ORAS PU Monkey Offense

Hello people of Smogon! I'm back once again for another PU RMT. Without any further ado, let's get right into it!

Monkey Offense

I began with the core of Vibrava+Articuno. Its a nice balance core that I've been wanting to try for a while. You can see more details in this post by -Grim.

I next added the based lord of PU, Monferno. I wanted a fighting-type to hit the steel-types that wall Articuno and don't care about Vibrava. I selected Monferno as it is the only viable mon in PU that has Mach Punch.

I added Stunfisk as the setter of Stealth Rocks. I needed a defensive rock setter and I also kind of wanted an electric-type. I gave it Toxic since some fatmons can be annoying against the team so far.

I added Leafeon as a quasi-water check. It was Swords Dance 3 attacks w/ Yache Berry since I had nothing so far for Rotom-F besides Monferno.

Finally, I added Simipour as my Scarfmon. I chose Simipour over Floatzel because it has great special and physical coverage with Hydro Pump, Knock Off, Superpower, and Ice Beam, and I didn't really want a fully special set.

Stunfisk was changed to Golem after I realized Stunfisk was too passive for the team and the electric-type coverage wasn't really helping. I decided on Golem since it has very nice EdgeQuake coverage.

I changed Leafeon to Gourgeist after I ran into a Machoke and realized I had no fighting-type+Knock Off switch-ins. Colbur Gourgeist, in my opinion, is the only reason PU doesn't go insane and ban Dynamic Punch or Machoke.

Vibrava @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Standard SpDef Vibrava set. I'm running 30 speed IVs in order to outslow opposing Vibravas with U-Turn. (I would recommend doing this with a lot of defensive Volt Switch/U-Turn mons unless they need to outspeed certain other mons.) Defog removes hazards, Roost keeps you alive longer, Earthquake hits frail mons that are weak to hit hard, and U-Turn nabs momentum.

Articuno @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Substitute
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane​

The other half of the core. SubRoost Articuno is just so good on its own, the only thing stopping it it the unfortunate x4 weakness to Stealth Rock. Substitute blocks status and also can survive weak hits from mons due to Articuno's great natural bulk. Roost, as stated earlier, keeps you alive. Freeze-Dry is a great offensive move, turning water-types from a shaky counter to a never-switch-in. Hurricane is a broken move that should be banned with Drizzle great move with high power, lots of PP, and a good typing.

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat​

The first monkey of the team, Monferno is the standard Swords Dance set. Swords Dance lets you punch holes in unprepared teams and can give you opportunities to sweep. Mach Punch is strong priority (boosted with Iron Fist) and is a great move overall. Flare Blitz is the Fire STAB that is so wanted in PU. (Note: Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, use Fire Punch. Fire Punch being boosted to 90 base power with Iron Fist is not a good reason, the damage drop is very noticeable.) Finally, Close Combat is the nuclear option Fighting STAB.

Golem @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Endure​

Custap Golem is the Stealth Rock setter. Stealth Rocks are too good not to have in this tier. Earthquake is powerful, and with Golem's high base attack and STAB it'll do a number to a good deal of mons in the tier. Stone Edge hits a good amount of the mons EQ doesn't hit. Finally, Endure may look a little weird, but it's to guarantee the Custap Berry to go off. It's mainly for when you need to switch Golem in but you hate breaking Sturdy like me. Idea shamelessly stolen from cryalot.

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Foul Play
- Seed Bomb​

Standard Gourgeist-Super. Will-O-Wisp is a great move when it lands, Synthesis is good for the same reason as Roost in the above sets, Foul Play hits physical attackers hard, and Seed Bomb hits Grass-weak mons decently hard. Colbur berry was chosen over Leftovers since the Knock Off spam in the tier is real, and you never know when random Dark-type moves will come your way.

Simipour @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam​

Finally, the elephant other monkey in the room. All of the Simis in the tier have access to Knock Off and Superpower as well as other coverage, making them all good mixed Scarfmons. Additionally, Simipour is not as common as Floatzel, and most people don't expect it to be Scarfed. Hitting Hydro Pumps can be nerve-wracking at times, but it has been a pretty consistent mon so far. I have no idea if the EV spread I currently have can be better.

And that's the team! Let me know if you have any nickname suggestions, I came up with this team pretty recently and haven't really thought about it. Before that, though, please leave a rate and let me know how I can improve. EnemyJurist out.

http://pastebin.com/V15gpCK2

Vibrava @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Articuno @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Substitute
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

Golem @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Endure

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Foul Play
- Seed Bomb

Simipour @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam

cryalot cause cryalot is as cryalot does (hey bro)
Dundies the main man
Sir Kay the only mod i remember from when i first got onto showdown (in the nu room)
Megazard the one who guards the ladder (idk what tf im talking about)
Akir for being one of the cool mods in the PU room and having helped me several times
ShuckleDeath because never forget agility chatot
MaroGod for being cool
the pu room on showdown (bless the cancerous sets brought up every day)

REPLAYS (will add more as time goes on)
Finals of a tour game vs. Yell0w Yoshi

Last edited:
Hi EnemyJurist, cool team you've got here (despite the fact that the only replay is vs a furret).

One major weakness I notice about this team is one to Rotom-F, which can come in on a few Pokemon on your team, namely Articuno and Vibrava, and wreck havoc. An easy fix to this is to change Monferno --> RestTalk Machoke, specifically with a spread of 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 SpD and an Impish nature, which assures you beat Rotom-F as well as Pokemon such as Regice and Golem.

You're also very weak to Psychic-types at this point, specifically Mr. Mime, as Specs variants can tear through your team with Stealth Rock up. To help you with this issue, I suggest you change Gourgeist-XL --> SubCM Grumpig, which not only gives you a switchin to Psychics, but also a win condition that you lost when you changed Monferno to Machoke.

Now this last suggestion is more optional and a personal preference, but I'm going to suggest you change Vibrava --> Vullaby, because honestly Vibrava just sucks. It can't even check Electrics, it's a worse pivot than Vullaby, its super passive, and its bulk is nothing compared to Vullaby. Vullaby also gives you that sort of sponge vs physical attackers that you'll now be missing without Gourgeist-XL, as well as a better check to opposing Grumpig.

This is another optional and personal preference sort of nitpick again, but I would also change your Articuno from Life Orb --> Leftovers and Substitute --> HP Fighting, which gives you more survivability and allows you to switch into a lot more threats more reliably, while also preventing you from being setup fodder for Pawniard, which can be very annoying if Machoke is weakened.

tl;dr

Machoke @ Eviolite | No Guard
248 HP / 140 Def / 120 SpD | Impish
Dynamic Punch / Knock Off / Rest / Sleep Talk

Grumpig @ Leftovers | Thick Fat
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Modest
Substitute / Calm Mind / Psychic / Focus Blast

Vullaby @ Eviolite | Overcoat
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD | Impish
U-turn / Foul Play / Roost / Defog

Life Orb --> Leftovers
Substitute --> Hidden Power [Fighting]

Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)