1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

My first Competitive team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Kate396, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Kate396

Kate396

This is my first competitive team, so I just wanted some input on it, it's for my third gen games. I'm open to any constructive criticism.

I decided to make it, for a few reasons, the first is, I can't even get through the first few levels of Orre Colosseum in Pokemon XD, and the Battle frontier in both emerald and Platinum. the second is I recently battled a friend, and they kicked my @ss like it was nothing. I knew I was more bark than bite, but that was ridiculous. The final reason is I've been into the Pokemon games for a while now, and I've never done this before, and I thought it might be interesting to try out competitive battling.

Special Sweeper[​IMG]
    Alakazam @ Twisted Spoon
    Trait: Synchronize
    Max IVs: Special attack/Speed/Defense
    EVs: 252 Special attack/129 speed/ 129 Defense
    Nature: Modest
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Calm Mind
    ~ Thunder Punch
    ~ Ice Punch
    It seems like if a Pokemon is a strong attacker, it also has a semi strong defense, and is semi weak in Special Defense, and vice versa so with Alakazam I decided to max out its special attack, but split the rest of it's EV's between it's speed and defense, figuring that if I send him out to attack a Pokemon that has a weak special defense, it will probably have a strong attack. If that makes sense. As for strategy, I pretty much just plan to attack with whatever works best, that's about it.

Physical Sweeper [​IMG]
    Salamence @ ???
    Trait: Intimidate
    Max IVs: Attack/Speed/Special Defense
    EVs: 252 Attack/129 Speed/129 Special Defense
    Nature: Adamant
    ~ Double Edge
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Fly
    ~ Dragon Dance
    Salamance I am using as the opposite of my special sweeper, maxing out it's attack, and then splitting the rest of speed and special defense. My strategy is most likely going to be spamming double edge, when I was younger and playing through Pokemon XD gale of darkness, I remember fly being my best move so that's why I have it now.

Mixed Sweeper [​IMG]
    Arcanine @ ???
    Trait: Intimidate/Flash Fire (I'm torn, they're both good.)
    Max IVs: Attack/Special Attack/Speed
    EVs: 252 Attack/252 Special Attack/3 Defense/3 Special Defense
    Nature: Serious/Hardy/Quirky/Docile/Bashful
    ~ Overheat
    ~ Sunny Day
    ~ Hyper Beam
    ~ Double Edge
    If I think I can take a pokemon out with a single overheat, I probably won't bother using Sunny day. That's the closest to a strategy I've got, and because he is going to be both a physical and special sweeper, I plan max out both of his attack EV's and split the rest between the defenses

Wall [​IMG]
    Ludicolo @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rain Dish
    Max IVs: Defense/Special defense/HP
    EVs: 129 Defense/129 Special defense/252 HP
    Nature: Bold
    ~ Rain Dance
    ~ Leech Seed
    ~ Gigga Drain
    ~ Toxic
    with Ludicolo, I really wish that he learned baton pass, that would be awesome strategically. Rain dance upon sending the Pokemon out, leech seed, Toxic, and finally spam Gigga Drain.

Baton Passer [​IMG]
    Smeargle @ Focus Band
    Trait: Own Tempo
    Max IVs: Defense/Special Defense/HP
    EVs: 252 Defense/252 Special Defense/6 HP
    Nature: Jolly/Timid
    ~ Ingrain
    ~ Bellydrum
    ~ Tail Glow
    ~ Baton Pass
    Finally with Smeargle, I will max out his defense, hopefully so that he can survive a few hits. Using ingrain first, doing three tail glows, a belly drum, and then finally Baton Passing to one of my sweepers. I can skip Belly drum or Tail glow depending on the sweeper.

I still need another wall, this wall I need to last a few turns against both physical and Special opponents, basically it's going to be my anchor, my Pokemon cockroach in the event of a nuclear attack. I plan to max out defense everything on this Pokemon. My strategy would be to remain stocked in necessary items, and in the event that the rest of my team is wiped out, I can send him out last, and revive the rest of my team.

There are a few walls that I've heard a lot of good things about, them being:

[​IMG]
    Skarmory – unfortunatly its special defense stat is higher than it's physical stat, I would prefer something with more equal stats.

[​IMG]
    Blissy – I have heard great things about Blissy, but I've tested it a bit, and it was killed easily by Pokemon with strong physical attacks. Otherwise, I believe Blissy would be Perfect. If there is any way to bulk it up defensively, I would love to know.

[​IMG]
    Shuckle - I was thinking about using Shuckle, for it's amazing Defense stats, but the rest of its stats suck, including HP, so I really don't know what to do. That's about it.
  2. Im Skalayle

Im Skalayle

I like what you are thinking but this team can use some improvements.

First of For zam i would suggest this set

Alakazam @ Life orb
    Trait: Magic guard
    EVs: 252 Special attack/252 speed/ 4 Hp
    Nature: Modest
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Hp Fire (For Scizors Ferros etc)
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Signal Beam(THose dark types that get in the way)

Magic Guard will cancel out the Life orb damage and it boost your attacks more.Zam is not a great physical attack at all its base attack is 50 so physical attacks are terrible on it.If you dont want to run the LO set use Focus sash Zam is really Frail and dies to easy.

Now on to the Salamance

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Hp
    ~ Outrage
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Dragon Claw
    ~ Aqua Tail

Scarf will increase the speed and with moxie every pokemon that it forces to faint it will gain +1 attack.Dragon Claw is just in case you dont want to be locked into a move and cant switch out if it is needed.

Arcanine @ Life Orb
    Trait: Intimidate/Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Hp
    ~ Flare Blitz
    ~ Extreme speed
    ~ Close Combat/Wildcharge
    ~ Morning Sun

This allows Arcanine to be the attacker that you wanted it to be but with its best moves and full potential

I Think you should Sack Ludi for Rotom-W.The average Rotom-W spd set works wonders

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
    ~ Volt Switch
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp
    ~ Pain Split

you wanted another wall well skarmory is good but Gliscor is good also

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Trait:Poison Heal
    EVs: 252HP/252Def/4Atk
    Nature: Impish
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Protect
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Toxic/Ice Fang/SR

I Hope this help :]]

3. Kate396

Kate396

Thank you, but actually this is for my third Gen games, But I will keep that in mind when sending them over to my other generations. Thanks. :)

and as for my other wall, I've done some digging around and I've decided on a dusclops. I haven't figured out the moves yet, but when I do, I'll post it here. I'll try to have it up ASAP.
  4. Kate396

Kate396

Here it is. :)

Wall[​IMG]
    Dusclops @ ???
    Trait: Pressure
    Max IVs: Defense/Special Defense/HP
    EVs: 252 Defense/252 Special Defense/6 HP
    Nature: Relaxed
    ~ Will-O-Wisp
    ~ Confuse Ray
    ~ Safeguard
    ~ Shadow Ball
    I already described how I'm going to be using dusclops, as a last resort wall so that I can use items to heal the rest of my team, if Items are allowed in the particular battle, if not, I suppose Blissey would be the better bet, but for now I'm sticking with dusclops. When he's out in battle, I would safeguard first, followed up by will-o-wisp and confuse ray, and finally sticking to shadow ball.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)