Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starmie (Water) -> A - Rank
Since Starmie already has an analysis, I will post my reasons why I am making this statement.

Starmie does not work very well of defensive teams, but truly shines on offensive teams. I find Balanced Water a hard medium to find, and I prefer either being fully defensive, or fully offensive so, I find that Tentacruel slows down my momentum too much, therefore using Starmie ameliorates that problem as, they both Spin, and check Mega-Venusaur effectively. Moreover I find that them being in different tiers although they do the same, strange. I could see this a month ago before the Greninja ban, but I find balance is much harder to build, and that one should be one or the other. Tentacruel is the defensive version of Starmie and vice-versa.

If anyone has any argument against this I would love to be challenged, as long as, they are decent arguments.

Mega Diancie S rank on Fairy and Rock
Viable moves:
Moonblast
Diamond Storm
Earth Power
Hidden Power Fire
Calm Mind
Rock Polish
Protect

Mega Diancie has everything a Pokemon should desire - powerful attacks with great STAB and great coverage. It outspeeds most of the metagame and is able to deal a lot of damage before the opponent can make a move. An all out attacking set is preferred with Diamond Storm - Moonblast - Earth Power / HP Fire - Protect. Protect is necessary to get Diancie to mega-evolve safely and not be hindered by its low speed stat before mega-evolving. The rest of the moves can take steel type threats with Earth Power or in some cases HP Fire, Diamond Storm to take out most flying types and Moonblast as high power STAB which is used freely against most types. One can also use a Calm Mind set to boost power to guarantee huge damage to the opponent. Rock Polish is also use-able, in order to outspeed Choice Scarfed Pokemon. It can synergise well with teammates that set up by dealing lots of damage to the things that might wall them before they come in, for example Belly Drum Azumarill on fairy or Dragon Dance Tyranitar on rock.
Its main weakness is steel type priority. Bullet Punch from most things will OHKO Diancie easily, so the player would have to watch out for threats like Scizor (tough as it may be).

Omastar for C-Rank on Mono-Water.(lol)
Omastar @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump/Hidden Power Grass
- Ice Beam
- Scald/Hidden Power Grass
- Knock Off/Hidden Power Grass
Stolen from the OU smogdex for Omastar. Choice Specs boosts its power to godly Keldeo levels. If you slash Hidden Power Grass on one slot, don't put it on the others obviously. Knock Off is unexpected and cripples Eviolite users like Chansey and Porygon2. Under rain, Omastar just becomes a monster, capable of 2hkoing most offensive threats under rain, and denting ones that resist like Ferrothorn with Hydro Pump, and massive spdef walls like Chansey even. Its just ridiculously powerful. Life orb just weakens its power just a tad, as does Timid, but Timid outspeeds monsters like Aerodactyl-M and a few boosted DDancers.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 132-156 (37.5 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chansey in Rain: 390-459 (55.3 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 261-307 (37 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Gastrodon: 364-432 (85.4 - 101.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(more of a testament to Gastrodon's bulkiness tbh)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur in Rain: 174-205 (47.8 - 56.3%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celebi in Rain: 147-173 (36.3 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jirachi in Rain: 294-346 (72.7 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Omastar for A-Rank on Mono-Water.(Maybe B.)
Omastar @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest/Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump/Hidden Power Grass
- Ice Beam
- Scald/Hidden Power Grass
- Knock Off/Hidden Power Grass
Stolen from the OU smogdex for Omastar. Choice Specs boosts its power to godly Keldeo levels. If you slash Hidden Power Grass on one slot, don't put it on the others obviously. Knock Off is unexpected and cripples Eviolite users like Chansey and Porygon2. Under rain, Omastar just becomes a monster, capable of 2hkoing most offensive threats under rain, and denting ones that resist like Ferrothorn with Hydro Pump, and massive spdef walls like Chansey even. Its just ridiculously powerful. Life orb just weakens its power just a tad, as does Timid, but Timid outspeeds monsters like Aerodactyl-M and a few boosted DDancers.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 132-156 (37.5 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chansey in Rain: 390-459 (55.3 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 261-307 (37 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Gastrodon: 364-432 (85.4 - 101.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(more of a testament to Gastrodon's bulkiness tbh)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur in Rain: 174-205 (47.8 - 56.3%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celebi in Rain: 147-173 (36.3 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jirachi in Rain: 294-346 (72.7 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Omastar is definitely not the same rank as Rotom-Wash, Starmie, Tentacruel, Lanturn among others, it would struggle to make B rank in my opinion.
Keldeo outclasses it as a specs user as, it has better Stab coverage, higher base speed without the rain, it hits common eviolite users such as Porygon2 and Chansey for super-effective damage and, can run SubMind, or scarf just as well.

Omastar should only be used in two ways. The first way as a Weak Armour Spiker with Stealth Rock, I think this is pretty straight forward. Moreover the second way is as a Shell Smasher which is not as effective on Water at the moment. I have never seen Omastar be used as effectively as any Pokemon which outclass it at these roles. Keldeo as Specs, any team trying to maintain hazards for the second set, and the plethora of Shell Smashers that Water has access to for the third set. (The forefront of these is Cloyster)

Omastar was much better at these roles when it could be a suicide lead, or a sweeper with 8 turn rain hyper offence.

tl;dr Omastar for C Rank

Omastar is definitely not the same rank as Rotom-Wash, Starmie, Tentacruel, Lanturn among others, it would struggle to make B rank in my opinion.
Keldeo outclasses it as a specs user as, it has better Stab coverage, higher base speed without the rain, it hits common eviolite users such as Porygon2 and Chansey for super-effective damage and, can run SubMind, or scarf just as well.

Omastar should only be used in two ways. The first way as a Weak Armour Spiker with Stealth Rock, I think this is pretty straight forward. Moreover the second way is as a Shell Smasher which is not as effective on Water at the moment. I have never seen Omastar be used as effectively as any Pokemon which outclass it at these roles. Keldeo as Specs, any team trying to maintain hazards for the second set, and the plethora of Shell Smashers that Water has access to for the third set. (The forefront of these is Cloyster)

Omastar was much better at these roles when it could be a suicide lead, or a sweeper with 8 turn rain hyper offence.

tl;dr Omastar for C Rank
How does it struggle to make B or A-Rank? Its a great sweeper, and it has wide coverage with HP Grass/Hydro/Ice and it can cripple all switchins with Knock Off, which Kingdra or Keldeo cannot. If it is going to be forced out anyways by a threat, unlike Keldeo, it can give you more insight to a pokemon's role on an opponent's team with Knock Off. Even with those coverages, it hits 7 types for super effective damage. Add on Earth Power to it and it hits 10 types for super effective damage. In comparison to Kingdra, who I understand is a neutral god, but this is a pretty decent mon, its no slacker. It also hits harder than Kingdra too, and hits along the lines of specs Keldeo in the rain.

Entei

TIMMEHHHHHHHHHHHHhHhhhh
is a Tiering Contributor
How does it struggle to make B or A-Rank? Its a great sweeper, and it has wide coverage with HP Grass/Hydro/Ice and it can cripple all switchins with Knock Off, which Kingdra or Keldeo cannot. If it is going to be forced out anyways by a threat, unlike Keldeo, it can give you more insight to a pokemon's role on an opponent's team with Knock Off. Even with those coverages, it hits 7 types for super effective damage. Add on Earth Power to it and it hits 10 types for super effective damage. In comparison to Kingdra, who I understand is a neutral god, but this is a pretty decent mon, its no slacker. It also hits harder than Kingdra too, and hits along the lines of specs Keldeo in the rain.
Ice beam( that almost every water mon has ) hp grass that literally every Pokemon has, and a stab move aren't coverage moves.

C Rank is fair.

Reactions: RZL
Ice beam( that almost every water mon has ) hp grass that literally every Pokemon has, and a stab move aren't coverage moves.

C Rank is fair.
Tbf his points are valid. And yours are too. I just think at this point, it probably deserves a ranking(a bit less than Seismitoad does at this point on Water.)

How does it struggle to make B or A-Rank? Its a great sweeper, and it has wide coverage with HP Grass/Hydro/Ice and it can cripple all switchins with Knock Off, which Kingdra or Keldeo cannot. If it is going to be forced out anyways by a threat, unlike Keldeo, it can give you more insight to a pokemon's role on an opponent's team with Knock Off. Even with those coverages, it hits 7 types for super effective damage. Add on Earth Power to it and it hits 10 types for super effective damage. In comparison to Kingdra, who I understand is a neutral god, but this is a pretty decent mon, its no
slacker. It also hits harder than Kingdra too, and hits along the lines of specs Keldeo in the rain.
It also does require a bit more support than Keldeo, who has a higher amount of speed outside of rain as well as the capability to hit Special Walls hard with Secret Sword. Without Damp Rock, Omastar can only get 4 turns of rain sweeping in at most, which really does hinder its potential. You also will need to remove certain scarfers to successfully sweep as Omastar's poor speed still don't let it outsped Latios, Terrakion, etc, since they will either threaten to OHKO or scare it out, losing a few turns of rain. I just don't see the point of running Omastar over Starmie who has useful Psychic STAB or Keldeo who has higher speed and Fighting STAB (for the blobs and Ferrothorn) because it just needs more rain support. Because of this, imo, it mainly only fits on full Drizzle teams, which should knock it down to at least B or C.

Starmie (Water) -> A - Rank
Since Starmie already has an analysis, I will post my reasons why I am making this statement.

Starmie does not work very well of defensive teams, but truly shines on offensive teams. I find Balanced Water a hard medium to find, and I prefer either being fully defensive, or fully offensive so, I find that Tentacruel slows down my momentum too much, therefore using Starmie ameliorates that problem as, they both Spin, and check Mega-Venusaur effectively. Moreover I find that them being in different tiers although they do the same, strange. I could see this a month ago before the Greninja ban, but I find balance is much harder to build, and that one should be one or the other. Tentacruel is the defensive version of Starmie and vice-versa.

If anyone has any argument against this I would love to be challenged, as long as, they are decent arguments.
Have you ever tried Reflect Type Starmie?

It beats out a lot of threats to water teams, especially if you invest the right amount of speed. You have scald to threaten with burns, while acting as a status sponge and spinner with reliable recovery.

Also a pokemon's tier is fairly irrelevant to the monotype metagame, where their viability is affected by the options each type has availible to fill roles on a team. It's why this thread exists in the first place.

Reactions: RZL
Omastar has the problem of being outsped by the most common of scarves whether in rain or after a shell-smash. It also lacks a way to capatilize on it's rock STAB via special attacks, unless you'll run stone edge.

It also has a lot of common weaknesses that Water doesn't want to compound; Ground, Fighting; and does nothing to help deal with water's electric/grass weaknesses.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
First monotype nom :)

Mega Altaria A to S (Flying)

I feel Mega Altaria is one of the best mega's in flying next to MegaZard X. Her nice typing change to Dragon/Fairy can really help to Flying mono's thanks to its resistance to electric attacks, and her neutrality to rock type attacks. There is not much I can say on Mega Altaria that has not been already been said. She has a variety of sets it can run, has a great expansive movepool, and is honestly a staple and glue to many Flying mono teams. Running a nice core with Skarmory. RIP Skarmdos :(

P.S she is also neutral to SR :)

Idk just suggesting

Last edited:
First monotype nom :)

Mega Altaria A to S (Flying)

I feel Mega Altaria is one of the best mega's in flying next to MegaZard X. Her nice typing change to Dragon/Fairy can really help to Flying mono's thanks to its resistance to electric attacks, and her neutrality to rock type attacks. There is not much I can say on Mega Altaria that has not been already been said. She has a variety of sets it can run, has a great expansive movepool, and is honestly a staple and glue to many Flying mono teams.

P.S she is also neutral to SR :)

Idk just suggesting
I would say second best Mega on Flying is definitely debatable, and it would be audacious for one to claim otherwise. A-Rank is perfectly fine for Mega Altaria as, it is slightly outclassed as a Dragon Dancer on Flying by Mega Charizard X, and it is equal to Mega Gyarados under the same terms. The rock neutrality is the same on Gyarados, and it also packs a nifty ice resistance. "A staple and glue to many Flying mono teams."...When Mega Charizard X isn't used which is 61% on Charizard and its usage is sitting at 61% as well...

P.S. I do not like when people define a pokemon as one gender unless, it truly is that gender.

I thought I might as well write this up while the news is still new.

The great Monokip for God Rank

Lord Monokip(Mudkip)(M)@Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 Def
Impish Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Yawn/Toxic
-Waterfall
-Rain Dance/Rock Slide

This set is truly a supportive set for Lord Monokip's godly brethren. Rain Dance allows Lord Surskit and Lord Monotyke to become faster and be greater threats to those who are unfortunate enough to face the great trio. Stealth Rock makes it even easier to sweep and Toxic is for general status, while Yawn is to shuffle your opponents around.

If you want to be less of a team player, try this...

Lord Monokip(Mudkip)(M)@Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 SpDef
Careful Nature
-Curse
-Waterfall
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Literally, more power to you if you use this set. CroKip sounds quite nice and you can do great damage at +6.

Look upon the newest member of the Monogods and tremble. As the bodyguard to Lord Monotyke himself, Lord Monokip is defensive and will shrek up anyone that dares challenge the Monogods. Therefore, because of his great contributions, adorableness (and being a Little Cup Water type), Lord Monokip shall receive a God Rank.
Not sure if this has been pointed out but mudkip doesnt learn stealth rocks

Entei

TIMMEHHHHHHHHHHHHhHhhhh
is a Tiering Contributor
Not sure if I can do that but, reserving Volcanion for Fire ( not Water ) , for when it comes out.

Whimsicott (Grass) A -> B

It's not worthy of A Rank but it's still useful.
Can I glean some more insight into why Whimsicott was moved down?
Its such a great addition to grass teams. Stun Spore / Encore / Substitute / Moonblast with leftovers is the set I find myself running most often.
Stun spore slows everything down so that Breloom and Serp can sweep, plus paralyse hax can win match-ups that Grass has trouble with. Encore ruins mons trying to set up or status. If you set up leech seed with Venu or Ferro and switch in, your sub is pretty much recovered after a turn (with no HP investment). And Moonblast stops from being taunted, and with +252 SpAtt can do a fair bit of damage against Dragon and Fighting teams that grass have trouble against, with a chance of a SpA drop. The only difficulty is that you need to bring it in safely but that isn't too difficult once you sack something or just predict a setup and then Prankster encore. I can't see in being in the same league as Tangrowth, Ludi and Rotom-Mow in B-rank, and deserves to move back up to A rank.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Hey Anttya, the link for Excadrill (Ground) goes to the page where you found the sprite, not the analysis lol. This is the post on it so you don't have to search for it n_n
Landorus-Incarnate for S Rank

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave / Psychic
- Gravity / Psychic / Knock Off / Rock Slide

Set Details: Standard special attacking set, taking full advantage of Sheer Force. Earth Power hits neutral targets hard when backed by STAB, Sheer Force and Life Orb. Focus Blast hits several important targets hard, and has generally decent coverage alongside Earth Power. Sludge Wave is vital on this set on Ground monotypes, as it will be the main weapon of choice used against Grass monotypes which Ground struggle with. However Psychic is also a good option here to help break through Mega Venusaur. The last slot is a matter of choice, with Gravity being the primary slash for how useful it is against Flying monotypes and predicted switchins such as Rotom formes. Knock Off and Rock Slide, while uncommon, both have their uses. Knock Off is great for hitting Lati@s and Eviolite users such as Chansey and Porygon2, who would otherwise be decent switchins. Be aware it doesn't get the Sheer Force boost though and will therefore incur LO recoil. Rock Slide is an option to hit Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona and also takes advantage of the Sheer Force boost. If using either of these moves, run a Naive nature and most the last 4 EVs to Attack. Always run max Speed and Special Attack.

Explanation: A great ability in tandem with good Special Attack and a fantastic movepool for it's role on Ground pushes Landorus into S Rank, as it gives Ground a lot of insurance against things that would otherwise trouble it. Access to a bone-shattering Earth Power breaks so many of the physical walls that tend to give Ground problems, and it's coverage and utility help in other difficult matchups, whether it be Sludge Wave and Psychic for tearing through Grass monotypes or Gravity for removing Flying types and Levitate users natural immunity to Ground and allowing Landorus and others to tear them apart with their powerful STAB moves mean that there is rarely a matchup in which Landorus doesn't make a telling contribution. Landorus' only drawback is the 4x weakness to Ice, a natural weakness for Ground, however it's powerful Focus Blast helps to remedy this.

Why S Rank? Unparalleled Special attacking prowess on Ground monotypes along with great coverage and a trolly Speed tier means Landorus is vital to Ground Monotype teams.

Excadrill for S Rank

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb / Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor / Swords Dance / Rapid Spin

Set Details: Pure sweeper set, aiming to hit as many opponents as hard as possible. Excadrill hits hard with it's two powerful STAB moves, and Rock Slide rounds out the coverage. The last slot is a choice between slightly more coverage, a chance to set up and increase it's power or a more supportive option. X-Scissor hits certain Pokemon, largely levitating Psychic types such as Lati@s and is very useful against Psychic monotypes in general. Should you get a chance to set it up, Swords Dance can turn Excadrill into a true powerhouse, nothing will want to take a hit from it at +2. If running Swords Dance, Air Balloon is probably the better option for more set up opportunities. Finally Rapid Spin can be used if Hazard Removal is desired as nothing on Ground can remove them other than the outclassed Flygon. The EV spread is max Speed and Attack, standard for a Physical sweeper. Adamant as you outspeed pretty much everything anyway, the only reason to run Jolly would be to outrun Scarfed Greninja and other Excadrill, which isn't really worth it.

Explanation: One of the deadliest late-game sweepers available in Monotype, Excadrill can be simply impossible to handle thanks to it's great power coming off base 135 Attack and STAB Earthquake, and it's incredible speed under Sand. Even Choice Scarf users are powerless to stop it's rampage unless they have base 115+ Speed, an uncommon sight outside of Greninja.

Why S Rank? Arguably the greatest lategame sweeper in Monotype under sand and something every team has to prepare for, otherwise they will get 6-0'd by it. A top-tier threat.

Hippowdon for S Rank

Hippowdon (M) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 25 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind / Toxic / Rock Slide

Set Details: Earthquake provides powerful STAB for Hippowdon and helps to wear down the Pokemon it walls. Stealth Rock is very useful on Hippowdon, as it has the bulk to set it up several times a game and it wears down opposing Pokemon and breaks sashes that could prevent your Pokemon sweeping. Slack Off provides the recovery that makes Hippowdon such a good physical wall. Whirlwind is useful to rack up hazards damage and phaze set-up sweepers before they become too threatening. Toxic can be useful to wear down opposing walls, and also dissuades opposing set-up sweepers. Rock Slide hits a few useful targets such as Volcarona and Charizard Y, and means Hippowdon isn't totally useless against Flying type and Levitating Pokemon.

Explanation: One of the Sturdiest Physical walls in the game with a great ability to boot, Hippowdon is a common sight on Ground Monotype teams, walling lots of deadly physical sweepers and providing Stealth Rock for the deadly sweepers of Ground. It does well in most matchups, but really struggles in Grass, Water and Ice matchups due to their natural type advantage and the fact these attacking types tend to be Special Attacking. The sand it brings is incredible support to the team, as while it only lasts for 8 turns, it provides great residual damage which can be ever so useful to cancel out leftovers recovery, add that little extra needed to guarantee a KO or break sashes or kill off sash leads without wasting a turn.

Why S Rank? Defines Physical walling almost as well as Skarmory does, it can take incredible punishment yet last through it all, providing support for it's team(notably Excadrill) in the form of sand and Stealth Rock.

Anttyaz done the first three, will do the others tonight or later this week

Amoonguss from Nothing to B rank. (Poison)

(Amoonguss) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Foul Play

252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 72 SpD Assault Vest Amoonguss: 148-176 (34.2 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Pretty good bulk there.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 252 HP / 72 SpD Assault Vest Amoonguss: 134-158 (31 - 36.5%) -- 63.5% chance to 3HKO

Plenty of time to use Giga Drain.

This set is probably my favorite. It has enough defense to bulk defenders when needed but Assault Vest also makes it so he can bulk special hits even more.

(Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]/ Foul Play/ Clear Smog

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Amoonguss: 320-378 (74 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

That is a huge threat to poison and even with all that special defense you still have time to use spore and switch out.

0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 182-216 (42.1 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

That is a specially defense Heatran

This set is a bit harder to use. It is pure specially defensive so you cannot send it in against some threats but the special defense and Black Sludge really easy to switch in to on special attackers. The plus though is Spore which can turn the entire game around.

Overall Amoonguss does pretty well on some Poison type teams that want to use Beedrill as it can serve as a replacement for Venusaur. Amoonguss has a great ability. That ability is Regenerator which allows to switch in and out gaining health. It can easily bulk things that are not super effective and even bulk things that are super effective. It's typing is not the best but not the worst because it gets rid of that ground weakness but also adds a lot of other weaknesses with the grass typing that do not help. Amoonguss cannot tank some of poison's biggest threats like Victini sadly. No matter what Victini will kill Amoonguss even if you invest 252 in to defense, but not even Venusaur can tank Victini. The main thing about it is that it can bulk ground and most neutral types with ease making it a good special defender on a poison team.

Last edited:
Amoonguss from Nothing to B rank. (Poison)

(Amoonguss) (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 72 SpD Assault Vest Amoonguss: 148-176 (34.2 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Pretty good bulk there.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 252 HP / 72 SpD Assault Vest Amoonguss: 134-158 (31 - 36.5%) -- 63.5% chance to 3HKO

Plenty of time to use Giga Drain.

This set is probably my favorite. It has enough defense to bulk defenders when needed but Assault Vest also makes it so he can bulk special hits even more.

(Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Amoonguss: 320-378 (74 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

That is a huge threat to poison and even with all that special defense you still have time to use spore and switch out.

0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 182-216 (42.1 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

That is a specially defense Heatran

This set is a bit harder to use. It is pure specially defensive so you cannot send it in against some threats but the special defense and Black Sludge really easy to switch in to on special attackers. The plus though is Spore which can turn the entire game around.

Overall Amoonguss does pretty well on some Poison type teams that want to use Beedrill as it can serve as a replacement for Venusaur. Amoonguss has a great ability. That ability is Regenerator which allows to switch in and out gaining health. It can easily bulk things that are not super effective and even bulk things that are super effective. It's typing is not the best but not the worst because it gets rid of that ground weakness but also adds a lot of other weaknesses with the grass typing that do not help. Amoonguss cannot tank some of poison's biggest threats like Victini sadly. No matter what Victini will kill Amoonguss even if you invest 252 in to defense, but not even Venusaur can tank Victini. The main thing about it is that it can bulk ground and most neutral types with ease making it a good special defender on a poison team.
Nice writeup! I agree with the rank and everything. The one thing I'd do is slash Clear Smog with Hidden Power on the second set since Amoongus's niche is that it can reliably stop Mega Sableye. Otherwise, everything looks great!

Welcome to Smogon c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)