Jumpluff @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- substitute
- sleep powder
- cotton guard/amnesia
- leech seed

Jumpfluff like pokemon once filled a 6th team slot that was known as the "annoyer" and it's easy to see why. With it's great speed and status moves, it can do a number on weakened teams, and will generally outheal physical boosters through a substitue via it's below average hp stat+ double recovery. It still functions to remove 108s and below, which is helpful. Jumpfull misses taunt a lot, especially if walls it's switched into have access to healing as well.

Jumpluff @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
timid Nature
- leech seed
- sleep powder
- Stun Spore
- encore

Jumpluff has a simple niche, it can status people through substitutes. If you have nightmares about being wrecked by any of sub/dragontail/twave/roost dragonite, keldeo/lando with sub+3 attacks, or a "dusty" sub+sword dance or dragon dance, then Jumpluff might be the pokemon for you. It's access to aromatherapy is about as outclassed as you can get on grass teams, but for flying teams, you have the option of running it with charizard-Y to get a chorylphill boost and a potential attack of its own to overcome its taunt weakness in ceirtain match ups. However, charizard is a wall breaker on its own, and jumpluff may find itself competing for a role. Finally jumpfull can be taunted by anything that also carries heal bell and can't touch overcoat/grass types.

The reason to use Jumpfull over its cousin whimsiccott, who has 252 and a + nature to put in a defense, prankster, taunt, and a better defensive typing, is to inflict mental trauma on your enemies with its red on white pupils. No matter how much of an advantage they get, they will never see it reflected in that poker face.

Last edited:
Victini A Rank (Fire)
Victini @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Trick/ Zen Headbutt/ Blue Flare (if you want to deal with skarm)
- Bolt Strike

Victini @ Choice Band

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt/ Trick
- Bolt Strike

Victini @ Assault Vest

EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Blue Flare
- Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Energy Ball/Glaciate
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Victini @ Choice Scarf

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Thunderbolt/Energy Ball/Shadow Ball/ Trick
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

General Info
Good old Victini it is a top tier threat but does not make S is its typing and somewhat limited physical movepull and predictable moves on physical sets. The special sets are outclassed by special attackers like Zard-y and Infernape. The av set is decent but it is most viable with AV set as a special attacker rather than a physical attacker. Overall Victini has one of hardest hitting moves in the game being V-create with base 180 power with stab it comes to 270 base power while in sun it has 540 base power which is crazy. With choice ban victini is an amazing wallbreaker and does massive damage with V-create in the Sun. The scarf set is a good revenge killer/ wall cripller with trick and also it can wallbreak with V-Create (not as good at wallbreaking as the band set). Also having access to bolt strike a base 130 physical electric attack with 85 accuracy. Also other things to note Victini has Blue Flare a base 130 special fire attack with 85 accuracy and glaciate which is now better than hidden power ice with base 65 power and 100% chance to lower opponent's speed by 1 stage which is very popular on assault vest or some scarf special Victinis The problem with Victini is that it is weak to shadow sneak, sucker punch, and knock off which holds it back a lot on fire. It also faces competition from Darmanitan(physical side) Chandelure (Special Side) as a Scarfer and Heatran and Rotom-H as a special defensive attacker. The scarf special set does not hit as hard as Zard-y and Chandelure, but Special Victini does have a decent movepull. Also the weakness to rocks makes it koed by majority or sucker punch users after stealth rocks.
Other options & Ability & Why A rank not S
Victini can run a defensive set with Wil-o-Wisp. Also having access to taunt, toxic, and T-Wave. the problem is that Victini is outclassed by defensive Arcanine which has recovery that works with sun while Victini only has rest which is not reliable way to recover hp. Overall Victini also with its ability Victory Star (This Pokemon and its allies' moves have their accuracy boosted to 1.1x) helps your team helps you miss moves less often which is nice. Overall what holds Victini back is its weakness to stealth Rocks and its weakness to two very common moves sucker punch and shadow sneak (sucker being more common). Victini is a good overall scarfer to put on almost any fire if you do not use a scarfed Darmanitan (if you want to use scarf Physical Victini) or scarfed Chandelure( if you use scarf special Victini). Victini can run multiple sets has decent bulk but its typing holds it back from being an S Rank Pokemon and weakness to Stealth Rocks.

Reactions: Zar
Infernape (fire) for A rank

Infernape Life Orb
Ability: iron fist
EVs: 252Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sword Dance
- Mach Punch
- flare blitz
- Close Combat

This set is designed to punish people who know LO mixape, lead ape, and scarf infernape enough to switch to a big wall and take the hit. With stealth rock damage even staple pokemon like swampert, zapdos, and suicune won't take a close combat unless they are 252/176 bold while resistant/extra fat switch in's like hippodon and dragon/flying types will at best take a 3HKO, but if they have 2-3 turns of sr or anykind of prior damage, even a u-turn or two, they will topple, and due to the offensive pressure of fire teams, this is easy to provide. Mach punch stops keldeo/ scarf terrakion/bisharp, and frailer resitant pokemon at mid health like thundurus, so generally you will want to use infernape as a late sweeper.

Infernape @ focus sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 162 Atk / 94 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Overheat
- Close Combat

Less appropriate for fire teams than fighting, since torkoal will also carry stealh rock, but It's offesnsive taunt and ability to lay down two attacks if they predict the taunt allow it to stop the rocks from being laid down in the first place should they be using a suicide lead, taunt can even be used on fodder turns if you predict something huge like a substute or shell smash, and often you will be able to switch infernape out after. If you do chose to run with torkoal or even SR hetran, then you can replace stealth rock with endeavor for surprise crippling of pokemon that would normally laugh at it's attacks.

Infernape @ choice scarf
EVs: 162 Atk / 94 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- hidden power ice
- fire Blast
- Close Combat

It lacks the power of fire's other scarf pokemon, but it's speed allows it to beat other 100-105 scarfers or +1 dragons very handily, It's easy to play mind games on this, as a lando-T won't know if you are going to kill it or opt to cripple their Special wall on a predicted switch. If you want to go pure physical, fire blast becomes flare blitz and hidden power ice usually becomes stone edge, although you can opt for sleep talk to become an ad-hoc status absorber.

Infernape @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grass knot
- hidden power ice
- fire Blast
- Fake out

Full special LO attacker owns admirable speed as always. Fake out allows you to bluff a physical set, which can lead to your opponet making two switches in a row if they don't check the damage percent/closely. It also prevents cloyster and omastar from setting up on you or skarmory trading its life for that one layer. stopping sturdy pokemon getting rocks up is major for fire teams, especially if using volcarona or charizard.

Infernape @ heat rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- sunny day
- hidden power ice
- fire blast
- solar beam

Using it's power to force switches with its coverage moves, infernape can make free turns for itself, and spread their benefit with the rest of the team. Generally should only be used if you want to skip both charizard-y and torkoal.

Infernape is a great support for fire teams and embodies their traditonal offensive pressure, leading to plenty of poke damage at the least, and multiple KO's if he is not treated with respect. He has even been known to pull out a choice band or nasty plot once in a while or combine taunt on life orb sets, leading to walls and tanks being obliged to stay out and smack him, surprise kos, and just generally getting % worn down for the rest of his team.

Last edited:

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Gourgeist (Ghost) for B D rank (accidentally hit E previously)

Sorry, but I do have to disagree with you entirely on what you have said. Partially coz you predicted me as being one of the many people puking in the inside, saying that Gourgeist is entirely outclassed by other pokemon and partially coz you have done pain split a disservice. In fact, it forces your opponent to keep their health low so as to stop your recovering.

Your pro of higher physical bulk? Well, Trevenant may take more from each hit, but he heals about 40% of his health each turn, so it still ends up taking more hits to take him down. I'll also get to how there are far more bulky pokes that you have completely neglected.

As for the support move, Dual Screens is done better by Rotom-O, who has fewer weaknesses, an immunity to ground type (better than the resist) and it resists flying types - a mono that has always been and always will be strong. Rotom possesses pain split as well - far superior recovery to waiting on leech seed at the end of each turn and a slow volt switch to allow you to bring in frailer attackers (such as Specs Gengar or Mega Banette) easily. The only think Gourgeist has to itself here is Trick-or-Treat, which is (as you have said yourself) gimmicky (at best) and can end up giving your opponent the advantage in the Normal and Dark matchups - giving them immunity to Fighting type attacks that you would normally use to get them, such as Drain Punch, Sacred Sword or Focus Blast.

Shadow Sneak as you mentioned is coming off of 100 base attack. However, without investing, that attack stat doesn't even hit 240, so they'd have to be increadibly frail (in which case, you can use any priority attacker) or the poke would have been KOed anyway if you had just set up that one or two more layers of spikes, etc.

Going to what you have said earlier in your post, there are more than three bulky ghost types. You named only Aegi, Gourg super and Dusclops. However, Cofagrigus not only is the BULKIEST of all ghost types, but he has access to Toxic Spikes - a serious help in the fire matchup (even though you can't burn, it doesnt matter as you will have them toxiced without even having to attack). Jellicent is not only a special wall with reliable recovery and taunt access, it's part of the fairly common Fire/Water/Grass core that ghost mono has been using for over a year (Jelli, Chandy and Trev). You also stated that Trevenant is a stall pokemon, but that doesn't mean he isn't a wall as well (which the majority of stall pokemon ARE). Max Bold defense is 295 and Trevenant is capable of recovering well over a third (sometimes 3/4) of its health every turn - combine that with the burns cutting damage he takes each turn and Trevenant is harder to take down than Gourgeist as you have too pretty much OHKO it or it's gonna back up to 60% in one turn (along with the WoW that ghost types are fond of).

You mentioned Aegislash is capable of being a wall, but you dismiss it after stating it's automatically gonna be used offensively. On the contrary, I have seen the defensive set being used in mono, but have not see a single SD set and only one Weak Policy used. Mainly with Doublade - Aegi's lil' brudda. Its Eviolite lets it be both Offensive and Bulky at the same time, letting you set up SD safely and wreck with Shadow Sneak, Gyro Ball and Sacred Sword.

Sableye and Spiritomb also can take hits for days, even if they play very different roles. Sableye - the prankster WoW and recover that let it take physical attacks head on and hit hard with Foul Play when it has nothing better to do. Spiritomb - the Crocune of Ghost mono with Resttalk, Calm mind and Dark Pulse that lets it set up on pretty much anything with over 345 Def the SE STAB in the mirror match. Spiritomb can also be a wall in itself or a mind games 'mon utilising Taunt + Sucker Punch + Pursuitc(which although is offensive to a degree, still functions

Essentially, what it comes down to is that you are overestimating Gourgeist, underestimating Trevenant and ignoring an assload of other ghost types that not only are bulkier than both the ghost types you named (ecept dusclops, coz he's the one of the bulkiest pokes in the game) which can go pretty much everything Gourgeist can do multiple times better - be it Light Screen (use Rotom), physical wall (Trevenant, Cofagrigus, even Sableye who has the advantage Taunt) or using Priority (Doublade, Mega Banette, Spiritomb).
The only thing you said that I can agree with is Cofagrigus. I will admit that Cofa slipped my mind, but Rotom? 50/77/77 defenses is NOT bulk. The only thing Rotom has over Gourgeist is the Scarf Trick set. Don't even try to argue that Rotom is bulky.
Sableye can take hits for days? 50/75/65 is about as frail as it gets. I wouldn't call it bulky even after investing in its HP and defenses. Unlike Sableye and Rotom, Spiritomb actually does have bulk, but I find it to be quite disappointing when I want it to take a hit and it still loses over half its HP despite its 50/108/108 base defenses.
Trevenant may take more from each hit, but he heals about 40% of his health each turn, so it still ends up taking more hits to take him down.
Recovering HP at the end of a turn means nothing if you get OHKO'd. Also, the HP recovery doesn't occur if Trevenant is over 50% health or if Harvest doesn't activate for that turn. It's more of a gamble. I'm not bashing Trevenant. I'm simply saying that you seem to have it in your head that Trevenant is god when you need to realize that it has its downfalls.

Sae Sae brings up some good points and I admit I might have aimed a little bit too high on Gourgeist, but I am adamant that it is not D rank. (In Grass I admit it's E rank, but we're talking about on Ghost). I can live with C but if we are going to be placing Gourgeist any lower than C, it won't be with my agreement. Yes, Gourgeist does take a bit more skill and experience to use than Trevenant does, but once you know how to use it, Gourgeist can and does do better than Trevenant as the Grass/Ghost type of the team. The only reason I'm willing to lower it to C is because of Sae's point about this being for new battlers. If you're a new battler, Trevenant is undeniably easier to use, but I stand firm that with some experience, Gourgeist plays the role of a wall much better than Trevenant ever could.

Before I forget I support cancer moving up to S tier. Anyway, I hope our next suspect gets better activity and in fact would be surprised if anyone else says anything between now and the 23rd.

Latios A Rank (Psychic)
Latios (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Fire(note you will be losing speed ties to Gengar and other Latios all the time if using hp fire)/Surf
- Defog/Surf/ Hidden Power Fire

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Fire/ Surf
- Trick/Surf/ Hidden Power Fire
- Psyshock

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Trick/ Surf/ Hidden Power Fire
- Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Fire/Surf
- Psyshock

General Info
Latios is a threat a big threat being able to do many things for your Psychic team. the sets i have listed above are ones i feel like are most common and are most dangerous. the First set is a Life orbed Latios which can carry defog. One thing Latios can do for Psychic is defog but other Pokemon inlcuding Latios's female counterpart Latias and mew outclass since they are a lot more bulkier than Latios. One to discuss is hidden power fire on Latios can be a big lose cause that iv in speed you lose hurts Latios a lot unless you are running a scarf set which in that case hp fire does not have much risk. Latios has to must moves which are Draco Meteor and Psyshock. The reasons these two are used the most is because draco is latios's hardest hitting move and Psyshock helps you with Blissey and chance. On the choice sets trick can be used to crippled walls that would normally wall latios (but it does not work on megas which kinda makes it useless on mega mawy). The other fillers i listed Surf and Thunderbolt are useful in some situation but leave you walled by some steel types. Latios also is immune to ground moves with its ability (Levitate) which is always nice to have. Latios as a good strong special attacker on psychic which is very useful if played right.
Other Moves/Sets and Why Latios should not be S rank on Psychic
Latios can run other filler such as energy ball, dragon pulse, shadow ball, and ice beam on sets i listed above. Other sets that can be used are lo tank (which is better on Latias) calm mind (better on Latias). Latios does get access to roost, thunder wave, and toxic ,but again Latias is better as a bulky Pokemon for Psychic. Latios has 4 move syndrome if it does not have a certain then it can't beat couple of Pokemon that are common in meta. Another reason it is weak to sucker punch (being a very common move with plus 1 priority) and shadow sneak. Also Latios is weak to Pursuit which prevents Latios from switching out if it tries to switch which is common on some sucker punch users. Also on Psychic there are many special attackers that are better or just as good as Latios and can do the role just as good or better. Also no matter what moves Latios has unless it is DD which is uncommon and outclassed it will get walled by a fairy type or a steel type depending on moves you give it. Latios has high speed good special attack which are very positive points, but Latios does not have a way beat fairy types and majority of steel types (depending on moves it has) which makes it A rank for Psychic to put as a scarfer or a hard hitting fast special attacker then Latios is the Pokemon that can do the job for your team.

Heliolisk for (Normal) C Rank

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Ice

Heliolisk's special attack and movepool are a bit of a let down, but in fact he's the middle poke for his type's special attackers (porygon family, exploud, melottea being better and the next best things being -shudder- lickilicky/wigglytuff/pyroar) Thankfully though he just manages to serve a purpose. At 109 Speed, he can check incredibly dangerous base 108 pokemon like Keldeo who would otherwise have a field day with a normal mono. He has very limited stall breaking ability that is dependent on him hitting weaknesses, but makes up for this by providing momentum with volt switch, which is otherwise the domain of u-turners. He can absorb water attacks and thunder wave, so he can be a game maker against fairy teams reliant on azumarill or trying to spread status with togekiss/klefki. It goes without saying that for electric teams he is an E pokemon, and should never be used. Using Life Orb does leave you with more room against tricky ground switch in's but his middling special attack is difficult to escape. Focus Blast is an option over grass knot if you want a back up for your close combat pokemon against dark/rock/ice, but it comes with tradeoffs against the likes of gastrodon and lanturn.

Heliolisk @ Leftovers/Petaya
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Ice

The sub set aims to punish people who switch out to escape him... there aren't many.....
Heliolisk is the sole user of the potentially awesome move electrify, but for whatever reason lacks volt absorb or lightningrod needed to make it viable.

Acast

Drifblim (Ghost) for D Rank

Drifblim @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Tailwind / Will-O-Wisp / Haze / Clear Smog / Thunder Wave / Memento / Destiny Bond
- Tailwind / Will-O-Wisp / Haze / Clear Smog / Thunder Wave / Memento / Destiny Bond
This set is only for those people who need Defog more than anything else. Focus Sash ensures Drifblim survives at least one hit unless Stealth Rock is on the field, but the set's main role is defogging entry hazards, so that in and of itself is a bit of a problem. The last three moves are just general support. Tailor it to what your team needs most. Use any 3 of the moves listed.

Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stockpile / Amnesia
- Acrobatics
- Endure
- Baton Pass
This is a very cool set that someone else gave me the idea for. Its only role is to get as many boosts as possible and then Baton Passing those boosts to a pokemon that can make good use of them *cough* Aegislash *cough* But seriously, if Drifblim can somehow manage to set up 3 Stockpiles and Baton Pass it to Aegislash, suddenly the opponent will be going into "OH SH*T" mode and you have the upper hand. If you can get the Weakness Policy boost on top of that, your opponent will have some serious issues to deal with.
Endure is there to ensure that Drifblim survives a super effective hit so that Weakness Policy will activate. Once the Weakness Policy is used, Unburden activates so Drifblim can Baton Pass before the opponent knocks it out. Acrobatics is just there in case you decide you want to KO something before using Baton Pass, but it usually won't be used.

Drifblim has one of the coolest designs out of all pokemon (in my honest opinion) and I love it more than most other pokemon, but it just doesn't have what it takes to be useful outside of gimmicks and 1 specific move: Defog. Drifblim is the only non-Uber ghost type to get any form of hazard removal. Beyond Defog, it has a wide array of support moves available to it, including Baton Pass (Shedinja is the only other ghost with access to Baton Pass). It also has a massive HP stat, but unfortunately for our little blimp, that's where its good points end. It has 44 base defense and 54 base special defense, hardly the kind of stats you want to see on a pokemon with such high HP. The HP stat is the only thing keeping Drifblim from bursting into flames at the slightest touch. Not to mention its offenses are mediocre at best. 80/90/80 most definitely are not sweeper stats. Because of its mediocre stats, it hardly ever sees any use despite its great move pool. The only time you will find Drifblim on a team is as a Defogger or a gimmick and it is a rare sight indeed.

Pro:

-Only legal Ghost with Defog
-Vast support move pool
-Massive HP stat

Con:
-Abysmal Defense and Special Defense
-Offensive stats are mediocre

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

For Psychic Mono:

Mew for S Rank

Physical Crippler

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/152 Sp. Def/104 Speed
Calm Nature

- Taunt
- Roost
- Defog/Stealth Rock
- Will-o-Wisp

There’s good reason that Mew was banned from UU; even in OU, it functions as one of the premier crippler of physical attackers. This set allows Mew to outrun the likes of Cloyster, Breloom, Bisharp, Honchkrow, DDance TTar or Mega TTar before a Dragon Dance, Adamant DNite before it uses Dragon Dance, and Adamant Gyarados-Mega before a Dragon Dance. A cool thing to note:

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 330-388 (81.6 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

However, I think you’re more likely to run into Dragon Claw, since most DNite users don’t want to run the Outrage on the chance they get matched up against a Fairy team.

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 220-259 (54.4 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Overall, this set helps support the overall bulk that a large portion of Psychic Pokémon already boast, helping the overall survivability of your team.

Additional Notes:

The Speed stat can be tweaked to beat other physical threats that you may find are a particular problem for your team:

32 Speed Calm is the lowest you want to go. This outspeeds Max Speed Adamant Bisharp and Max Speed Jolly TTar.

208 Speed Calm outspeeds Max Speed Jolly Gyarados-Mega pre boost; I do see a Jolly Gyara-Mega from time to time, so I thought it was worth noting.

220 Speed Timid outspeeds the rare banded Kyurem-Black you might run into. I found this more useful in the past pre-Kyurem-W introduction when Kyurem-B was vastly more common.

252 Speed Timid outspeeds the fastest variants of non-Choice Scarfed Genesect. Useful for the Banded Genesects that sometimes appear.

Whenever you do tweak this particular Mew moveset, I would do what you can to try and play around with the nature. Also, try to keep max HP. It provides an additional buffer to help this Mew take special hits as well.

I personally recommend Defog over Stealth Rock, as Victini, a common presence on Psychic monos, doesn’t appreciate the 25% damage from Stealth Rock. In the same vein, Stealth Rock is appreciated support against Bug teams.

Monotype Cleric

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/16 Def/216 Sp. Def/24 Speed
Bold Nature

- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off
- Roost/Softboiled

252+ SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Mew: 260-307 (64.3 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Mew: 237-281 (58.6 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Mew: 300-354 (74.2 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Mew: 270-320 (66.8 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Mew: 200-236 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Mew: 182-216 (45 - 53.4%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO

The thought behind these Greninja calcs is that quite a few people expect the Mew variant listed above. Should you lose a mon and bring in, you can get a TWave off on Greninja should your opponent not switch out, or you can para any switch in, barring your opponent having Krookodile.

+1 0 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Mew: 306-362 (75.7 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Be wary of Lum variants)

While it is noted that scarfed Victini can put a dent in Bulkyrona itself, it does help to know that you have an option outside Victini to para Volc and slow it down to the benefit of the rest of your team.

252 SpA Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Mew: 188-224 (46.5 - 55.4%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO (At +2, there is a 62.5% chance to OHKO)

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mew: 243-289 (60.1 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mew: 222-263 (54.9 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mew: 187-222 (46.2 - 54.9%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mew: 171-202 (42.3 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Shows the balance of the set between physical and special. Sucker Punch calcs are omitted since this Mew will not be attacking.

+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mew: 330-390 (81.6 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mew: 165-200 (40.8 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

A Cloyster can be a problem for a Psychic team after a Shell Smash boost given that Cloyster's huge defenses allow it to take quite a few fake outs from a MegaCham. Para'ing Cloyster allows something on your team to TBolt Cloyster, removing you of the worry. If it's sashed and you TBolt it down to sash, a mon with priority or resistance can come in and finish off Cloyster should your mon carrying TBolt fall to Cloyster.

252+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mew: 306-362 (75.7 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mew: 278-330 (68.8 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

Psychic mono would appreciate the benefit of slowing down DDance MegaTar, and since it can be seen as a pressure lead, this set provides nice support.

Additional Notes:

24 Speed allows Mew to outspeed Adamant variants of MegaTar pre DD, Honchkrow, and Cloyster. Since Mew can take these hits from Attack boosting natures, it should be sensible that while Mew will not outspeed say, Jolly MegaTar turn 1, it will be able to take a hit and paralyze.

Swords Dance Sweeper

Mew @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed+
Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide/Knock Off

Nasty Plot Sweeper

Mew @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed+
Timid Nature

- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Psyshock

The Swords Dance and Nasty Plot sets are self explanitory. Get in at an opportune time, boost, and hit things hard. Lum Berry is used to tank status once to keep Mew from being crippled and possibly preventing a sweep.

Additional Notes:

252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 282-332 (69.8 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

228 Atk Mew Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 272-320 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Mew Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 312-368 (114.7 - 135.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As these calcs show, a bulkier 252 HP Mew with a sweeping set can take a Sucker Punch after rocks. Also, 252 HP/228 Atk on the Swords Dance set allows Mew to run 28 Speed which outspeeds Adamant Mega Tyranitar. To outspeed a Jolly variant, 4 EVs could be taken out of HP, moved to speed, and give Mew a speed boosting nature that will lower the attack opposite of what you are using.

Bulk Up Set

Mew @ Lum Berry
EVs: 148 HP/108 Atk/252+ SpD
Careful Nature

- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off

+1 0 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 148 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 270-320 (71.4 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 108 Atk Mew Rock Slide vs. 240 HP / 252 Def Volcarona: 372-440 (100.2 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 148 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 182-216 (48.1 - 57.1%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO

108 Atk Mew Rock Slide vs. 240 HP / 252 Def Volcarona: 248-296 (66.8 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Two scenarios are presented here. One where both Volc and Mew are boosted, one where neither are. A Bug user may switch Volc in on Mew expecting a Will- to a physically oriented mon should this Mew set not have been revealed prior. Additionally, should you predict a Volcarona switch in, this Mew can also be brought in and grab a Bulk Up, as the opponent will likely QD expecting a switch out granted that Will-o Mew is the most common. After a Bulk Up boost, Rock Slide is a guaranteed OHKO.

252 SpA Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 148 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 168-200 (44.4 - 52.9%) -- 26.2% chance to 2HKO

108 Atk Mew Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Houndoom: 206-244 (70.7 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 148 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 336-396 (88.8 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

With the HP recovery granted in the first scenario where neither are boosted, Mew regains enough HP to survive 2 Dark Pulses and KO.

252 Atk Life Orb Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. +1 148 HP / 0 Def Mew: 257-304 (67.9 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Krookodile Knock Off vs. +1 148 HP / 0 Def Mew: 174-205 (46 - 54.2%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO

+1 108 Atk Mew Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Krookodile: 216-256 (65.2 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 148 HP / 0 Def Mew: 382-452 (101 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Krookodile Knock Off vs. 148 HP / 0 Def Mew: 260-307 (68.7 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

108 Atk Mew Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Krookodile: 146-172 (44.1 - 51.9%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO

Getting a Bulk Up boost in before Krook enters the field will be crucial for this Mew set to handle it. Psychic will likely have other partners capable of taking it down, but with a defensive boost, Bulk Up Mew is fully capable of handling the job.

252 Atk Krookodile Crunch vs. 148 HP / 0 Def Mew: 242-288 (64 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 148 HP / 0 Def Mew: 294-348 (77.7 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mew can survive hits from Choice Scarf variants of Krookodile, however.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 148 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 264-312 (69.8 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 148 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 240-284 (63.4 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 148 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 229-273 (60.5 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 148 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 211-250 (55.8 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 148 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 176-210 (46.5 - 55.5%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 148 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 162-192 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- 2.7% chance to 2HKO

If the opponent is expecting the Will-o set, Mew can come in and sponge a hit after a partner is KO'd and deal a hefty amount of damage to Greninja.

Additional Notes:

As in the Swords Dance and Nasty Plot set, Lum Berry is used to prevent Mew's possible sweep being ended. Recovery can be gained from Drain Punching barring a matchup against a Ghost Monotype or Sableye on a Dark Monotype.

Double Dancing Mew

Mew @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP/148 Atk+ or Sp. Atk+/108 Speed, Adamant Nature or Modest Nature

- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance/Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere/Ice Beam/Drain Punch/Rock Slide/EQ
- Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Shadow Claw/Rock Slide/EQ

OMG Omega you just don't know what move to run. Well, in all honesty, pick the two moves that pair well with each other and will benefit your Psychic Mono. That's the only advice I can offer here.

Additional Notes:

Anywhere else I've noted Lum, same reason applies here.

Baton Passing Mew

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 Speed, Bold Nature (Passing Amnesia)
EVs: 252 HP/220 Sp. Def/36 Speed, Careful Nature (Passing Barrier or Iron Defense)
EVs: 252 HP/148 Def+ or 148 Sp. Def+/108 Speed, Bold Nature/Careful Nature (Passing Rock Polish)
EVs: 252 HP/148 Def+/120 Speed Bold Nature(Passing Swords Dance or Nasty Plot)
EVs: 252 HP/148 Sp.Def+/120 Speed Calm Nature (Passing Bulk Up)

- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance/Nasty Plot/Rock Polish/Iron Defense or Barrier/Amnesia/Bulk Up
- Taunt/Magic Coat
- Roost/Softboiled

Additional Notes:

36 Speed is used to outrun some faster taunters that I see below Mew's base speed tier that sometimes run taunt, namely Gliscor and Mandibuzz. Calm Nature is listed in Bulk Up so that if Mew becomes confused, it does not hit itself as hard as it could should it hit itself in confusion. When passing an attack stat, I recommend using Defense and 120 speed to outpace and be overall physically bulkier against mons such as MegaTTar, Honch, and Cloyster running speed boosting natures; only 24 is necessary for Adamant versions. 108 speed on the Rock Polish set allows you to Baton Pass out on Scarfed Base 110s with Speed boosting natures before they can hit you again.

Overall Notes:

Wherever Lum Berry is listed as an item, if you have a preference for Lefties, by all means use it. Lum just affords Mew to take one status move in a situation where you can only 2HKO a status inducing mon you outspeed. In this instance, the statuser dies and Mew is free of status.

Anttyaz, I'll finish my other reservations ASAP. I've just been a tad busy. Also, if you'd like to pretty up this post, by all means, do so. I'm not sure how to post sprites. If someone could give me the lowdown on that, it'd be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm assuming it's Soundproof Regular Abomasnow that's viable on Mono-Grass? I would assume Mega-Aboma is trash on Mono-Grass because it hinders the team more than it helps.

I'm assuming it's Soundproof Regular Abomasnow that's viable on Mono-Grass? I would assume Mega-Aboma is trash on Mono-Grass because it hinders the team more than it helps.
Tbh, if you're using Abomasnow, you should only be using Scarf Snow Warning Blizzard to kill those Birds. Boomburst's pretty rare on its own

Abomasnow with soundproof does have a nice niche immunity to bug buzz, but most bug types carrying bug buzz often have another SE STAB on abomasnow. Volcarona has fiery dance, Yanmega has air slash, and Genesect has flamethrower/flash cannon/u-tur, which kinda prevents abomasnow from using the immunity well. It does make an awesome switch in to a Galvantula though. I think it would be better to just run Snow warning to blizzard spam or take out sun in a pinch since that's what really makes him viable at all.

Acast

Donphan (Ground) for D Rank

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock / Stone Edge / Knock Off / Play Rough / Seed Bomb

Donphan @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Play Rough / Seed Bomb / Knock Off / Stone Edge
- Play Rough / Seed Bomb / Knock Off / Stone Edge

Donphan is one of those Pokemon that really isn't that bad in the standard tiers. It has good attack, defense, and HP stats, a strong physical move pool, access to priority, Stealth Rock, and what it's best known for, Rapid Spin. The problem with it in monotype is that it just doesn't stand out. Ground teams almost never need hazard removal because they don't rely on sashes and their members resist Stealth Rock. Almost all Ground types can learn Stealth Rock, so Donphan is not special in that sense either. There are also plenty of Ground types with good attack, defense, and HP stats. Literally any role Donphan can play on a Ground team could be done better by something else. Hippowdon is a better Stealth Rock setter. Mamoswine gets STAB on its Ice Shard and a higher attack stat, as well as Thick Fat, which really helps against Ground's ice weakness. It's unfortunate that a Pokemon as cool as Donphan has so little use, but if you want to be a hipster Ground user, then Donphan is what you're looking for. Just don't expect it to do better than Hippowdon or Mamoswine.

What do you think are the scariest threats in Monotype all combined? I'm thinking of requesting art (I'd love to take Nani / Dirpz's but I don't want to be sued for causing people to fait in awe).

What should the art look like? (I'm thinking of some S ranked Pokemon in a classic catfight while a Skarmory / Flying Pokemon flies above them with a smirk.

While the scarier threats could be done biasedly (and really I don't agree with th skarm bit) but if you wanted to put the biggest threats might as well put Mega Medicha breaking through most of the monotypes as that is one of the bigger ones.

Or possibily have like a gumball machine that's filled with monotype balls and it having the most dangerous/viable ones in the little slot where ya get the candy from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)