Other Negatively impacted Pokemon PrePokebank OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotom can't learn Pain Split until pokebank. Therefore its nearly useless to run a defensive Rotom W unless you are fine with leftovers being its only form of recovery.

Thunder Wave is the biggest kicker there is. No longer a TM means alot of important mons lose out on it.

Trick tutor is also missing so alot of stuff can't use trick.

And of course the Defoggers.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly- I'm of the other mind, that the transfer program should have never been announced or considered. At some juncture, reduction is important and being able to use mons with Emerald and Platinum tutor moves in a Gen VI game is outright silly. I was hoping with the release of BW and again with the announcement of XY that GF would finally make another cutoff, but oversentimentality has just added to the further bloat of the new games (peripheral 3DS titles- like bank itself and WiFi gifts could cover the missing mons.) The XY cart meta is better with Stealth Rocks and Drain Punch being restricted by breeding and the general lack of Dream World everything. I'm going to miss this weird hodgepodge slugfest.
You clearly don't understand good business strategy...

The whole idea of Pokemon is collection and making bonds. It's also a kids game. GF saw a huge outcry when ADV cut off from GS/RBY, and they're highly unlikely to want to see that again-- people are too attached to the Pokemon they've raised.

The thing is, Pokemon is BRANDED and DEVELOPED to encourage those bonds. Making a cut off might be good in the eyes of (a small group of) gamers, but it would be a terrible idea for the brand and the franchise.

GF is sitting on one of the most valuable brands in the world, and running an incredibly successful business. They'd have to be crazy to do what you're suggesting.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
You clearly don't understand good business strategy...

The whole idea of Pokemon is collection and making bonds. It's also a kids game. GF saw a huge outcry when ADV cut off from GS/RBY, and they're highly unlikely to want to see that again-- people are too attached to the Pokemon they've raised.

The thing is, Pokemon is BRANDED and DEVELOPED to encourage those bonds. Making a cut off might be good in the eyes of (a small group of) gamers, but it would be a terrible idea for the brand and the franchise.

GF is sitting on one of the most valuable brands in the world, and running an incredibly successful business. They'd have to be crazy to do what you're suggesting.
I agree with what you're saying... heck, I myself have a whole legion of Pokemon waiting to be transferred over from my Black and HeartGold carts. I would be incredibly disappointed if I couldn't send them over. However, even if GameFreak wanted to allow these transfers, it would be possible for them to implement a moveset-check when the pokemon are transferred forward, which could remove moves that Gamefreak deemed to be "no longer applicable". Things like the Gen 3 move tutors and such. Even Pokemon Stadium and GSC had checks like that, so GameFreak *could* do this if they wanted to. Obviously it appears they don't have any interest in changing old movesets.

Anyway, I quite like the OU metagame as it is now, honestly. It's like a melting pot. Having to run unusual Pokemon for Stealth Rock access, looking to lesser-used Pokemon to fill the roles of Heatran, Jirachi and the like... these two months are the perfect time to try new strategies and discover the potential of new and underused mons!

Why has... why has no one mentioned Scizor yet? I mean, Bullet Punch is SOLELY a tutor move for him, right? SO doesn't that mean hi biggest selling point won't be available until Pokebank is out?

EDIT: NVM, I'm an idiot, move relearner move, gotcha.

bullet punch isn't a move tutor move. it learns it from move relearner upon evolving.

no flying gem acrobatics/bug bite/superpower hurts though.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Conkeldurr doesn't have access to its elemental punches. Just when it seemed a perfectly viable candidate for Assault Vest...

I've seen Pain Split Rotom in some YouTube Wifi battles. Are you guys sure it can't learn it via breeding?

Another big negatively impacted pokemon that nobody's really mentioned would have to be Talonflame. I'm sure I'll get some argument over this, but I personally considered the SD Acrobling to be its best set by a very long shot and obviously it can't pull that off without gems. I know that plenty of people have had success with Bulk Up and SD Brave Bird, but I personally don't think that either of those is quite as good.
Gems are in the game. They're just rare. And regardless, items aren't transferrable.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
But Rotom is genderless and if I remembered correctly genderless Pokemon don't have access to egg moves.

Also Dragonite not having access to E-Speed and Superpower really sucks for it.

Well, something being learned through a tutor doesn't mean it can't be learned other ways, but yeah. I'm not seeing how else it can learn it.

And it was in a newspost on serebii where it was said that items go back to the bag when you put the pokemon on pokebank.

As for the gems, I read they were available through rock smash, though I may have been misled.

I'm about to attempt to breed a Braviary with Honchkrow in the hopes that he'll get superpower from it. If he doesn't, then he's not worth running until bank time. That move allowed him to OHKO things that would otherwise wall him and end his kill streaks.

Donphan. :( Half the point of using him was to set up rocks while easily spinning your opponents rocks away. Now I dont know what Im going to do about a spinner. I guess excadrill and starmie are both decent spinners, but neither learn stealth rocks yet or have sturdy, so I wont be using them as a lead. Sorry for rambling and probably going a little overboard on the doom and gloom.

Conkeldurr doesn't have access to its elemental punches. Just when it seemed a perfectly viable candidate for Assault Vest...
It can't get both Mach Punch and Drain Punch now either, right?

Honchkrow unable to get Heat Wave (or Superpower?) is annoying.

It can't get both Mach Punch and Drain Punch now either, right?

Honchkrow unable to get Heat Wave (or Superpower?) is annoying.
With the breeding changes it should be able to, they're both egg moves right? So you just have to breed Drain Punch onto a Conkeldurr female and then breed Mach Punch onto that Conkeldurr and you'll end up with both.

Eh, a personal gripe is that Dragonite lost access to Extreme Speed. Not a big deal for most I imagine but it was always a favorite of mine with him.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Welp, i see no one mentionaing the fact that Ubers is compeltely and utterly dead until December.

Well, on the other hand, i dont know even if I'm gonna play ubers when Bank comes out, since i dont have the patience to soft reset 1000+ times and gather 10+ master balls across 2 generations.

Umm, definetely SR setters are the most hurt, but besides of them, Dragon types unable to learn outrage, and the sheer amount of Superpower users (special mention to Dragonite for losing out on that AND e-speed, making a mixed attacker even more useless) are crying right now. Thats not to mention the Swordsman Trio and the Genies, the latter of which are gonna have to deal with the stop to perma-weather.

Last edited:
Umm, definetely SR setters are the most hurt, but besides of them, Dragon types unable to learn outrage, and the sheer amount of Superpower users (special mention to Dragonite for losing out on both) are crying right now. Thats not to mention the Swordsman Trio and the Genies, the latter of which are gonna have to deal with the stop to perma-weather.
Dragonite learns Outrage by level up. I used one to breed it onto my Garchomp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)