Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Already given a ton of reasoning for why i think Mega Garchomp and standard should be switched, with Mega going to A Rank and the standard forme going to B, if you haven't seen it yet, see this post.

I would also support Avalugg for S Rank due to the support it gives Ice monotype teams in general, not only with how good it is at walling physical sweepers, even some with supereffective STAB moves (ie Excadrill if Avalugg carries Earthquake) but the support it provides with Rapid Spin, allowing your Kyurem forme or Rotom-F to switch in and out of battle without incurring heavy recoil damage from Stealth Rock while keeping your own Stealth Rock up. To be able to fulfill both of these roles in one teamslot is remarkable, and it makes Avalugg very easy to put on a team, and significantly eases teambuilding too.

Finally can we agree Anttyaz new avatar is cool asf. That is all.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Victini (Psychic) for S rank

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt/Trick/Glaciate

If Mew, which can take on many different roles, is the defensive centerpiece of a psychic team, Victini is the offensive counterpart. Victini sports the same base 100 stats as Mew, but has a much more powerful attacking move pool, making it a threat without the need for boosting moves such as Swords Dance or Nasty Plot. As such, scarfed versions are routinely utilized on psychic teams, often with a physical set that includes the insanely powerful, 180 BP, V-create. However, a broad, powerful special move pool makes a special set viable as well. One may argue the special variant is more effective in the current monotype meta (with Genesect) because it does not suffer from the stat drops V-Create induces. In addition to scarfed sets, Victini can run a banded/LO wall-breaking set. As a point of reference, banded Dragonite's Outrage does not hit as hard as banded Victini's V-Create, while LO V-Create is just barely weaker. To accompany the powerful attacking moves, it also has access to U-Turn to ease prediction and scout opposing teams switch-ins, Trick to cripple opposing stall 'mons, and an excellent ability in Victory Star, which increases the accuracy of it's attacks by 10%. Further bolstering it's versatility, Victini makes an excellent Assault Vest user with powerful moves and respectable attacking stats. Victini also contributes to the defensive synergy of a Psychic team with the dual Fire/Psychic typing, which makes it neutral to bug-type attacks. I know we are not supposed to include the unbans in our viability posts, but a psychic team without Victini is just murdered by Genesect and its buggy brethren.

Victini makes the cut for S rank because of its versatility and general usefulness on a psychic team. It is just too easy to pivot into Victini, spam a V-create, then switch into the appropriate check/counter after the stat drops. However, this repeated switching highlights Victini's major weakness: Stealth Rock. Luckily, Psychic teams have access to some of the most viable defoggers in the meta to provide the hazard control Victini needs to thrive (the Lati twins pair very nicely and can take ground/water attacks aimed at Victini).

Finally, I would like to make this ranking contingent upon Genesect remaining in Monotype for Bug teams. Scarfed Victini is the premier check/counter to the fearsome metallic bug for a Psychic team. Without the threat of Genesect, Victini is A rank. Simple as that.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Blue Flare
- Thunderbolt/Thunder
- Focus Blast/Energy Ball/Dazzling Gleam/Psyshock/Shadow Ball
- U-turn/Trick

Blue Flare is a must, but chose the last 3 moves to suit your team/play style
Victini @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt/Trick/Glaciate
Victini @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Blue Flare
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Dazzling Gleam/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball

Last edited:
Skarmory S Rank (Steel)
Skarmory @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes/Stealth Rocks/Toxic/ Taunt/ Defog
- Whirlwind

General Info
Skarmory is one of most needed pokes on steel with 140 defensives reliable recovery and access to stealth rocks (best move in game) and spikes. Skarmory overall helps steel with its ground weakness by being immune to all ground type attacks (with no gravity up). It also takes on physical fighting types pretty well with its good base 140 defense. Skarmory also has brave bird which is a good and powerful stab move on Skarmory that is very useful against fighting types. The other moves like defog makes Skarmory useful for getting rid of hazard if you want it to do that. Also having toxic to wear physical walls down. Whrillwind is good for phazing out set up sweepers. Taunt is good on a lead Skarmory. The two viable items are rocky helemet to rack up more damage if you are hit with a physical hit or Leftovers which is used to gain a little bit of hp per turn.
Other options/Ability and Why S Tier
Skarmory really does the job it does too well to run much other sets but ev spread can be changed to specially defensive. One option which is not viable is offensive Skarmory but it still an option to use. One very interesting move on is counter with its high defense it can take advantage of that. The reason why it is S tier because Skarmory is very important part of immune core steel has Skarmory, Heatran, and Doublade (Aegliash at first). Skarmory never fails tp get the job done because of the ability the useful ability of sturdy which lets it endure any hit at full health. Overall Skarmory's ability to wall almost the whole physical meta has it S Rank for Steel as well as flying. Also like flying steel has Pokemon that can take Skarmory's weakness with no problem with Pokemon like Ferrothorn Heatran and Excadrilll etc. Skarmory is too vital for steel to even be considered to do anything but S tier because it is part of an important immunity core that steel has, so pretty much Skarmory is best Pokemon to take on ground teams and supports its teammates on steel and also gets support from its teammates. Steel without Skarmory is like flying with out defog and fire and ice without rapid spin. In conclusion the ground immunity the neutrality to fighting gives Skarmory the S rank for steel like it did for flying. Also I did because Skarmory did not have a Link :)

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Anttyaz said:
Just curious, are you going to write Polited / Gyarados / Mega Gyarados? It's past the 5 day limit so if someone wants it they can take it unless if you want an extension. Also, nice Mew post :) Omega for Novelist
Whatever I don't get around to finishing tonight, I'd like an extension on. I'm doing my best, college has me busy, then when I log on I'm used to watching chat, haha.

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Surskit God Rank (Water)

Surskit @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Speed

Moves:
- Sticky Web
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance/Giga Drain/Signal Beam

General speed support backed by Sticky Web can benefit mons like Gyarados and it's Mega that might go for the Attack boosting nature rather than a speed boosting one. In the last slot, since you do have a Sash, Rain Dance is an option, although this will most likely be used should it be Surskit's last time out on the field, or if you're running Swift Swim mons in addition to Surskit, although something else will set the rain better itself. After all, Surskit is a God, it should be destroying things, not setting them up.

Giga Drain can offer useful coverage against the likes of Gastrodon if Ludicolo is not on your team, and Signal Beam offers useful STAB against Grass monos.

Surskit @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature

Moves:
- Signal Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

On this Specs set, we want to get our MonoGod some Dual STAB going for sure. Signal Beam is useful STAB coverage against grass, and Giga Drain is to help again the likes of Water Absorb mons or Storm Drainers like Gastrodon.

Additional Notes:

The Monotype God will certainly smile upon you should you use it (and you definitely should). Surskit is a terror, especially when backed by rain. Shouts out to Politoed for keeping the battlefield wet since Gen 5 DW was introduced, our little water strider appreciates it.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Week 1:

The first week of debate will be 5 days long so we'll have plenty of time to get used to it.

This will end on Thursday September 26th 2014

Things to think about while ranking:
-Does this Pokemon need to stay, move up, or down?
-How does this Pokemon fare in the metagame?
-What is this Pokemon walled by? Can your teammates successfully check / counter it?
-What is this Pokemon's role. Is it outclassed by other Pokemon? Is this role useful for its type?
-Is its ability beneficial? Do other Pokemon outclass it?

This Week's Pokemon!

(Ground) Garchomp (Currently A Rank) Original Post

^ S Rank:​
None​

= A Rank:​
None​

v B Rank: 1​

(Ground) Mega-Garchomp (Currently B Rank) Original Post

^ A/S Rank: 1​
DM35

= B Rank: 0​
None

v C Rank: 0​
None

(Ice) Avalugg (Currently A Tier) Original Post

^ S Rank: 2​

= A Rank: 0​
None

v B Rank: 0​
None

I can somewhat agree with Anttyaz and DM35 with Avalugg going to S rank because it a reliable user of rapid spin and also makes a good physically defensive wall. I can also see it being placed in A rank, however, and would rather it being placed in A rank, due to its absolutely terrible special defense of 46 , meaning that it cannot function effectively as a wall because it is so piss poor weak on one side of the spectrum. Even when compared to other physically defensive walls that seem weak on their special defense, they are not nearly in the same realm as Avalugg. Skarmory and Torkoal have a usable 70 SpD, Slowbro has 80 SpD, and so on. To put this into perspective,

0 SpA Gyarados Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg: 192-228 (48.8 - 58%) -- 57.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yikes. That's nearly the same as Lucario (no HP evs):
0 SpA Gyarados Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lucario: 140-166 (49.8 - 59%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Even something with a special attack stat as low as 60 like Gyarados can easily melt Avalugg (pun intended) even un-invested by targeting its nonexistent special bulk.
You may argue that you can just switch to a Specially Defensive wall, but ice being weak to hazards does not make it so easy to swap between walls, especially when one of the best ones (Articuno) is 4x weak to stealth rock.

Avalugg is also unlike Torkoal in the fire situation because there is another viable rapid spinner named Cryogonal who has very high special defense but piss poor physical defense, but can also fill a role as a wall like Avalugg with access to recover, and can even be a screen setter due to its sky high speed. There is also a third viable rapid spinner in Cloyster that has access to many entry hazards (toxic spikes, spikes) and can also maintain offensive presence, all with nearly the same defense as Avalugg and better typing, however no reliable recovery. As for walls, there can be many effective walls on Ice such as Walrein with very balanced defensive stats and a high HP stat, and Glaceon with also nicely rounded stats and access to wish, along with Articuno and its access to heal bell.

Avalugg is fine at A Rank.

--------------

Now for Garchomp, while I agree with DM35's point that Garchomp does not deserve S rank because it does not particularly stand out, Garchomp certainly cannot go below A Rank. Scarfed Garchomp, which is the most common set of normal Garchomp, still does what it does best: late game sweeping, revenge killing, and cleaning. With a scarf equipped, Garchomp can easily outspeed other scarfed users and users of dragon dance. You may say, "but I have Excadrill to do all that!", and while this is true somewhat, Excadrill is mainly used as a mid/early game sweeper and is easily worn down as it usually has a Life Orb, not to mention the fact that Sandstorm is not as reliable, even with 8 turns, as Hippowdon can be taken down fairly easily with a special move. These two pokemon also work well together as they share nearly the same checks and counters, and they will wear down threatening Pokemon for each other. Scarfed Garchomp can also use fire blast like Mega Garchomp, and while it is not as strong, it will still get rid of ground's biggest threat of Skarmory, which is mainly the point of fire blast anyway. Garchomp can also use many other sets including a Swords Dance set with Substitute under Sand Veil which can be quite annoying if pulled off correctly. Regular Garchomp (Ground) is fine at A Rank.

Mega Garchomp has a different role than Garchomp,mixed wallbreaking, which ground very much appreciates because of its susceptibility of getting walled by physically defensive Pokemon like Slowbro, Quagsire, and Skarmory whom can be taken out by a combination of fire blast, draco meteor, and sand - force boosted earthquake.
Move up Mega Garchomp (Ground) to A Rank.

I do have some opinions on Garchomp (Dragon) most certainly not being S - Rank viable, but I will post my feelings on this later.

Last edited:

scpinion

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Week 1:

The first week of debate will be 5 days long so we'll have plenty of time to get used to it.

-What is this Pokemon walled by? Can your teammates successfully check / counter it?
-What is this Pokemon's role. Is it outclassed by other Pokemon? Is this role useful for its type?

This Week's Pokemon!

None​

None​

DM35

None

None

None

None

A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have S rank qualities, but need support (which can be easily given) in order for them to be successful. Defensive Pokemon of this tier can fulfill its role really well most of the time. They may get moves / abilities that are rare in their Type and they're still decent Pokemon overall. These Pokemon can play a role against most type matchups, but they may be hard walled by 1-2 types. However, these Pokemon are mostly used for one or two of their sets meaning that they can be predictable. These Pokemon influence the metagame.

Avalugg

For me, Avalugg is right at home in A rank. It is a physical wall w/ access to rapid spin and it runs that set beautifully. However, you will be hard pressed to find another viable set for it (maybe curse+gyro or toxic stall?). While it has become the go to spinner for ice teams, the type has other viable options, unlike Fire and Torkoal. Cryogonal is a fast, specially bulky option w/ reliable recovery; Cloyster trades the supreme physical bulk and reliable recovery for the ability to set hazards itself; Articuno can function as a cleric w/ defog, but has a 4x weakness to SR; Delibird is just awesome in general. Avalugg has a terrible ability, sturdy, given its role of coming in and clearing hazards. Ice also has access to other physically bulky 'mons. For instance, wish passing w/ Glaceon can help alleviate the damage from SR if you cannot immediately switch into your spinner.

In short, despite Avalugg being on almost every ice team, it does not have the versatility nor "uniqueness" to sport an S rank. Yes, it is the best at what it does within its type and it is super easy to slap onto a team, but that is not enough in my book.

edit: didn't refresh the page before I posted this morning... AFD definitely sniped most of what said in his post

Garchomp

Don't have time to write this up right now, so I'll edit this post later. I'm going to be suggesting both for A rank on ground though.

Last edited:

truedrew

Banned deucer.
Week 1:

This Week's Pokemon!

None​

None​

DM35

None

None

None

None

Previous Weekly Pokemon
(Fire) Charizard Y (Currently S Tier) Original Post

= S Rank: 5​

v A Rank: 1​

(Fairy) Clefable (Currently A Tier) Original Post

^ S Rank: 6​

Other Pokemon that are being debated

For this to be implemented, all sides in the argument have to agree on one tier (Or a 6:1 Ratio). I won't focus on this too much, but feel free to post your thoughts.

[Name] - Indicates supporting people
(Finished) / (Ongoing) / (Standstill) - Current State
~ Name - Abstain, but still posted thoughts
Possible Solution: - One side will agree on this, but the other hasn't responded

If there's a standstill then the Monotype reviewers will decide based on the options available
Slaking - A Rank -> C Rank (Finished)
Mega-Manectric - S Rank -> A Rank (Finished) A Rank [Acast] -> B Rank
Slurpuff - B Rank -> D Rank (Ongoing)
Tangrowth - B Rank -> C Rank (Ongoing)
Sableye (Ghost) - A Rank -> B Rank (Ongoing)
Ferrothorn (Grass) - S Rank -> A Rank (Ongoing)
Swadloon (Grass) - E Rank -> Unlisted (Ongoing)
Miltank - B Rank -> C Rank (Ongoing)
Suicune - A Rank -> B Rank (Ongoing)
Thundurus-I (Flying) - S Rank [2nd Post, 3rd Post] -> A Rank [Sae, All Falls Down, 2nd Post, 3rd Post] (Standstill / Finished, needs confirmation)
Landorus-T (Flying) - A Rank -> S Rank [Anttyaz] (Finished)
Malamar (Psychic / Dark) - E Rank [2nd Post] -> C Rank [2nd Post] / D Rank (Ongoing)
Mega-Pinsir - A Rank -> S Rank (Ongoing)
Scrafty (Fighting) - A Rank -> B Rank (Ongoing)
Cinccino - A Rank -> B Rank (Ongoing)
Fletchinder (Fire) - C Rank -> D Rank (Ongoing)
Mamoswine (Ice) - A Rank [2nd Post] -> S Rank [QueenOfHax] (Ongoing)
Garchomp (Ground) - S Rank -> B Rank (Ongoing)
Mega-Garchomp (Ground) - B Rank -> A Rank (Ongoing)
Galvantula (Electric) - D Rank [Second Post] -> C Rank (Ongoing)
Rhyperior (Ground) - D Rank -> C Rank (Ongoing)
Weezing - A Rank [2nd Post, Anttyaz] -> C Rank / B Rank [Dream Eater Gengar] (Ongoing)
Wobbafett - D Rank [BetaHousing] -> C Rank (Ongoing)
Gourgiest-Super (Ghost) - B Rank [2nd Post] -> D Rank ~ Sae (Ongoing) Possible Solution: C Rank
Will comment tomorrow but i would like to pointout that thursday is the 25th and friday is the 26th so maybe change??

I'm not an avid user of mega chomp (and am responsible for the original rankings) but upon reflection, I noticed that it is actually the 2nd best anti fairy pokemon dragons teams have after Kyurem-B. Both teams have a wide supply of wall breakers, but it is one of the only mix attackers for ground; dragon team either have enough, or due to sheer force of their stabs, only need off attacks and pokemon to counter specific defensive threats (hetran, tyranitar, opposing dragons) before they can continue on their own rampage.

On the other hand< I still feel like the standard Chomp (especially as scarfer) gives both teams a helluva more support, as sniping things like keldeo and opposing dragons is huge, especially when in ground's case bringing out super wall (hippo) kills your team's offensive pressure, and in dragon's case, will probbably require death fodder. I've updated the post "garchomp mega" leads to so that it reflects bulky mega chomp, as well.

I feel like normal garchomp is pretty easily an A pokemon for ground teams, and is a more secure option for scarf dragons, as it's scarf set outspeeds salemance at +1 that flying teams might carry Checks both megazards, which will either damage or possibly try to unleash their bulky wisp sets on your teamates, absorbs thunder wave status (not unique as mega does it as well), and can tank a medium hit if it your team needs something dead(not as large a hit as mega of course) It's also considerably less pursuit weak than any other scarf dragon.

I'll say Garchomp (ground A), (dragon S) and Mega Garchomp (Ground A), (Dragon A).

Swampert(water) for A rank.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP 252 DEF 4 ATK/4SPATK
Impish/Bold nature
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake/Earth Power/Protect
-Waterfall/Scald/Protect/Roar
-Roar/Toxic/Yawn

Swampert is a great pokemon with great stats and great utility movepool, although it doesnt have any reliable recovery. This set rolls around stealth rock with 3 filler moves tbh. If you decide to go special use 4 SPATK EVs and Bold nature, scald + stealth rock + toxic + filler is my personal preference for moves,but you can vary different sets between the moves in the set.If you decide to use physical, run 4 ATK EVs and impish nature, stealth rock + earthquake + waterfall/Protect + Roar/Toxic/Yawn is the way to go. Yawn is a really useful move because it can force the switch and allow you to setup stealth rock while the opponent wastes a turn switching, after that, you can yawn spam, forcing lots of switches and causing damage with stealth rock, or putting something to sleep. While the opponent is asleep you can also roar predicting a switch and getting even more residual damage. If you dont run any of the 2 moves above, protect + toxic can be used to toxic stall or waterfall + toxic to dual residual damage and hit flying types such as gliscor or aerodactyl.

Swampert @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP 252 ATK 4 SPDEF
Adamant nature
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Stone Edge/Superpower

Utilising its great attack stat, Choice Band can work very efficiently with swampert, as it contains a good offensive movepool to cover alot of types such as flying,dragon,steel,dark,bug,etc.

Why should it be A rank? As i said before, it has great stats overall,not bad versatility,great movepool, and marvelous typing, having that handy electric immunity.Alot of people say swampert is outclassed by quagsire, but it functions diferently and has better stats. While quagsire has recover,stockpile and unaware working as a staller, swampert has stealth rock,better bulk,better attak stat and a better offensive movepool. Swampert can be predictable, and thats what makes the last set shine. People usually expect a stealth rock set, but if you bring swampert in on the right mon with the band set, it can work wonders. What holds back swampert, is the fact that its slow and has a dreadful 4x grass weakness, being easily revenge killed by any pokemon carrying a grass type move. However, if you have the choice band set, and if you predict correctly,nothing can come in safely, and thats why i think it deserves A rank on mono water.

Last edited:

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?

Swampert @ Leftovers
Impish/Bold nature
-Stealth Rock
-Roar/Toxic/Yawn

Swampert is a great pokemon with great stats and great utility movepool, although it doesnt have any reliable recovery. This set rolls around stealth rock with 3 filler moves tbh. If you decide to go special use 4 SPATK EVs and Bold nature, scald + stealth rock + toxic + filler is my personal preference for moves,but you can vary different sets between the moves in the set.If you decide to use physical, run 4 ATK EVs and impish nature, stealth rock + earthquake + waterfall/Protect + Roar/Toxic/Yawn is the way to go. Yawn is a really useful move because it can force the switch and allow you to setup stealth rock while the opponent wastes a turn switching, after that, you can yawn spam, forcing lots of switches and causing damage with stealth rock, or putting something to sleep. While the opponent is asleep you can also roar predicting a switch and getting even more residual damage. If you dont run any of the 2 moves above, protect + toxic can be used to toxic stall or waterfall + toxic to dual residual damage and hit flying types such as gliscor or aerodactyl.

Swampert @ Choice Band
Adamant nature
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Stone Edge/Superpower

Utilising its great attack stat, Choice Band can work very efficiently with swampert, as it contains a good offensive movepool to cover alot of types such as flying,dragon,steel,dark,bug,etc.

Swampert @ Leftovers/Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP 252 SPDEF 4 ATK
Impish nature
-Rest
-Waterfall
-Curse
-Earthquake/Rain Dance

This is Swamperts most gimmick set, but if you have the right support it works efficiently and can late-game sweep after your opponents special attacker with a grass move is gone. Politoed really aids this set but it doesnt entirely depend on it, as running rain dance is a viable option and with swamperts bulk, its guaranteed that it will take any hit that isnt supereffective. I would go as far as saying that this is a physical crocune set, but for swampert, and not having to rely on sleep talk.

Why should it be A rank? As i said before, it has great stats overall,not bad versatility,great movepool, and marvelous typing, having that handy electric immunity.Alot of people say swampert is outclassed by quagsire, but it functions diferently and has better stats. While quagsire has recover,stockpile and unaware working as a staller, swampert has stealth rock,better bulk,better attak stat and a better offensive movepool. Swampert can be predictable, and thats what makes the last 2 sets shine. People usually expect a stealth rock set, but if you bring swampert in on the right mon with the hydration or the band set, it can work wonders, and if you get a curse up, it might start a sweep. What holds back swampert, is the fact that its slow and has a dreadful 4x grass weakness, being easily revenge killed by any pokemon carrying a grass type move. However, if you have the choice band set, and if you predict correctly,nothing can come in safely, and thats why i think it deserves A rank on mono water.
But Swampert doesn't get Hydration...
Yeah, you should double check posts of yours before you hit enter, in any situation. Especially in one where you use sets that can potentially be used by new-comers trying to make a team, and wondering why it isn't working. But It is a good post. While I would argue that it deserves only B rank, I think I may do that later, but not now. Also. Dank Rock is banned on water. So remove that from the items.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Impish/Bold nature
-Stealth Rock
-Roar/Toxic/Yawn

Swampert @ Choice Band
Adamant nature
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Stone Edge/Superpower

Swampert @ Leftovers/Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP 252 SPDEF 4 ATK
Impish nature
-Rest
-Waterfall
-Curse
-Earthquake/Rain Dance

This is Swamperts most gimmick set, but if you have the right support it works efficiently and can late-game sweep after your opponents special attacker with a grass move is gone. Politoed really aids this set but it doesnt entirely depend on it, as running rain dance is a viable option and with swamperts bulk, its guaranteed that it will take any hit that isnt supereffective. I would go as far as saying that this is a physical crocune set, but for swampert, and not having to rely on sleep talk.

Why should it be A rank? As i said before, it has great stats overall,not bad versatility,great movepool, and marvelous typing, having that handy electric immunity.Alot of people say swampert is outclassed by quagsire, but it functions diferently and has better stats. While quagsire has recover,stockpile and unaware working as a staller, swampert has stealth rock,better bulk,better attak stat and a better offensive movepool. Swampert can be predictable, and thats what makes the last 2 sets shine. People usually expect a stealth rock set, but if you bring swampert in on the right mon with the hydration or the band set, it can work wonders, and if you get a curse up, it might start a sweep. What holds back swampert, is the fact that its slow and has a dreadful 4x grass weakness, being easily revenge killed by any pokemon carrying a grass type move. However, if you have the choice band set, and if you predict correctly,nothing can come in safely, and thats why i think it deserves A rank on mono water.
Woo nice writeup, just change what needs to be changed (Hydration set) and start writing that Mareep up. ;)

Surskit God Rank (Water)

Surskit @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature

Moves:
- Sticky Web
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

General speed support backed by Sticky Web can benefit mons like Gyarados and it's Mega that might go for the Attack boosting nature rather than a speed boosting one. In the last slot, since you do have a Sash, Rain Dance is an option, although this will most likely be used should it be Surskit's last time out on the field, or if you're running Swift Swim mons in addition to Surskit, although something else will set the rain better itself. After all, Surskit is a God, it should be destroying things, not setting them up.

Giga Drain can offer useful coverage against the likes of Gastrodon if Ludicolo is not on your team, and Signal Beam offers useful STAB against Grass monos.

Surskit @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature

Moves:
- Signal Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

On this Specs set, we want to get our MonoGod some Dual STAB going for sure. Signal Beam is useful STAB coverage against grass, and Giga Drain is to help again the likes of Water Absorb mons or Storm Drainers like Gastrodon.

Additional Notes:

The Monotype God will certainly smile upon you should you use it (and you definitely should). Surskit is a terror, especially when backed by rain. Shouts out to Politoed for keeping the battlefield wet since Gen 5 DW was introduced, our little water strider appreciates it.
Omg that's awesome. You should totally include that replay of you sweeping with Surskit :) :) :) :)

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Surskit God Rank (Water)

Surskit @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature

Moves:
- Sticky Web
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Surskit @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature

Moves:
- Signal Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Additional Notes:

manu 11

Nominating Sandslash (Ground) for C rank

Sand Rush Sweeper

Sandslash @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Bulky Rocker and Rapid Spinner (Not recommended for Ground)

Sandslash @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

What it does: Sandslash is one of the few Pokemon that have sand rush. With a fine base 100 attack and access to Swords Dance, Sandslash can serve as a fine sweeper with its STAB Earthquake, Stone Edge to cover flying types and Knock Off to get rid of an opponent's item as well as dealing significant damage, which is useful against bulky ghosts such as Jellicent. However, having only a base speed stat of 65, Sandslash reaches a speed stat of 458 without a speed boosting nature and 502 with a speed boosting nature. This means that Sandslash gets outsped by Scarf Greninja, Latios, and many other OU scarfers. There's really no reason why you'd choose Sandslash over the far superior Excadrill, which has both higher attack and speed. Quite frankly, you should only use this if you want 2 sand rush sweepers on your ground team, although that's not something you should do, as you would heavily rely on keeping Hippowdon alive to set up sand, which may not be easy at a certain point in any battle. Really, you should just stick to using Excadrill. However, if you want something slightly bulkier, or just want to be a "cool" ground user who doesn't use all the common stuff, go with Sandslash.

The bulky Sandslash set is entirely outclassed by Donphan. In fact, any possible role Sandslash can play, either Donphan or Excadrill can play better.
Because of this, Sandslash should stay Unranked.

scpinion

Celebi (Psychic) for Rank B

While it has nothing to do with viability in the monotype meta, Celebi is one of my favorite pokemon! I think the design is awesome and there is a special place in my heart for many of the gen II 'mons since I played those games on my GBC as I was growing up (back when that was the cool, new technology). :D

From a competitive standpoint, Celebi has many things going for it as well. Base 100 stats allow it to assume multiple roles depending upon one's choice of EVs. It also has a diverse move pool to pair with the versatile base stats, which includes access to reliable recovery (see below for some suggested sets). Natural Cure, Celebi's ability, can always be put to use for absorbing status, especially on a Psychic mono where many of it's team mates are severely crippled by toxic/burn. However, despite all it's awesomeness, Celebi just doesn't make the cut when held up against some other choices for the roles it can fill. A major reason for this is the dual Grass/Psychic typing that carries a 4x weakness to Bug attacks, but provides no resistances/immunities to common attacks aimed at Psychic teams. Although, the Grass typing does allow it to complete the oft-lauded Fire-Water-Grass core with Slowbro and Victini. In short, Celebi has S rank versatility, but it's effectiveness across all type match ups, crippling type pairing, and inability to serve as the premier psychic 'mon in any of it's possible roles restrict Celebi to a humble B rank.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain/Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Earth Power/Dazzling Gleam/Shadow Ball
- Recover/Nasty Plot/U-Turn/Earth Power/Dazzling Gleam/Shadow Ball/Stealth Rock
Celebi @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- U-Turn
- Sucker Punch/Zen Headbutt
- Recover/Swords Dance/Sucker Punch/Zen Headbutt/Aerial Ace/Stealth Rock
Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heal Bell
- Recover/Leech Seed
- Toxic/Thunder Wave/Perish Song
- U-turn
Celebi @ Leftovers/Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Healing Wish/U-turn
- Toxic/Thunder Wave/Perish Song
- Reflect/Stealth Rocks/Protect
- Light Screen/Recover/Leech Seed

Just choose the utility moves that best support your team/play style.
Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe or 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid/Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Nasty Plot/Swords Dance
- Giga Drain/Seed Bomb
- Recover

Last edited:

scpinion

Looks like we're missing Azumarill for water. Reserving this post for it.

Also, a friendly request: Will you please do my username in all lower case for future links. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)