Garbodor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion

Garbador is an interesting pokemon and is a pile of trash no seriously it is designed off a pile of trash, the best thing about it is it can set up Spikes, Toxic Spikes then you can take out fairy types and grass types with gunk shot then Explode in the face of anything else. Overall just a hazard setter not much else.

upload_2014-9-17_9-1-26.png
Venomoth for B Rank (Posion)
Venomoth for C Rank (Bug)

Venomoth @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder/BatonPass
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

Venomoth's job is to set up and abuse tinted lens, overall a great pokemon because it also gets the ability to hit things behind subs hard with stab or tinted lens boosted bug buzz, Psychic for coverage, and then you can pick sleep powder, or baton pass both great options, On poison its niche is baton passing and special sweeping where it is one the better poison special sweepers. Where as on bug you see a lot of bug buzz, from Volca, Vivi, and Galvantula but its out classed as a special sweeper by them because Volca has some bulk and can live a hit or two and has stab fiery dance, Vivi has a reelable sleep powder, and Galvantula has a 91% Accurate thunder.

Magcargo for E (God) Rank (Rock)

Pink Lightning (Magcargo) Focus sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
Timid Nature
-Shell Smash
-Ancient Power
-Flamethrower
-Earth Power
Explanation; Magcargo is only second next to Mantyke. It is almost as powerful,but not as. Regardless Magcargo is 4x Weak to ground and water,the two most common move types. Because of this,it won't live anything shy mud shot,or bubble. It has a nice 80 SpA and 30 Spe,making it the perfect fast sweeper,with Weak Armor and Shell Smash,it can reach a whopping 90 speed. Just about anything over 100 speed with investment will outspeed. That being said,Ancient Power can boost it's attack AND it's speed,while providing some bulk against priority. Because of this, if you get lucky it can allow a sweep (I've done it before). Disregarding that, Magcargo can use Flamethrower to kill Skarmory leads,something very few other rock types can,mostly because of rock only having five special attacker (including Magcargo).

ALT SET

Pink Lightning (Magcargo) @ Light Clay
Ability; Flame Body
EV's 252 Def/252 HP/4 SpA
Bold Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Lava Plume
Explanation; Magcargo can learn both screens,making it one of rocks MANY pokemon able to set up screens,what sets them apart it Magcargo's Bulk.With 50/120/80 bulk,it can tank physical hits decently,but can't switch in to take a hit,making it a lead only pokemon.It allows you to burn your opponent,and get up rocks and screens,so that a Calm Mind user like Diancie can set up,then deliver a sweep on a silver platter.It's less than not used,it's negligible at best,and any special attacker or Super Effective hit will most likely OKHO and outspeed it.

Gimmick Set

Magcargo Leftovers
Ability; Magma Armor
EV's; 252 SpD/252 HP/ Def
Calm Nature
-Iron Defense
-Amnesia
-Recover
-Lava Plume
Gimmick set,doesn't deserve an explanation. If it's lucky,w/ 4x SpD, it might live a surf.

upload_2014-9-17_9-18-58.png
Azelf for B Rank (Psychic)

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Psychic
- Fire Blast

Azelf @ Choice Band/ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Azelf @ Life Orb/ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Azelf is a great mon great attack, special attack, and speed, but paper thin defenses. Its a great SR setter then can smash holes in a bunch of things with Fireblast, as well a less used set which I love is choice band, scarf physical Azelf is my favorite set it makes people question what they wanna lead with because it can be a useful pivot with access to u turn and knock off. Then life orb special attacker it does a ton of damage. Overall great pokemon needs some thing to pair with it becuase it has no reliable recovery. B rank

upload_2014-9-17_9-19-35.png
Sigilyph for D Rank (Psychic)
Sigiliyph for D Rank (Flying)

Sigilyph @ FlameOrb
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4Hp
Ability: Magic Guard
- Psycho Shift
- Roost
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power

Gimmicky setup stored power its stupid set it is annoying to fight and honestly adds nothing to psychic or flying. Overall D rank it is

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Manaphy for B Rank

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf/Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball/Psychic/Shadow Ball

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are good but they need support (which may be hard to give) for them to function. ....These Pokemon are adaptable to the metagame.

Explanation: Manaphy is often overlooked when considering special attackers for water monos, and for good reason; it is completely outclassed by Greninja, Keldeo and possibly Starmie (BoltBeam + Psy STAB). However, access to some niche sets (Tail Glow) and an excellent move pool allow it to excel at specific roles when supported by clever team-building. The broad move pool also allows Manaphy to adapt to the metagame as needed. In addition to playing an offensive role, Manaphy contributes nicely to a water team's resistance/immunity core by weighing in at a whopping 1.4 kg! This provides an often-useful, offensive switch-in to opposing grass knot users (choice-locked Thundy-T and its team mates do not like staring down the possibility of a +3 Ice Beam coming their way next turn). However, it can also be outclassed as a grass knot switch-in by Rotom-W or Lanturn depending on the team build. While Manaphy is certainly not a "bad" pokemon, water mono's have better options at almost every role it could fill. B-rank is a fitting place for Manaphy given all those aforementioned 'mon's will be sporting S/A-ranks.

Usage/Set Details: Manaphy is another of the "base 100 across the board" 'mons that can run a variety of sets effectively. It's primary set makes use of Tail Glow to boost, what is naturally an underwhelming SpA stat, to scary levels in just one turn. When paired w/ admirable 100/100/100 bulk, the all important base 100 speed tier, and un-resisted attacking coverage, Manaphy becomes useful in almost any type matchup. However, it will not be doing any sweeping without some help from it's teammates to remove faster threats that can often nab a KO on Manaphy. Alternatively, it can serve as a wall-breaker to be paired with a fast special-attacker, such as Keldeo or Greninja, which sweeps after Manaphy does it's job. If you insist on sweeping with Manaphy, pair the 100/100/100 bulk with a Salac Berry to give it a pseudo-scarf at <1/4 health. Using Tail Glow as an attack activates the berry makes for quite the surprise! :D

With the nerfing of weather this generation and further nerfing of rain on water teams (#praiseMonotype), Manaphy's CM+Rest set that makes use of Hydration has become almost completely unviable (see below for the set and then go read about CroCune). One may also consider an AV set for Manaphy; although, the damage output is often underwhelming as a result of all the moves having <100 BP. Finally, it should be noted Manaphy has an excellent support move pool that could fill other niche/anti-meta roles with moves such as: Reflect, Light Screen, Safe Guard, Heal Bell, Knock Off, U-Turn, Toxic, Heart Swap and Charm.

Manaphy @ Damp Rock Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Rain Dance/Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Scald

Last edited:
upload_2014-9-17_10-55-37.png
Carbink for C Rank (Fairy)
Carbink for C Rank (Rock)

Carbink @ Light Clay
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 88 SDef / 252 HP / 168 Def
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Explosion

Its a suicide lead that is all its good at its not really good at anthing else its stats are garbage, but it can set up dual screens, and can wall quite a bit.

Not to mention it gets some support options with Reflect and Light Screen, and it can even use one of the most gimmicky, yet surprisingly useful moves in the game, Topsy-Turvy. I'm not saying Malamar is good, nor am I saying that I'll ever use it unless I decide to get adventurous, but Malamar is still solidly C rank in my opinion. Therefore, nominating Malamar (both Psychic and Dark) for C Rank
I think I'm just seeing the tiers as different from you. In fact I'd rate something of clutch potential in a match like rhypherior, camerupt, or indeed qwillfish, as a C, but Malamar is really troubled. Among its types, it simply has superior alternatives. I could call it raise it to D, but people have decided to ROLF with it on the ladder. Psychic types don't get props just for having access to their support movepool, the competition is so stiff that things like uxie are left in the dust to the likes of celebi,mew, cressalia. And Psychic and dark mono has widely used and effective scarf sets, many of which are versatile enough to bluff or use different styles. The fact that the superpower needed to overcome its attack investment is non stab, just really bothers me. As for topsy turvy getting use, so would the more accesible haze, or for the chronically hipster, psych up. I'm divided on trick room use, as experience with bronzong showed me that if the one setting it up is not the main sweeper, then they should make a speedy exit.

I've done fine with a lot of bad pokemon. Mostly due to RandomLottery tournaments and the like, but I wouldn't use this as a guest suprise intentionally. I think the atypical D rank pokemon should be at about executor-raticate level.

Last edited:

truedrew

Banned deucer.
Cinccino for mono normal- A rank

upload_2014-9-17_20-41-39.png

HAXINO (Cinccino) Choice Band
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off/U-turn

HAXINO (Cinccino) @ Kings Rock
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off

HAXINO (Cinccino) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off

Explanation: Cinccino, one of gen 5's underrated gifts to mono normal is very significant to mono normal as it is a highly versatile pokemon and thanks to its gifted ability of skill link its stab of choice (tail slap) hits 5 times. To add it gains access to bullet seed and rock blast giving it a wide offensive coverage against many of mono types common types (water, flying, ground, ice, fire, bug rock ) means it is hard pressed to be switched in upon as the 5 hits per turn is overwhelming for a majority of pokemon,
For example:
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 220-270 (55.8 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Slow Bro being one of the premier physical walls is easily overwhelmed by this furry rabbit and it also gains access to the omnipotent knock off to mess around with opponents walls and item loss is higher in mono type than it is in ou + it gives it that coverage vs bulky ghosts as status is no worries.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I think I'm just seeing the tiers as different from you. In fact I'd rate something of clutch potential in a match like rhypherior, camerupt, or indeed qwillfish, as a C, but Malamar is really troubled. Among its types, it simply has superior alternatives. I could call it raise it to D, but people have decided to ROLF with it on the ladder. Psychic types don't get props just for having access to their support movepool, the competition is so stiff that things like uxie are left in the dust to the likes of celebi,mew, cressalia. And Psychic and dark mono has widely used and effective scarf sets, many of which are versatile enough to bluff or use different styles. The fact that the superpower needed to overcome its attack investment is non stab, just really bothers me. As for topsy turvy getting use, so would the more accesible haze, or for the truly hipster, psych up. I'm divided on trick room use, as experience with bronzong showed me that if the one setting it up is not the main sweeper, then they should make a speedy exit.

I've done fine with a lot of bad pokemon. Mostly due to RandomLottery tournaments and the like, but I wouldn't use this as a guest suprise intentionally. I think the atypical D rank pokemon should be at about executor-raticate level.
Malamar is not at the Raticate level (actually Exeggutor isn't that bad, but that's a different discussion). Like I said, Malamar is not a good Pokemon and I won't be using it any time soon, but E rank with Shedinja is way too low. I can understand putting it in the D rank, but it would be D+ (if that exists) in my opinion.

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are only used to check a threat once or twice. These Pokemon often run unorthodox sets since their primary niches are outclassed by other Pokemon. Since they run unorthodox sets, some Pokemon can set up on them without fear. These Pokemon need a lot of support (which may be hard to give) for them to function. These Pokemon have a hard time adapting to the metagame.

D Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon that are outclassed in almost every single way. These Pokemon are only used for one of their moves, or for their typing / ability. Even so, they are generally second rate Pokemon meaning that they can be only brought in once or twice to perform their role. These Pokemon rarely adapt to the metagame.

I'll take infernape for fighting. I guess since this is a resource page, we should hold off on dredging up bad stuff only used in half jokey tourneys among friends.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Latios (Dragon) for S Rank
Latios @ Choice Scarf or Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire / Surf / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
- Trick

Set Details: While these sets obviously play differently due to the item selection, the move choice generally tends to be similar. The Choice Scarf set provides an exceptional revenge killer, capable of outspeeding almost anything and putting it down with the right move thanks to it's great Special Attack. The Choice Specs set provides pure power, with little outside of pink blobs, fairy-types and specially bulky steel-types able to take a Draco Meteor well. Psyshock breaks past specially bulky mons like Blissey, however Chansey will still be a major problem with it's mixed bulk. This is where Trick comes in, able to cripple the few Pokemon that could take it's hit's well. The other slot is for spare coverage, and is particularly important on the Choice Scarf set, as it means you can tailor it to revenge the threats that you need to. Nothing fancy about the EV spread here, max Special Attack and Speed with a Speed boosting nature.

OR

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Surf / Hidden Power Fire / Defog / Roost / Memento
- Earthquake / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Surf / Hidden Power Fire / Defog / Roost / Memento

Set Details: This set trades the Speed / Power for the ability to switch moves and run more utility moves, such as Roost or Defog. The moves choice is similar to that of the first set, two STABs for power and decent coverage, with the ability to hit weaker Defense stats with Psyshock. The last two slots are where things get interesting, as you have a choice between coverage or utility. Generally you will want to run one coverage move and one utility move, as sets with both Roost and Defog are more suited to Latias, thanks to her superior bulk. Memento is an interesting option if you feel Latios is no longer of use in the game, or even worse may give a free set-up opportunity to something that threatens your team such as Mega-Mawile. It also pairs well with the plethora of Dragon Dance users found on a Dragon monotype team such as Dragonite and Salamence.

Explanation: Metagames may change, but great power and Speed will always have their place. This is exactly the playstyle that Latios exemplifies with it's frightening base 130 SpA and blazing 110 base Speed. It also has the versatility and movepool to be able to run several different sets, making it an unpredictable opponent to be sure. While it may struggle in matchups against Fairy, it performs excellently in almost all other matches, and it is rare that it doesn't take out at least one opponent a game, if not sweeping late game.

Why S Rank? A versatile mon who it is almost impossible to consider building a Dragon team without, and one that can run several different sets equally well sounds like the definition of S Rank to me.

Last edited:
Cinccino for mono normal- A rank

Explanation: Cinccino, one of gen 5's underrated gifts to mono normal is very significant to mono normal as it is a highly versatile pokemon and thanks to its gifted ability of skill link its stab of choice (tail slap) hits 5 times. To add it gains access to bullet seed and rock blast giving it a wide offensive coverage against many of mono types common types (water, flying, ground, ice, fire, bug rock ) means it is hard pressed to be switched in upon as the 5 hits per turn is overwhelming for a majority of pokemon,
For example:
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 220-270 (55.8 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Slow Bro being one of the premier physical walls is easily overwhelmed by this furry rabbit and it also gains access to the omnipotent knock off to mess around with opponents walls and item loss is higher in mono type than it is in ou + it gives it that coverage vs bulky ghosts as status is no worries.
Personally I think Cinccino and co are remnants of a speed creep mentality that started with guts swellow. I'll own up trolling OU and Ubers matches in the past with Life orb Fake Out+ Double hit Ambipom. << In X/Y (and B/W for that matter) though, wall breakers are fairly common. Mono Normal has several ones that can jump on the playing field multible times, and they don't have the drawback of taking ~30% from an uninvested ice beam/scald/seismic toss from a wall, or a similar pitiful move. This does have two added bonuses though substitue breaking, and Crit chance (more likely to be used on relfect than bulk up/curse this gen). I say B-.

Last edited:

Freeroamer

Nani Man said:
Another good thing to keep in mind when ranking Pokemon is to think "if I was a new player and saw the rankings, those are the pókemon I should consider putting in my team" . Example, if I was looking at steel, I should be able to draw that heatran and skarmory are essential due to being S rank and are necessities/extremely important to have in my team.
Yeah this is a really great point Nani brings up, especially as I look at the OP and Flying already has 4 Pokemon which have been rated S Rank. While I agree that Flying will probably have the most high tier mons along with Water, I'm not sure that all of these could be called 'essential' or 'metagame defining'.

Acast

Magnezone (Electric) for A rank

Wallbreaker set
Magnezone @ Choice Specs / Air Balloon / Leftovers
Ability: Analytic/Sturdy/Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature (If using Analytic, go with a Quiet nature and 0 speed IVs)
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Grass/Ice/Fighting/Fire
- Volt Switch/Signal Beam

Surprise Revenge Killer set
Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy/Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Grass/Ice/Fighting/Fire
- Volt Switch

I really had a moral crisis while trying to decide if Magnezone should be put in A rank or B rank, but I ended up going with A rank. When Electric types and Steel types had a baby, it looks like the baby inherited Steel's poor speed and great bulk and Electric's very high Special attack.

To put it simply, I can only find 2 really crippling things about Magnezone, both of which can be worked around relatively easily on Electric teams. The first one of those is its miserable speed. 60 base speed is not going to be outspeeding anything that has any kind of speed investment. The other crippling aspect of Magnezone is its type weaknesses. Ground, Fire, and Fighting are easily some of the most commonly used attacking types in the metagame. Ground especially is not a weakness you want to have on Electric, as that just compounds the Electric type's overall weakness in a ground matchup. However, the thing about its weaknesses is that they are offset but a plethora of resistances, and Electric monotype teams have great options to handle Ground, Fire, and Fighting moves if Magnezone needs to switch out. With Rotom-W and Lanturn for Fire, Zapdos (and maybe Thundurus or Galvantula) for Fighting, and plenty of Flying types and Levitators (Rotom, Zapdos, Thundurus, Eelektross, etc) to handle Ground moves, Magnezone just loves to have those teammates available to switch into if it'll get KOd from a super effective move.

Pro:

Impressive special attack stat
Good bulk
3 great abilities

Con:
Very poor speed
Weak to common offensive types

Magnezone can play the all-out wall breaker quite well with a Specs Analytic set. Analytic essentially gives Magnezone a Life Orb boost just for being slower than the target, which will be almost all the time.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 228-268 (56.4 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

^That will slowly whittle away at Mew while it tries in vane to stay alive with Roost/Softboiled. That's power.

Sturdy is an option if you have Defog on Zapdos or are just feeling confident that your opponents won't try to set up entry hazards. It'll allow Magnezone to take a super effective hit and then KO its opponent before the opponent can do the same to Magnezone.

Magnet Pull is probably the least common ability you'll find on Magnezone in monotype, as its only real use is against Steel teams and Flying teams (for Skarmory). In the standard tiers it's more common because Skarmory could be on every team (and sometimes it feels like it is), but it becomes less viable once you restrict Skarmory to only 2 kinds of teams.

Air Balloon is a definite option for Magnezone, as it eliminates its most crippling weakness temporarily, giving it kind of a free turn before Ground attacks are thrown its way.

The second move set I listed, the Scarf one, is generally not recommended for use, but it is pretty funny to watch the opponent's reaction when Magnezone outspeeds their attacker. The surprise aspect is really the only reason to use it, as the opponent will assume they can KO Magnezone because they're faster, then gets a face full of Thunderbolt or Flash Cannon. With a scarf set, Volt Switch is actually more usable because that way Magnezone can do damage while switching out of harm's way.

The Hidden Power choice is really up to the individual team. I prefer Hidden Power Grass because Water/Ground types are such an annoyance to my team, but Ice creates the classic BoltBeam combo, while Fire and Fighting both hit Steel types super effectively, which can be a decent combination with Magnet Pull if you really hate Steel teams.

Malamar (type dosen't matter) for E rank

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Superpower
- Night Slash

Malamar in fact owns a wide support movepool in Taunt, trick room, dual screen, weather, switcheroo, but It's defenses, speed, offenses, and above all, uniqueness is absolutely pitiful. The idea of this set is to use his ability to attack and cast bulk up at once with superpower. Sadly he doesn't even get stab on that, and has no priorty for his newfound "bulk" which the majority of physical attackers laugh at. As a bonus his typing makes the common U-turn instantly lethal to him up to +2 defense. He also has access to the infiltrator ability, but he certainly can't kill any sub user, or even give it a status worth thinking about. If you see this in any ladder, delete your account and start with fresh ELO.
Imma have to agree with Acast that thing with a scarf is mad annoying I feel it fits well under D, plus rest talk set isnt that great for it imo

upload_2014-9-17_13-43-43.png
Sawk for C Rank (Fighting)

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy/MoldBreaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Knock Off/Poison Jab
- Ice Punch

Sawk the king of NU Last gen, one of the greatest wall breakers in NU, I love him in NU helped out a lot. His sheer attack stat is nice with a base 125, and a base speed of 85 he can wallbreak quiet a bit the problem is he is severely out classed by other pokemon like Terrakion, and Heracross. overall good adition to teams, but is overshadowed by more powerfull threats, it does get sturdy and moldbreaker which gives it the boot to C

Requesting Sharpedo (Dark, and Water), Typhlosion (Fire), and Gorebyss (Water)

Freeroamer

Will get mega ttar done tomorrow, with the new reserve limit in mind I'll reserve Tornadus-T (Flying) and Mega Gyarados (Flying) also, ty ^_^

Acast

Mega Manectric (Electric) for S Rank (EDIT: I'm changing my nomination to A Rank. Credit to Sae for changing my mind. Manectric is great, but not "S rank" great)

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Mega Manectric (aka "Super Scouter") is one of the best pokemon you can put on an Electric team. It seems as if GameFreak tailor-made it to be the perfect scout pokemon. Blazing speed, STAB Volt Switch, and Intimidate all combine to make it a perfect scouting lead and it can easily build momentum on most physical attackers because of the attack drop that Intimidate brings. Manectric is no slouch when it comes to power either. 135 base special attack is a very solid stat. On top of all this, it gets a a good move pool as well to take advantage of its special attack stat. If your electric team is focused around Volt Switch (as many Electric teams are) there is little to no reason for you to not be using Mega Manectric.
If you're going for a more bulky Electric team, then it becomes understandable for you to use Mega Ampharos instead, which of course prevents you from using Mega Manectric. But Mega Mane is a great pivot on bulky teams as well. It allows you to switch from one wall/tank to another that handles the current threat better, all the while doing damage with Volt Switch.
Pro:
One of the fastest pokemon out there
Good special attack stat
Good move pool
Intimidate+Volt Switch is an extremely effective combo, especially when paired with Mega Mane's stats
Con:
No priority
Crippled against Ground teams (but it can still fire off HP Ice to do some damage, especially on all those 4x Ice weak pokemon)
Not outstanding bulk. Intimidate helps, but it still won't want to take any hits

Just a tip: You might be tempted to run Overheat instead of Flamethrower since Mega Mane won't be staying in for long periods of time anyway, but the vast majority of pokemon you will have to use a Fire move on will all be OHKOd by Flamethrower anyway. These pokemon are Ferrothorn, Scizor, Genesect, etc. (The only one I know of that isn't OHKO'd by Flamethrower is Excadrill, but Exca will usually outspeed Mega Mane due to a scarf or Sand Rush anyway, so you shouldn't leave Mega Manectric in on Excadrill.)

Last edited:
Alright, just for the record, I am NOT trolling with this recommendation. Without further ado:

Slaking for A rank:

Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
6HP/252Atk/252Spe
Jolly Nature
-Retaliate
-Giga Impact
-Night Slash
-Earthquake

Now, I know what you're all thinking: "Slaking for A rank? What the hell are you smoking and where can I get some?"
It's true, Slaking is looked down upon in OU and other tiers because of it's awful inhibitor: Truant. Which only allows it to attack every other turn. But, that's perfectly fine, because if you use Slaking the correct way, it'll be out before you need to worry about it.

Now, for those of us uneducated on this beautiful monster, let's look at its base stats:

BST: 670
HP:
Atk: 160
Def: 100
Sp. Atk: 95
Sp. Def: 65
Spe: 100

Despite its lazy nature, and obese appearance, Slaking boasts not only natural bulk and defense that put some tanks to shame, but also a WHOPPING 160 Attack and 100 Speed. Fully invested with the above set and Choice Band giving Slaking a Stat Total of 442HP/419(628 After Choice Band Boost)/328 Speed. AND Slaking gets a 140 Power Same-Type-Attack-Bonus move in Retaliate, making it one of the most threatening Revenge Killers around. Or, alternatively if you need to send it in and are willing to risk a few turns, you also have a 150 BASE POWER STAB in Giga Impact. This, combined with 100 Speed, and full investment, to ensure you that slaking will leave a dent in anything unresisted. And for Ghosts? 70 Power Night Slash (With a 12.5% chance of becoming a 105 Base power move on crit), allows Slaking to overcome any ghosts that stand in Slaking's way. Not even Cofagrigus can stand up to Slaking, for fear of giving it Mummy and suppressing Truant. Earthquake is coverage for steels like Ferrothorn and friends who carry rocky helmet or iron barbs, so that Slaking takes as little damage as possible, while still murdering. Sadly, there are threats like burn, Protect, and Skarmory who are immune to EQ, or incapacitate Slaking and requires it to rely on Blissey or Chansey as a cleric with Aromatherapy or Heal Bell, but Slaking still otherwise destroys many of the Pokemon it comes up against with its natural bulk, outrageous attack, high Base Power STAB moves, and Choice band.

This is why I feel like Slaking is very worthy as A rank, for the best (And laziest) Revenge Killer in the tier.
Slaking A-> C Rank

Explanation:
Although it's blessed with a beautiful movepool and BST, it's cursed by its ability: Turant. However, here are things that are preventing from dropping to the lowest of the low. First, there aren't a lot of things in Monotype that appreciate getting hit by a Banded Retaliate. Second, Normal can give the support that Slaking needs to be successful. They are:

Heal Bell Support: Chansey / Blissey / Miltank
Something that can handle Set Up Mons (Unaware etc, or extremely bulky): Ditto, Chansey (Special), Porygon2 / Bulky Raptor (Physical)
Something that can handle Fighting moves: Porygon2 and Bulky Raptor (Physical)
Something that can easily break subs: Meloetta (Hyper Voice), and Cinccino (Tail Slap, Rock Blast, Bullet Seed etc)
Something that can Defog / Spin away hazards: Bulky Raptor

However, as many of you said. A lost turn is a lost turn. And there will always be times where you wished that you had a more reliable Pokemon.

These Pokemon have a hard time adapting to the metagame.

As for this, it's kind of true. Slaking will have to choose between a weakened Retaliate or Giga Impact if something hasn't recently died. If you choose Retaliate, you'll lose a considerate amount of power, and the ability to 1HKO stuff. Whereas Giga Impact will almost surely KO the Pokemon you hit, but you lose the ability to switch out. Your opponent will obviously try and kill it during the Turant turn. That means that Slaking will have a hard time switching in, and when it does, chances are is that it'll be killed after killing 1 Pokemon. Not only that, Slaking is extremely predictable. Matt's set will be the only set that should be used (Maybe Fire Punch somewhere) meaning that your opponent can switch into an appropriate counter.

I guess this is the final decision. If I missed something big, tell me and I'll edit it in.

Sae

In the midst of Orre
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Mega Manectric (Electric) for S Rank

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Mega Manectric (aka "Super Scouter") is one of the best pokemon you can put on an Electric team. It seems as if GameFreak tailor-made it to be the perfect scout pokemon. Blazing speed, STAB Volt Switch, and Intimidate all combine to make it a perfect scouting lead and it can easily build momentum on most physical attackers because of the attack drop that Intimidate brings. Manectric is no slouch when it comes to power either. 135 base special attack is a very solid stat. On top of all this, it gets a a good move pool as well to take advantage of its special attack stat. If your electric team is focused around Volt Switch (as many Electric teams are) there is little to no reason for you to not be using Mega Manectric.
If you're going for a more bulky Electric team, then it becomes understandable for you to use Mega Ampharos instead, which of course prevents you from using Mega Manectric. But Mega Mane is a great pivot on bulky teams as well. It allows you to switch from one wall/tank to another that handles the current threat better, all the while doing damage with Volt Switch.
Pro:
One of the fastest pokemon out there
Good special attack stat
Good move pool
Intimidate+Volt Switch is an extremely effective combo, especially when paired with Mega Mane's stats
Con:
No priority
Crippled against Ground teams (but it can still fire off HP Ice to do some damage, especially on all those 4x Ice weak pokemon)
Not outstanding bulk. Intimidate helps, but it still won't want to take any hits

Just a tip: You might be tempted to run Overheat instead of Flamethrower since Mega Mane won't be staying in for long periods of time anyway, but the vast majority of pokemon you will have to use a Fire move on will all be OHKOd by Flamethrower anyway. These pokemon are Ferrothorn, Scizor, Genesect, etc. (The only one I know of that isn't OHKO'd by Flamethrower is Excadrill, but Exca will usually outspeed Mega Mane due to a scarf or Sand Rush anyway, so you shouldn't leave Mega Manectric in on Excadrill.)
Idk I might give Mega Manectric A rank, but I think S rank is kind of pushing it. Unlike Rotom-W, Mega Manectric is fairly limited in application. It does make a really nice pivot with Intimidate and unlike most electric types it gets a strong fire type move which helps against Grass types that electric teams might struggle with. However besides that, it doesn't do a lot that other Electric types can. Even with Intimidate, it's not the bulkiest mon out there, and it's not like Electric is going to be using any form of Wish passing so residual damage does a lot. I mean I'd make the argument that Raikou does better for Electric monos than Mega Manectric since the speed difference isn't as crucial since most types do not surpass base 115 speed that Raikou carries. Also unlike Manectric, Raikou can hold an item, learns Extransensory for Mega Venusaur and it can also boost with Calm Mind making for a bigger threat. As a scout, Raikou can just equip a Choice item (either scarf or specs) to deal damage and again, not much will outrun Raikou outside of priority or other scarfs. It's ability prior to Mega doesn't add any favors since Lightningrod does not help Electric mono so not even a small boost like Mawile's Intimidate into Huge Power is seen here.

Mega Manectric just doesn't stand out enough imo to make it S rank. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd put Mega Mane at A rank. It just doesn't have that versatility to put it beyond the threshold that is S rank.

Last edited:

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
In honor of Drakner, the true Honchkrow pimp

Nominating Honchkrow for A Rank in Flying type.

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpAtk
Naughty nature
-Heat Wave
-Superpower/Roost
-Sucker Punch
-Brave Bird

Explanation: Honchkrow is actually a very underrated threat, and I feel it deserves A rank. It miiight be B, but A is imo the best place to put it. Life Orb boosts its already high base 125 Atk, and pretty solid base 105 SpAtk to outstanding levels. Heat Wave is for walls like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, etc. Moxie is of course the best ability; the +1 it achieves on a Sucker Punch revenge kill or a surprise Heat Wave kill immediately make it an extremely potent sweeper. Superpower can be used for Heatran, or Roost to keep up its longevity, which is one of its greatest weaknesses. With Brave Bird and Life Orb adding up, it can take itself out fairly quickly. If it wasn't for this, I might've actually considered putting this S Rank, but that could be going a bit too far. STAB Sucker Punch is an amazing thing to have, proven by Bisharp and the threat it presents. However, Honchkrow can be considered slightly better than Bisharp, mostly for access to an amazing coverage move, Heat Wave, coming off a very solid base 105 SpAtk, toasting up Ferros and Skarms. Honestly, there really isn't too much that can take this thing on 1v1, as anything slower can get utterly wrecked by a STAB Brave Bird, and anything faster by a STAB Sucker. On paper it doesn't look bad, besides that really irritating bulk. 100 HP is good, but not when backed by 52/52 defenses, making this thing pretty frail. However, at the end of the day, if you manage to pick off something quickly to get a Moxie boost, nothing will even get to attack you, so the only drawback to that is that you are a bit restricted as to when you decide to sweep. Overall, this thing is a pretty good mon in general, wrecking a LOT of unprepared teams, but is hindered by frailty and lack of longevity, sometimes preventing a sweep.

Anyway, that's my long rant about Honch. While you may argue it should be B, I would recommend playing with it first, because this is one poke that can't be defined on paper. After, say, 10-20 matches with it, a solid opinion about its rank can be formed, so that's my warning to all who want to rank this thing prematurely. <.< Just test it, its fun to play with anyway.

Also, EV's can be tweaked for more SpAtk, I am not at liberty to give out the EV's that Drakner gave me, he does not want his 'innovated' set to be known to public. Moves, however, are pretty common, so if he's pissed about that, well too bad for him >.>

Galvantula (Bug) -> A Rank

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball / Hidden Power Ice / Volt Switch

Explanation: Galvantula is arguably the best Sticky Webber for Bug types. It's also one of Bug's best Special Attackers since it gets STAB Thunder to hit Flying and Water types, and maybe even paralyzing them in the process. A 108 speed stat will let Galvantula get the last hit before dying most of time. For its moveset, Sticky Web + Thunder are obvious. Bug Buzz is chosen for STAB, and its ability to hit through Substitutes. The last move is a choice between Energy Ball, HP Ice, and Volt Switch. Energy Ball is for hitting Ground types like Gastrodon and Excadrill. Hidden Power Ice is for Landorus, and Gliscor who'd otherwise wall this set completely. Volt Switch is the most useful vs Flying Monotypes since you can get momentum easier.

Galvantula (Electric) -> D Rank

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball / Hidden Power Ice

Why D rank? Like other Sticky Webbers, Galvantula is only used for Sticky Webs, and unlike Bug, Electric's already fast enough to outspeed a majority of the tier. It's also outclassed in an all out attacker since Thundurus has higher speed and power. One would only use this to abuse Specs + Modest sets. Otherwise, there's no point using Galvantula. The set stays the same, except I feel like Volt Switch isn't that necessary on Electric Monotypes since they have all the Electric STAB they need to hit Flying types.

Mantyke for God Rank

Mantyke @ Eviolite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Mirror Coat
- Scald
- Protect

Explanation: Mantyke was born to be a god, however, it was cursed with unreliable recovery (Gods can't be perfect). However, it just looks awesome and stuff making it the god of Monotype. I chose this set because it utilizes its beautiful Special Defense stat which is further boosted by the Eviolite. Protect for Toxic Stalling, and Scald for burns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)