NBA Lockout Distractions

To all hoops fans: We have a problem here. We are all obviously aware the lockout is preventing any activity from occurring in the league, so let's answer hypothetical questions to pass the time.

I'll start: If you could pick any 5 players in the league today to make up the starting line-up of your team, who would you pick and why? Keep in mind this ignores contracts and personal chemistry. So Boston's 4 and Miami's 3 shouldn't be picked together just because they already have team chemistry. Assume that the players don't know each other. Style of play does count though, so aim for a more cohesive line-up rather than an All-Star team.

Mine:

PG - Chris Paul
SG - Kevin Martin
SF - LeBron James
PF - LaMarcus Aldridge
C - Joakim Noah

I'll start with my flagrant selection of Noah over Dwight Howard. I picked Noah specifically because of his offensive limitations. He's a hustle guy, and a great defender and rebounder. Howard is starting to become a go-to guy on offense, and I didn't like that alongside Aldridge.

Speaking of which, I selected LaMarcus because he's tough, has a very nice midrange jumpshot to go with his post game, and he's athletic. He also is content to play backup to a bigger star, and there are a couple on this team.

LeBron is the easy choice. He's the best player in the NBA today and is outstanding on both ends of the floor.

I like Mini Mart because he's efficient and has a wet outside jumper. I think it complements LeBron way better than Wade, who plays too similarly.

CP3 because he's the best PG in the NBA and a more than willing passer, so didn't need to think about that one.

Disagree with me please! Put your own line-up out there! I want to spark some hoops debates.

PG - Chris Paul
SG - Monta Ellis
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Dwight Howard

Chris Paul is probably the best PG in the NBA right now. I know most will disagree and go with Derrick, but Paul knows how to lead a team, shoot 3's, and get to the hoop for easy layups.

Monta Ellis is definitely the most underrated SG. When he gets momentum, it's hard to stop him. He can shoot from deep or take you to the basket.

Kevin Durant is way better than Lebron. He's able to come up clutch when his team needs him and knows how to put up a good 4th quarter. Definitely one of the best players in the NBA right now.

Dirk is probably playing the best basketball of his career. He has won the championship and claiming the MVP and came up very clutch against the Heat. He puts up huge numbers, what else is their to say?

Dwight Howard is the best Center in the NBA. He can score, rebound, and block. Really, no one else is a better center at this point.

3 of the best scorers in the game today. Disagree on the Ellis pick. Monta is a gifted scorer who can put it in the basket from anywhere, but he's short and plays swiss cheese defense. Plus, if I was going to take an undersized 2 I would def pick Dwayne Wade first. But judging from your LeBron critique I'm guessing you harbor no love for the Heat haha.

Love the idea of pairing Dirk and Dwight together. I'm not sure the league could stop a team with that frontcourt.

Not sold on Durant over LeBron. He suffers from a similar issue in that he sometimes allows his teammates to dominate the ball when it should be played through him. I'm thinking of the Western Conference Finals when Westbrook made himself the focal point of the Thunder offense when clearly Durant is the most gifted scorer in the league.

CP3 is the obvious choice over Rose for me. He is pretty much better in pretty much every way except height.

PG - Derrick Rose
SG - Eric Gordon
SF - Lebron James
PF - Josh Smith
C - Dwight Howard

I chose Derrick Rose over Chris Paul simply because with Lebron James on the team as well, there wouldn't really a need for Chris Paul to be handling the ball at all times. Lebron and Rose would be sharing the ball, but Rose can still score and attack effectively.

Eric Gordon is definitely one of the better shooting guards today, though underrated. He can shoot well from deep and can explode at the basket, but he isn't a superstar who demands the ball in his hands at all times to be effective. His shooting ability is really what hes here for.

Lebron James is still the best player currently in the NBA, even if you don't like him. He can score, run the offense, and defend well. He's just so athletic and quick. Lebron is easily the best player in the player in the NBA and holds this team together.

You might be wondering why I put Josh Smith here. He's great at attacking the paint and has a decent jumper, but the main reason is that he's terrific defensively. A combination of Dwight Howard and Josh Smith would be dangerous and just scary for many offenses. Imagine all the blocked shots!

Dwight is easily the best center in the NBA and an obvious choice. He's a great defender, he can score, and he's a great rebounder. Really, there just isn't a better choice than him.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
http://www.brobible.com/videos/watch/lebron-james-froze-end-diving-board

This isn't an All NBA team but this sure is funny!

PS @ ShiningLatios, I know it's meant to be team synergy and all but really? Monta Ellis on any kind of ultimate team :/? Defense is waaay too low and needs to learn to be a little more efficient before even factoring in the discussion. Same with KMart. I do like Eric Gordon a lot though @IK, gonna be an absolute superstar if things go to plan!

@IK Didn't think of utilizing LBJ as a point forward but that's a very valid point. Perhaps teams with a player like LeBron don't need a PG as good at sharing as CP3.

I like the Gordon pick, though he is also short for the position. Gordon is an underappreciated guard and a fantastic scorer. Shoots the 3 ball well, too.

LeBron is fairly obvious. Agreed.

J-Smoove is interesting paired with Howard and LBJ. You have 3 of the best athlete's in the league making this frontcourt. They'll practically declare a no-fly zone in the paint.

Dwight is pretty obvious, too. I passed on him because I don't want LeBron to get the feeling that there are too many scoring options on the starting line-up. Howard has become such a good option offensively that I would worry that LeBron would defer to him or Martin in crunch time. I would want LeBron to be the absolute #1 option and player on my team.

@Stallion Disagree on the Mini Mart critique. He's a good defender and he's one of the more efficient wing scorers in the league. This past season he averaged 23.5 ppg with an avg of 15.8 field goals attempted per game. Gordon, by comparison, averaged 22.3 ppg on 16.9 FGA. Mini Mart has a higher TS% by about 6% as well. Martin has a notably higher adjusted PER as well. Gordon is probably the better man defender, but he's shorter (only 6'3") and doesn't do as well guarding big 2s while Martin is standing a tall 6'7" and can contest even forwards. Just defending my Martin pick haha I think Gordon is also an excellent selection. Kevin Martin is very possibly the most underrated 2 in the league right now.

3 of the best scorers in the game today. Disagree on the Ellis pick. Monta is a gifted scorer who can put it in the basket from anywhere, but he's short and plays swiss cheese defense. Plus, if I was going to take an undersized 2 I would def pick Dwayne Wade first. But judging from your LeBron critique I'm guessing you harbor no love for the Heat haha.

Love the idea of pairing Dirk and Dwight together. I'm not sure the league could stop a team with that frontcourt.

Not sold on Durant over LeBron. He suffers from a similar issue in that he sometimes allows his teammates to dominate the ball when it should be played through him. I'm thinking of the Western Conference Finals when Westbrook made himself the focal point of the Thunder offense when clearly Durant is the most gifted scorer in the league.

CP3 is the obvious choice over Rose for me. He is pretty much better in pretty much every way except height.
Not necessarily hate the Heat, but I'm not a Heat fan either. And come on, Durant is just more explosive and way more clutch especially when his team needs him. And yeah CP3 is the best points guard right now.

@Stallion: Meh I guess you have a point of his defense, but his offensive momentum is magnificent.

PG: Deron Williams
SG: Manu Ginobili or Kobe Bryant
SF: Shawn Marion
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Dwight Howard

Kidd/Terry/Marion/Dirk/Chandler is the best line up in the NBA right now.

D. Will is JKidd++, Manu and Kobe are Jason Terry++. I would only take Kobe if he can understand he is #2 offensively. (Manu would understand.) Marion is Marion, ultimate glue guy, whose skills fit perfectly next to Dirk and shooters of Manu/Williams caliber. There is no one better at what Marion does than Marion. Dwight Howard is Tyson Chandler++ and Dirk/Dwight is the ultimate front line, featuring the best offensive player in the game as well as the best defensive player in the game and they are both good at the other skill (Dirk's defense is underrated).

@darkie interesting take basing it off of the Mavs championship squad. Incidentally, Kidd, Terry, Marion, Dirk, Chandler are not the best lineup in basketball. I think Barea was part of the Mavs most effective line-up, but I would have to double check that. Mavs def had the deepest roster, tho.

I don't understand taking D Will over Chris Paul. CP is better in almost every way. Not by a ton and Williams is sometimes underrated but I still think CP is the better PG.

Kobe will not accept being less than the #1 option at this point in his career so you're better off with Manu Ginobili. Kobe has always said he intends on taking the most shots on his teams. That's why Bynum was so disgruntled.

I can't really understand the Marion pick outside of you clearly being a Mavs fan. I think there are players who lockdown on defense and are athletic and don't have the weaknesses Marion has. I would take Gerald Wallace, Andre Iguodala, or even Metta World Peace before Marion. None of them need a lot of touches on offense to be happy, either. Marion is good but he only really came out of his shell to help defeat the Heat in the Finals.

Dirk and Dwight are a powerful frontcourt. No debates here. Dirk's defense isn't underrated, though. He is a decent defender for a 7 footer but doesn't scare anyone on D. Nobody in the league hesitates because they are afraid of getting stuffed or a hard foul from Dirk. Honestly, he's soft and he always has been. He didn't win this year because he stopped being soft. He won because he has steadily been improving as a player and got a fantastic help defender in Tyson Chandler to play alongside him. I think Dirk is fantastic but he still has his weaknesses.

Sorry I meant the best clutch lineup in the NBA. http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT3.HTM I don't think saying it's the best lineup is a stretch, but to keep things straight: best clutch lineup.

Williams is a better defender, bigger, better attitude, has less injury concerns, and would be more liable to accept being a secondary option.

Shawn Marion is a better rebounder, better offensively than Wallace, about the same defensively (SF opponent PER is 16.6 vs Wallace's 16.3 on the Bobcats--it's 5.9 on the Trailblazers but he played primarily as a PF in Portland). Marion's Net SF PER is +3.9, while Wallace's is +.4. Metta World Peace is a joke (Net -2.0 PER). Iguodala is the only guy you mention who might be a better option on paper (+8.2), but tbh Marion has a winning mindset and would be better in the role of the glue guy. Also, Marion was excellent throughout the playoffs, not just in the Finals, particularly in the WCF where he was the primary defender of Russell Westbrook, the MVP of that series.

Dirk's defense definitely is underrated. Blocks and hard fouls don't equal good defense. Dirk has good defensive fundamentals and footwork, without the flashiness. The Mavs were better defensively with Dirk on the court than they were when he was sitting on the bench (where his primary back up was Shawn Marion, a good defender himself). Dirk is actually not soft. Look at what he did to Pau in the Lakers series this year. That was all Dirk.

Williams / Ginobili / Marion / Dirk / Dwight could beat any other matchup in the NBA.

Sorry I meant the best clutch lineup in the NBA. http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT3.HTM I don't think saying it's the best lineup is a stretch, but to keep things straight: best clutch lineup.

Williams is a better defender, bigger, better attitude, has less injury concerns, and would be more liable to accept being a secondary option.

Shawn Marion is a better rebounder, better offensively than Wallace, about the same defensively (SF opponent PER is 16.6 vs Wallace's 16.3 on the Bobcats--it's 5.9 on the Trailblazers but he played primarily as a PF in Portland). Marion's Net SF PER is +3.9, while Wallace's is +.4. Metta World Peace is a joke (Net -2.0 PER). Iguodala is the only guy you mention who might be a better option on paper (+8.2), but tbh Marion has a winning mindset and would be better in the role of the glue guy. Also, Marion was excellent throughout the playoffs, not just in the Finals, particularly in the WCF where he was the primary defender of Russell Westbrook, the MVP of that series.

Dirk's defense definitely is underrated. Blocks and hard fouls don't equal good defense. Dirk has good defensive fundamentals and footwork, without the flashiness. The Mavs were better defensively with Dirk on the court than they were when he was sitting on the bench (where his primary back up was Shawn Marion, a good defender himself). Dirk is actually not soft. Look at what he did to Pau in the Lakers series this year. That was all Dirk.

Williams / Ginobili / Marion / Dirk / Dwight could beat any other matchup in the NBA.
Why Marion? He just makes too much silly mistakes.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PG - Derrick Rose
SG - Dwayne Wade
SF - Lebron James
PF - Kevin Durant
C - Dirk Nowitzki

fuck having a true center. Dirk can handle all of them and Howard sucks and can't even win in the playoffs. Lebron and Durant are obvious. Rose is the best pg in the league. Chris Paul and Deron Williams are also great picks. Wade is a personal pick but he is top player in the league...

Not sure Williams attitude is better, but my first thought as to why you picked D Will was his superior size so I get where you're coming from. Paul is an excellent defender as well, though, as his steals numbers and defensive rating show.

I must admit, I was surprised to see you break out the advanced metrics on this one. I like Gerald Wallace for his youth, hustle, superior athleticism, and size. I haven't forgotten the beast that Marion was, especially in PHX, but at this stage in their careers I would rather have Wallace. I see their PER for the past seasons listed at 16.99 for Marion versus 18.91 for POR Wallace. Marion put up a defensive rating of 1.5 to counter POR Wallace's 3. Wallace gets steals and blocks at a higher rate than Marion. Wallace has deeper range, too, and we both know about Marion's odd shooting style. I think they are at least comparable, though Wallace seems to get the edge in my estimation.

Metta World Peace was a joke, I don't seriously value him higher than Marion. I do love the guy, though.

Iggy is better, as you said, and I don't think it's fair to assume that Marion better performs the role of a glue guy. Iggy hasn't had the chance since the departure of the original AI. Philly expected him to be the #1 option and that isn't his play style. I would def take Iggy over Marion.

Dirk is a solid defender. I don't mean to bash him at all. I just don't see the sense in implying he is a good defender because he is no longer a bad defender. Ultimately, Dirk is fundamentally sound and 7 feet tall and this lends itself to his man D but he is not notably a good defender. I would also call Pau Gasol soft too, so Dirk manhandling him is more of a catfight in my eyes. I won't hesitate to tell you that I'm obviously speaking from opinion and there is no real way to measure toughness so I would never say you're wrong. It is very possible that Dirk is tough at this stage in his career. From what I've seen of his play style, he has toughened up but still doesn't strike me as a relatively tough player so I call him soft. It doesn't make him less of a player to me either. It's just a part of his game and persona.

You're absolutely right that you're 5 man rotation could be any team composed in the league today. I like your selections a lot.

PG - Derrick Rose
SG - Dwayne Wade
SF - Lebron James
PF - Kevin Durant
C - Dirk Nowitzki

fuck having a true center. Dirk can handle all of them and Howard sucks and can't even win in the playoffs. Lebron and Durant are obvious. Rose is the best pg in the league. Chris Paul and Deron Williams are also great picks. Wade is a personal pick but he is top player in the league...
Good luck handling any team with a powerful frontcourt. Gasol/Bynum or Lil Gasol/Z-Bo would put in work on Dirk and Durant. Or KG by himself. Or Dwight Howard. BTW there is no metric by which you can defend Howard sucks. Or that he can't win in the playoffs. He carried his team to the Finals as a young buck. I think you might be undercutting him a smidge. Rose is in no way the best PG in the NBA btw. Durant still doesn't have the weight to challenge big PFs without fouling. Your perimeter defense would be outstanding, though.

Question: How do you pick a player to execute your offense?

Question2: Who takes the last shot on this team?

Not sure Williams attitude is better, but my first thought as to why you picked D Will was his superior size so I get where you're coming from. Paul is an excellent defender as well, though, as his steals numbers and defensive rating show.

I must admit, I was surprised to see you break out the advanced metrics on this one. I like Gerald Wallace for his youth, hustle, superior athleticism, and size. I haven't forgotten the beast that Marion was, especially in PHX, but at this stage in their careers I would rather have Wallace. I see their PER for the past seasons listed at 16.99 for Marion versus 18.91 for POR Wallace. Marion put up a defensive rating of 1.5 to counter POR Wallace's 3. Wallace gets steals and blocks at a higher rate than Marion. Wallace has deeper range, too, and we both know about Marion's odd shooting style. I think they are at least comparable, though Wallace seems to get the edge in my estimation.

Metta World Peace was a joke, I don't seriously value him higher than Marion. I do love the guy, though.

Iggy is better, as you said, and I don't think it's fair to assume that Marion better performs the role of a glue guy. Iggy hasn't had the chance since the departure of the original AI. Philly expected him to be the #1 option and that isn't his play style. I would def take Iggy over Marion.

Dirk is a solid defender. I don't mean to bash him at all. I just don't see the sense in implying he is a good defender because he is no longer a bad defender. Ultimately, Dirk is fundamentally sound and 7 feet tall and this lends itself to his man D but he is not notably a good defender. I would also call Pau Gasol soft too, so Dirk manhandling him is more of a catfight in my eyes. I won't hesitate to tell you that I'm obviously speaking from opinion and there is no real way to measure toughness so I would never say you're wrong. It is very possible that Dirk is tough at this stage in his career. From what I've seen of his play style, he has toughened up but still doesn't strike me as a relatively tough player so I call him soft. It doesn't make him less of a player to me either. It's just a part of his game and persona.

You're absolutely right that you're 5 man rotation could be any team composed in the league today. I like your selections a lot.
I also like Marion's size over Iggy. Marion is more a 3/4 to me while Iggy is more of a 2/3. I think Marion plays above himself consistently.

I don't want to make this thread about Dirk because this is a very good thread, but I would like to note a couple examples of Dirk's toughness. In the 09-10 season, Carl Landry's TEETH were embedded in Dirk's elbow after a collision. He missed one game. In the 08-09 playoffs, Dirk went through something similar to Pau did these past playoffs (Dirk's fiancee was found to be a con artist and criminal, subsequently lied about being pregnant with Dirk's child while she was in jail; Pau's girlfriend broke up with him) and proceeded to drop 34 ppg and 12 rpg on the Nuggets.

also 82games is my favorite basketball site >:O

PG - Derrick Rose
SG - Dwayne Wade
SF - Lebron James
PF - Kevin Durant
C - Dirk Nowitzki

this would be a terrible team js Dirk is overmatched at center vs all teams except like Golden State or San Antonio (Matt Bonner woooooo)

imo, drop Rose or Wade and make your team something like: Rose or Wade / Durant / LeBron / Dirk / Howard

Durant can play the 4 for stretches but usually would be overmatched. he would be better as a 2 where can just be a spot up shooter while everyone else minus Howard would dominate the offense. LeBron would be better to put at the 4 if you really want to.

Love 82games but also go to hoopsdata and basketball-reference to pull stats. Advanced stats make me feel super smart.

Marion def plays bigger than Iggy but i don't know how much that would come into play unless we start to build a bench around our starters. I was assuming that everyone plays a single position.

Honestly, Dirk spent his younger years being hounded by questions regarding his toughness and that has carried on to this day. It doesn't help at all that he's Euro. It's a stereotype, but Europeans are typically pegged as soft players because the style of play out there lends itself to that image. I look at guys like Peja, or Memo Okur, or Andrea Bargnani and see a trend. They are all great shooters who shy away from contact. Of course there are players like Arvydas Sabonis who break that stereotype, but it's hard for me to shake the image of Dirk as a softer forward. Like I said, you very well could be right about Dirk's toughness.

Everything you said about macle's team is true. I don't like having so many ball dominant players on my team, and I see that as a serious issue with macle's. All those players need a heavy supply of touches on offense to operate. It's like the Sacremento Kings this coming year. Except almost infinitely more skilled.

PG- Chris Paul
SG- Ray Allen
SF- Kevin Durant
PF- Dirk Nowitzki
C- Dwight Howard

Dwight and Dirk make a great frontcourt who will do a lot of scoring. Dwight can cover any weaknesses dirk has on defence. If either of them get double teamed on offense they can pass it to someone on the perimeter for three. Chris paul is a great playmaker and can get the ball to either the shooters or the big men in the post well. Having the three point shooters spreads the floor allowing Dwight to score easily in the paint.

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Eric Gordan
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Blake Griffin

Scary thing is that if Clippers play Free Agency well next year its possible for them to have 4/5 of the above.

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Eric Gordan
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Blake Griffin

Scary thing is that if Clippers play Free Agency well next year its possible for them to have 4/5 of the above.
There is absolutely no way that the Clippers get 4 of those players next year. It is unlikely that they will even get 3. Obviously Durant will never be an option, because of his contract. Dwight Howard won't play for LAC. He'd sooner force his way into LA or NY. Chris Paul is similar. He is already leaving a busted front office behind in New Orleans. Why would either of them go play for Donald Stirling, the worst owner in professional basketball? He's stingy anyways, so I doubt he is even devoted to obtaining fat contracts like those. LAC needs to just focus on developing Blake and Gordon and finding their point guard of the future.

The new CBA will likely have a harder cap and it will be next-to-impossible to fit D12 and CP3 on the roster anyways.

PG- Chris Paul
SG- Ray Allen
SF- Kevin Durant
PF- Dirk Nowitzki
C- Dwight Howard

Dwight and Dirk make a great frontcourt who will do a lot of scoring. Dwight can cover any weaknesses dirk has on defence. If either of them get double teamed on offense they can pass it to someone on the perimeter for three. Chris paul is a great playmaker and can get the ball to either the shooters or the big men in the post well. Having the three point shooters spreads the floor allowing Dwight to score easily in the paint.
Interesting. Essentially this line-up is exactly what Stan Van Gundy wants to do in Orlando, except instead of Chris Paul he has Jameer Nelson. Instead of Ray Allen he has Jason Richardson. Instead of Durant he has Turkoglu. And instead of Dirk he has Ryan Anderson. This team would play a lot like ORL this past season, except they would make it out of the first round. The similarities are funny, tho.

CP3 and Nelson are both 6 foot point guards. One is a little better.

Allen and J Rich are like mirror images of each other's talents. Allen is a great 3 pt shooter with surprising athleticism to go with it, and Richardson is a great athlete with surprising 3 pt shooting ability.

Durant and Turk are both big SFs with good ball handling skills and outside shooting touch.

Ryan Anderson is a tall PF who can shoot the 3, which I guess is kinda like Dirk.

PG- Chris Paul
SG- Ray Allen
SF- Kevin Durant
PF- Dirk Nowitzki
C- Dwight Howard

I am a Celtics fan, but Ray Allen is getting old and isn't in his prime anymore. He isn't as fast as he used to be. I think Dwayne Wade is better to play SG right now.

I am a Celtics fan, but Ray Allen is getting old and isn't in his prime anymore. He isn't as fast as he used to be. I think Dwayne Wade is better to play SG right now.
I agree that ray allen is getting a bit old, but he can still shoot threes better than anyone else and is in suprisingly good shape for a 36 year old. I could swap him for wade but I think that as most of wades points come from slashing to the basket and Dwight can only score from right underneath the basket, he'll clog the paint and make it very difficult for wade to score.

To clear this up, I in no way think that Anderson is as good as Dirk. I didn't say that, and I was being facetious before. They aren't on the same planet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)