My Z Team

Hey all this is my 2nd real attempt at making a competitive OU team. I'm not really sure why I called it the Z team so yeah..
Anyway the team was supposed to be based around a CB Tar, and I would like to keep his set the same if possible. I know that competitively what you want doesn't always equate to what will win, so if necessary, I'll make changes to him. Anyway the team's been doing pretty well; it wins a good majority of matches with 4/5 as a rough estimate. I've played too many battles on PS for it to give an accurate rating but I was wondering if that was considered good or not?

Anyway, on to the team:

Tyranitar@Choice Band
176 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 80 Spe
Adamant Sand Stream

-Stone Edge
-Superpower
-Crunch
-Ice Punch
Standard CB Tar set with a few tweaks. The speed evs may seem unnecessary but they help Tyranitar outspeed a few things like Jellicent, Metagross, and Scizor. Though Gross and Scizor beat Tar at full Hp, bullet punch doesn' KO and Tyranitar can do massive damage with Stone Edge or Crunch. Second change, no pursuit. As good as pursuit is, I almost always use Crunch when facing a Psychic type. If not, I can choose one of Tyranitar's other coverage moves to nail a nasty KO. Ice punch while not common, lets me surprise Landorus and gliscor that try to switch in. With the right prediction, Tyranitar can cripple teams. CB Tar has the power to OHKO or 2HKO almost the entire metagame. His main flaws, imo, are his weaknesses which I try to cover with the rest of the team.

Rotom@Leftovers
232 Hp/ 52 Sp.Atk./ 224 Spe
Modest Levitate

-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
-Pain Split
-Will-O-Wisp
Rotom-W is frustratingly hard to take down. His resistances and immunity compliment the team, and he serves as a pretty good counter to practically every ground type. Will-o-wisp ruins scizor, not much else to say.

Garchomp@Choice Scarf
4 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Jolly Rough Skin
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Garchomp is here for the speed, 102 with a choice scarf lets him outspeed and KO all dragon dance users (save bulky Gyarados) even after +1. Earthquake helps nails Jirachi and stone edge KOs Volcarona. Also a good sweeper late game. I included dragon claw because I needed a reliable move to KO dragons without getting locked into Outrage.

Gengar@Life Orb
4/ 252 Sp.Atk./ 252 Spe
Timid Levitate

-Shadow Ball
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power Ice
Gengar's pretty awesome. His immunities allow him to switch into attacks that would KO Tyranitar, and KO the attacker in return. Psychic though generally considered a poor option, helps KO fighting types, notably Conkeldurr and Keldeo, as well as Breloom. Shadow Ball for STAB, and focus blast for Steels. Hidden Power Ice is a nasty surprise for dragons who think they can live a hit and set up a Dragon Dance. I opted not to use the substitute set as it chips away too fast at Gengar's health in congruence with sandstorm and life orb. Gengar's speed, along with his Special attack allow him to hid hard and fast and quickly eliminate troublesome pokemon.

Heatran@Air Balloon
4 Hp/252 Spe.Atk/ 252 Speed
Timid Flash Fire

-Stealth Rock
-Flamethrower
-Earth Power
-Roar
I choose to focus on Heatran's speed to outspeed Scizor and other Heatran. I chose flamethrower over Fire Blast for its reliability. This sets main goals are to provide an occasional switch in to ground moves (air balloon) and set up stealth rocks, roar away common threats, and use its powerful sp atk to stop scizor, ferrothorn, metagross and jirachi.

Breloom@Leftovers
4 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Jolly Technician

-Bullet Seed
-Spore
-Mach Punch
-Swords Dance
Techniloom can wreck teams. I needed someone with strong grass type moves and who could make up for my lacking of priority. Spore cripples anything, Mach Punch hits steels, normal, rock and just about anything that doesn't resist it. Bullet Seed is a slower option with more power, and is primarily used for bulky grounds and waters.

So yeah that's my team. It covers most threats, and I don't seem to have a problem with any one pokemon, except maybe mamoswine. It's been working well but I still feel something's missing. I appreciate any and all help and will be sure to take your advice into consideration.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hello, this looks like a pretty solid tea, you got here.

My first suggestion is changing up Breloom's nature to Adamant with Lum Berry to give you the ability to switch into Rotom-W more reliably, and due to your lack of a counter, this will definitely be appreciated. Adamant is a much more favorable nature due to the added power and the fact Jolly is useless on your set. Without Low Sweep Jolly if not the favorable nature to use, and it really doesn't give you too much of an advantage. Jolly Mamoswine is extremely common, and running Jolly just for the hope of outrunning a rare variant of Adamant is not worth it. On Tyranitar, I suggest using Pursuit over Ice Punch. The main attraction if CBTar is the fact it can pursuit effectively and trap the Lati twins along with other bulky psychics, ghosts, or weakened Pokemon in general that want to switch out of Tyranitar. Pursuit is far too important to be replaced.

Now I also suggest changing up two Pokemon completely. These two would be Garchomp and Gengar. I want you to switch up roles between the two. I would like to see you use a Choice Scarf Gengar and a Choice Band Garchomp instead. Gengar is a far superior revenge killer than Garchomp, and it is a rather surprising and speedy set that can revenge virtually anything. It is immune to ExtremeSpeed which makes it the ultimate Dragonite revenge killer, and although it threatens Pursuit often, it can easily be capitilized on through Breloom. Garchomp on the other hand is a powerful and strong wall breaker wh can smash through many strong defensive forces.

Garchomp @ Choice Band
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Fire

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Trick

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)