Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MELOETTA (NORMAL) ->A RANK

First of all, take a look at scpinion's post on Meloetta(Psychic) as much of what I say here will just echo what he said.

Meloetta @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball / Trick
Meloetta @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe (can also go max HP max Spe or max HP max Def)
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Meloetta's main role on Normal teams is a hard-hitting Special attacker. Normal teams lack many special attackers, and thus will often find themselves being walled by Pokemon like Skarmory. Meloetta sports a very high Special Attack stat, and also has a useful sound-based stab in Hyper Voice that will hit through substitutes (Blissey/Chansey are often setup fodder). Meloetta does good with items like Choice Specs that can increase its damage output to compliment its wall-breaking ability. Meloetta can also run a substitute calm mind set, that can find many opportunities to set up with paralysis support from Chansey/Blissey and Porygon2.

Meloetta also has a unique typing in Psychic / Normal that provides a neat neutrality to fighting - type moves, however Meloetta's physical bulk is lacking and will generally not appreciate taking physical moves.
As i have said before, a meloetta pirouette set is also viable, even more in normal mono, as it helps take care of steel and rock types, it even has knock off to deal with ghosts, and paired up with its amazing speed and attack stat, it outspeeds greninja and ohkoes it,terrakion (without scarf), bisharp,etc. It needs abit of help from smeargle as with stealth rock it can ohko a bunch of things and with sticky web it can outspeed anything that is affected by it.
Maybe something like this:
Meloetta @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat/Drain Punch
- Quick Attack/Return
- Knock Off/Zen Headbutt
- Relic Song

Almost a cp from the set i gave to scp,but as this is normal mono,the moves changed abit. I agree with you though about it being A rank as it cant take many hits and needs some support to output ohkoes,but it 2ohkoes the majority of the pokemon that take neutral damage from it.It still offers amazing coverage against monotype teams that normal despises.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
As i have said before, a meloetta pirouette set is also viable, even more in normal mono, as it helps take care of steel and rock types, it even has knock off to deal with ghosts, and paired up with its amazing speed and attack stat, it outspeeds greninja and ohkoes it,terrakion (without scarf), bisharp,etc. It needs abit of help from smeargle as with stealth rock it can ohko a bunch of things and with sticky web it can outspeed anything that is affected by it.
Maybe something like this:
Meloetta @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat/Drain Punch
- Quick Attack/Return
- Knock Off/Zen Headbutt
- Relic Song

Almost a cp from the set i gave to scp,but as this is normal mono,the moves changed abit. I agree with you though about it being A rank as it cant take many hits and needs some support to output ohkoes,but it 2ohkoes the majority of the pokemon that take neutral damage from it.It still offers amazing coverage against monotype teams that normal despises.

The main niche for Meloetta in normal monotypes is its special attack. Normal already has a plethora of physical attackers, and adding one more Pokemon that is walled by Skarmory doesn't really help it, not to mention one that needs to use a weak, inconsistent move to make it viable as a physical attacker. Meloetta in base form has 77 attack, meaning that it HAS to use relic song to even hope to dish out any damage.

Meloetta-p just doesn't stand out for normal monotypes, if anything I would be willing to add a mixed set to muscle through walls.
I'll hold out on changing my post until further discussion, thoughts?

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
GRENINJA (DARK) -> S-RANK

All right guys. I don't see how anyone could possibly deny this being S-Rank because if were thinking about viability and usage, well Greninja is literally on every single Dark team. Like damn, it addresses so many types such as flying, ground, etc. It's Protean allows it to change it's type to whatever move it's using, which is a pretty crazy ability that grants you STAB on any move. Protean, along with a pretty good base Special Attack is pretty devastating. Ninja counters a lot of threats and just has amazing coverage which is perfect on a Dark team, but don't forget the main reason this thing is op, it got that n**** speed with one of the highest OU base speeds.
greninja.gif

Froggy Fresh (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory
- Shadow Sneak/Dark Pulse/ Grass Knot

You know what that means? R.I.P. Mach Punch. For Dark teams, you can send this in on a Breloom or some other Fighting mon with Mach Punch that usually kills and go for a Shadow Sneak, changing your typing to Ghost, and rendering Fighting Moves ineffective. Then you can just slap their face with an Extrasensory and that should do good work. This would be the main Greninja set if you wish to have an advantage over Fighting types. Another moveset that works with Greninja is just all out offensive Special-Attacking moves.

Last edited:
The main niche for Meloetta in normal monotypes is its special attack. Normal already has a plethora of physical attackers, and adding one more Pokemon that is walled by Skarmory doesn't really help it, not to mention one that needs to use a weak, inconsistent move to make it viable as a physical attacker. Meloetta in base form has 77 attack, meaning that it HAS to use relic song to even hope to dish out any damage.

Meloetta-p just doesn't stand out for normal monotypes, if anything I would be willing to add a mixed set to muscle through walls.
I'll hold out on changing my post until further discussion, thoughts?
Sure, but it is certainly a viable set, as for special attackers to deal with skarmory,you have the porygons, heliolisk and pyroar, which may not sound very viable but helps with steel types.

DoW

formally Death on Wings

NOIVERN (DRAGON) -> C RANK

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash
- Switcheroo
- Flamethrower

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Roost

Noivern is very fast, and happens to be the fastest Dragon-type Pokemon in the game. Unfortunately, it is held back on Dragon teams due to crippling flaws.

One of these flaws is its typing. When teambuilding a Mono - Dragon team, one of the most important things to watch out for is the ice-type weakness. It is very easy to have a team of 3-4 Pokemon that are 4x weak to ice-typed moves, which puts a gaping hole in the team's core. Other Pokemon 4x weak to hold niches, like Dragonite, Garchomp, and Salamence.

Noivern is very weak. Noivern's base special attack is a mere 97, which means that even with a hard hitting move like Draco Meteor and a damage - boosting item, it will find itself stopped short by dedicated walls and fairies that are immune to Draco Meteor and will take little damage from a weak Air Slash.

Noivern is outclassed by Latios and Latias. It is slightly faster than Latios/Latias in enchange for a greatly reduced special attack stat. Latios/Latias also has a reliable, hard hitting STAB that allows them to clean teams easier in Psyshock. Noivern's most reliable stab is Air slash, which has a chance to miss and is very weak, making it more difficult to be a late game cleaner and thus serves as a hit-and-run attacker with Draco Meteor, being again outclassed by Latios/Latias, which have better bulk and better typing, access to Defog, reliable STABs, more coverage, and a sky high special attack stat.

Noivern's speed, however, does allow it to be a revenge killer and a late game sweeper/cleaner (altough admittedly overshadowed by Latios and Latias) Noivern for C rank
Hmm... while normally it's a terrible set that should never be used, scarf noivern should be mentionned for its ability to help beat opposing dragon teams. Often dragon team games come down to whose scarf is the fastest, and with scarf noivern revenge killing scarf latios it can often win games even if only against one monotype. It's not a good set, but I think it deserves being mentioned like I said.

Breloom (Fighting) -> A-Rank
Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

Breloom gives fighting the ability to counter many pokemon that could easily sweep because of it's ability to revenge kill and shut down sweepers. While it does heavily rely on a sash and spore, it can be the turning point for teams that fail to set up hazards. Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir or powerful psychic types that can normally sweep fighting can be shut down or crippled by Breloom. Breloom can also take down water monos extremely easily with little help, and it gives fighting the ability to take out slowbro easily. By using rock tomb you can lower an opponent's speed. If this is done on a good prediction it may allow breloom to attack again. Mach punch gives it the ability to destroy frail dark types such as Greninja.

Last edited:
Hitmontop(Fighting)-->B-Rank

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Foresight/Toxic
- Sucker Punch/Stone Edge

Hitmontop is your best bet in hazard clearing if your using fighting monotype.With a great ability in intimidate backed up by respectable defense and special defense it can find quite a few opportunities to Rapid Spin.While its true fighting monotype is not particularly hazard weak,the presence of spikes,toxic spikes and most importantly sticky web will hinder a typing as offensive as fighting.Capable of tanking quite a few physical hits and foresight hitmontop can always guarantee a rapid spin.While its attack maybe mediocre,it's powerful close combat backed up by priority in sucker punch it can either 2HKO almost anything that is weak to it and also kill weakened Pokemon with priority.

However with out any reliable recovery it is prone to being worn down.And while it has a strong STAB in the form of close combat it is often unable to 2hko alot of Pokemon.KOed by strong special moves.

So in conclusion hitmontop has one role in fighting monotype that is Rapid Spin.

Last edited:

Nani Man

__what__ does nani mean
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Avalugg (A) -> (S)

In response with Avalugg being A rank at the moment, I strongly disagree and believe it is S rank. Avalugg is one of the few things on an ice team that can somewhat manage mono fighting, steel and rock teams. The arguments held against it by previous posters are completely valid statements and are true, however, as I said in one of my previous posts, you need to judge Avalugg against its respective type. In this case, Avalugg is being judged as an Ice type pokemon for Ice type teams. Let us take a run-through of what rapid spinners and defoggers are available for Ice:

Avalugg - Arguably best physical wall for Ice teams, essential for handling rock/fighting/steel and can switch in on a physical attacker most of the time to spin away hazards.

Bergmite - pre-evolution of Avalugg.

Cloyster - Best kept reserved as a Shell Smasher physical attacker. Would be unfortunate to waste its potential. However, even as a spinner it has limited use.

Cryogonal - Specially defensive wall. You could call this the special def version of Avalugg, though with one major difference. Cryogonal does not handle rock/steel/fighting moves well because they mostly come by physical attackers. This is the main factor as to why Avalugg is absolutely essential.

Delibird - Waste of a team slot and not appropriate.

Defoggers:

Articuno - Pretty good special defensive wall and can make for great synergy with Avalugg. However, having that 4x weakness to rock makes it hard to switch in and out and defog hazards away.

Summary of this is to say that Avalugg is the most appropriate and best hazard remover for Ice. It also is one of the best checks for those powerful rock/steel/fighting types. The only other pokemon that can assist with those weaknesses is Walrein. Walrein lacks recovery outside of Rest and is unable to spin away hazards as well as having lower physical bulk. All Walrein has over Avalugg is the neutrality to steel moves and better special defense but that isn't enough to outclass Avalugg if you were to choose between the two.

As mentioned by others, Avalugg's special defence is extremely low BUT can be easily covered with the likes of Articuno or Walrein both specially defensive. This provides great coverage for threats as Avalugg can spin the hazards away and make room for the specially defensive walls to come in undamaged. The beauty of this is Avalugg has Recover and can repeatedly do so.

Overall, Avalugg is one of the best (if not, the best) physical wall Ice has and most appropriate spinner to have as well. It can given support to cover its specially defensive weakness reasonably well and definitely deserves S rank.

I agree with Avalugg deserving S-rank for mono-Ice for the reasons Nani Man stated.

I'd also like to reiterate my support for Mamoswine deserving S-rank as well.
It just brings so much to the table to ignore... besides what I stated in my previous post (http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...heck-posts-3-375.3517737/page-11#post-5744957) I'd like to add that it's the only (besides its pre-evolutions) Ice type not weak to SR, the only Ice type with SR itself, it has the best dual STAB combination in the game, it's the strongest user of the coveted Ice Shard move and its ability Thick Fat is a godsend for mono-Ice.
While it faces some competition from its pre-evolution Piloswine, they ultimately play different roles, with Mamo being much more offensively-oriented. In fact I have seen several mono-ice users running both Mamoswine and Piloswine.

truedrew

Banned deucer.
GRENINJA (DARK) -> S-RANK

All right guys. I don't see how anyone could possibly deny this being S-Rank because if were thinking about viability and usage, well Greninja is literally on every single Dark team. Like damn, it addresses so many types such as flying, ground, etc. It's Protean allows it to change it's type to whatever move it's using, which is a pretty crazy ability that grants you STAB on any move. Protean, along with a pretty good base Special Attack is pretty devastating. Ninja counters a lot of threats and just has amazing coverage which is perfect on a Dark team, but don't forget the main reason this thing is op, it got that n**** speed with one of the highest OU base speeds.
View attachment 27172

Froggy Fresh (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory
- Shadow Sneak/Dark Pulse/ Grass Knot

You know what that means? R.I.P. Mach Punch. For Dark teams, you can send this in on a Breloom or some other Fighting mon with Mach Punch that usually kills and go for a Shadow Sneak, changing your typing to Ghost, and rendering Fighting Moves ineffective. Then you can just slap their face with an Extrasensory and that should do good work. This would be the main Greninja set if you wish to have an advantage over Fighting types. Another moveset that works with Greninja is just all out offensive Special-Attacking moves.
I believe that hidden power fire should be slashed there as it aids it immensly vs ferrothorn. Also ice beam deserves a mention as it allows it to anihalate dragon teams seeing as it outspeeds most common dragon team members and can 1shot dragonite with ice beam

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
I believe that hidden power fire should be slashed there as it aids it immensly vs ferrothorn. Also ice beam deserves a mention as it allows it to anihalate dragon teams seeing as it outspeeds most common dragon team members and can 1shot dragonite with ice beam
HP Fire isn't really common for Greninja because that is usually the role of Tyranitar or Hydreigon. As for the Ice Beam part, well, that's pretty obvious for any Greninja set.

lax

cloutimus maximus
RBTT Champion
ok since All Falls Down is lazy he's gonna make me do this. Nerd Alert
There needs to be some serious changes in this viability thing for real though. So many things should be demoted to lower ranks and so many things should be promoted. Here's a list devised by me and All Falls Down.

Crobat (Poison) S to B rank
- What is the use for Crobat, really. The one thing I think Crobat can do is knock out Fighting types but that is really it. Poison already destroys Grass types and Crobat really does not help at all VS. ground.
Cincinno (Normal) A - C rank - Let's be completely honest. Cincinno is garbage even with Life Orb or Choice Band. "Oh it has good coverage and skill link though!" The problem is it can't OHKO many of the threats normal faces and isn't useful VS. Steel or Fighting, normal's biggest threats.
Zapdods (Flying) A - S - Just gonna say this one quickly. What team doesn't have Zapdos, it's a decent wall and has Defog.
Slurpuff (Fairy) B - D - Looooooool it's so bad.
Slowbro (Psychic) A - S - Slowbro is the real MVP! It's literally on every single Psychic team and the main wall. It's good HP and base DEF stats make it a very good physical wall. Pretty much the only Psychic pokemon to carry out the DEF wall position.
Staraptor (Normal) A - S - Staraptor is so helpful for Normal against Fighting. Whether it's the Choice Scarf Variant or the BulkRaptor one, it still makes people that use Normal's lives much easier against fighting.

More will come from AFD the fnerd

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
ok since All Falls Down is lazy he's gonna make me do this. Nerd Alert
There needs to be some serious changes in this viability thing for real though. So many things should be demoted to lower ranks and so many things should be promoted. Here's a list devised by me and All Falls Down.
Crobat (Poison) S to B rank - What is the use for Crobat, really. The one thing I think Crobat can do is knock out Fighting types but that is really it. Poison already destroys Grass types and Crobat really does not help at all VS. ground.
Cincinno (Normal) A - C rank - Let's be completely honest. Cincinno is garbage even with Life Orb or Choice Band. "Oh it has good coverage and skill link though!" The problem is it can't OHKO many of the threats normal faces and isn't useful VS. Steel or Fighting, normal's biggest threats.
Zapdods (Flying) A - S - Just gonna say this one quickly. What team doesn't have Zapdos, it's a decent wall and has Defog.
Slurpuff (Fairy) B - D - Looooooool it's so bad.
Slowbro (Psychic) A - S - Slowbro is the real MVP! It's literally on every single Psychic team and the main wall. It's good HP and base DEF stats make it a very good physical wall. Pretty much the only Psychic pokemon to carry out the DEF wall position.
Staraptor (Normal) A - S - Staraptor is so helpful for Normal against Fighting. Whether it's the Choice Scarf Variant or the BulkRaptor one, it still makes people that use Normal's lives much easier against fighting.

More will come from AFD the fnerd
The ones I agree should be changed:
-Crobat to B rank
-Cincinno to C rank

The ones I think should stay where they are:
-Zapdos (just because it's a decent wall and has defog does not mean it defines the metagame. Skarmory, Mandibuzz, and Togekiss are better walls and they also have defog. In fact, almost all flying types have defog. Zapdos is easily A rank. The only thing that stands out about it is its typing, which is the main reason it is as high as A rank)

Indifferent:
-Staraptor
-Slowbro

I agree Slurpuff should be lowered, but D is too low. C is more appropriate.

Also, I think that you're under the impression that all of these ranks are final, but it has been stated that they aren't. Gradually we will get to debate the ones that people find questionable so that a more thorough analysis can be made. At the moment, the main focus of the project is just to roughly place each Pokemon in a rank that seems appropriate. Detail and accuracy for each ranking will come later.

lax

cloutimus maximus
RBTT Champion
The ones I agree should be changed:
-Crobat to B rank
-Cincinno to C rank

The ones I think should stay where they are:
-Zapdos (just because it's a decent wall and has defog does not mean it defines the metagame. Skarmory, Mandibuzz, and Togekiss are better walls and they also have defog. In fact, almost all flying types have defog. Zapdos is easily A rank. The only thing that stands out about it is its typing, which is the main reason it is as high as A rank)

Indifferent:
-Staraptor
-Slowbro

I agree Slurpuff should be lowered, but D is too low. C is more appropriate.

Also, I think that you're under the impression that all of these ranks are final, but it has been stated that they aren't. Gradually we will get to debate the ones that people find questionable so that a more thorough analysis can be made. At the moment, the main focus of the project is just to roughly place each Pokemon in a rank that seems appropriate. Detail and accuracy for each ranking will come later.
Zapdos is electric and all those other walls you mentioned don't seem to like taking t-bolts friend xD. I just wanted to make sure the viability ranking wasn't super off course.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Zapdos is electric and all those other walls you mentioned don't seem to like taking t-bolts friend xD. I just wanted to make sure the viability ranking wasn't super off course.
That's why either Landorus, Gliscor, or both are on practically every flying team.
And I understand what you mean. Some of the rankings so far are a bit questionable

That's why either Landorus, Gliscor, or both are on practically every flying team.
And I understand what you mean. Some of the rankings so far are a bit questionable

Yah cause at the moment we are more getting the stuff ranked and people are bun rushing their favorites on the rankings and they really being added without much thought. Its not really an entirely large issue as that's how most viability threads start about so it's fine.

Well, every viability ranking thread has questionable ranks at the start, thats because some pokemon don't get alot of attention to get debated, and thats why we have to suggest pokemon for the thread every once in a while, for some of the pokemon without attention to be ranked properly, i also agree with Zapdos staying A rank for flying monotype.

I guess Zapdos (Flying) is a obvious candidate for tomorrow's ranking changes. Zapdos (A Rank), along with Mega Pinsir (A Rank), and Staraptor (Normal and A rank) will be Week 3. Feel free to post stuff on both Week 2 and Week 3

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I nominate Mega Charizard-Y for flying (A rank)

Charizard-Y@ Charizardite
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpD
Timid Nature
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Solarbeam
-Focus Blast/Air Slash/ Dragon Pulse/Earthquake (Hasty Nature with a few Atk EVs then)
-Roost

Explanation: This thing is an absolute wallbreaker. With an immense base special attack of 159, it can rip through many bulky mons with it's sun-boosted flamethrower. Moreover, it can be used to have a weather war with ground, which otherwise had a good matchup against flying. Also, it can tank hits from Greninja, a bane of fly, and kill it or it's switch-in with solarbeam (EQ if opponent has a tentacruel). It is also neutral to ice, and with a decent SpD it can tank an ice beam from mons such as Nidoking (Which can easily destroy flying walls such as Zapdos and Togekiss), and kill it in return with a sun-boosted Flamethrower. Sun-boosted flamethrower hits anything hard, even though if it resists. Solarbeam decimates ground and water teams, and with drought, it can control weather which will nerf water types and the usage of Sand Rush Excadrill, which is a deadly threat to flying. With focus blast you can destroy Tyranitar and Heatran upon switch-in, which otherwise walls Charizard-Y. Also, you can pull a gimmick and run Earthquake (Thank you Animus Majulous for this idea) for tentacruel and heatran. Also, if you need the bulk, I suggest using this team:

Charizard-Y@ Charizardite
Ability: Drought
EVs: 224 HP/252 SpD/ 32 Spe
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Solarbeam/Focus Blast/ Will-o-Wisp
-Solarbeam/Focus Blast/ Will-o-Wisp
-Roost

Explanation: This is the bulkier set of Charizard-Y, with a great base Sp.D stat of 115, it can tank a couple of hits and hit hard from a BST of 159 Sp.A. Also, with Will-o-Wisp, it can weaken physical threats like Landorus-T, Terrakkion, Tyranitar upon switch-ins. Also, you can WoW a special attacker and keep roost-stalling to annoy them out (lel). You can run more speed on this set if you wanna outspeed Nidokings. Personally, I run 296 speed on Zard-Y to outspeed them, also for WoW-ing Gyarados before sub, which can destroy it's set-ups. Also, if you use a Charizard-Y in mono flying, be sure to have an even number of Physical Attackers and Special Attackers and then decide what role can Charizard play as. I suggest using a team with Lando-T and Dragonite as physical attackers and Charizard-Y and Togekiss as special attackers.

Therefore, I nominate Mega Charizard-Y as A rank for flying.

Poliwrath(Fighting) C-Rank

-Now you might be thinking what possible reason is their to run Poliwrath,when Keldeo exist;well first off both perform different roles Keldeo is an all out attacker or revenge killer and on the other hand Poliwrath is a physical wall.
-As a water type it learns both water and ice moves which allow it to check some of the Pokemon that gives fighting types trouble(For example Gliscor,Dragonite,Landorus-T)
-Another important factor we must consider about Poliwrath is its ability,Water Absorb which basically gives it immunity from water type moves.
-As fighting types are mostly physical attackers,an untimely burn from scald will really hamper it;so therefore in such situations poliwrath is ideal switch.
-Poliwrath also has an ideal match up against most water types.
-If I did not mention it before 90/95/90 is superb bulk.
-There are quite a few negatives of Poliwrath too.
-It is weak to some common types and as such strong electric,grass,psychic,fairy and flying moves make it switch out.
-Rest Talk is bit unreliable sometimes.
-Poor offensive stats means it will not hit to hard.
-As Keldeo is a must have in most fighting teams,using Poliwrath means there will be a clash in typings and therefore some common weakness.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Relaxed Nature
- Circle Throw
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Explanations:
-This set is quite straight forward its main purpose is to wall certain Pokemon,and use of scald to get burns and Circle throw to phaze and rack up damage.
-Rest with the new sleep mechanics combined with sleep talk gives it reliable recovery and protection from status.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Relaxed Nature
- Circle Throw
- Scald/Ice Beam
- Toxic/Encore
- Protect/Substitute/Refresh

-This set gives up the reliable recovery of rest talk to become more of a utility Pokemon then a wall.
-Circle throw is mandatory to phaze and rack up damage.
-Scald has a high chances of burn,while ice beam lets it easily beat Dragonite,Landorus-T and Gliscor.
-Toxic lets it wear down walls such as Gastrodon or Quagsire.
-Encore prevents Pokemon from easily setting up Substitutes on it(e.g Keldeo and Gyarados).
-Protect lets Poliwrath recover a little health while scouting his opponent's next move.
-Substitute gives status protection and can help it against its counters the turn they are brought in.
-Refresh is mentioned as it allows to clear its own status so it can out stall other Pokemon with toxic.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
THIS IS NOT A TROLL

I nominate Murkrow for flying (C-rank)

Murkrow@ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Perish Song
- Roost
- Feather Dance
- Mean Look

Explanation: Although this looks stupid as hell, it actually is a genius strategy. With access to one of the most annoying abilities in the game (Prankster). Murkrow can dismantle walls and set-ups with feather dance and the perish trap. Also, with poor bulk of 60/42/42, with Eviolite, it has a decent Sp.D of 302 (Same as Empoleon), and although the defense stat is poor, feather dance allows it to survive and then roost stall will keep Murkrow alive. The reason this thing is so deadly is because it can switch into a wall, use Mean Look, then Perish Song, and roost for two turns then switch out. Guaranteed KO.
The reason it's a C-rank mostly because "who uses a friggin' Murkrow?" and that even with eviolite, it got mediocre defenses, so mastering on using this thing can be quite troublesome. Oh and a special thanks to All Falls Down to show me how awesome this thing can be.

Therefore, I nominate Trollbird Murkrow as C-rank in flying.

Last edited:
THIS IS NOT A TROLL

I nominate Murkrow for flying (D-rank)

Murkrow@ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Perish Song
- Roost
- Feather Dance
- Mean Look

Explanation: Although this looks stupid as hell, it actually is a genius strategy. With access to one of the most annoying abilities in the game (Prankster). Murkrow can dismantle walls and set-ups with feather dance and the perish trap. Also, with poor bulk of 60/42/42, with Eviolite, it has a decent Sp.D of 302 (Same as Empoleon), and although the defense stat is poor, feather dance allows it to survive and then roost stall will keep Murkrow alive. The reason this thing is so deadly is because it can switch into a wall, use Mean Look, then Perish Song, and roost for two turns then switch out. Guaranteed KO.
The reason it's a D-rank mostly because "who uses a friggin' Murkrow?" and that even with eviolite, it got mediocre defenses, so mastering on using this thing can be quite troublesome. Oh and a special thanks to All Falls Down to show me how awesome this thing can be.

Therefore, I nominate Trollbird Murkrow as D-rank in flying.

My issue with Murkrow, especially that set, is while you're setting up mean look, things can easily taunt you into struggle. It's more likely for people to shutdown Murkrow than it is for them to suspect you have like Pursuit or something, assuming Murkrow ever rarely carry one attack move.

That being said, I don't think it's worthy of D Rank.

D Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are outclassed in almost every single way. These Pokemon are only used for one of their moves, or for their typing / ability. Even so, they are generally second rate Pokemon meaning that they can be only brought in once or twice to perform their role. These Pokemon rarely adapt to the metagame.

I feel like the definition of C Rank fits Trollburd better:

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are only used to check a threat once or twice. These Pokemon often run unorthodox sets since their primary niches are outclassed by other Pokemon. Since they run unorthodox sets, some Pokemon can set up on them without fear. These Pokemon need a lot of support (which may be hard to give) for them to function. These Pokemon have a hard time adapting to the metagame.

Sableye most definately outclasses Murkrow on Dark with prankster recover and WoW Spamming, and people know they can't 100% of the time get away with taunting it since it carries a damaging move often, usually Knock Off.

And while it doesn't have Prankster, Eviolite Staravia, or even just BulkyRaptor are fairly better featherdancers than Murkrow, since on switch in they already get that -1 Attack from intimidate.

So since both types have an arguably better, (Though not completely viable) option, it's hard for me to suggest Murkrow any higher. Therefore I say C Rank.

Last edited:

feen

control
My issue with Murkrow, especially that set, is while you're setting up mean look, things can easily taunt you into struggle. It's more likely for people to shutdown Murkrow than it is for them to suspect you have like Pursuit or something, assuming Murkrow ever rarely carry one attack move.

That being said, I don't think it's worthy of D Rank.

D Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are outclassed in almost every single way. These Pokemon are only used for one of their moves, or for their typing / ability. Even so, they are generally second rate Pokemon meaning that they can be only brought in once or twice to perform their role. These Pokemon rarely adapt to the metagame.

I feel like the definition of C Rank fits Trollburd better:

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are only used to check a threat once or twice. These Pokemon often run unorthodox sets since their primary niches are outclassed by other Pokemon. Since they run unorthodox sets, some Pokemon can set up on them without fear. These Pokemon need a lot of support (which may be hard to give) for them to function. These Pokemon have a hard time adapting to the metagame.

Sableye most definately outclasses Murkrow on Dark with prankster recover and WoW Spamming, and people know they can't 100% of the time get away with taunting it since it carries a damaging move often, usually Knock Off.

And while it doesn't have Prankster, Eviolite Staravia, or even just BulkyRaptor are fairly better featherdancers than Murkrow, since on switch in they already get that -1 Attack from intimidate.

So since both types have an arguably better, (Though not completely viable) option, it's hard for me to suggest Murkrow any higher. Therefore I say C Rank.
Okay, editing it. Thanks Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)