Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Anttyaz said:
Explanation: This is essentially pseudo Lugia with a defense boosting move. After a Cotton Guard, almost nothing can break through it physically.

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 175-207 (49.4 - 58.4%) -- 65.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 105-125 (29.6 - 35.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 136-161 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

The best thing is that it gets a nifty 102 base speed so it can waltz right into things like Mega Medicham & Mega Mawile and start to set up.
Cotton Guard actually boosts Defense by 3, so it's even tankier than this lol, OP

EDIT: Also supporting Clefable for S Rank, don't really have a lot to add to afd's post, I thought his points were all spot on.

Also for the art we do in the end, I'd definitely support Greninja being on it somewhere, not only is it one of the biggest threats, but also it's type changing shenanigans just seem to fit kinda nice.

Last edited:

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, I just now got around to looking at post #3 and reading the discussions on CharY and Clef...

Seeing as Sae/dm have said everything I think there is to say about CharY I'll just put my vote in for it to be S rank. Same goes for Clefable w/ AFD and Antt: the cancer is definitely S rank.

I'll get with the game on the next two 'mons and actually provide something meaningful to the discussion.

Torterra (Ground) for C!

Torterra @ Yache Berry / Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Superpower

This is a little unorthodox, but it utilises Torterra's unique typing as a way of dealing with monotypes like Water. With it's natural bulk, getting off a rock polish can be quite easy, especially if you come in on something like Swampert, Lanturn or Tentacruel. Even Gyarados can't stop it. After a rock polish, Torterra outspeeds all unboosted water types, dealing massive damage with a STAB Wood Hammer. The only real counter to this on a water mono is physically defensive sap sipper Azumarill, which is rather rare. Again though, you have to have massive problems with water monotypes to warrant using this over a more consistent team member.

Sub Seed Set
Torterra @ Leftovers
212 HP / 252 SpD / 44 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed/Toxic/Stealth Rock
- Seed Bomb/Earthquake
- Roar/Protect/Stealth Rock
- Synthesis

This set is great pivot into special attackers, particularly grass typed ones, and offers some differentiation from Hippo and Gastro. Namely, it's typing. Grass allows it to check things that Hippowdon wouldn't, such as Keldeo, Rotom-W/S, and Virizion. Even with the typing, you have to be sure you wouldn't be better off with Hippowdon. They do very similar things, aside from Leech seed and Grass STAB. Running things such as your phasing move or Stealth Rock on Torterra can help free up some room on Hippowdon though.

Yum!!! (Torterra) @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer

The mighty Yum!!! seems a bit misplaced one may think on a ground team. Using him puts you at a high oppurtunity cost of another x4 ice weak Mon but without the utility of Landorus or Gliscor or pure wrath of Garchomp. He adds an indexed weakness to flying and fore to a type that usually makes those run in fear so what could he possibly do?

Well quite alot actually from anyone who has ever seen me battle (or my friend who is also skilled in the scarfed Terra arts) you have seen him do a hell of alot. He is able to outspeed a timid non scarfed Keldeo by a few points and OHKO with Wood Hammer. He can decimate Rotom-W before it evn gets a chance to burn the rest of his team. He can absorb the Char Y solarbeam intended on Hippowdon and retaliate with Stone Edge. He is also able to comfortably act as an offensive Lando-I switch in as with just a little prior damage to ensure the kill with Wood Hammer. That's not events to say how well of an emergency check he can serve to killing Ludicolo after using hippo as a sacrifice to change the weather (and the majority of water teams in general). Not to mention that he is one the few Mons to take Azumarill 1v1 on in Ground monos due to his water neutrality (not many things can boast if at all).

I mean he has alot of uses but he is a bit situational of a choice as really here are usually more viable choices to fight against some of those threats in general and the fact it usually does so well mainly due to the fact it has the aided effect of unexpected power by not being seen all that much. It just is a great Mon that comes down to preference which really suits C ranking.

Last edited:

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Torterra (Ground) for C!

252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer

The mighty Yum!!! seems a bit misplaced one may think on a ground team. Using him puts you at a high oppurtunity cost of another x4 ice weak Mon but without the utility of Landorus or Gliscor or pure wrath of Garchomp. He adds an indexed weakness to flying and fore to a type that usually makes those run in fear so what could he possibly do?

Well quite alot actuallyn from anyone who has ever seen me battle (or my friend who is also skilled in the scarred Terra arts) you have seen him do a hell of alot. He is able to outspeed a timid non scarfed Keldeo by a few points and OHKO with Wood Hammer. He can decimate Rotom-W before it evn gets a chance to burn the rest of his team. He can absorb the Char Y solarbeam intended on Hippowdon and retaliate with Stone Edge. He is also able to comfortably act as an offensive Lando-I switch in as with just a little prior damage to ensure the kill with Wood Hammer. That's not events to say how well of an emergency check he can serve to killing Ludicolo after using hippo as a sacrifice to change the weather (and the majority of water teams in general).

I mean he has alot of uses but he is a bit situational of a choice as really here are usually more viable choices to fight against some of those threats in general and the fact it usually does so well mainly due to the fact it has the aided effect of unexpected power by not being seen all that much. It just is a great Mon that comes down to preference which really suits C ranking.
Is that 252 Special Defense or Speed? Because SpD stands for Special Defense, but I'm assuming you mean Speed (Spe). Not quite sure if I agree with this or not. I haven't used Torterra, but I put Donphan in D rank for Ground so I find it hard to believe that Torterra would be better than Donphan.

Freeroamer

salemance said:

Well quite alot actuallyn from anyone who has ever seen me battle (or my friend who is also skilled in the scarred Terra arts) you have seen him do a hell of alot. He is able to outspeed a timid non scarfed Keldeo by a few points and OHKO with Wood Hammer. He can decimate Rotom-W before it evn gets a chance to burn the rest of his team. He can absorb the Char Y solarbeam intended on Hippowdon and retaliate with Stone Edge. He is also able to comfortably act as an offensive Lando-I switch in as with just a little prior damage to ensure the kill with Wood Hammer. That's not events to say how well of an emergency check he can serve to killing Ludicolo after using hippo as a sacrifice to change the weather (and the majority of water teams in general).

You don't actually mention one of the biggest reasons to having Torterra on a Ground team, which is it's neutrality to Water and Grass type moves which are common weaknesses on Ground teams, and it's decent bulk with investment. For this reason I think you should add a bulky Leech Seed set, taking advantage of the typing it has on Ground. Agree with it being C, it has a niche, albeit a very small one.

EDIT: My bad, you kind of do mention it's typing with the stuff that it checks, but I'd still add a section saying that it's typing is the main reason you'd use it over other stuff.

Last edited:
Is that 252 Special Defense or Speed? Because SpD stands for Special Defense, but I'm assuming you mean Speed (Spe). Not quite sure if I agree with this or not. I haven't used Torterra, but I put Donphan in D rank for Ground so I find it hard to believe that Torterra would be better than Donphan.

Sp Def is Special Defense in EV spreads while Spd is Speed (or that's how its always been).

Honestly I have always found Torterra more useful than Donphan which is why I put it in C ranking and how I've always had it perform. It also fits generally well alongside the other current C ranked Mons of Crobat and Articuno more so than the D ranks of Ariados and Garbedor.

Quagsire (Water) for A Rank

With the rise of Mega-Evolutions in Gen. 6, the power creep has been insane. Threats such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Pinsir, Belly Drum Azumarill, Mega Mawile, and Bisharp ravage the tier with their sheer force. What once were famed physical walls in past generations now fall to these sweepers who can boost their Attack to freakish levels. However, one noble creature has chosen to stand up to these fearsome beings. This brave knight has dared to look these demons in their eyes with unwavering courage--and this is that look:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Counter/Toxic

Quagsire has risen in usage this generation due to the massive amount of physical threats that can boost their attack stat. It has such a useful ability in Unaware, which ignores any boosts to the opposing Pokemon's stats. Coupled with reliable recovery in Recover (lol), Quagsire is able to continually withstand hits from the likes of non-Megas such as Salamence, Dragonite, and Bisharp. In the case for certain Megas, however, Quagsire may not be able to do the same; this set is for those situations. Replacing the commonly-seen Toxic, Counter allows Quagsire to retaliate against powerful Megas including Mega Medicham, Mega Pinsir, and Mega Mawile, OHKO'ing them after receiving an attack. This allows for a quick solution to a potential sweep from the opposing team, as most physical walls on Mono-Water can now be OHKO'd/2HKO'd after a Swords Dance from many common Megas. Revealing Counter on your Quagsire may also dissuade the opponent from attacking, from which you can attempt to burn the opposing Pokemon with Scald.

Do not attempt to switch Quagsire directly into an attack from the aforementioned Megas, as he unfortunately can be 2HKO'd with the proper move. Instead, use the versatility of Mono-Water to your advantage. As Water has access to all types but Fire (until Volcanion is released), switching the right Pokemon into a resisted attack (or an attack it is immune to) is the way to go. Rotom-W is a great bulky pivot with Volt Switch to get Quagsire in safely. Other options include Empoleon, Slowbro, Jellicent, and Azumarill, who all have useful resistances and immunities. The key is to keep Quagsire near (or at) full health.

Keeping Quagsire healthy and preventing him from taking strong special attacks are the most notable issues when using him, but with the proper judgment and team-building, one can ensure that their Water Mono won't be defeated so easily by any physical sweeper.

Last edited:

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Sp Def is Special Defense in EV spreads while Spd is Speed (or that's how its always been).
I'm sorry to be so picky, but no that's not how it is. SpD is Special Defense and Spe is Speed. I'm assuming we're going based on the code for Showdown's team builder.

And regarding Torterra, like I said, I haven't used it so I guess I'll just have to leave it to everyone else to decide on this one.

You don't actually mention one of the biggest reasons to having Torterra on a Ground team, which is it's neutrality to Water and Grass type moves which are common weaknesses on Ground teams, and it's decent bulk with investment. For this reason I think you should add a bulky Leech Seed set, taking advantage of the typing it has on Ground. Agree with it being C, it has a niche, albeit a very small one.
Yah I was more focusing on the the benefits on that set in general (and thought i sorta covred the utlity of grass neutralities with gliscor nd lando and water neutrality with Garchomp) and yes while it does offer a the neutrality to grass,he oesnt offer alot usually outside of the Breloom stop due to his coverage options
(which isn't even that much as he gets shut down between the Ferrothorn Mega Venue cores). Still he is one of the best wyas to defeat Crackly outside of Toxic Stalling (Overgrowth Wood Hammer. Got t love it).

And if you really think the leech seed set is worth a mention ill add it but generally I havent found it as much of a use as I have the scarf set. Just give me alittle bit then to add it then.

EDIT: Acast okay well that's how I've always seen it put so whatever then. Guess ill dot then but jut stating hats how I've always seen it bud.

Last edited:

Freeroamer

Salemance said:
Yah I was more focusing on the the benefits on that set in general and yes while it does offer a the neutrality to grass,he oesnt offer alot usually outside of the Breloom stop due to his coverage options (which isn't even that much as he gets shut down between the Ferrothorn Mega Venue cores). Still he is one of the best wyas to defeat Crackly outside of Toxic Stalling (Overgrowth Wood Hammer. Got t love it).

And if you really think the leech seed set is worth a mention ill add it but generally I havent found it as much of a use as I have the scarf set. Just give me alittle bit then to add it then.
Eh it's up to you, mention the typing a little more prominently i would say, adding the set is your choice.

Also, seeing as most people seem to agree that Clef and Zard Y should be/stay S respectively, could I suggest a tiering debate for Garchomp and it's Mega on Ground? Mega is currently B and standard is A, which I believe should swapped as the Mega fills a much more vital niche on Ground teams. I'm going to shamelessly quote an earlier post i did on this that noone commented on xD

I disagree with Garchomp being ranked above it's Mega forme purely because of the niche that the Mega fills compared to the base forme on Ground. The base forme struggles to really find a spot on Ground due to there being preferred pokes that do the roles better. A physical all out attacker set is done better by Mamoswine thanks to it's Ice Shard and better STAB for Ground teams. A physically bulky set is outclassed by Hippowdon due to it's superior bulk and recovery, and Hippowdon can also provide the Stealth Rock that the lead set aims to get up. So the only 2 sets left are the SubSD set and the Choice Scarf set. I will admit the Choice Scarf set does have value, being able to revenge kill threats such as Greninja and Shaymin-S (Providing they're not running scarfs of their own) and the subSD set has value in it's surprise factor. However both of these sets fall into the same trap in that they are beaten by common physical walls such as Slowbro and Mandibuzz which are already a massive pain for Ground teams to handle due to the rarity of special attackers outside of Landorus and Nidoking. This is the niche that Mega Garchomp fills, being able to beat both of these, as well as deal with Skarmory and Ferrothorn more reliably as it isn't locked into a Fire move like the Choice Scarf set would be, allowing Heatran to switch in freely. Overall I believe that at the very least, Garchomp should move down to B Rank while maybe Mega Garchomp could move up to A Rank? Would appreciate other's thoughts on this.

+2 252 Atk Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 334-394 (78.9 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 324-382 (90.5 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

This +2 is obviously referring to the SD set.

Last edited:
Eh it's up to you, mention the typing a little more prominently i would say, adding the set is your choice.

Also, seeing as most people seem to agree that Clef and Zard Y should be/stay S respectively, could I suggest a tiering debate for Garchomp and it's Mega on Ground? Mega is currently B and standard is A, which I believe should swapped as the Mega fills a much more vital niche on Ground teams. I'm going to shamelessly quote an earlier post i did on this that noone commented on xD
I plan to make them Garchomp (Ground), Mega-Garchomp (Ground), and Avalugg (Since Nani Man is having a heart attack every time he sees it in A) And it doesn't really seem to affect the writing part so it's all good

Yah I was more focusing on the the benefits on that set in general (and thought i sorta covred the utlity of grass neutralities with gliscor nd lando and water neutrality with Garchomp) and yes while it does offer a the neutrality to grass,he oesnt offer alot usually outside of the Breloom stop due to his coverage options
(which isn't even that much as he gets shut down between the Ferrothorn Mega Venue cores). Still he is one of the best wyas to defeat Crackly outside of Toxic Stalling (Overgrowth Wood Hammer. Got t love it).

EDIT: Acast okay well that's how I've always seen it put so whatever then. Guess ill dot then but jut stating hats how I've always seen it bud.
Team builder has always been weird. Apparently SpD has been Special Defense and Spe has been Speed teambuilder wise. It's one of those things where it's confusing asf ._.

I plan to make them Garchomp (Ground), Mega-Garchomp (Ground), and Avalugg (Since Nani Man is having a heart attack every time he sees it in A) And it doesn't really seem to affect the writing part so it's all good

Team builder has always been weird. Apparently SpD has been Special Defense and Spe has been Speed teambuilder wise. It's one of those things where it's confusing asf ._.
Thing is that's how I've always typed for the teambuilder so idk just weird as to how that's just how it works (still shows up as speed in there so idk). Just threw me for a loop was all.

Reserving Surskit, Politoed, and Gyarados/Mega Gyarados (I think I would have different nuances for both of them, so I'll analyze both) for Water.
Just curious, are you going to write Polited / Gyarados / Mega Gyarados? It's past the 5 day limit so if someone wants it they can take it unless if you want an extension. Also, nice Mew post :) Omega for Novelist
Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 ATK/ 252 Spd/ 4 Hp
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbitt
- Ice Punch

MEDICHAM FOR A RANK(fighting)
Medicham is just as good in monotype as it is on ou. It can OHKO plenty of threats in the tier, and it can spam high jump kick more with ghost monotype teams not very common. The only thing holding it back is the bird spam in the tier(mega pinsir, mega aerodactyl, staraptor etc.).
Can you please change the Spd to Spe? The correct way of writing an importable for a set is this: EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe. The order is always this: HP, Atk, Def, SpA, SpD, Spe. If you make these changes, I'll quote your post. Otherwise, someone else will be able to reserve and take Medicham. Thanks ^^
reserving Meloetta, Victini and Celebi for Psychic
Are you still going to write Celebi / Victini? If you want an extension just tell me ^^
I want to "reserve" Mega-Charizard Y
Are you still going to write Charizard? If you want an extension just tell me ^^
Will get mega ttar done tomorrow, with the new reserve limit in mind I'll reserve Tornadus-T (Flying) and Mega Gyarados (Flying) also, ty ^_^
Are you still doing Mega Gyarados for Flying? If you want an extension just tell me ^^

Also truedrew are you going to finish Porygon2 or do you want an extension? ^^
Ill be reserving Hydreigon (Dark), Azumarill (Water), Uxie (Psychic).

I do have to agree there is some weird ones in here, and hope that we can work them out so for now I would suggest just reserving pokemon, and writing them up I know im guilty of doing it but it I shall say stop please.
Are you going to finish Hydreigon or do you want an extention? ^^

Freeroamer

Yeah an extension for Gyara would be appreciated, if I don't get it up by tomorrow night feel free to pass it on, I've had plenty of time already ^_^

Yeah an extension for Gyara would be appreciated, if I don't get it up by tomorrow night feel free to pass it on, I've had plenty of time already ^_^
As long as you're writing it take your time. We aren't in a race to finish ^^

Kyurem-B A Rank (Ice)
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band

Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head/Rock Slide/ Zen Headbut

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers

Impish Nature
- Hone Claws
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Substitute

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb

Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt

General Info
Alright Kyurem-B is a monster with that base 170 attack it has outrage fusion bolt as good physical moves then the rest of its physical movepul is terrible. The sets that are most effective lets start with scarf. Kyurem-B has base 95 speed which is pretty good idea to used a scarf mon and can be a useful tool on ice monos. The main problem with this set is kyurem-B needs all of its moves to beat a certain pokemon and does not get access to a move physicla ice move. Choice ban Kyurem-B is very dangerous the problem again is that Kyurem-B needs ice coverage so it often relies on ice beam. Altohugh Kyurem-b does have the decent 120 special attack stat which makes Kyurem- the perfect mixed lo attacker with the high offenses and decent bulk. The sub suffler set is very interesting because Kyurem-B does have the decent bulk and access to hone claws which works with dragon tail and relaible recovery. Another point to mention Kyurem-B needs spin support which can be give by Avalugg or Cryogonal. Kyurem black other than that does not need much other support other than keeping stealth rocks away.
Other Sets/ Why its not S Rank & Ability
Kyurem-B can run an assault vest set and a roost 3 attack set which can all be effective. Its ability is one that is forgoten most of time by the person who uses it and the person who is facing it. Terravolt is basically mold breaker which helps in killing Rotom-w, Dragonite, Mega Venasaur, Pokemon with sturdy etc. The couple thing that hold it back from being the S rank pokemon is not reliable physical ice type move and earthquake. Without those that big physical attack stat only has 2 amazing moves being outrage and fusion bolt(freeze shock sucks since its a charging move). In conclusion Kyurem-B is a good choice user of a good mixed attacker that is suited for every ice team (without Kyurem-W in picture ofc). Overall Kyurem-B needs to rely on e power and Ice Beam for much needed coverage. Kyurem-B is a good pokemon with decent bulk but it needs the good physical ice move which holds it back from being an S Tier pokemon (or an Uber in general).

Freeroamer

meh thought LGI and did it now

Mega Gyarados (Flying) for A Rank
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang / Substitute / Taunt / Stone Edge

Set Details: A fearsome DD sweeper set, capable of setting up on many Pokemon and forcing them out thanks to it's coverage and power. Dragon Dance is the set-up move of choice, allowing Mega Gyarados boost both it's Attack and Speed, becoming more powerful and harder to revenge kill. Waterfall is the STAB of choice, and hits hard even unboosted. Earthquake provides solid coverage alongside Waterfall, hitting targets such as Water types that would resist Waterfall. It also benefits massively from Mold Breaker, allowing it to hit Levitate users such as Rotom-W and Eelektross. The last slot is an interesting choice, Ice Fang hits the Grass types that would otherwise wall this set for good damage, in particular Mega Venusaur thanks to Mold Breaker negating Thick Fat. Substitute gives Gyarados protection from status and faster revenge killers, and generally gives more freedom to set up. Remember Mega Gyarados doesn't have any recovery whatsoever, so Substitute can be a big drain on it's lifespan. Taunt gives you setup opportunities that Substitute wouldn't, such as against common Mega Gyarados switchins like Skarmory and Mandibuzz. However it isn't a good idea to setup until they are weakened anyway. Stone Edge provides some useful coverage with Earthquake, particularly if your team is weak to either Kyurem forme which isn't unusual on a Flying Monotype. Intimidate is the original ability of choice, giving Mega Gyarados more room to set up and making great use of normal Gyarados' great defensive typing. Standard physical sweeper EV spread, with an Adamant nature as you are boosting Speed anyway and Mega Gyarados wants all the power it can get. Jolly is an alternative choice if you are afraid of Speed creep from stuff like Mew who could burn you before you Sub, but the drop in power is quite noticeable.

Explanation: Gyarados has always been a nearly mon, always useful but never quite top tier. However this gen it got a new Mega Evolution which aimed to help change all that. While it didn't get the sub-Dragon typing a lot of people would've hoped for, it did get some very impressive stat boosts that gave it a great stat distribution for that of a bulky booster. Both the abilities it can use in one game help in this role, with Intimidate giving it more set-up opportunities while Mold Breaker means it's coverage is not hindered by ability based immunities / resistances. Gyarados has also always had that impressive movepool that seems to come courtesy of being an early gen Pokemon, meaning it has apt options to fill it's slots with, be it coverage or options to ease the setting up process. It's sub-Dark typing can actually be a blessing in disguise on Flying monos too, as it means after Mega Evolution it becomes the only legal Pokemon on Flying monotype to be able to claim it resists Ice, meaning that with it's great bulk it adds a lot of synergy value to it's team. This is particularly seen when facing Gravity Landorus Ground teams, a matchup Flying has a lot of difficulty with, however Gyarados can use it's pre-evolution typing and decent special bulk to set up on nearly any member of a Ground team, and then Mega Evolve and smash through their defensive core with +1 Waterfalls that bypass Gastrodon's Storm Drain thanks to Mold Breaker.

Why A Rank? A threatening lategame sweeper with great synergy for it's type mono, Gyarados has only a few flaws that hold it back from S Rank. The most notable of these is the opportunity cost of using it as your Mega Evolution, as it prevents you from being able to use either Charizard forme who themselves are very notable presences on Flying, particularly the X forme. It's coverage, while by no means bad, doesn't actually hit that much for super effective damage and opens it up to having a lot of checks, meaning it requires support to remove these before it can sweep.

Last edited:
Kyurem-B A Rank (Ice)
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf

Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band

Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head/Rock Slide/ Zen Headbut

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers

Impish Nature
- Hone Claws
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Substitute

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb

Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt

General Info
Alright Kyurem-B is a monster with that base 170 attack it has outrage fusion bolt as good physical moves then the rest of its physical movepul is terrible. The sets that are most effective lets start with scarf. Kyurem-B has base 95 speed which is pretty good idea to used a scarf mon and can be a useful tool on ice monos. The main problem with this set is kyurem-B needs all of its moves to beat a certain pokemon and does not get access to a move physicla ice move. Choice ban Kyurem-B is very dangerous the problem again is that Kyurem-B needs ice coverage so it often relies on ice beam. Altohugh Kyurem-b does have the decent 120 special attack stat which makes Kyurem- the perfect mixed lo attacker with the high offenses and decent bulk. The sub suffler set is very interesting because Kyurem-B does have the decent bulk and access to hone claws which works with dragon tail and relaible recovery. Another point to mention Kyurem-B needs spin support which can be give by Avalugg or Cryogonal. Kyurem black other than that does not need much other support other than keeping stealth rocks away.
Other Sets/ Why its not S Rank & Ability
Kyurem-B can run an assault vest set and a roost 3 attack set which can all be effective. Its ability is one that is forgoten most of time by the person who uses it and the person who is facing it. Terravolt is basically mold breaker which helps in killing Rotom-w, Dragonite, Mega Venasaur, Pokemon with sturdy etc. The couple thing that hold it back from being the S rank pokemon is not reliable physical ice type move and earthquake. Without those that big physical attack stat only has 2 amazing moves being outrage and fusion bolt(freeze shock sucks since its a charging move). In conclusion Kyurem-B is a good choice user of a good mixed attacker that is suited for every ice team (without Kyurem-W in picture ofc). Overall Kyurem-B needs to rely on e power and Ice Beam for much needed coverage. Kyurem-B is a good pokemon with decent bulk but it needs the good physical ice move which holds it back from being an S Tier pokemon (or an Uber in general).
You should add AV kyurem-b. 252 HP, 252 SpD. 4 SpA. Stone Edge, Fusion Bolt, Ice Beam, Earth Power(check with toxin just in case, the set is kinda fuzzy in my memory). Its one of ice's main counters to mega zard y.

Torterra (Ground) for C!

252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer
As someone who has had a bit of experience with Torterra, I think you're missing out on two of it's best sets. These being the defensive and rock polish sets.

Torterra @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb/Earthquake
- Synthesis

This set is great pivot into special attackers, particularly grass typed ones, and offers some differentiation from Hippo and Gastro. Namely, it's typing. Grass allows it to check things that Hippowdon wouldn't, such as Keldeo, Rotom-W/S, and Virizion. Even with the typing, you have to be sure you wouldn't be better off with Hippowdon. They do very similar things, aside from Leech seed and Grass STAB. Running things such as your phasing move or Stealth Rock on Torterra can help free up some room on Hippowdon though.

Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Superpower

This is a little unorthodox, but it utilises Torterra's unique typing as a way of dealing with monotypes like Water. With it's natural bulk, getting off a rock polish can be quite easy, especially if you come in on something like Swampert, Lanturn or Tentacruel. Even Gyarados can't stop it. After a rock polish, Torterra outspeeds all unboosted water types, dealing massive damage with a STAB Wood Hammer. The only real counter to this on a water mono is physically defensive sap sipper Azumarill, which is rather rare. Again though, you have to have massive problems with water monotypes to warrant using this over a more consistent team member.

Agreeing with C rank.

Krookodile (Ground) for A or B rank

Choice Scarf Moxie sweeper

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Choice Band Pursuit trapper

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate / Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Pursuit

What it does: Krookodile functions very well as a physical sweeper, having a large attack stat of 117 and a decent speed stat of 92, as well as rather decent bulk. With 2 very good STAB in the form of the Ground and Dark type, Krookodile can deal a lot of damage with Earthquake and Knock Off. Furthermore, it has very good coverage, with Superpower taking down other Dark types, a few steel types that have a secondary typing to resist ground (such as Ferrothorn) or to strike an Air Balloon, as well as Ice types that would pose a big threat to Krookodile. Stone Edge can take care of things like Charizard, if it is switched into Krookodile into an expected Earthquake. And as if that wasn't enough, the Moxie ability gives it an attack boost every time it knocks out a Pokemon, which makes it an excellent late-game sweeper. With the Choice Scarf, Krookodile is capable of outspeeding the opponent and hitting hard with one of its moves, which, given that the opponent has been weakened, lands a KO. Or, if you're focused on pure, concentrated damage without the setting-up of Moxie, then the Choice Band set works very well too, and breaks walls very well thanks to Knock Off. Furthermore, it can pursuit-trap some Pokemon that wouldn't like to be out against Krookodile, such as Slowbro and Jirachi. Intimidate is a good ability for it when you want an easy switch, but Moxie works better if you intend to stay in afterwards.

What counters it: Unfortunately, Skarmory comes in on Krookodile fairly easily, and even if its item is knocked off, Krookodile still won't KO it. Furthermore, if Gliscor is already poisoned, it'll have no problem walling Krookodile. Also, it is checked by pretty much any fighting type or water type if it is switched in freely.

Final comments: You can run other items or sets on Krookodile, but i've found these to be the best.

Okay weird I can't go to the bottom if the post...weird.

Also I had thought bout adding rock polish set but was debating on it as haven't gotten to use it in a long while (broken leg has sorta kept me off of showdown and my league for a bit) so wasn't sure if it still was abuse able as it was (even if it was so damn abusable in gen 5. God in loved that yache rock polish set). And as I had stated the sub set I hadn't abused enough before (as stated hadn't fit my play style really) but I'll add it since I've gotten requests for it.

Also howdy Zewwok, nice to see ya again bud.

As someone who has had a bit of experience with Torterra, I think you're missing out on two of it's best sets. These being the defensive and rock polish sets.

Torterra @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb/Earthquake
- Synthesis

Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Superpower

Agreeing with C rank.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just curious, are you going to write Polited / Gyarados / Mega Gyarados? It's past the 5 day limit so if someone wants it they can take it unless if you want an extension. Also, nice Mew post :) Omega for Novelist

Can you please change the Spd to Spe? The correct way of writing an importable for a set is this: EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe. The order is always this: HP, Atk, Def, SpA, SpD, Spe. If you make these changes, I'll quote your post. Otherwise, someone else will be able to reserve and take Medicham. Thanks ^^

Are you still going to write Celebi / Victini? If you want an extension just tell me ^^

Are you still going to write Charizard? If you want an extension just tell me ^^

Are you still doing Mega Gyarados for Flying? If you want an extension just tell me ^^

Also truedrew are you going to finish Porygon2 or do you want an extension? ^^

Are you going to finish Hydreigon or do you want an extention? ^^
Almost done writing up Victini. I'll get on Celebi right after that. School has been pretty busy for me so I haven't had a chance to work on this much.

I guess I'll kick things off.

I think Avalugg should be S rank because it has many niches. It can be a Rapid Spinner, Toxic staller, or even a Curser. Also, unlike Empoleon, Donphan, and some others, Avalugg gets reliable recovery so it can come in and heal off any Stealth Rock damage. Not only that, Avalugg has better defenses than Giratina, the bulkiest Pokemon the game.

Reserved for Pokemon that can easily play a role against a majority of type matchups with ease, meaning it will never be useless in any matchup. These Pokemon need little to no support (which can be easily given) for them to do their job (Both Offensive and Defensive). They are easy to bring in and out, and often with little to no risk (Mostly Defensive). They can fulfill a ton of roles depending on what you need.

Avalugg meets the conditions for all of these things. It walls non SE physical hits better than Skarmory, it only needs Special Attack support (which can be given from Rotom, Wallrein etc) in order to function at its best. It's pretty easy to bring in and out:

252 Atk Choice Band Slaking Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 135-159 (34.3 - 40.4%) -- 42.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery < RIP

and it can fulfill a ton of roles (listed above)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)