Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Idk I might give Mega Manectric A rank, but I think S rank is kind of pushing it. Unlike Rotom-W, Mega Manectric is fairly limited in application. It does make a really nice pivot with Intimidate and unlike most electric types it gets a strong fire type move which helps against Grass types that electric teams might struggle with. However besides that, it doesn't do a lot that other Electric types can. Even with Intimidate, it's not the bulkiest mon out there, and it's not like Electric is going to be using any form of Wish passing so residual damage does a lot. I mean I'd make the argument that Raikou does better for Electric monos than Mega Manectric since the speed difference isn't as crucial since most types do not surpass base 115 speed that Raikou carries. Also unlike Manectric, Raikou can hold an item, learns Extransensory for Mega Venusaur and it can also boost with Calm Mind making for a bigger threat. As a scout, Raikou can just equip a Choice item (either scarf or specs) to deal damage and again, not much will outrun Raikou outside of priority or other scarfs. It's ability prior to Mega doesn't add any favors since Lightningrod does not help Electric mono so not even a small boost like Mawile's Intimidate into Huge Power is seen here.

Mega Manectric just doesn't stand out enough imo to make it S rank. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd put it at A rank. It just doesn't have that versatility to put it beyond the threshold that is S rank.
You make some good points. I have to admit, I was kind of debating with myself on whether or not to put it in S or A rank and it has been so effective on my Electric team that I decided to shoot high and put it in S rank. I think your points are actually good enough that I'll change my original post. I'll nominate it for A rank instead (of course you'll get credit) .3.

Reactions: Sae

Sae

In the midst of Orre
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
In honor of Drakner, the true Honchkrow pimp

Nominating Honchkrow for A Rank in Flying type.

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpAtk
Naughty nature
-Heat Wave
-Superpower/Roost
-Sucker Punch
-Brave Bird

Explanation: Honchkrow is actually a very underrated threat, and I feel it deserves A rank. It miiight be B, but A is imo the best place to put it. Life Orb boosts its already high base 125 Atk, and pretty solid base 105 SpAtk to outstanding levels. Heat Wave is for walls like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, etc. Moxie is of course the best ability; the +1 it achieves on a Sucker Punch revenge kill or a surprise Heat Wave kill immediately make it an extremely potent sweeper. Superpower can be used for Heatran, or Roost to keep up its longevity, which is one of its greatest weaknesses. With Brave Bird and Life Orb adding up, it can take itself out fairly quickly. If it wasn't for this, I might've actually considered putting this S Rank, but that could be going a bit too far. STAB Sucker Punch is an amazing thing to have, proven by Bisharp and the threat it presents. However, Honchkrow can be considered slightly better than Bisharp, mostly for access to an amazing coverage move, Heat Wave, coming off a very solid base 105 SpAtk, toasting up Ferros and Skarms. Honestly, there really isn't too much that can take this thing on 1v1, as anything slower can get utterly wrecked by a STAB Brave Bird, and anything faster by a STAB Sucker. On paper it doesn't look bad, besides that really irritating bulk. 100 HP is good, but not when backed by 52/52 defenses, making this thing pretty frail. However, at the end of the day, if you manage to pick off something quickly to get a Moxie boost, nothing will even get to attack you, so the only drawback to that is that you are a bit restricted as to when you decide to sweep. Overall, this thing is a pretty good mon in general, wrecking a LOT of unprepared teams, but is hindered by frailty and lack of longevity, sometimes preventing a sweep.

Anyway, that's my long rant about Honch. While you may argue it should be B, I would recommend playing with it first, because this is one poke that can't be defined on paper. After, say, 10-20 matches with it, a solid opinion about its rank can be formed, so that's my warning to all who want to rank this thing prematurely. <.< Just test it, its fun to play with anyway.

Also, EV's can be tweaked for more SpAtk, I am not at liberty to give out the EV's that Drakner gave me, he does not want his 'innovated' set to be known to public. Moves, however, are pretty common, so if he's pissed about that, well too bad for him >.>
If we actually did do +, =, - ranks per letter I'd have said Honchkrow was A- or B+. However I do think that in this case it should be bumped up to A as I would probably say it's arguably better than Staraptor which I feel is B rank rather than A even though it's one of my favorite pokes.

While they both are great physical sweepers and actually use their flying STABs, there are key differences.
Key differences:
-Staraptor has the ability to punish electric walls like Rotom-Wash and Mega Ampharos a lot better than Honchkrow. Cband Staraptor can 2HKO physically defensive Rotoms and can outright punish Scarf variants by slapping a Scarf to himself.
-Honchkrow allows Flying types to deal with those pesky steel types and has access to a better priority move. While not being able to perfectly take on defensive Rotom-A formes, it can still check some of them if it gets enough Moxie boosts.

Yeah Honchkrow is a very underrated threat, however it's so much better than people give it credit for. It does enough to separate itself from other physical Flying mons with better priority, ability to punish steel types thus keeping momentum instead of losing sweeps, and it can do the mind game of Pursuit/Sucker Punch if you really wanted to do so. Staraptor's only other niche I'm still trying to convince people of: Final Gambit (it does have a higher HP stat than Skarm people xp) is still a niche and tbh does a lot better on MonoNormal since you can Wish pass to it if it ever gets any prior damage from SR before you remove them (too bad it was already reserved on MonoNormal). Yeah I'll throw in my support for A rank unless they implement + and - to the ranks cause while good it's not like high tier A or even S rank.

Last edited:

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If we actually did do +, =, - ranks per letter I'd have said Honchkrow was A- or B+. However I do think that in this case it should be bumped up to A as I would probably say it's arguably better than Staraptor which I feel is B rank rather than A even though it's one of my favorite pokes.

While they both are great physical sweepers and actually use their flying STABs, there are key differences.
Key differences:
-Staraptor has the ability to punish electric walls like Rotom-Wash and Mega Ampharos a lot better than Honchkrow. Cband Staraptor can 2HKO physically defensive Rotoms and can outright punish Scarf variants by slapping a Scarf to himself.
-Honchkrow allows Flying types to deal with those pesky steel types and has access to a better priority move. While not being able to perfectly take on defensive Rotom-A formes, it can still check some of them if it gets enough Moxie boosts.

Yeah Honchkrow is a very underrated threat, however it's so much better than people give it credit for. It does enough to separate itself from other physical Flying mons with better priority, ability to punish steel types thus keeping momentum instead of losing sweeps, and it can do the mind game of Pursuit/Sucker Punch if you really wanted to do so. Staraptor's only other niche I'm still trying to convince people of: Final Gambit (it does have a higher HP stat than Skarm people xp). Yeah I'll throw in my support for A rank unless they implement + and - to the ranks cause while good it's not like high tier A or even S rank.
I second the + = - rank, and if this gets implemented, I will edit Honch into A-. Staraptor is still a good Choice mon and attacker, but overall I do agree that Honch is better, with powerful pseudo-priority and Heat Wave. This is basically just a follow up post saying that I think Honch is an A- for Flying lol

Greninja (Water) for S Rank

Greninja @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability:Protean
252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Modest/Timid nature
-Scald/Surf
-Ice beam
-Grass knot
-Dark Pulse/Extrasensory/Hidden Power Fire
Explanation: Greninja is one the staple pokemon for a water monotype. With great offensive stats, wonderful coverage, allowing it to defeat huge threats to water, such as Thundurus, and Mega Venusaur, coupled with the ability Protean, which allows it to get STAB boost from any move, while changing its typing, literally breaking the rules of monotype, you can easily see why this pokemon is S tier for water.
Set Details: It is recommended that choice scarf be used with modest nature, for pokemon that outspeed him and could cause trouble for a water mono, such as timid Alakazam, timid Keldeo, timid Latios, and scarf Gardevoir. Choice specs should be used with Timid nature for the extra power, allowing greninja to 2hko to ohko almost all pokemon for Super effective damage. Use Life Orb with timid nature if you don't want to be locked into one move, but the recoil will shorten greninja's life. The last moveslot depends on what your team needs to beat. HP fire for Ferrothorn and Scizor, extrasensory for pokemon such as Mega Venusaur. Dark Pulse helps vs Bulky psychic Pokemon.

Physical Greninja
Greninja @ Liechi berry / Choice band
60 HP / 196 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly nature
-Substitute/Rock Slide
-Acrobatics
-Shadow Sneak
-Power-Up Punch/Rock Slide
Set Details: This is the Physical Gren set, which can check many grass pokemon, in place of Sap sipper Azumarill, such as breloom, who could cause problems for water monotypes. The Hp Evs allow you to make up to three subs to activate the Liechi berry to get an attack boost, while protecting greninja from status, and doubling Acrobatics damage. Rock Slide can be used if you dont want to Sub or Power-Up punch, although Greninja doesnt have great defensive stats, and the boost to his Atk stat really helps him sweep. Water shuriken, and waterfall can be used but being that he only gets four moves, and the extra water coverage for a water mono shouldn't be needed, they shouldn't be used.
I'm being pickier with S / A Ranked mons. Can you change the special set to this? Also, SpD is Special Defense. Spe is Speed.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs / Life Orb
4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid nature
-Hydro Pump / Scald
-Ice beam
-Extrasensory
-Hidden Power Fire / U-turn / Dark Pulse

Extrasensory is a must because it's the only way to hit Mega Venusaur, Hidden Power Fire hits Ferrothorn, but unlike Venusaur Ferrothorn can actually be taken down if you wear it down enough. Greninja doesn't have enough power to run Surf, so it's either all or nothing.
Okay...here we go.

For Mono Ghost...

Mega Banette for C Rank

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Protect / Will-O-Wisp

Mega Banette is alright. It has Prankster, which is quite good, and it has cool tools in its arsenal like Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, and Destiny Bond. This, along with a ridiculous 165 Attack with tools like Phantom Force, Sucker Punch, and Knock Off, it's a decent stallbreaker as well as a panic button. It can spread burns and be annoying and disruptive while it can get a free kill. Mega Banette also hits hard so it's not passive at all. However, it's pretty hard to use because its base form is both frail and slow, and Prankster doesn't activate on the first turn, which kind of limits its use. It also has no recovery, unlike Sableye, so it's easy to wear down, and unlike Sableye, Mega Banette is weak to Knock Off, so Mega Banette is overall not as effective as Sableye. It's workable though, but it needs good playing to do well.

Golurk for B Rank

Golurk @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch

Golurk brings a few good niches to a Mono Ghost team: It is the only Ghost-type that can set up Stealth Rock, and it is a physical Ghost-type, something it shares only with Dusknoir, Mega Banette, and lol Shedinja (oh and I guess Trevenant and Aegislash). It sets up Stealth Rock decently well, and has a nice set of resistances and decent bulk to do so. It also packs a solid punch with Earthquake, Shadow Punch, and Ice Punch, so it puts some nice dents in the opponent's team. Being a strong Pokemon is nice and Golurk can also take on special walls that trouble it. It can run a Choice Band set decently well too, and it has a nice movepool to use. It's pretty slow though and has a lot of exploitable weaknesses. Overall though it's a nice physical attacker and Stealth Rock setter for Mono Ghost teams, the latter being especially important.

As for Mono Dragon:

Goodra for B Rank

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Muddy Water

Goodra is quite a nice Dragon-type Pokemon. Unlike the rest of its brethren though, Goodra's strength lies in its special bulk, which allows it to stomp on Mono Water, Mono Electric, and Mono Grass teams (And I guess Mono Fire). It has a wide offensive movepool, and in tandem with Assault Vest, it can use its two qualities excellently. Goodra can use a strong Draco Meteor to sting things like Thundurus, while Sludge Bomb gives it a chance against Fairy teams and the occasional Togekiss or Azumarill on the occasional Mono Flying or Mono Water team, respectively. Fire Blast is awesome to hit Steel-types. With all kinds of coverage, Goodra can excel as an offensive tank with an Assault Vest in tow. Gooey and Sap Sipper are both awesome abilities in their own right too. Overall a fine special tank, only problem is it has a bit of competition from the Latis and has no recovery, but it's a very good Pokemon nonetheless.

Salamence for A Rank

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw / Iron Tail

Salamence is great on a Mono Dragon team. Even though it's relatively subpar in standard, in Monotype it's quite a good Dragon. Its Scarf Moxie set is a great revenge killer and late game cleaner, being able to use a strong Outrage to revenge kill a lot of Pokemon and be able to sweep with the Moxie snowball, as it only gets stronger with each kill. Salamence is quite good at this, and also has Earthquake and Fire Blast to deal with Steel-types, and Iron Tail could be used to hit Togekiss, Sylveon, and Clefable if they pose a problem. It's a very good late game cleaner. In addition, it can also run a mixed attacker set and a Dragon Dance set, but the Scarf set is really good and is an outstanding addition to any Mono Dragon team.

Will try to do Togekiss tomorrow.
Just a small nitpick, but can you add a Intimidate Defog set? Unlike Latias, Mence isn't weak to Bug / Dark moves etc.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost / Wish
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast / Toxic / Earthquake / Whatever

Even with a -SpAtk nature, Salamence can still 2HKO Max HP + Def Skarmory with Fire Blast.

This isn't that important, but it forms a defensive core with Sp Def Kyurem-B and Latias

Key differences:

Yeah Honchkrow is a very underrated threat, however it's so much better than people give it credit for. It does enough to separate itself from other physical Flying mons with better priority, ability to punish steel types thus keeping momentum instead of losing sweeps, and it can do the mind game of Pursuit/Sucker Punch if you really wanted to do so. Staraptor's only other niche I'm still trying to convince people of: Final Gambit (it does have a higher HP stat than Skarm people xp) is still a niche and tbh does a lot better on MonoNormal since you can Wish pass to it if it ever gets any prior damage from SR before you remove them (too bad it was already reserved on MonoNormal). Yeah I'll throw in my support for A rank unless they implement + and - to the ranks cause while good it's not like high tier A or even S rank.
If we did the + = - the thread with get extremely long and empty :[

Last edited:
Zapdos (Flying) for A Rank

ThunderMountain (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Discharge
- Heat Wave/Toxic
- Roost

Zapdos is Flying's best special wall. With 90/85/90 defenses and solid Electric/Flying typing, it can take on many threats to monoflying such as Keldeo and Heatran. Discharge can spread paralysis to aid Togekiss and Landorus-T and also hits fairly hard off of Zapdos' 125 spA. Heat wave severely dents pokemon weak to it and outright OHKO's most 4x weak to it. Toxic can be used alternatively for enemy walls, however keep in mind that zapdos beats almost every wall due to its ability, pressure, draining the PP from opponent's recovery moves. Zapdos is not without its flaws, however - it is weak to ice- and rock-type moves that threaten monoflying already and is itself susceptible to toxic and other statuses (barring paralysis). However, these fairly common weaknesses are not enough to detract from Zapdos' many positive qualities.

Zapdos (Flying) for A Rank

Zapdos is Flying's best special wall. With 90/85/90 defenses and solid Electric/Flying typing, it can take on many threats to monoflying such as Keldeo and Heatran. Discharge can spread paralysis to aid Togekiss and Landorus-T and also hits fairly hard off of Zapdos' 125 spA. Heat wave severely dents pokemon weak to it and outright OHKO's most 4x weak to it. Toxic can be used alternatively for enemy walls, however keep in mind that zapdos beats almost every wall due to its ability, pressure, draining the PP from opponent's recovery moves. Zapdos is not without its flaws, however - it is weak to ice- and rock-type moves that threaten monoflying already and is itself susceptible to toxic and other statuses (barring paralysis). However, these fairly common weaknesses are not enough to detract from Zapdos' many positive qualities.
Zapdos is a pretty obvious A rank, however BEST SpD wall should be reserved for Togekiss. Since 4th gen, I have never made zapdos work out with standard bulk evs... Usually I find something like Modest 176 SpA / 252HP /80 Spe to work better, because extra poke damage, and taking things out that might accept a uninvested 2HKO fodder to weaken or status you, and finally a couple specific speed victories make zapdos work better for me. Overally I think that most of it's countermon are pretty obvious, and at worst it'll take a suprise KO, but at the cost of them giving their item/set choice, which is often possible to make up.

Last edited:

Acast

If we did the + = - the thread with get extremely long and empty :[
To be perfectly honest, I think +/=/- ranks are a little too complex. Yeah certain pokemon within A rank are better than others in that same rank, but I'm assuming this is mostly meant to be a guide for new monotype users, so they don't want all these random symbols cluttering up everything. They simply want to know what is useful and how to use it and simple letter ranks without the +/=/- will accomplish that without confusing people too much.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
TORKOAL For A Rank

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn

Simple, straightfoward, Torkoal is fire's only method of rapid spinning and removing stealth rocks (outside of the unreliable defog from 4x weak Pokemon), and also functions as a reliable stealth rock setter and a decent physically defensive wall. It is very predictable and can get spinblocked easily, it is ruined by any Pokemon with substitute, and it will not appreciate taking special moves. Keeping stealth rock off the field will be its number one priority, with setting stealth rocks probably second. Yawn to stop Pokemon from setting up on it.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
ENTEI For A Rank

Entei @ Choice Band / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze / Flare Blitz

Another straightforward Pokemon, Entei. Entei's role on a fire monotype will be to wall break, and it does so very efficiently for a few reasons. The obvious reason is Sacred Fire, perhaps one of the best moves in the game, which allows it a 50% chance to burn any check or wall that tries to switch in, crippling it in the process. Sun boosted life orb Entei's Sacred Fire is one of the strongest attacks in Monotype, and can pose a threat for many monotypes. Entei is faced with competition in the form of Darmanitan and Victini, but holds a large niche over them with strong priority in Extreme Speed and of course, Sacred Fire. With extremespeed, Entei is unfortunately forced to run an adamant nature. Here are a few calcs to demonstrate its wall breaking power with help from sun from Charizard Mega Y.

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew in Sun: 321-380 (79.4 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur in Sun: 205-244 (56.3 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos in Sun: 257-304 (66.9 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 138-164 (32.8 - 39%) -- 6.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz in Sun: 224-265 (52.9 - 62.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Here are some additional calcs to show its revenge killing potential in big threats for a fire monotype.

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 104-123 (35 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 139-164 (41.9 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 125-148 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 159-187 (55.5 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

all falls down

thanks ugly god
THUNDURUS - I (ELECTRIC) For S Rank

Thundurus @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Flying / Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast / Substitute / Grass Knot

Thundurus @ Life orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock off
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Thunder Wave / Taunt / Substitute

Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Flying

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power Ice

Thundurus can prove to be very useful for electric monotypes for three main reasons. One being prankster thunder-wave, which will always be prankster thunder-wave and amazing to cripple threats to electric monotypes such as +1 Charizard X, +1 Gyarados - Mega, +1 Dragonite, and the like. The second reason is taunt, which can help it break walls / tanks such as Mew and Clefable, both of whom are very hard to kill for electric monotypes. The third and final reason, and perhaps the most important, is Thundurus' physical movepool and stats and its ability to go fully physical or mixed. Electric is known not to have too many viable physical attackers, and thus finds itself walled by Monotypes' premier special walls such as Mew, Umbreon, Blissey, Zapdos, Heatran, and more. Mixed or physical Thundurus can hit most of these threats hard with Superpower or cripple them with Knock off to get rid of their eviolite or leftovers.

Other noteworthy sets for Thundurus include a boosting nasty plot set, which can also ease electric's lack of hard-hitters and let Thundurus break through the aforementioned walls, and even provide for a sweep due its devastating speed and special attack. Of course, standard Thundurus from OU is also very viable and deadly in monotype as well, and deserves a mention.

Thundurus' diversity in movesets and its ability to go mixed along with its useful ability, high offensive stats and movepool easily allow it to become S - ranked for Electric as it is almost essential. Thundurus' weakness to stealth rock is easily mitigated by defog through the use of Zapdos, and Thundurus usually does not mind stealth rock anyways as it will not be taking a hit either way.

Last edited:
Mega Aggron (Rock) for S Rank

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 72 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch / Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Heavy Slam is the main STAB option, and, with the given Attack EVs, lets it have a decent chance to OHKO Mega Medicham after Stealth Rock. Fire Punch lets it deal with Pokemon that are x4 weak to Fire, like Scizor and Ferrothorn, and 2HKO Excadrill. RestTalk serves as Aggron's only form of recovery. The EVs allow Mega Aggron to have a decent chance at avoiding the 2HKO from Sand Rush Excadrill's Earthquake while hitting back well with Fire Punch. You could use Earthquake for better overall coverage while still hitting Excadrill, but it won't do much to Ferrothorn or Scizor.

By providing a unique Steel-type resist, Mega Aggron fits on several Rock playstyles and serves as an answer to lots of opposing Steel-types and other dangerous physical attackers.
Nominating Aggron-Mega (Rock) for S Rank.

Aggron @ Aggronite
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 52 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam/Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Wave/Ice Punch/Rock Slide

This set can be used to specifically counter some of Rock's main threats and allow teammates to operate better. The EV's and nature allow Aggron to have a 75% to OHKO Mega Medicham with heavy slam, while capitalizing on bulk. Heavy Slam is generally stronger than iron head, but Iron head could be chosen to hit heavier threats harder, such as Rhyperior. Earthquake is used primarily to hit Bisharp, Mega-Mawile, and Excadrill harder than Fire punch. Fire punch is used to hit Scizor, Ferrothorn, and other steel types. The choice for the final moveset is yours- Thunder Wave cripples Keldeo and other fighting types that Aggron can't OHKO to allow teammates to pick them off, Ice Punch allows you to nail Landorus and friends hard, and Rock slide prevents Volcarona and Gyarados from setting up easily.

Aggron @ Aggronite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 56 Def / 196 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse/Dragon Tail/Roar
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Iron Head/Heavy Slam

This set, although unable to specifically counter certain threats, allows Aggron-Mega to last longer in the match and become a decent status absorber for Scald hax, Breloom's spore, and burns which are a common threat to Rock Monotype due to lack of special attackers. This moveset also isn't worried about being worn down by hazards as much. Iron head is slashed over Heavy slam because of its higher PP and consistent damage. Curse does allow Aggron to boost his defense to monstrous levels while dealing good damage to the opponent, but Dragon Tail and roar may also be used to prevent Pokemon such as Scizor, SD Breloom, and Gyarados (Although you will need Roar to fully stop gyarados if it has substitute). Some hazards could be a nice idea if you opt for a phasing move.

252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 56 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 136-162 (39.5 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 56 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 247-292 (71.8 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Mega Aggron: 280-330 (81.3 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 56 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 246-289 (71.5 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 56 Def Mega Aggron: 170-204 (49.4 - 59.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Aggron-Mega is a godsend for Rock Monotype. Many threats that could destroy it otherwise, such as Scizor, Bisharp, Mega-Mawile, and Mega Medicham can be dealt with 1v1 using Mega Aggron. It also alleviates Rock's problem with common priority, easily tanking Aqua Jets, Mach Punch, and especially Bullet Punches for the team. Aggron-Mega is also able to tank unbelievably strong attacks, such as Mega Medicham's High Jump Kick. Even when investing in bulk, Aggron-Mega's base stat of 140 attack allow it to sponge blows while doing considerable damage.

However, Aggron cannot consistently wall the Pokemon that it needs to. Because it needs to rely on RestTalk for healing, constant pressure from dangerous sweepers can leave him prone to being revenged by special attackers. His walling capabilities is also hindered by hazards, so support is needed there. The needed support isn't too hard to provide for Mega Aggron, so I believe it should be S rank.

Last edited:
Nominating Staraptor for A Rank, for now.

Staraptor is really good for Normal-monotypes. I'd go as far to say that it is essential for any viable Normal-monotype to run a Staraptor, no matter the set. I prefer the Bulky Staraptor set since it can safely switch in to most Fighting-types and pretty much murder them with the Feather Dance+Roost+Brave Bird combo. Yet, the Choice Scarf offensive set can punch a big hole in multiple types if played correctly. I prefer the Bulky set due to its longevity and how it can switch into certain Fighting-types with apparent ease, like Conkeldurr, for example. Bulky Staraptor can spam Feather Dance and wear Conkeldurr down with Roost until it's dead, which aids your team a lot, seeing as Conkeldurr is a very big threat, and would probably sweep you otherwise. Seriously, Staraptor is just so good. He switches into Pokemon like Conkeldurr, Cobalion, Heracross, and sometimes Terrakion, whose Close Combats do pitiful damage to Staraptor's bulky variants. Bulky Staraptor can also switch into Mega-Medicham, if it carries Drain Punch over High Jump Kick. But lets not forget about Staraptor's intimidating (heh) offensive variants. Reckless Staraptor can do amazing damage to most dedicated Physical Walls in the tier, just short of 2HKOing Slowbro, and that's not even Choice Band.

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 225-265 (57.1 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Choice Band Staraptor is definitely a huge threat to most types. Banded Reckless boosted Double Edges can pretty much 2HKO an entire Water-monotype. Sadly, recoil and Stealth Rock plague this Pokemon's offensive potential, and the only reliable Defogger on Normal is Bulky Staraptor itself. The only thing stopping me from nominating this amazing Pokemon from S-Rank, is that, from what I see, it that it's unranked. I highly believe that Staraptor definitely deserves S-Rank but I feel that no rank --> S is a big too large of a leap.

bulky set

ur mom (Staraptor) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- Feather Dance

offensive set

ur dad (Staraptor) @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Double Edge
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Close Combat

Last edited:
Sceptile (Grass) for D rank

Greninja's Understudy

Sceptile (Sceptile) @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain/dragon pulse
- Hidden Power Fire/Ice
- Focus Blast

228 Speed Is what you need for scarfed base 61s as well as 252+nature 115 pokemon. Sceptile can come in and hit like a truck, Life orb variants can choose to run one of protect or synthesis over one of their attacks (not leaf storm or focus blast though) if you feel your team needs scouting or you expect to be able to force switches with the mere threat of leaf storm. Since it needs to switch out a lot, hazard control is extremely important to any team, which can be problematic if the opponet predicts when you'll bring out your Hazard mon.
The specs variant's leaf storm is capable of a 2HKO on several defensive pokemon despite the -2, and Can easily cripple the majority of offensive pokemon switching in with only one resist.

Suicide Lead

Sceptile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Starting with this allows you to potentially get an immediate KO+heavy dent in a second to teams that lack priority, and also tends to delay the traditional hazard lead off, which is usually in your favor due to your available hazard poke not being cut out to match fast taunts from several other types.

It needs Defog support to work late game, but it's anti Fire, Bug, and Flying. It outspeeds Scarfed Victini after Unburden with this spread.

Sceptile @ King's Rock
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics / Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Fling
- Rock Slide

King's rock is a guaranteed flinch if used with fling, although, unlike the familiar normal gem fake out hitmonlee, the move can only be used once in a battle, which makes your coverage choices even more important. Your insane speed allows you to do attempt this to many pokemon and get the boost before the things capable of outspeeding you come out, as well as competently lead against sash users.

5th gen only
Late Game Sweeper

Sceptile (Sceptile) @ Flying Gem
EVs: 252 Atk / 26 HP / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Iron Tail/ Leaf Blade
- Earthquake/Rock Slide

Acrobatics is close to a NUKE the first time it is used, but coverage can be awkward in monotype. I recommend using him with another sweeper so that you can use the other one to support your team, and this one to snipe pokemon with awkward resistances. Sadly He can only get his speed boosted by acrobatics once, although even without the boost, he is by no means slow and still retains decent wall breaking ability. Very useful if they predict the former set and switch out to a pink blob, giving you a chance to lay the smack down with your free +2 Atk. He is at his best if you need to start a sweep while terrakion or keldeo is still alive, as he can outspeed them with +1 despite their scarf.

Substitue+Leech Seed

Sceptile @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Fire

A fast sub is amazing. After forcing a switch and seeding some fool, you can throw up subs before they attack so long as they are slower, and when maintaining a sub, you are free to attack, which stops them from setting up in your face or trying to phase you out in some cases. It comes 12% short of OHKO on szicor, so you'll want rocks or spike support. Swapping to ferrothorn to tank every time will lose you momentum in the long run.

Fingers crossed that the MEGA sceptile allegedly coming with Ruby/saphire remakes is better. < And that you can get a jhoto starter after finishing the hoenn dex like in emerald.

Last edited:
Sceptile (Grass) for D rank

Greninja's Understudy

Sceptile (Sceptile) @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain/dragon pulse
- Hidden Power Fire/Ice
- Focus Blast

228 Speed Is what you need for scarfed base 61s as well as 252+nature 115 pokemon. Sceptile can come in and hit like a truck, Life orb variants can choose to run one of protect or synthesis over one of their attacks (not leaf storm or focus blast though) if you feel your team needs scouting or you expect to be able to force switches with the mere threat of leaf storm. Since it needs to switch out a lot, hazard control is extremely important to any team, which can be problematic if the opponet predicts when you'll bring out your Hazard mon.
The specs variant's leaf storm is capable of a 2HKO on several defensive pokemon despite the -2, and Can easily cripple the majority of offensive pokemon switching in with only one resist.

Late Game Sweeper

Sceptile (Sceptile) @ Flying Gem
EVs: 252 Atk / 26 HP / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Iron Tail/ Leaf Blade
- Earthquake/Rock Slide

Acrobatics is close to a NUKE the first time it is used, but coverage can be awkward in monotype. I recommend using him with another sweeper so that you can use the other one to support your team, and this one to snipe pokemon with awkward resistances. Sadly He can only get his speed boosted by acrobatics once, although even without the boost, he is by no means slow and still retains decent wall breaking ability. Very useful if they predict the former set and switch out to a pink blob, giving you a chance to lay the smack down with your free +2 Atk. He is at his best if you need to start a sweep while terrakion or keldeo is still alive, as he can outspeed them with +1 despite their scarf.

Substitue+Leech Seed

Sceptile @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Fire

A fast sub is amazing. After forcing a switch and seeding some fool, you can throw up subs before they attack so long as they are slower, and when maintaining a sub, you are free to attack, which stops them from setting up in your face or trying to phase you out in some cases. It comes 12% short of OHKO on szicor, so you'll want rocks or spike support. Swapping to ferrothorn to tank every time will lose you momentum in the long run.

Fingers crossed that the MEGA sceptile allegedly coming with Ruby/saphire remakes is better. < And that you can get a jhoto starter after finishing the hoenn dex like in emerald.
Flying Gem is unreleased so that can't be possible :[
Use this set instead:

Sceptile @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

It needs Defog support to work, but it's anti Fire Bug and Flying. It outspeeds Scarfed Victini after Unburden with this spread

Staraptor is really good for Normal-monotypes. I'd go as far to say that it is essential for any viable Normal-monotype to run a Staraptor, no matter the set. I prefer the Bulky Staraptor set since it can safely switch in to most Fighting-types and pretty much murder them with the Feather Dance+Roost+Brave Bird combo. Yet, the Choice Scarf offensive set can punch a big hole in multiple types if played correctly. I prefer the Bulky set due to its longevity and how it can switch into certain Fighting-types with apparent ease, like Conkeldurr, for example. Bulky Staraptor can spam Feather Dance and wear Conkeldurr down with Roost until it's dead, which aids your team a lot, seeing as Conkeldurr is a very big threat, and would probably sweep you otherwise. Seriously, Staraptor is just so good. He switches into Pokemon like Conkeldurr, Cobalion, Heracross, and sometimes Terrakion, whose Close Combats do pitiful damage to Staraptor's bulky variants. Bulky Staraptor can also switch into Mega-Medicham, if it carries Drain Punch over High Jump Kick. But lets not forget about Staraptor's intimidating (heh) offensive variants. Reckless Staraptor can do amazing damage to most dedicated Physical Walls in the tier, just short of 2HKOing Slowbro, and that's not even Choice Band.

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 225-265 (57.1 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Choice Band Staraptor is definitely a huge threat to most types. Banded Reckless boosted Double Edges can pretty much 2HKO an entire Water-monotype. Sadly, recoil and Stealth Rock plague this Pokemon's offensive potential, and the only reliable Defogger on Normal is Bulky Staraptor itself. The only thing stopping me from nominating this amazing Pokemon from S-Rank, is that, from what I see, it that it's unranked. I highly believe that Staraptor definitely deserves S-Rank but I feel that no rank --> S is a big too large of a leap.
Noice writeup, but you need a set as well xD

Galvantula (Bug) -> A Rank
You can also run a Protect+Disable leftovers set using his great speed if you feel your team needs scouting against pokemon that have multiplbe potential roles, like Lando-T, and even force out certain nukes and CB pokemon that can survive a thunder. Taking the uncertainty out of prediction with protect alone (for 2 attacks) also tends to outweigh his other "post sticky web" options especially with Walls being so hard to do without for Bug and Electric.

upload_2014-9-17_17-46-5.png
Sharpedo for C Rank (Water)
Sharpedo for C Rank (Dark)

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Aqua Jet/Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake/Destiny Bond

Or

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Dark Pulse
- Surf
- Ice Beam/Destiny Bond

Sharpedo a feared RU wall breaker sweeping most of the teir, and getting speed for everything it does protecting, attacking, etc its a great pokemon but, like Azelf has paper thin defense even more so because it has a base defense of 40 each making it quiet frail with a mediocre hp stat of 70, it has a huge priority weakness often a bullet punch or mach punch will ohko, thats one of the reasons you run aqua jet over water fall, but over all it got amazing wall breaking potential.

upload_2014-9-17_18-1-16.png
Gorebyss for C Rank (Water)
Gorebyss @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Baton Pass

Gorebyss has a niche in C rank what is this niche you may ask because gorebyss is never seen really in monotype but it has the niche of smash passing. What is smash passing? You may ask, annoying to deal with. Basically passing a +2 Attack, +2 Special Attack, and +2 Speed boost to any other mon on your water team think of all the interesting things you can do with it. That is why Gorebyss has its niche its small, and not used very often but its an insane strategy and can sweep quite a bit of teams

Last edited:
As Promised:

Nominating Smogon Bird Jr. (Fletchinder) For C Rank (Fire)

As the majority of Monotypers know, long gone of are they days of Smogon Bird (Talonflame)'s tyranny. Talonflame was a monster on the field, despite its rather pathetic stats, besides speed, it gained an ability specific to its family, which allowed it to murder Grass, Bug, Fighting, and the occasional badly built steel team.

Gale Wings.

Which brings us to Fletchinder, A.K.A. Smogon Bird Jr.

While it is true that Fletchinder does not have the base 126 Speed that Talonflame had, it is only a small 8 Base Attack Stat away from its adult form, and, while losing Brave Bird and Flare Blitz, still has an, albeit small, niche.

Fletchinder @ Focus Sash
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Flail
- Roost / Flame Charge

Smogon Bird Jr. has the ability to set up a Swords Dance while sash is activated due to its frailty, and then Sweep on turn two with a 110 Power (STAB: 165) Acrobatics, or a 200 Power Flail, which will dent if not OHKO quite a few pokemon.

I can sense your doubt, so, Here are some Calcs done by yours truly. These are some Pokemon that Fire tends to have trouble against:

+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 722-852 (239.8 - 283%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 590-696 (182.6 - 215.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 373-441 (130.4 - 154.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Flail (200 BP) vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 309-364 (85.5 - 100.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 208-246 (51.8 - 61.3%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now, of course, Fletchinder is not the perfect pokemon, and it still is an NFE. Fletchinder is easily destroyed by Stealth Rocks, Extremespeed, multi-hit moves, and anything just plain faster than it. Roost can only do so much, and it still has sub par stats, leaving it to rely on Swords Dance and Acrobatics or Flail, which isn't amazing coverage. Which is why I nominate it for:

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are only used to check a threat once or twice (Both Offensive and Defensive). These Pokemon often run unorthodox sets since other Pokemon outclass their primary niches. Using these unorthodox sets may put you in danger of set up mons. These Pokemon need a lot of support (which may be hard to give) for them to function. These Pokemon have a hard time adapting to the metagame.

Acast

As Promised:

Nominating Smogon Bird Jr. (Fletchinder) For C Rank (Fire)

As the majority of Monotypers know, long gone of are they days of Smogon Bird (Talonflame)'s tyranny. Talonflame was a monster on the field, despite its rather pathetic stats, besides speed, it gained an ability specific to its family, which allowed it to murder Grass, Bug, Fighting, and the occasional badly built steel team.

Gale Wings.

Which brings us to Fletchinder, A.K.A. Smogon Bird Jr.

While it is true that Fletchinder does not have the base 126 Speed that Talonflame had, it is only a small 8 Base Attack Stat away from its adult form, and, while losing Brave Bird and Flare Blitz, still has an, albeit small, niche.

Fletchinder @ Focus Sash
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Flail
- Roost / Flame Charge

Smogon Bird Jr. has the ability to set up a Swords Dance while sash is activated due to its frailty, and then Sweep on turn two with a 110 Power (STAB: 165) Acrobatics, or a 200 Power Flail, which will dent if not OHKO quite a few pokemon.

I can sense your doubt, so, Here are some Calcs done by yours truly. These are some Pokemon that Fire tends to have trouble against:

+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 722-852 (239.8 - 283%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 590-696 (182.6 - 215.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 373-441 (130.4 - 154.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Flail (200 BP) vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 309-364 (85.5 - 100.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 208-246 (51.8 - 61.3%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now, of course, Fletchinder is not the perfect pokemon, and it still is an NFE. Fletchinder is easily destroyed by Stealth Rocks, Extremespeed, multi-hit moves, and anything just plain faster than it. Roost can only do so much, and it still has sub par stats, leaving it to rely on Swords Dance and Acrobatics or Flail, which isn't amazing coverage. Which is why I nominate it for:

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are only used to check a threat once or twice (Both Offensive and Defensive). These Pokemon often run unorthodox sets since other Pokemon outclass their primary niches. Using these unorthodox sets may put you in danger of set up mons. These Pokemon need a lot of support (which may be hard to give) for them to function. These Pokemon have a hard time adapting to the metagame.
I think C rank is a tad bit optimistic. While I'm sure it has some use, I really don't think saying "it has a hard time adapting to the metagame" is enough. Fletchinder is almost never on any monotype teams just because the difference between it and Talonflame is so great. Originally I was thinking it could be C rank, but I was unaware that Fletchinder didn't have access to Brave Bird or Flare Blitz. That's a huge loss. Without those moves, Fletchinder just doesn't have enough to make up for its drawbacks, which are a poor attack stat, nonexistent bulk, and a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock making it completely reliant on Torkoal or the occasional Defog Fire type just to be of any use. If Stealth Rock is on the field, Fletchinder won't be doing anything significant for you. I'm sorry but I think Smogon Bird Jr. belongs in D Rank

D Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are outclassed in almost every single way. These Pokemon are only used for one of their moves, or for their typing / ability. (Gale Wings in this case) Even so, they are generally second rate Pokemon meaning that they can be only brought in once or twice to perform their role. These Pokemon rarely adapt to the metagame.

I think C rank is a tad bit optimistic. While I'm sure it has some use, I really don't think saying "it has a hard time adapting to the metagame" is enough. Fletchinder is almost never on any monotype teams just because the difference between it and Talonflame is so great. Originally I was thinking it could be C rank, but I was unaware that Fletchinder didn't have access to Brave Bird or Flare Blitz. That's a huge loss. Without those moves, Fletchinder just doesn't have enough to make up for its drawbacks, which are a poor attack stat, nonexistent bulk, and a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock making it completely reliant on Torkoal or the occasional Defog Fire type just to be of any use. If Stealth Rock is on the field, Fletchinder won't be doing anything significant for you. I'm sorry but I think Smogon Bird Jr. belongs in D Rank

D Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are outclassed in almost every single way. These Pokemon are only used for one of their moves, or for their typing / ability. (Gale Wings in this case) Even so, they are generally second rate Pokemon meaning that they can be only brought in once or twice to perform their role. These Pokemon rarely adapt to the metagame.

I took all of that into consideration, and the reason why I aimed so optimistically was because I felt that the damage output that can potentially pulled off by Fletchinder was too strong for D Rank. Fletchinder at +2 Adamant has 538 as an Attack Stat, which coupled with 200BP Flail and 110 BP Stab Acrobatics with PRIORITY can dent a lot of mons, and leave them hurting.

Shuckle (Rock) for A Rank

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Knock Off / Toxic / Infestation

Sticky Web and Stealth Rock are mandatory and are the only real reasons to be using Shuckle as offensive Rock-types really need the boost in Speed and Stealth Rock support which turns many 2HKOs into OHKOs. Encore prevents the opponent from easily setting up on Shuckle and eases prediction when switching Shuckle out to a frail, offensive Pokemon. The last slot is very flexible; Knock Off is great for removing Choice Scarf off of the likes of Latios, Diggersby, Heracross, and others, while Toxic is useful for cripping Rapid Spin or Defog users, allowing Shuckle to continue to spam hazards until they faint. Infestation traps the opponent and deals little, yet consistent damage, which can allow you to switch out safely. The Mental Herb almost guarantees that you get at least one hazard up with Shuckle. This is great against Fighting-type leads like Cobalion or Infernape, since Fighting Monotypes usually lack hazard control.

Lots of Rock-types really appreciate Sticky Web support, and Shuckle happens to be the sole provider of them. With it, stuff like Choice Band Terrakion, Choice Band Rhyperior, and Calm Mind Mega Diancie destroy balanced teams a lot more easily. Also, since Rock lacks a good hazard remover, using something like Shuckle on the team to lay down hazards reliably actually helps encourage the opposing team to Defog, clearing out your hazards, which can be well worth it in a few cases. Although Shuckle has few notable resistances, its typing provides it with a Fighting- and Ground-type neutrality, which lets it switch in loads of physical threats and either Encore them or Knock Off their item. It really doesn't do a whole lot else, but it does its main job extremely reliably.
Nominating Shuckle (Rock) for A Rank.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb/Leftovers/Red Card
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Encore
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock

Most of the set is pretty self-explanatory. Mental Herb is slashed first to allow you to ensure at least one hazard when used with Sturdy. Leftovers is another good option to allow Shuckle to last a bit longer, while Red Card can stop set-up sweepers in a pinch, as well as forcing a hazard remover out. Max defense investment was used to capitalize on Shuckle's neutrality to Fighting and Ground. Finally, encore is used to deter the opponent from setting up, and, if shuckle is able to catch a Scizor, Mega Mawile, Gyarados (Mega), Salamence, Dragonite, and many others with an encore, you can switch in the appropriate partner in to OHKO.

Although overshadowed in previous gens as a hazard layer, Gen 6 blessed Shuckle with sticky webs, making Shuckle the only Pokemon with both Stealth Rocks and Sticky webs (Other than Smeargle). This allows Shuckle to carve an extremely useful niche for the team. Many members love support that Sticky webs bring. For instance, Aerodactyl (banded)/Archeops can now outspeed and OHKO Scarf Keldeo, due to the lack of a common spinner on Fighting Monotypes. Also, Shuckle's Bug/Rock typing is extremely valuable on a Rock team, making it neutral to Fighting and Ground, two major problems that the team faces as well. This makes Shuckle a nice switch-in to Close Combat-spamming fighting types, usually getting one or two hazards off, and allowing a partner in safely once Shuckle faints. Bug/Rock typing also doesn't compound any of Rock's other weaknesses, being only 2x weak to Steel, Rock, and Water.

However, Shuckle can do little to nothing against a bad match-up. Water can't stop Shuckle from setting at least one hazard, but it can force it down to KO range and spin away the hazards easily with Tentacruel. Steel, another major problem for Rock, doesn't mind Shuckle much. Sticky Webs allow Bisharp to get the Defiant boost, and most steel mons resist stealth rocks anyways. Lastly, it is notable that Shuckle only has 2 total resistances for a wall, which means that Shuckle will be taking a hit neutrally or super effectively most often.

Last edited:

Acast

Mega Houndoom (Dark) for B Rank

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot / Sunny Day
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb / Hidden Power [Fighting]

Mega Houndoom is great in theory. Above average speed, very high special attack, and strong offensive moves to take advantage of those stats. Nothing about it is completely crippling, but a lot of less-than-perfect aspects prevent it from being A rank. One such thing is its typing. It has 4 weaknesses, all of which are very common coverage moves and can be found on any opposing team regardless of type. Those 4 weaknesses are Ground, Water, Rock, and Fighting. Mega Houndoom actually has passable bulk with 75 base HP and 90 base defenses, but that bulk isn't as helpful when it has 4 very common weaknesses. 2 of which have priority in Mach Punch and Aqua Jet.
Another not-great aspect of Mega Doom is its ability. Solar Power is cool, but when a pokemon has a choice between either 2x special attack (Nasty Plot) or 1.5x special attack while getting Life Orb damage every turn, the fairly obvious choice is Nasty Plot. Since Nasty Plot is better, Solar Power becomes pretty useless. The __ONLY__ reason to use Sunny Day over Nasty Plot is if you decide you are __really__ scared of water moves. Beyond that, Nasty Plot is the better option.
One last thing that Mega Houndoom has to contend for is the one mega slot on your team. It's in competition with the likes of Mega Tyranitar and Mega Absol, both of which excel at what they do, arguably more so than Houndoom.
Houndoom really can sweep once it sets up, but the problem is that too many less-than-perfect qualities add up to make it somewhat outclassed by other options.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Anttyaz said:
Galvantula (Bug) -> A Rank

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball / Hidden Power Ice / Volt Switch

Explanation: Galvantula is arguably the best Sticky Webber for Bug types. It's also one of Bug's best Special Attackers since it gets STAB Thunder to hit Flying and Water types, and maybe even paralyzing them in the process. A 108 speed stat will let Galvantula get the last hit before dying most of time. For its moveset, Sticky Web + Thunder are obvious. Bug Buzz is chosen for STAB, and its ability to hit through Substitutes. The last move is a choice between Energy Ball, HP Ice, and Volt Switch. Energy Ball is for hitting Ground types like Gastrodon and Excadrill. Hidden Power Ice is for Landorus, and Gliscor who'd otherwise wall this set completely. Volt Switch is the most useful vs Flying Monotypes since you can get momentum easier.

Galvantula (Electric) -> D Rank

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball / Hidden Power Ice

Why D rank? Like other Sticky Webbers, Galvantula is only used for Sticky Webs, and unlike Bug, Electric's already fast enough to outspeed a majority of the tier. It's also outclassed in an all out attacker since Thundurus has higher speed and power. One would only use this to abuse Specs + Modest sets. Otherwise, there's no point using Galvantula. The set stays the same, except I feel like Volt Switch isn't that necessary on Electric Monotypes since they have all the Electric STAB they need to hit Flying types.
Really nice write-up, I just wanted to add that after using Galv extensively on Bug to help test Genesect, I'm a massive fan of Thunder Wave in that last slot to help neutralize common leads such as Greninja while still being able to lay Sticky Web. Is also useful if your opponent thinks they can pull a fast one on you by sending out their setup sweeper first to boost before you get a chance to react.

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
Analysis #1

Gliscor for B+ Rank. (please tell me we are doing the + and -)

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Knock Off / Toxic
- Earthquake / Knock Off
Notes: It is usable to switch the Defense EVs for Special Defense

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 184 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Substitute
- Earthquake / knock off

This menacing wall is not a force to play with, for if you're not careful, it can easily destroy your offensive team. While this mon has incredible defenses, and access to one of the greatest abilities introduced, Poison Heal, this mon still has crippling flaws that prevent it from flurishing in monotype, but don't let that fool you. If you let this mon set up a toxic on you, your mon can practically considered done. All while carrying a great second ability, ground, to counter thunderbolt spam that may threaten your team. The main crippling flaw that this mon has is how if you run the wrong set, a whole type may be able to counter you. If you are running a sub toxic gliscor, and you run into a skarmory, there may be some problems that arrive. But nonetheless, this mon is a great asset to any flying team, and can be partnered well with any mon. The only reason it isn't A is how some types as a whole are able to counter this mon. Such as steel, and bulky normal. Or how skarmory, one of the most common mons in the tier counters it completely, no matter how hard you try. It will either be a stalemate, or a battle in favour of your opponent. Yet don't let that deter you away from this machine!

Partners: Skarmory does wonders with this mon, and the two ons go together like bread and butter. Other partners include Togekiss, and various other bulky flying types.

Last edited:
Analysis #1

Gliscor for B+ Rank. (please tell me we are doing the + and -)

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 192 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Knock Off / Toxic
- Earthquake / Knock Off
Notes: It is usable to switch the Defense EVs for Special Defense

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 184 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Substitute
- Earthquake / knock off

This menacing wall is not a force to play with, for if you're not careful, it can easily destroy your offensive team. While this mon has incredible defenses, and access to one of the greatest abilities introduced, Poison Heal, this mon still has crippling flaws that prevent it from flurishing in monotype, but don't let that fool you. If you let this mon set up a toxic on you, your mon can practically considered done. All while carrying a great second ability, ground, to counter thunderbolt spam that may threaten your team. The main crippling flaw that this mon has is how if you run the wrong set, a whole type may be able to counter you. If you are running a sub toxic gliscor, and you run into a skarmory, there may be some problems that arrive. But nonetheless, this mon is a great asset to any flying team, and can be partnered well with any mon. The only reason it isn't A is how some types as a whole are able to counter this mon. Such as steel, and bulky normal. Or how skarmory, one of the most common mons in the tier counters it completely, no matter how hard you try. It will either be a stalemate, or a battle in favour of your opponent. Yet don't let that deter you away from this machine!

Partners: Skarmory does wonders with this mon, and the two ons go together like bread and butter. Other partners include Togekiss, and various other bulky flying types.
We aren't doing + = & - atm since it'll get too cluttered and stuff :[
I'll assume A Rank because rounding ftw.
To be perfectly honest, I think +/=/- ranks are a little too complex. Yeah certain pokemon within A rank are better than others in that same rank, but I'm assuming this is mostly meant to be a guide for new monotype users, so they don't want all these random symbols cluttering up everything. They simply want to know what is useful and how to use it and simple letter ranks without the +/=/- will accomplish that without confusing people too much.
Cast said some good stuff as well ^^

Last edited:

bulky set

ur mom (Staraptor) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- Feather Dance

offensive set

ur dad (Staraptor) @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Double Edge
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Close Combat
I just noticed, that Drew already reserved Staraptor for Normal (Check the reserve list D:) I'll still post your thing though, just check next time x.x

Also, reserving Mega Venusaur for Poison

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)