My First RMT (NP Mew team)

Introduction:

Hi everyone! I’m R. Walton (I don’t post much here or on PS! so I doubt anyone knows me) and this my first RMT, so take it easy on me :P. I made this team a few weeks ago (around the time the Weavile retest started) and it’s built around NP Mew (sort of). I don’t want to bore you with a long introduction so let’s just get to the team. (Why do I use so many brackets?)

The Team:

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail

Rhyperior has been pretty useful on this team. It’s my main check to strong physical attackers like Victini, Darmanitan, and Honchkrow. In addition to that, Rhyperior can switch into some dangerous special attackers such as Mega Houndoom and Mega Manectric if it doesn’t have HP Grass. Rhyperior is also the Stealth Rock setter for the team. The moveset and EVs are standard. I prefer Dragon Tail to Megahorn because it can rack up entry hazard damage pretty well while also helping against set up sweepers. I've also been considering Rock Blast over Stone Edge for Sub Chandelure and Honchkrow, what do you guys think?

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball

This is the Pokémon I built the team around. I wanted to use NP Mew because it can set up on some really common Pokémon, namely, Florges-which is pretty much everywhere-and Crocune. Honestly, I don’t find myself sweeping with Mew that often since it’s kinda slow but if it gets a boost it can do a lot of damage and help something else (usually Mienshao) clean up. I prefer Lefties to Life Orb because it makes setting up multiple boosts or setting up multiple times easier. The moveset is pretty simple. Psyshock is STAB and also hits Florges and AV Snorlax hard; Fire Blast hits Megagron and other Steels; and Energy Ball is to KO Mega Blastoise (after SR), Rhyperior and Swampert before they can kill/phase Mew.

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

I chose Heracross to try and take advantage of special walls and Dark types that like to switch Mew, for example, Umbreon. I think CBCross is kinda underprepared for, I’ve seen quite a few teams with absolutely nothing that can switch in to it. Anyway, like all the sets on this team, it’s pretty simple. Megahorn and CC are STAB; Knock off hits Ghosts and also makes item-reliant Pokémon (ex. the Nidos) easier to deal with; Stone Edge is pretty much just for Crobat (I’ve been considering replacing this with Earthquake to hit the Nidos harder while still getting the 2HKO on defensive Arcanine).

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes

I don’t really remember why I added Roserade but it’s the only Pokémon on the team that can switch into and beat the very common Mega Blastoise. It also gives me another check to Crocune and CMBro which is always nice to have. I run Black Sludge because I found Roserade killed itself very quickly with a Life Orb. I’m not really sure about the fourth move in this set. I’ve currently been running Spikes but I rarely find time to set them up. I’ve also used Rest here for recovery but being forced to switch out every time I use it is annoying.

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SAtk / 68 Spd
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

I originally ran a Specs Rotom-H here but the team was really weak to Cloyster and Weavile (before it was sent back to BL). MegaStoise checked both of these pretty well while still hitting very hard, it also gave me another check to MegaDoom which is nice. The 68 Speed EVs let Blastoise outspeed min. Speed Rotom-H and Suicune so I can kill weakened ones before they can heal. I’m running Scald over Hydro Pump mainly because I got tired of missing (the burn chance is also nice) but if there are any important KOs I’m missing out on I’ll change it back. Since nothing in this team is very hazard weak I don’t think Rapid Spin is that useful so I’m running Ice Beam to hit Shaymin, Flygon, Roserade, etc.

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Mieshao stops many dangerous sweepers (ex. NP Azelf, Honchkrow, etc.) from running through the team. It also makes a pretty good scout early game gaining momentum with U-turn; and cleans up at the end with HJK, once everything's weakened. Anyway, I don’t really have anything more to say about this, so I’ll just get to the threat list.

Threat list(Not in any order):

Nidoking and Nidoqueen: Nothing in the team can switch into these two.
LO Starmie: Same as the above if it runs Tbolt, Psyshock and Hydro Pump.
LO Shell Smash Cloyster: Can KO Blastoise with +2 Rock Blast after a little damage, though it has trouble setting up.
Chandelure: I don’t have a switch-in to Specs or LO Shadow Ball.

Incomplete, will add more when I have time.

Conclusion:

Thanks for taking the trouble of reading this, I’m sure my noobiness was painful for some of you :p. This team’s done okay by my (lowly) standards (around 1400 ELO, 1650 Glicko on PS) but I’m sure you guys will be able find lots of improvements. Like I mentioned before, this is my first RMT so if there’s anything wrong with the format please tell me. Obviously, any advice is appreciated. Anyway, the importable is below in case anyone wants it.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SAtk / 68 Spd
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
On blastoise, I would recommend running rapid spin over ice beam or aura sphere. His niche is being the single best spinner in UU due to his bulk, power, and ability to thrash spinblockers with its "STAB" dark pulse. Also, water pulse is more powerful than scald (because mega launcher) and has a 30% chance to confuse rather than burn.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah you should really run Rapid Spin on Blastoise, mainly because your team is really weak to Sticky Web and Spikes so removing them is much appreciated. Scald vs. Water Pulse is slightly more controversial since the burn chance is always nice but limits your ability to check Synchronize Mew and Umbreon, so that's more down to personal preference.

Anyway the easiest way to fix your weakness to the Nidos + Starmie is to use a bulkier spread on Mew with the moves Nasty Plot | Psyshock | Roost | either Baton Pass or Will-O-Wisp. The added bulk + recovery allows it to switch in relatively comfortably while also allowing it to set up Nasty Plots with greater ease and either rack up boosts or BP out into one of your special attackers. Like you said NP Mew can't really sweep whole teams since it's too slow, so a bulkier NP set allows it to function better as a stallbreaker or support its teammates to allow them to wallbreak as well.

Also you're weak to LO Mienshao and Scarf MoxieCross so you may want to consider Protect > Dragon Tail on Rhyperior and Aerial Ace > Stone Edge on Mienshao. Protect lures Mienshao and pressures it to U-turn out so it can't dent your team with HJK as easily (also scouts + gets extra Lefties), and Aerial Ace outspeeds and OHKOes Heracross unlike your other moves which prevents it from sweeping you. Oh yeah and you should probably be running Rock Blast on Rhyperior as well since it's more reliable and as you stated allows you to check Sub Chandy + Honchkrow easier.

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Baton Pass / Will-O-Wisp

Blastoise: either Ice Beam or Aura Sphere --> Rapid Spin

Rhyperior: Stone Edge --> Rock Blast, Dragon Tail --> Protect

Mienshao: Stone Edge --> Aerial Ace

On blastoise, I would recommend running rapid spin over ice beam or aura sphere. His niche is being the single best spinner in UU due to his bulk, power, and ability to thrash spinblockers with its "STAB" dark pulse. Also, water pulse is more powerful than scald (because mega launcher) and has a 30% chance to confuse rather than burn.
Yeah you should really run Rapid Spin on Blastoise, mainly because your team is really weak to Sticky Web and Spikes so removing them is much appreciated. Scald vs. Water Pulse is slightly more controversial since the burn chance is always nice but limits your ability to check Synchronize Mew and Umbreon, so that's more down to personal preference.

Anyway the easiest way to fix your weakness to the Nidos + Starmie is to use a bulkier spread on Mew with the moves Nasty Plot | Psyshock | Roost | either Baton Pass or Will-O-Wisp. The added bulk + recovery allows it to switch in relatively comfortably while also allowing it to set up Nasty Plots with greater ease and either rack up boosts or BP out into one of your special attackers. Like you said NP Mew can't really sweep whole teams since it's too slow, so a bulkier NP set allows it to function better as a stallbreaker or support its teammates to allow them to wallbreak as well.

Also you're weak to LO Mienshao and Scarf MoxieCross so you may want to consider Protect > Dragon Tail on Rhyperior and Aerial Ace > Stone Edge on Mienshao. Protect lures Mienshao and pressures it to U-turn out so it can't dent your team with HJK as easily (also scouts + gets extra Lefties), and Aerial Ace outspeeds and OHKOes Heracross unlike your other moves which prevents it from sweeping you. Oh yeah and you should probably be running Rock Blast on Rhyperior as well since it's more reliable and as you stated allows you to check Sub Chandy + Honchkrow easier.

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Baton Pass / Will-O-Wisp

Blastoise: either Ice Beam or Aura Sphere --> Rapid Spin

Rhyperior: Stone Edge --> Rock Blast, Dragon Tail --> Protect

Mienshao: Stone Edge --> Aerial Ace
Hi, thanks for rating. I'll definitely change Ice Beam for Rapid Spin on Blastoise. I'm surprised I didn't realize how weak this team is to Sticky Web before since I see Galvantula every 2-3 games. Anyway, the other changes also look interesting and I'll definitely try them out. Thanks again.

[EDIT] Update: Finally got down to testing these suggestions and they've definitely improved the team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)