, beating +2 pdon is really good. It's kinda too much for me though, but it sounds like a terror to face w/o prio.

I agree Dr. Phd. BJ, however, to be fair, he hadn't said anything in a while.

I know soul dew latis are that strong (and bulkier), but diancite doesn't lose much power compared to it and has a much higher base speed. I still think diancite is better as a good revenge killer for manaphy and magic bounce can get some good mind games against bulky stuff that try to win by toxicing it.
252 SpA diancite Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 283-334 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 318-375 (78.7 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
soul dew is ~10% stronger which is pretty much the difference between modest and timid, which is not that much.

Good call, I will add it at the next update. I'm thinking B+ though, because while its good, it lacks the speed and bulk at times. it wants to check pixilate/aerilate but it can't. It's a good wallbreaker and decent spinner, but I don't see it on par with an A rank. Any thoughts?
B+ sounds fairly reasonable. It may have the prior speed it needs to be able to pick off anything that's weakened while in its prior state a la Sand Rush, but afterwards, unless you're running Metagrossite, you're still pretty much outsped by everything else. That, and it lacks priority in all forms, has subpar defenses which are barely patched by the stones' boosts (gonna reference my old set here and say that it barely survives Jolly Glalitite Weavile's Return off of a +20 boost before OHKOing back with Iron Head, and this is presuming it hasn't come in on anything beforehand), and has decent raw power to work off of, but performs better after a boost - something that is difficult to do when everything else is faster than you (unless you're wrapped in a warm blanket of sand and have not Mega Evolved yet). As far as its usability against -atespeeders is concerned... maybe it's just me being timid about it, but I personally wouldn't bring it in on an -atespeed just because of its poor pre-Mega bulk, and... granted it is kinda creative to be using Mega Stones that counter said -atespeeders, that just makes me wonder if it's another situation in which you need to /actually/ be prepared for certain -atespeeders by equipping your teammates with the tools they wouldn't normally use outside of checking these things (such as my Aggronite Landorus-Therian).

... Being a Sandstorm user, I can say that Excadrill performs at its best when Sandstorm is up. Let's just be real. Granted Mold Breaker is hella good in /some/ cases (*stares at LeviTran and Gengar hoping Focus Blast misses before it Mega Evolves*), Sand Rush makes it a very potent pre-Mega sweeper for cases like Pidgeotite Keldeo... essentially fast things in that regard that are either frail enough, weakened prior, or weak to its STAB attacks.

EDIT: It also has a /glaringly obvious/ case of four-moveslot syndrome; it wants to run Rock Slide, Rapid Spin, Earthquake, Iron Head, Swords Dance, Stealth Rock, and... probably Shadow Claw or Brick Break.
You piece of trash pidgeotite-mew-user. Lol.
I cry every time... at the sight of these damn beasts. (Not saying they're completely broken; I'd slap a pre-Mega Unaware Clef against it and set up on it while it carelessly sets up Nasty Plots thinking I'm finished.)

... NO ONE SAW MY SECRET! NO ONE! (I jest. lmao)

EDIT: Slayer95 - I had a thought: I've kept forgetting to bring this up earlier, but is there any way to allow those with a Mega form sprite to retain that form when they've Mega Evolved? (i.e. Venusaur has a Mega sprite, which shows when it's tied with the Venusaurite; it can retain that form with other stones aswell, if possible.)

Last edited:
Before I join the disprove Masterodeswags bandwagon, here's a replay of Mew breaking my opponents team. Anything that wasn't 2HKOd is put to sleep and nothing switches in, lovely.
First of all, it's not a bandwagon, scrub. Most people agree with me. At least in the council. Don't be a prick before you can even try to prove anything.

Before I disprove your condescending rhetoric, go back and read the specifics of both my post and the post I quoted. Much of what you say actually agrees w/ me. And I actually backed you up in my last post. Don't be a douche.

It gets one chance to set up? Why would you send Lucario in without A. If you set up an SD, you win B. All of your opponents checks are weakened, and if they're not why would you set up? Just Close combat. If you're a good player you wait until his checks are weakened before you sweep with Lucario, and Lucario easily gets up SDs if you're not stupid.
again, read the post I was answering. You are basically completely agreeing w/ me, however you are so quick to assume that you're going to disagree that you jump at the first opportunity to argue, and you make it this douchey, backhanded public post that kinda pisses me off. All you want to do is attempt to discredit me, because you have held opposing opinions from me.

What ghoul king was suggesting is that lucario could easily just come back in and set up later, but this isn't the case. It struggles to do so, especially once it's mega evolved, as fighting/flying, while great offensively, is rather sub-par defensively. This was the point I was making. You basically have to wait until later in the game to send Luc in at all, and if it's sent in earlier you risk losing your chance to sweep.

They're both good, I prefer Glalie on my team as Pinsirite gives it an unfavourable typing in regards of my team. I see so many just... bad arguments from you. I mean, have you even used Lucario? It easily sweeps team, it easily picks aparts core, stall, offence and balance alike. What handles this thing at +2 if you don't know what stone it is? With rocks up very little stands against Lucario, and both Pixilate and Aerialte is good.
I have run lucario extensively, and despite being pressed for time in general, made it to #18 on the ladder, you condescending piece of trash. It doesn't sweep teams on its own, as it has (as has been discussed) limited SE coverage and rather unimpressive power and speed. 110 is so easy to check, it's hilarious. It tears apart weakened teams, as its neutral coverage is very good, but it's not strong enough to do so alone. It's wallbreaking power is very subpar. Glalitite has a unique niche of keeping your prior typing and gives you better SE coverage, but I'd say it's probably your last choice, for the most part. However, it is interesting, and I'm sure it is good for your team, but altarianite just isn't as good for lucario, and glalitite lacks even more power than the others (since Espeed doesn't get stab).
"Has to run Espeed" You make that sound like it's a curse, Extreme speed is the reason Lucario isn't like... RU. Without it it's just a slow, easily revenge killed pokemon. You're basically only going to be running Pinsirite/Altarnite/Glalie which means your lowest attaking stat is 140, with incredible powerful stabs. Lucario isn't weak, it's powerful but you'd know that if you'd use it a bit.
Lol. There you go again. People like you are the reasons most of smogon doesn't take OMs seriously. Anyways, it is a curse, in a way. It is a blessing that it gets it, but, one, it would be trash w/o it, and two, it makes it far more predictable. Ghoul King has suggested that Ekiller sets are not all that it does effectively- that it's stats are good enough to run any number of other sets just as well. This isn't the case. I wish you would actually read the quoted post before you reply.

You're actually using prediction in your argument. Enough said
No, i said that it is not a move that most want to make, for fear of mispredicting and losing the match in one poorly played move. Actually, ghoul King was using prediction, and I was calling him on it.

He's getting snarky because you're using pretty poor arguments against banning anything. Cobalion should not be used to check Lucario, that's ridiculous. What can Cobalion do against Pinsirite Lucario? It also lacks recovery, smh
Pinsirite cobalion can ohko lucario. That's what it can do. You are so quick to assume you get everything that's going on, with out even clarifying it all. Stop. Next time, before you act like you have something to teach me, why don't you pay attention to what's actually going on. He's being snarky not because my arguments are so bad, but because, and I mean no disrespect by this, but he's getting defensive and it's a natural response. He thought I was making backhanded, snyde comments about him, however I wasn't, and I believe that's cleared up now, thank you very much. Don't be such a raging dick head every time you post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent council you have there Ghoul King. Do you guys not know what happens to threads that deteriorate like this? They get locked. It's one thing if it's users in general, but if the council itself contains horrible users such as yourself xJownage and MaestroDeSWAG then you can't expect me to not lock this thread.

I was going to give you one more chance but looking at the post again, this is just ridiculous. I'm locking this thread until Ghoul King actually has respectable members on his council instead of you people.

I have dissolved the existing council.
I'll stick to my word and unlock this, but know that if you break the rules then you will be infracted. Insulting or being disrespectful to other users is against Smogon rules.

And if this thread does not improve then it will be locked once again.

Smeargle is now banned from Mega Stones. (This includes that it may not Mega Evolve via Dragon Ascent, and yes it includes Orbs) Tagging The Immortal. (Even though it's probably redundant)

(This was the last decision made prior to council dissolution, though honestly it was 99% me)

I'll be forming a new council soon, with different members. I'm hoping InfernapeTropius11 will be up for it -he's been a consistent good participator in the meta since before it became OMotM. Otherwise, I'm open to possibilities.

Please note: the following post was 99% written before The Immortal locked the thread. I considered deleting it entirely, as I have dissolved the existing council and don't want the bad behavior to continue, but I'd rather continue the discussion, even if no longer as "council members talking in-thread".

Pixilate Lucario is not nearly as good as Pinsirite in practice Ghoul King. I speak from experience having extensively used both, and I can tell you for a fact that pinsirite is far superior. The speed tier is VERY significant, as other lucario speed tie while arcanine and zygarde outspeed you. The primary purpose of running ekiller lucario is to beat those revenge killers while sweeping the opponents team. Pixilate cannot do this. To further complicate the issue, Close Combat does not cover fairy's fire and poison resistances, where it does cover aerilate's, meaning it cannot get past entei with chip damage, something aerilate can at +2. The extra power is negligible in comparison to the substantial benefits of running pinsirite.

The only stone that could be a problem itself is Altarianite. One look at the viability rankings shows very few resists to fairy, and almost all of the resists being steel-type. This basically means anything with coverage for steels and boosting is a major threat. Espeed holds the metagame together, but Altarianite Zygarde is the ONLY mon that is anywhere near broken, imo.
I'm trying to see the logical intersection of these two paragraphs. Altarianite might be broken, but Altarianite Lucario is worthless? There's few Fairy resists in the meta, but the Fairy resists hurt Altarianite Lucario's viability badly?

And I'm not talking about Altarianite's extra 10 Attack, because yeah, that's pretty irrelevant. I'm talking about the utility of the Fairy type itself -few things resist it while being viable, and often adding a Fairy resist to a team creates compromises in the team design: Poison types are low viability in general, while Fire types are generally agonized by Red and/or Blue Orb, which makes it pretty trivial to have a safe switchin if Lucario can't deal with them on its own, and their vulnerability to Stealth Rock means they will lose if Lucario and they end up repeatedly switching. The Fairy typing itself prevents the myriad bulky Dragons from tanking an Extreme Speed and finishing off Lucario's frail self, and unlike Pinsirite you aren't resisted by the multiple excellent Electric types like Zapdos, improving your ability to finish them off. There's also viable Rock types, like Archeops, that can potentially tank an Aerilated Extreme Speed and kill you but not a Pixilated one.

Yeah right. Lucario usually gets one chance to set up. Maybe two or three if you're lucky. And if you aren't running Atespeed, you're checks are different, so acting as though that opens the way for a sweep is ridiculous. Ok, so now the check to a set that you aren't even running is gone. Obviously that means that there are no checks left for your actual set on the entire opposing team. Nothing that beats 110 speed and kills you, nothing that resists/is immune to what you can throw at it, nothing. Because that makes sense.
I'm talking about killing something like Cobalion with a standard Ekiller set by predicting the switch and using Close Combat. The lure set idea was secondary to the point.

Lucario can get in multiple switchins on passive 'mons just fine. Against hyper offense? Yeah, it's probably not getting multiple chances. Honestly? Against hyper offense it's probably not getting one chance to setup. So I don't really see your point.

Fairy gets better Super Effective coverage, but flying has incredible neutral coverage, especially paired w/ fighting. You aren't going to be ripping apart teams w/ Lucario, you will be picking off weakened opponents/ stuff that is weak to Espeed or at least one of its other moves (and can't outspeed it). Neutral damage is enough for a cleaner like Luc, and you need to have the ability to hit as many types as possible so as to effectively sweep. Super effective damage isn't usually necessary late game, and it usually is more helpful to hit a wider variety of opponents neutrally than a smaller one super-effectively. This is why lopunny is so effective; its SE coverage is quite limited, but it's neutral coverage is incredible. Super effective coverage is more important for breaking up walls and stuff when you need to deal huge amounts of damage to open the way for a less powerful poke or one w/ less super effective coverage and more neutral coverage to clean up the mess.
Exactly what viable Pokémon resist Fairy but not Flying? And can switch in on Lucario reliably? And are bulky and/or recovery-capable enough to do this repeatedly? (Keep in mind that hazards hurt most Pokémon more than they hurt Lucario, and Fire types in particular suffer enormously at the hands of Stealth Rock) I didn't even bother to specify that Fairy has excellent neutral coverage because even the people arguing with me on this topic like to keep asserting that little resists Fairy in the meta. I took it as a given this was recognized. Yes, Aerilate has excellent neutral coverage. So does Pixilate. And then Pixilate has better super effective coverage. That's my point.

See above. Also, it's mostly ineffective against stall, as it lacks the necessary power to break it and, though people say it destroys offense, it struggles against offense because it has difficulty setting up. It is most effective late-game against balance builds, and, to a lesser extent, offensive ones.
I can't imagine a point to this comment re: Altarianite Lucario vs Pinsirite Lucario.

õ.O

...A minimum of 130% w/ 0 Atk investment is not very threatening???

Any primary poison type that is already even almost viable works. Pinsirite means that they are very much available, and poison, while trash offensively has very good utility, so it's checks aren't just super niche things that have no other purpose. Also lati@sites. Js. Poison/flying is great defensively, especially as few pokes carry psychic coverage, especially if it's not stab.
re: Crobat: not remotely safe for it to switch in on Lucario, easily walled by other things, making it incredibly easy to just switch out Lucario and try again later, assuming Crobat didn't get hit with SE coverage on the way in, didn't lose health to Stealth Rock, and therefore isn't going to be finished off by even an ineffective Extreme Speed before it moves.

... and there's no Poison types in the Viability Rankings and I personally have never seen a primary Poison type other than Crobat, let alone a Pinsirite Poison type. I'm having difficulty even reaching for something that might make sense and give Lucario a hard time. Vague statements about "there's totally probably a Poison type out there that can wall Alterianite Lucario via Pinsirite, I assume" seems a bizarre route to go when the meta has been active on main for half a month and done absolutely nothing to corroborate this possibility.

It's not diverse tho. It is slow enough that it basically has to run Espeed, while being too frail to run any sort of bulky set effectively. And it isn't powerful, actually. 110 is pretty weak. That calc doesn't even demonstrate how powerful it is. If anything, it shows how weak it is.
You are implicitly ignoring its potential for a Special set. Pidgeotite -or Blastoisinite for slightly worse STAB but superior coverage- Lucario is the single best Special Fighting attacker in the game, able to punch holes in even Sablenite Blissey, and being an anti-meta screw-you to Skarmory in the process. No, it's not horribly threatening to offense (ie it's not in direct competition with -atespeed Lucario, other than, you know, Species Clause), but I'm getting annoyed at this baseless insistence that Lucario is literally one-dimensional. I'm pretty sure it can run other Physical sets too -if nothing else Banettite could be used for a gimmicky Prankster Copycat abuse- albeit I haven't theorymonned the topic extensively and nobody on the ladder has bothered with anything but -atespeed.

No, that would be a counter. I said check. Checks don't even need to necessarily be capable of switching in on ANY of its moves. Even beating it 1v1 can count as a check. And that's not even what this is. Cobalion is usually safe to switch in, as people don't want to let their main wincon get crippled so easily, especially if they mispredict.
I disagree with what you're saying here, but I'm having trouble mustering the enthusiasm to work through the whole of why. I'll give you that, if you meant check, you're basically OK on this point.

Anyways, I'm not referring to the move. I'm fairly certain you understand that.
Does that matter? -atespeed Lucario can still slam a switchin with a Close Combat. That's still not a lure. Addressing the lure set does nothing to change the core point that -atespeed Lucario can effortlessly destroy this check with some prediction on the switch.

Hasn't your entire argument been based around the concept that lucario is unpredictable, whereas zygarde isn't? I'm thoroughly confused by this.
Having a powerful, threatening set that can sweep unprepared teams, and then being able to run other sets, opens the way to lure sets, sets that are completely viable and double as lure sets, etc. The opponent basically has to assume the worst case scenario and react to that, and yet risk being punished for doing so by a different, also viable set.

In other words, if Lucario lacked access to -atespeed, it would just be a diverse Pokémon that demands scouting. I would even agree that it's not got a lot of firepower backing it, not compared to silliness like Mewtonite X Landorus-Therian. But because it has access to a set that places enormous pressure on the enemy by virtue of the probability of being the used set, and then other viable sets, I think it's broken. This was also a factor in initiating the Dragonite suspect: the -atespeed sets were its most popular sets, and then its other viable sets that nobody had even gotten around to would've allowed it to get "free" kills through alternative viable sets even if checks or counters had been discovered for reasonably reliably hard-stopping the -atespeed sets.

re: Zygarde

Part of why I'm not taking this very seriously is nobody's really described anything concrete and specific Zygarde does, beyond being able to viably run either of Dragon Dance and Coil (Which is relevant), and my own play experience has been that Zygarde is predictable and reliably stoppable. The Dragon typing is usually more hindrance than help, in my experience, and it just has no answers to things like literally any Skarmory. It can't run coverage or Taunt or whatever and break right through counters or checks like Dragonite can, it can't run a completely different viable set like Lucario and Dragonite can (eg it's locked into Physical, in practice), all it really has going for it is being an -atespeeder that, due to Dragon Dance, cannot necessarily be reliably checked or countered by faster -atespeeders. Does that make it broken? Honestly? I don't see how it would.

Geez, now that i wanted to try belly drum lopunnite Smeargle with memento support. What was the reasoning behind the Smeargle ban?

Geez, now that i wanted to try belly drum lopunnite Smeargle with memento support. What was the reasoning behind the Smeargle ban?
Banettetite if I were to bet. I'm not much of an actual battler but I love looking at replays. Every Smeargle I've seen uses Banettetite for Prankster. And you know how Smeargle's entire moveset is status moves.

Basically I think that any Mega Stone you put on it is going to be either uncompetitive or unviable, and saw no point in complex banning just Banettite Smeargle in specific. Simpler to just bar it from Mega Stones, given the ones that aren't dumb balance-wise are going to be effectively unusable anyway.

Ghoul King, I spoke to The Immortal, and if it's ok by you I'd like to retain my spot. He approved of this, in part I believe because I have sought to show good behavior in the past, however, if don't choose to let me retain it, I understand. I know this means absolutely nothing, however, I can asure you that it won't happen again. Lol, I've already been infracted- I can't even do it again if I wanted to. Also, xJownage doesn't deserve to have his spot revoked, as nothing in his conduct recently deserves it. His past behavior is not him now, and if anything I should be punished, not him.

AllJokesAside, I'm sorry for the way I lashed out. I am not going to condone your repeated flaming towards me, but I did respond in a manner that was out of hand, and especially for a council member. Please forgive me. I would also like to ask that you don't continue to do so in the future. I can't say that I am always right and you're always wrong, and both of us can agree to disagree and not continue this in the future.

Also, Ghoul King, I'll respond to your post on lucario later, but I have work right now, so I can't just yet.

TI edit: Actually I said if he earned it back by contributing and showing good behavior then I wouldn't stop Ghoul King. Also, THIS THREAD ISN'T FOR THESE POSTS. DO IT ON HIS WALL OR IN PM. I'M DELETING EVERY OFF TOPIC POST STARTING NOW.

(Maestro edit): sorry, I didn't mean he supported it. I meant that he wouldn't stop it. I won't post any more on this, I just wanted to clarify what I said to everyone who saw it.

Last edited:
Ah, I'll budge. I tried to find a good bulky set-up sweeper.

Milotic @ Aggronite
Ability: Competitive
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Recover
- Toxic
- Aqua Tail

Milotic has access to coil, recovery and great stats. Milotic gains steel/water type, an excellent defensive typing especially for handling ates, not that they do a lot either way, Altarianite Zygarde did roughly 40 percent which is amazing. Toxic is for the ever present Red orb users like hippowdown, who also can't break it after a coil. All in all a very underrated threat

252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Filter Milotic: 158-187 (40.2 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. +2 248 HP / 28 Def Filter Milotic: 163-193 (41.4 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Zygarde Earthquake vs. +1 248 HP / 28 Def Filter Milotic: 136-162 (34.6 - 41.2%) -- 60.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)