My first try at a stall Team (or something like that)

Alright, I was bored one day, and decided to make a stall team, mainly because i haven't ever tried to make one. I spent a few hours negotiating on team building with a friend on another forum. My results with the team have been somewhat mixed, and I've lost the majority of games I've played with it. And so that's why I have to turned to you good people here at RMT.

My team at a glance:

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

Alright, so I thought about who would make a good lead with Stealth Rock support, while simultaneously contributing as a great Stalling pokemon to support the team. The first thing i thought of was Bronzong.

Next I was thinking of somebody who could provide toxic spikes support, and be bulky enough to take a few hits. I thought of Roserade, but I decided that Tentacruel would be better for the job.

Next I needed a Phazer, so Baton Pass teams are more manageable, but I still needed some good bulk. Suicune fits the job, and can also be a boosting sweeper in a pinch.

((Uh-oh, I have two bulky waters now. Kinda not necessary, so I'm definitely up for suggestions here.))

Next I needed a spin blocker, and Rotom-A is arguably the best one out there.

Blissey. Blissey is arguably the best special wall in the game. She can stall out almost any special attacker to their demise. Sounds perfect for a team dedicated to such stall right?

Gliscor. Hmm...I honestly didn't think much about this last slot. All it really does for me is provide another switch in to any EQs headed at Tentacruel (whcih bronzong can already do) and provide some more physical bulk to my team. I'm definitely looking for suggestions here, as Gliscor is kinda weird for a stall team.

Movesets, EV spreads, and Natures.

Bronzong @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP, 86 Atk, 80 Def, 92 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Sassy Nature
Ability: Levitate

Moves:
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Gyro Ball
Light Screen.

Stealth Rock is key to any Stall team, and any team in general. Earthquake dents quite a lot of things, and has great type coverage. Gyro Ball doesn't have great type coverage, but hits hard on things that don't resist it. Light Screen is there instead of Explosion mainly because the ultimate goal of a stall team is to keep as many members alive as possible, and Light screen has saved my butt a few times before, even if it does last only a few turns. I'm considering making this bronzong a Duel Screen lead with Light Clay instead of Leftovers. Suggestions?

Tentacruel @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP, 120 Spe, 136 SpD
Calm Nature
Ability: Liquid Ooze

Moveset:
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Sludge Bomb
Surf

Toxic Spikes can come in handy for sure. I always try to keep Tentacruel alive as long as possible so if the likes of Pokes like Gengar and Roserade absorb them I can kill them off and come back into tentacruel (not a foolproof method I know). Rapid Spin is handy for getting rid of Spikes and SR to keep my team running strong. Surf and Sludge Bomb can do some damage to whatever I'm in against in a pinch.

Suicune @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP, 236 Def, 20 SpA
Bold nature.
Ability: Pressure

Moveset:
Surf
Calm Mind
Roar
Rest

Ah the good ol' water dog. Roar has saved my butt sooo many times. Roar just destroys ninjask leads and can ruin Baton Pass chains. Calm mind can help Suicune take a few hits and help surf do some unexpected damage. Rest can help me heal, but the two turns of sleep kinda sucks.

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf

EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 SpA
Timid Nature
Ability: Levitate

Moveset:
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Overheat
Trick

Premise is simple here. Switch into a Rapid SPinner, trick the scarf, and proceed to stall/and or do some damage with T-bolt, Shadow Ball and overheat. Between those three moves I get superb coverage of the OU tier. This moveset works fine, but I'm looking into other ones. Once again, suggestions are taken.

Blissey @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 Def, 80 SpA, 176 SpD
Calm Nature
Ability: Natural Cure

Moveset:
Wish
Protect
Flamethrower
Toxic

Ah Blissey. Since my team doesn't really have a reliable recovery source (well except maybe Suicune and Gliscor but...) Wish support is a must. WIsh and Protect can create what seems like endless stall to special attackers. Flamethrower can hurt some fire types and Toxic is there since I don't always get the chance to set up Toxic spikes with tentacruel.

EDIT:
Skarmory (Was Gliscor) ((Moveset, EVs, courtesy of TheFourthChaser))

Skarmory@Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 176 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
-Spikes
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Whirlwind

Skarmory fills half of the "Skarmbliss" combo, and can be frightening. Stall teams rely greatly on residual damage, and If i'm able to get SR, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes up, I proceed to Whirlwind them away and wreak havoc on the other team, while simultaneously scouting out the other teams, and if I Roar into something, like say, a special attacker I can easily switch in to blissey and take the hit. Roost Helps me get some health back from Brave Bird, and/or damage he's taken in battle. I run Shed Shell because Magnezone scares the crap out of me.

And With that, I bid you people farewell. Thanks in advance for helping my team out.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
You mentioned wanting to replace Gliscor so why not make the classic Skarmbliss combo,

Skarmory@Leftovers/Shed Shell
Impish Nature
-Spikes
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Whirlwind

With Skarmory you keep your Ground switch-in and sandstorm immunity while gaining a spiker to wear the enemy team down faster. If you're worried about getting trapped by Magnezone you can run Shed Shell over Leftovers.

You mentioned wanting to replace Gliscor so why not make the classic Skarmbliss combo,

Skarmory@Leftovers/Shed Shell
Impish Nature
-Spikes
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Whirlwind

With Skarmory you keep your Ground switch-in and sandstorm immunity while gaining a spiker to wear the enemy team down faster. If you're worried about getting trapped by Magnezone you can run Shed Shell over Leftovers.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll try it out and see how it works for me. =)

I think you should take toxic off of blissey and either make it t-wave or seismic toss. i prefer the latter cuz if not ull have a real hard time hurting heatran especially if u put in skarmory over gliscor.
I also think ud be better off running a full defensive rotom-h instead of a scarf varient. Since ur running stall u dont want him to get trapped and pursuit'ed and lose a valuable piece of ur stalling core. There are also more versitile sets that i think would be more useful for ur team, id suggest:

Rotom-h @ Leftovers
Bold 252 HP/ 188 Def/ 88 Speed
- Will-o-Wisp
- Overheat
- T-bolt
- Shadow ball

this is the standard spin blocker and i feel it will suit your team much better.

2 suggestions:

Blissey@Leftovers
Bold
252HP/252 Def/6 SpD
-Seismic Toss
-Toxic
-Wish
-Protect

Hippodown @leftovers
Impish
252 hp/168 def/88 spD
Earthquake
Slack Off
Stealth Rock
Ice Fang

Make Hippo your lead to get Sandstream going to stall/wear down some more. I use a stall team and both of these work great for me.

2 suggestions:

Blissey@Leftovers
Bold
252HP/252 Def/6 SpD
-Seismic Toss
-Toxic
-Wish
-Protect

Hippodown @leftovers
Impish
252 hp/168 def/88 spD
Earthquake
Slack Off
Stealth Rock
Ice Fang

Make Hippo your lead to get Sandstream going to stall/wear down some more. I use a stall team and both of these work great for me.
I'll try these suggestions and see if they work thanks :)

I think you should take toxic off of blissey and either make it t-wave or seismic toss. i prefer the latter cuz if not ull have a real hard time hurting heatran especially if u put in skarmory over gliscor.
I also think ud be better off running a full defensive rotom-h instead of a scarf varient. Since ur running stall u dont want him to get trapped and pursuit'ed and lose a valuable piece of ur stalling core. There are also more versitile sets that i think would be more useful for ur team, id suggest:

Rotom-h @ Leftovers
Bold 252 HP/ 188 Def/ 88 Speed
- Will-o-Wisp
- Overheat
- T-bolt
- Shadow ball

this is the standard spin blocker and i feel it will suit your team much better.
Umm those EVs go well over 510 >_>

I just dumped the rest of the EVs in to SpD instead of speed.

But thanks for the Moveset, what nature would you reccomend?

And Skarmory has been giving me good results, so a big shout out to TheFourthChaser

I think it's supposed to be 168 and Bold like in the analysis. The speed EV's are to outrun Adamant Scizor but they'll probably just Bullet Punch or switch anyway.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
People who claim "skarmbliss" is some kind of magic combo and then leave your stall team in this state are not the people you should be taking advice from. I'm just saying.

Anyway, your stall team kind of sucks. I mean, that's pretty normal; stall's probably the hardest kind of team to build and your idea of competitive Pokemon is that a pure BP team is a common threat. I'd try and "patch" your team but honestly I'd rebuild it all the way, so I might as well just tell you what's wrong with your stall team building approach and one way (not the only way) to build a decent stall team.

Bronzong is a "stally pokemon", and hey, you're building a stall team, so use Bronzong, right? Oh, I need a phazer, random pokemon x knows phazing move, let's put that on! That's not really the way I like to do it... Basically, you should start by figuring out what you need to make your stall as effective as possible. Make a "laundry list" of sorts, sort it in order of importance, and most of all, don't just add the first thing you can think of that learns that move to the team. Carefully analyze your options for the suppliers of each move and how they work together.

So say, hypothetically, you really want your stall team to be based around getting out and keeping out switching damage and generally keeping your opponents' Pokemon out of play as much as possible. It's a pretty common stall tactic, so I'll run with it for the sake of example. This would need Spikes and Stealth Rock for certain, heavy use of psuedo hazers, and a general need to keep your team healthy while ensuring your entry hazards remain in play. Stuff like Toxic Spikes and Wish would be cool but you don't need them, so they're lesser priority. Again, this is assuming you take this approach to stall; this "laundry list" changes depending on what you want to accomplish and how you want to do it and is ultimately up to you.

For this example, the list would look like this, in this order:
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Ghost Type
Psuedo-Hazing
Weather
Wish
Toxic Spikes
Status

Then you list the Pokemon good at any particular task, so you can see what does more than one and what moves have limited options so you know your constraints.

Stealth Rock - a whole ton of shit
Spikes - Skarmory, Forretress
Ghost - Rotom, Spiritomb
Psuedo-Hazing - Skarmory, Hippowdon, Suicune, (A whole ton of shit)
Weather - Hippowdon, Tyranitar
Wish - Jirachi, Blissey, Clefable,
Toxic Spikes - Roserade, Tentacruel
Status - A whole ton of shit

From there you basically figure out what your team HAS TO have (stall teams will probably always have Skarmory, for example), then you use any remaining Pokemon to fill gaps, cover the weaknesses your team has, counter and check Pokemon, all while incorporating as much of the laundry list as possible. Making sure everything on the team contributes both as a defensive Pokemon and directly through the use of supporting moves is vital. And there you have stall.

Good luck!

People who claim "skarmbliss" is some kind of magic combo and then leave your stall team in this state are not the people you should be taking advice from. I'm just saying.
I never said it was a magic combo, i just know it works well.

Chris is me said:
Anyway, your stall team kind of sucks.
Gee thanks =P. Well it's my first time and I'm trying new things to see what best suits me.

Chris is me said:
So say, hypothetically, you really want your stall team to be based around getting out and keeping out switching damage and generally keeping your opponents' Pokemon out of play as much as possible.
That's what I'm trying to accomplish yes.

Chris is me said:
Bronzong is a "stally pokemon", and hey, you're building a stall team, so use Bronzong, right? Oh, I need a phazer, random pokemon x knows phazing move, let's put that on! That's not really the way I like to do it... Basically, you should start by figuring out what you need to make your stall as effective as possible.
That's not what I did. I actually put hours in to thinking about who should go on my team and who does what best. Don't be so quick to assume i put random things on (although I did kinda imply that in my Team Building process, but I didn't spend that much time on it because I had to go somewhere.)

Chris is me said:
For this example, the list would look like this, in this order:
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Ghost Type
Psuedo-Hazing
Weather
Wish
Toxic Spikes
Status
Umm I kinda already have all of those. Hippowdon checks Weather and SR. Skarmory has Spikes and Pseudo-Hazing. Bliss has wish, Tentacruel has TS, and Blissey has status. Rotom is a ghost type and Suicune can Haze.

EDIT: Oops forgot to mention I added Hippowdon as my lead instead of Bronzong. yeah I'm currently testing that now and it works better.

Chris is me said:
From there you basically figure out what your team HAS TO have (stall teams will probably always have Skarmory, for example), then you use any remaining Pokemon to fill gaps, cover the weaknesses your team has, counter and check Pokemon, all while incorporating as much of the laundry list as possible. Making sure everything on the team contributes both as a defensive Pokemon and directly through the use of supporting moves is vital. And there you have stall.
Makes sense to me thanks.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I never said it was a magic combo, i just know it works well.
Don't worry, I was dissing a team rater, not you. :)

The thing is, there isn't anything that makes "skarmory and blissey" together any good. They're just both defensive pokemon, so you'll find them on stall teams sometimes together. But they really don't have anything to do with each other.

Gee thanks =P. Well it's my first time and I'm trying new things to see what best suits me.
And that's good! Though, building a stall team from scratch basically requires you to have played months of Pokemon, so as dumb as it seems I'd suggest you borrow one first.

That's not what I did. I actually put hours in to thinking about who should go on my team and who does what best. Don't be so quick to assume i put random things on (although I did kinda imply that in my Team Building process, but I didn't spend that much time on it because I had to go somewhere.)
My mistake I guess. It just seemed the choices of Bronzong, Suicune, and Gliscor seemed completely random.

Umm I kinda already have all of those. Hippowdon checks Weather and SR. Skarmory has Spikes and Pseudo-Hazing. Bliss has wish, Tentacruel has TS, and Blissey has status. Rotom is a ghost type and Suicune can Haze.
You just missed my entire point. It was basically a guide on how to build a stall team, not a specific critique of how yours should be. You have to evaluate what's important and why you need it on the team, and who the best Pokemon for each job are relative to ecah other, something you clearly didn't do when you had Suicune and Bronzong on the team.

I'm off to bed now. Good luck!

Don't worry, I was dissing a team rater, not you. :)

The thing is, there isn't anything that makes "skarmory and blissey" together any good. They're just both defensive pokemon, so you'll find them on stall teams sometimes together. But they really don't have anything to do with each other.

And that's good! Though, building a stall team from scratch basically requires you to have played months of Pokemon, so as dumb as it seems I'd suggest you borrow one first.

My mistake I guess. It just seemed the choices of Bronzong, Suicune, and Gliscor seemed completely random.

You just missed my entire point. It was basically a guide on how to build a stall team, not a specific critique of how yours should be. You have to evaluate what's important and why you need it on the team, and who the best Pokemon for each job are relative to ecah other, something you clearly didn't do when you had Suicune and Bronzong on the team.

I'm off to bed now. Good luck!
Alright thanks for the suggestions.

I best be off to bed myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)