My OU Team

Lead/Spiker

Frosslass
@Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe (Timid)

~ Ice Beam
~ Spikes
~ Taunt
~ Destiny Bond

Bascally Frosslass's only purpose is to set up spikes and then take someone down with her when she dies. Taunt is there for those who want to try to status Frosslass, or set up their own entry hazards, and Ice beam is there in case Frosslass gets taunted herself, or just to kill things weak to Ice Beam

Staller

Jellicent
@Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Sp Def (Calm)

~ Surf
~ Will-o-Wisp
~ Recover
~ Protect

This one is kinda of a no-brainer. Surf for killing fire types (who are immune to will-o-wisp) and as a STAB move. Will-o-Wisp burns things. Recovers heals, and protect stalls out leftovers recovery and burn damage. Jellicent also acts as a great switch in to any water attacks I predict coming my way.

Special Attackers

Hydreigon
@Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe (Modest)

~ Dark Pulse
~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast
~ Focus Blast?

Dark Pulse and Draco Meteor are there for STAB moves. Fire blast to kill the ever common steel types. Focus Blast I'm not sure of. It takes out stuff like Tyranitar or Heatran but many times I lose games due to it missing,thus making me sometimes rather use Surf. Hydreigon normally has only ok speed for today's meta, so he carries a Choice scarf to solve that issue, which has saved me many times. H

Magnezone
@Wise Glasses
Ability: Magnet Rise
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 180 Spe (Modest)

~ Thunderbolt
~ Flash Cannon
~ Hidden Power (Fire)
~ Signal Beam

Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon serve as reliable STABS, signal beam takes out grass, psychic, and dark types, and especially murders celebi. Hidden Power fire makes Magnezone the steel killer of my team with magnet pull. I see an annoying Scizor or Ferrothorn? I just send in Magnezone and kill them with HP Fire.

Physical Attackers

Mienshao
@Life Orb
Ability: Regenerate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe (Jolly)

~ Fake Out
~ Hi Jump Kick
~ U-Turn
~ Taunt

Lol, flinch and flee fun. Carries Life Orb to hit hard. Hi Jump Kick serves as a STAB move, which does a great job at decimating anything weak to it. Taunt is there for anything that wants to try and status Mienshao, or for annoying stuff like Whimiscott. Life Orb works perfectly with Mienshao thx to his ability Regenerate.

Garchomp
@Choice band
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe (Jolly)

~ Earthquake
~ Outrage
~ Stone Edge
~ Fire Fang

Garchomp is my prime hard hitter. This is the typical choice band garchomp set. Earhquake and Outrage for STAB blah blah blah. Stone edge for flying and Ice Types. Fire Fang for Steels.

Right o the first thing that jumps out at me is your Jellicent set, Scald, Shadow Ball/Hex and filler is standard for a reason, because it works really well. Dunno just my opinion. Also, for Mienshao, Taunting Whismicott aint gonna work BTW, it has priority Taunt and will Taunt you first.

Also here's the Jelly set I was talking about (no Evs just moves)

Boiling Water/Surf
Hex/Shadow Ball
Pain Split/Recover
Will-o-Wisp/Toxic

for mienshao, i would personally replace hi jump kick w/ drain punch (perfect accuracy and regain even more hp before regenerating) whether you listen or not w/e :3

Right o the first thing that jumps out at me is your Jellicent set, Scald, Shadow Ball/Hex and filler is standard for a reason, because it works really well. Dunno just my opinion. Also, for Mienshao, Taunting Whismicott aint gonna work BTW, it has priority Taunt and will Taunt you first.

Also here's the Jelly set I was talking about (no Evs just moves)

Boiling Water/Surf
Hex/Shadow Ball
Pain Split/Recover
Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
lol, in the case of Mienshao, more than half the people I've played opted to use sub or leech seed instead against my mienshao not knowing it had taunt :/
I'll try running Hex over Protect and see how it works out. Personally for me, running protect has worked out great.

for mienshao, i would personally replace hi jump kick w/ drain punch (perfect accuracy and regain even more hp before regenerating) whether you listen or not w/e :3
hmm, tbh, I'm looking for more power over recovery, simply because like Ampibom, Mienshao can't take a hit unless he resists the move, thus making it so that unless Mienshao kills them, using Drain Punch would be counter productive. I'll still try it and see if it works though.

The first huge issue is lack of SR. Its still the best move in competitive pokemon, and really should be on every team period. I suggest removing froslass for a pokemon that can reliably set rocks for you instead of spikes (though both would be fine). Its invaluable in helping to deal with the likes of volcarona, zapdos, gyarados, etc. I feel a lead like deoxys or mew would serve you much better.

in most cases I prefer cursed body on jellicent. Water absorb is nice, but getting a cursed body disable can really shut down pokemon that would ordinarly not have a problem beating you. If you havent tried it before I suggest you do. Its a preference thing I guess, but I really do prefer the other ability.

Also, protect should go. Its does nearly nothing for you.
Recover
WoW/ Taunt
Surf/ Scald
Hex
this should be the set you are running. Taunt allows you to disrupt even more pokemon and it makes pokemon like skarmory or gyro ball versions of ferrothorn dead weight against you (especially in tandem with cursed body). If you run taunt then scald needs to be your water stab of choice so you can get that status spread around to boost the power of hex. Hex has ridiculous base power on a statused foe and as such really deserves its spot.

Im also always going to be a fan of explosion on magnezone. It really helps it blow a hole in a special wall like chansey or blissey that would otherwise make hydreigon almost totally dead weight. Also, may sound crazy, but when people run non scarf magnezones, I always suggest magneton instead. It loses a chunk of its bulk, but its much easier to make it faster than all standard sets of scizor and skarmory allowing you to put more ev's into bulk. With specs attached you will also hit harder and be faster than an enemy non scarfed magnezone allowing you to win 1 v1. Give it about 32 spe ev's to outrun almost all skarmory (not that outrunning them matters to much, but preventing another layer of spikes is always nice) and all but max speed scizors.
Thunderbolt/Hp Fire/ Flash Canon/ Explosion (you will rarely use flash canon because of how bad steel is offensively, but its about all he has in terms of viable attacking options)

I used u turn on my scarfed hydreigon on a team i made to rather nice success. It can really help generate a lot of momentum for you with a single move. Focus blast is just so unreliable. Also, I'm not sure what your wanting to outrun, but you can definitely shave off some of that speed on your set to add in some bulk that you will appreciate. For instance, without really any speed ev's added at all you will outspeed almost every non speed boosted pokemon in the game. A good pokemon to outspeed, imo would be gyarados who at max speed hits 287 (you dont really have a counter to him otherwise). After SR damage (which you need to add to this team) your draco meteor should be a solid ko on all but the bulkiest gyarados. Get hydreigon a speed point above 287 and put the rest into hp for some extra cushion allowing him to switch into resisted attacks even better.

these are just some quick fixes to help you out. good luck.

if your going to use a fire move on garchomp, use fire blast. even with the jolly SPA decrease, it can still kill of those pesky steel/bugs and ferrothorn.

The first huge issue is lack of SR. Its still the best move in competitive pokemon, and really should be on every team period. I suggest removing froslass for a pokemon that can reliably set rocks for you instead of spikes (though both would be fine). Its invaluable in helping to deal with the likes of volcarona, zapdos, gyarados, etc. I feel a lead like deoxys or mew would serve you much better.

in most cases I prefer cursed body on jellicent. Water absorb is nice, but getting a cursed body disable can really shut down pokemon that would ordinarly not have a problem beating you. If you havent tried it before I suggest you do. Its a preference thing I guess, but I really do prefer the other ability.

Also, protect should go. Its does nearly nothing for you.
Recover
WoW/ Taunt
Surf/ Scald
Hex
this should be the set you are running. Taunt allows you to disrupt even more pokemon and it makes pokemon like skarmory or gyro ball versions of ferrothorn dead weight against you (especially in tandem with cursed body). If you run taunt then scald needs to be your water stab of choice so you can get that status spread around to boost the power of hex. Hex has ridiculous base power on a statused foe and as such really deserves its spot.

Im also always going to be a fan of explosion on magnezone. It really helps it blow a hole in a special wall like chansey or blissey that would otherwise make hydreigon almost totally dead weight. Also, may sound crazy, but when people run non scarf magnezones, I always suggest magneton instead. It loses a chunk of its bulk, but its much easier to make it faster than all standard sets of scizor and skarmory allowing you to put more ev's into bulk. With specs attached you will also hit harder and be faster than an enemy non scarfed magnezone allowing you to win 1 v1. Give it about 32 spe ev's to outrun almost all skarmory (not that outrunning them matters to much, but preventing another layer of spikes is always nice) and all but max speed scizors.
Thunderbolt/Hp Fire/ Flash Canon/ Explosion (you will rarely use flash canon because of how bad steel is offensively, but its about all he has in terms of viable attacking options)

I used u turn on my scarfed hydreigon on a team i made to rather nice success. It can really help generate a lot of momentum for you with a single move. Focus blast is just so unreliable. Also, I'm not sure what your wanting to outrun, but you can definitely shave off some of that speed on your set to add in some bulk that you will appreciate. For instance, without really any speed ev's added at all you will outspeed almost every non speed boosted pokemon in the game. A good pokemon to outspeed, imo would be gyarados who at max speed hits 287 (you dont really have a counter to him otherwise). After SR damage (which you need to add to this team) your draco meteor should be a solid ko on all but the bulkiest gyarados. Get hydreigon a speed point above 287 and put the rest into hp for some extra cushion allowing him to switch into resisted attacks even better.

these are just some quick fixes to help you out. good luck.
I find Taunt kinda useless on a slow pokemon like Jellicent. I know this sounds rlly stubborn, but I rlly like to use Protect. It helps my Jellicent live longer, stalls out burn damage, and scouts out attacks. I tried using Jellicent without Protect and he died far quicker and caused less damage to my opponent's pokemon. I found Water Absorb to not be the most useful without anyone on my team weak to water, but I'm putting Lairon (with eviolite of course) on my team, who has stealth rock, along with the luxury of having Rock had and head smash. It has decent attack (90), but it's Def is great (140 base), but it's Sp Def isn't so great, so I'm prolly gonna out a lot of EVs in that. I'll also try out your suggestion with Hydreigon.

Jellicent is more than fast enough to shut down several walls that rely on non attacking moves to deal with it(minimal speed investment may be required). I promise you, once you figure out how to use taunt effectively it, it will be 100x more useful than protect on it.

Jellicent is more than fast enough to shut down several walls that rely on non attacking moves to deal with it(minimal speed investment may be required). I promise you, once you figure out how to use taunt effectively it, it will be 100x more useful than protect on it.
hmm, I'll look into it. Also, instead of Frosslass I'm running Crustle, who can learn both spikes and stealth rock. Now I'm debating between Toxuc and Curse for Crustle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)