Mono Player of the Week #2: ArkenCiel

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
approved by scpinion
based off of other potws

Hello everyone and welcome to the second installment of Monotype's Player of the Week!

(credits to Acast for banner (:)
This week, I have a very well known player by the name of ArkenCiel! He is an amazing player and is also a moderator in the Monotype Room! Like every other forum that does this, this'll be a weekly thing where I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to shoot me a PM. Anyways, lets get to it!

To start things off, what is your favorite Pokemon?
Currently - I would have to say Mawile. I used to just think the Mawile was a cute because of how well it used its assets to deceive others. After XY came out, it immediately became my favorite. It went from NU to Ubers, from a liability to breaking the metagame. That alone is plenty admirable, but it's also got a kick-ass design. Powerful, threatening, and dangerous while maintaining a dainty appearance.

How did you come up with your PS! username?
I've been going by this name in communities I hung around in before I got into PS. Before that? My teacher said something cool one day and I asked her to repeat herself, "L'arc-en-ciel," she said. Literally means "arc on the sky", a rainbow. I changed the spelling up a bit to make it look more like a name and it's stuck around me for 6-7 years now.

How did you first get into Monotype?

I was playing OU on the Pre-Elo ladder, I was hovering around 2000 where every player I could match against was competent. Found a guy with a Fire Monotype, and I was surprised to see him there. Asked myself how in the world this guy got up here around the 2000s before I took it upon myself to end his luck. I lost. He got me really good. I was inspired. Made my own Fire Monotype and checked out the Monotype ladder for a bit, hitting top teens on the leaderboard. I only really got into Monotype when I got into leagues about half a year after that though.
What Pokemon do you use the most?
It's not out of favoritism or anything, but Azumarill and Skarmory. I use a lot of different types and both these Pokemon are in types that I use a lot. Now that I look at it, they both run different sets in the types I use them in.

What are you most known for?
Most known for? I don't really know how most people see me and what they know about me. I've had my fair share of fame in the ladder, leagues, events, and discussions. I recently got mod in Monotype, and I do some work in a different server. Can't really pinpoint one particular field, but that might be what they know me for - being involved a lot of places.

Favorite Type?
Still Fairy. Not the type I play most, I actually don't even know how to answer which type I play most, but I just enjoy what the type represents. It was added to balance the game, to tip the scales and change the direction of the meta. It put an abrupt stop to Dragons, a very dominant type, and quickly created a place for itself within the game.

Favorite Playstyle?
Offense. It can be hyper offense, but at the most base level, I just mean any play style where I'm not constantly switching between walls. It's definitely the most fun for me to use. While I can enjoy games like chess, requiring careful consideration before making a move, I like thinking with my feet just as much if not more. Making snap decisions, and often acting on instinct alone to quickly retaliate and get the upper hand gets me going real good.

What players do you look up to or are really good friends with?
One player that stands out above everyone else is SaNeski. I don't think the majority know about her within the Monotype community, but she has the tendency to run unorthodox sets, unorthodox enough for people to respond to her with sheer frustration (just before they lose to her). She makes it work well with her keen battling sense. She understands the game, can clearly see what she needs to do in order to win, and will choose the optimal route to get there. All that said, I respect her for that. On top of it, she's a good sport, reliable, has a good head on her shoulders, is someone I can get along with really well, and am very glad to have met them on Showdown. (interviewer note: s/o SaNeski :) )

If there was anything you could change about Monotype, what would it be?
I'm satisfied with the tier, but one thing I might want to change about Monotype is endorsing type-bans. I can understand why we don't do them. However in Monotype, where a type's viability is directly related to what's available to it, I feel like type-bans are required to achieve a better sense of balance. Fortunately we're not in dire need of them right now though, possibly Hoopa, but when the time comes, it would be nice to solve a problem without hurting another type's viability too much.

Any advice for new Monotype players?
Experiment at your own expense. Don't be afraid to just do it. Hail Grass? You can 6-0 an OU team with that. I want you to fail, get criticized, fail some more, and eventually you might get something that works. Maybe not, but at least you're doing things on your own, and on my list, that puts you above people who just copy teams without venturing off on their own. Leave a trail behind you rather than following in someone's footsteps. Now if you reply with, "but I just want to win," then I don't really have much else to say lol.

Would you recommend a Mono Player to join a "League" and why? If so, which league is best for beginners?
Oh yeah, definitely. If you're not involved with the room on the main server, but are interested in Monotype, Leagues offer a welcome community for you to have fun and polish your skills in. They're not for the faint of heart though.
Most leagues have their own little sort of sub-community, and it's best to just go with one where you feel comfortable. If I had to suggest one, it would probably be the Phoenix League because they're rounded out and have good players that can teach you a few things.

Finally, could you post a team with your favorite type and playstyle with a brief explanation on how it works?

Alue (Gardevoir) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Healing Wish

Yi (Azumarill) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Lu (Klefki) (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave

Ari (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Prim (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Stealth Rock

May (Togekiss) (F) @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Aura Sphere
Here's some Fairy offense. There is room for a number of microadjustments, like Spikes over Foul Play, Togekiss' item to leftovers, its set in general, etc., but the key is in how well Klefki's screens are used - whether it's to bait out a wall or in setting up your defenses to take advantage of an opportunity - and then using the right tool for the right job. Just a fun team, versatile and adapts well to different situations.

That's all for now guys, thanks again Arken and you now may feel free to ask your own questions! :)

Do you play any Monotype OMs? If so, what's your favorite?

If you could, would you unban Mega Mawile? (for both Fairy + Steel)

What is your type aside from Fairy?

BlackJak

formerly Balanced Break
What is your favorite meta game outside of Monotype?

Also since Magiana looks part fairy, what other type would you predict it to be?

Do you play any Monotype OMs? If so, what's your favorite?

If you could, would you unban Mega Mawile? (for both Fairy + Steel)

What is your type aside from Fairy?
1.) Does Monothreat count? That's the only one I've played. I will get going on those OM's soon enough, I swear.. I like the idea of STABmons as it promotes "Monotype" a bit more.
2.) LOL would be hilarious, it would yet again break the metagame, but no. I think it's cooler for Mega-Mawile to stay banned. It adds onto its character to be locked up for being too powerful.
3.) The type I used to seriously join a league was Steel and it's just one of the types I'll often fall back to. Fitting since Mega-Mawile is my favorite Pokemon with a Steel/Fairy typing.

What team (besides yours) do you expect to win MPl this season?
if you could change the meta 1 way, how would you do it?
1.) Sst.. As much as I hate to say it because they were my team's rival last year in MPL, I think Ambitious Altarias MAY pull away with the win again. They weren't in the lead at the start, but they won in the end. The same could very well happen again.
2.) Probably type-ban Hoopa from Psychic, lol. That thing adds too much of an offensive versatility to an already amazing type.

What is your favorite meta game outside of Monotype?

Also since Magiana looks part fairy, what other type would you predict it to be?
1.) OU. It's the only tier I was really interested in before Monotype fever set in. From time to time, my friend seeks me out and we ladder together to have fun with her... "Revolutionary" teams. Good times. I'm out of touch with the meta though, but give me a team and I'll be good to go.
2.) Steel. It has gears on its design, I'd be surprised if it wasn't Steel. It's the "Fairy" part that's more ambiguous to me. Looking forward to how it'll turn out. I hope it gets a Fire or Fighting move.

If you could, which one ban would you remove and which Pokemon would you ban?

Also thoughts on the meta and type disparity right now? (Electric rock ice etc)
1.) Unfortunately, I'm already content with the tier so there really isn't any ban that I want to undo. If I had to ban something right now though, it would probably be Hoopa-U, but it's bearable.
2.) Our meta's the best it's been in a long time. Zard X, Genesect, Greninja, those took a while to be removed and it annoyed me. As for the type disparity, not much can be really done about it, so I don't think much of it. Maybe in the coming generations, they'll receive some nifty tools to play with.

Do you have any advises to give to beginners ?

As you like fairy type, what new double-type do you wish for the next Gen (And why these double types)?

Do you have any advises to give to beginners ?

As you like fairy type, what new double-type do you wish for the next Gen (And why these double types)?
1.) Don't rely on sample teams. They may be functional, but they should learn how to teambuild. It's best for them to learn how to prepare for the meta on their own. Hey, they might also discover something really neat.
2.) Fairy/Fire is honestly all I want. A neutrality to Steel as well a STAB against it. Of course, every Fairy type is welcome.

How long have you been playing? And if you played the D.S./Gameboy games, which is your favorite one?

P.S.: That is one nice avatar with the Mawhile and trainer you got there. :^)

How long have you been playing? And if you played the D.S./Gameboy games, which is your favorite one?

P.S.: That is one nice avatar with the Mawhile and trainer you got there. :^)
If you mean Showdown, I've been playing since November 2013, just around the time when XY came out. Mega-Kangaskhan was still in OU back then. If you mean when I started playing Pokemon, I started with Yellow when I was maybe 7 years old? 6? I didn't play Pokemon again until I was 10 with Sapphire.

My favorite Pokemon games had to be Black and White, not B2/W2. I liked the unique feel that each character in the game had. You got to know about the way Gym Leaders lived their life. The plot revolving around Team Plasma was pretty cool too. It actually tackled the question of Pokemon and pretty much how we kind of enslave them, lol. I enjoyed the story all around, so that makes it my favorite.

Thanks! A user that goes by the name of "jiggle" made it for me. They're okay, cool, I guess.

I hope I'm not too late (probably am) but:

ArkenCiel my Fairy player of inspiration I have a couple questions for you.
  • What kinds of hobbies you enjoy doing outside of PS/Smogon?
  • Are there some up-comers/newcomers or potential players you see in Monotype?

I hope I'm not too late (probably am) but:

ArkenCiel my Fairy player of inspiration I have a couple questions for you.
  • What kinds of hobbies you enjoy doing outside of PS/Smogon?
  • Are there some up-comers/newcomers or potential players you see in Monotype?
Not too late!

Outside of PS/Smogon, I'm somewhat largely inactive until it's summer where I like to be on my feet. I particularly enjoy mud runs! I'm looking forward to taking up boxing this coming summer. During the rest of the year? It'll mostly be PS and maybe an anime or two, movies, shrug. Whatever catches my eye.

Players with potential.. Hrm.. None that haven't already been recognized by the masses or in Origin. Promising players are hard to ignore. :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)