New and "creative" moveset/EV spread thread. Mk. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice and Electric are pretty horrendous defensive typings in Uber. Wouldn't a ghost/grass Plate be more useful? The latter allows Arceus to function as the team's anti-spinner(every stall team needs one, and Giratina usually fills that role), while a grass plate allows you to counter huge threats to stall, namely Palkia and Kyogre. Either way, Thunder > Thunderbolt, for obvious reasons, namely Kyogre. Groudon/Tyranitar HATE Will-o-Wisp, so no problems with them ruining the accuracy.
Thanks for your advise, Blasphemy,
I will add the changes.

Alrighty. Once again I have 2 sets for one pokemon. I guess i'll add to the aggron craze.

Both of the sets are for aggron. Both are not meant to sweep, but are midgame pokemon designed to do as much damage as possible.

First:
Taunt/Rise
ability: Rock Head
nature: Jolly
evs: 4HP/252 Atk/248 SpD
item: Stone Plate
move 1: Head Smash
move 2: Magnet Rise
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Ice Punch/EQ/Screech

I'm sure for those who have used aggron in OU before, have found that there are very few pokemon who can switch into aggron safely. This set completely craps over common switch ins to aggron such as hippowdon, forretress or donphan. The idea is to get him in, and start headsmashing. When they switch in the pokemon that can take a hit from head smash, rise, taunt and continue smashing. It is hilarious seeing hippowdon do 3% to aggron when he can't earthquake or roar. It can't even slack off. Again, I'd like to reiterate these aggron sets are not meant to sweep, but rather to get as many head smashes into your opponents team as possible. When your opponents normal counters to aggron cannot do anything to him, they are forced to switch and risk taking headsmash after headsmash. The EVs allow you to outspeed every bulky ground out there. You still have enough ATK to 2HKO skarmory without stealth rock, while being fast enough to taunt it (you can watch it try to brave bird you for 3-5%). Swampert will give you trouble because you'll outspeed him on his EQ, but then he'll just surf.

The next set serves the same purpose, but is created for sandstorm teams. It' is almost guaranteed to kill 1 pokemon, and send a +1 headsmash into another.

Enigma/Curse
ability: Rock Head
nature: Sassy
evs: 252HP/4 Atk/252 SpD
item: Enigma Berry
move 1: Head Smash
move 2: Curse
move 3: MetalBurst
move 4: Ice Punch/EQ/Screech

This is rather similar to the Metal Burst Set posted in Analysis, with one major change. The Engima Berry. Set up your sandstorm. Switch aggron in from a choice attack or a pokemon that can't threaten him. Curse on the switch. You'll now survive virtually any attack once. Metal burst the incoming super effective attack to kill the incoming pokemon. Your typical hippowdon will leave you with 25-30% health with Metal Burst for the KO. Enigma Berry will return you to 50-60%, enough for the next pokemon to eat a +1 HeadSmash. Vaporeon's Surf as an example will fail to kill you at that percentage when backed up with sandstorm. Commonly, the bulky grounds like hippowdon and swampert will carry Roar so you must watch out for that. With Sandstorm, if you feel aggron has enough SpD shift some evs over into Atk, but normally you'll need every point. If your opponent no longer has any pokemon that can damage Aggron through his titanic defenses and his boosted SpD, they're in for some serious pain.

haunter

Banned deucer.
This isn't really a Scizor counter, as most will U-Turn 75% of the time, doing SEVERE damage to Cress
That's why he has hidden power fire... Cresselia is also faster than Scizor (as they invest just 8 Spe EVs usually). I've used hp fire Cress in the past as a bait for Scizor and it worked nicely. The problem with that sunny day set, is that it's completely destroyed by Tryanitar as it can switch in with impunity, cancel the sun and hurt you badly wuth crunch\pursuit; and with hp fire as your only attacking move you're also giving Heatran the chance to come in for free, take a flash fire boost and rape your team with a flash fire'd fire blast boosted by sunny day. Maybe if Cresselia fells to UU, that set would have some actual usage.

I've found a set that actually is a safe counter to almost any Garchomp set, except Yache berrys with +2 already. And, of course, Sand Veil Hax.

Articuno @ Choice Scarf

Bold Nature

248 HP (For odd total, which means 3 switch ins)
146 Def (Rest of the EV's)
112 Speed (1 point above Latias' max)

Ice Beam
Hidden Power [Electric]
U-Turn
Roost

Counters Garchomp 99% of the time. 80% if the sand is up. EV's are so that this Articuno has a shot at taking Garchomp's +2 Outrage, something few neutrally hit pokemon can boast. This also means, even with rocks up, Articuno is able to revenge Scarfchomp.

U-Turn is for scouting, as often Garchomp and other dragons will switch out (If they've figured out you're scarfed), and Roost also takes advantage of switching foes, giving Articuno back 50% of it's HP.

The EV's also allow Articuno to defeat +1 Gyarados with Hidden Power Electric, OHKO'ing with entry hazards, and being able to take a +1 Waterfall to 2HKO without rocks. Hidden Power Electric also hits Water types, who would otherwise LOL at this set.

Somewhat of a gimmick, but killing Garchomps in suspect is important.

That articuno set looks cool raik, but why does a scarfed articuno have roost? I can imagine lucario would be a common switch in and if you roost youre pretty much screwed. It also looks very situational and could easily become one of the weaker members of the team, especially due to the quad rock weak.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Skarmory is a way better check for Chomp. Articuno is 4X SR weak, has a horrible type combination and most SD Chomp carry yache berry, so they survive the ice beam and ohko it anyway with dragon claw after SR. Also, how are you going to use roost if you wear a choice scarf? If you really plan on countering Chomp with a scarf'd wall, then use Cresselia which also has access to trick and has better overall defences and a better type (for a wall, at least).

Cresselia (Paralyze+Heal)
Ability:Levitate
Nature:Calm
Ev's:252HP 200Def 56SpD
Item:Leftovers
move 1:Thunderwave
move 2:Protect
move 3:Lunar Dance
move 4:Ice Beam/Psychic

This is a set I came up with to support Marowak a while back and it worked quite well at the time. Only problem is that Curse Tyranitar is getting more popular and he can take advantage of Protect.

Anyways the idea is to go around paralyzing as much as possible and slowing down the opponents team for a slower sweeper like Marowak or Machamp. Machamp is one of the best counters to Tyranitar and should easily defeat Curse Tyranitar. Protect lets more turns for leftovers recovery but more important is scouting the opposing Tyranitar. If they used Crunch then it's safe to switch out and Thunderwave later. If they used Pursuit then stay in to Thunderwave, take the hit that shouldn't kill you, then Lunar Dance one of your own sweepers back to full health. After the first CB Pursuit Cresselia is going to die no matter what. The last move is given to Ice Beam for some ground types like Hippowdon who would absorb Thunderwave. It is usually the better option. Psychic is another option and with Stab might be better depending on your team. Cresselia is a support Pokemon and I think this is the best way to use her, by supporting.

This is more of a creatve set than a new one, as I've made it a long time ago. But I tought I'd post it as it remais as useful as when I created it.

From The Inside (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/176 Spd/82 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Calm Mind

When creating this set I wanted a pokemon that could sweep trough an opponents team, or at least take out quite a few, without requiring considerable (or any, in some cases) team support around it, making it very versatile. This is what I came up with, a bulkier Superachi.

As it has Calm Mind, the full 252 Sp. Att ev's are not absolutly necessary, so they were invested in maxxing his hp. Together with reflect, it can take as little as 1/4 of it's health from a Hippo's EQ, and always less than half from the likes of TTar, Flygon, or Metagross, while being able to OHKO Flygon (which usually outspeeds it) and 2HKO the others (slower), apart from Meta.

While it may seem that it's own setup takes too long, it's awsome typing assures that, with minimal prediction, you can switch him on a poke that can't touch it and set up either reflect or CM, depending on the counter your opponent will switch in.

Psychic is it's stongest attack, taking quite a dent on everything that doesnt resist it, and with the 20% Sp.Def drop chance it can take down secondary special walls (and sometimes Bliss, depending on your luck and it's nature).
Grass Knot, admittadly, makes it struggle against Steels, given the alternatives (Thunderbolt/HP Fire), but it's the best alternative for this bulkier set, taking down the abovementioned ground-types.

Sceats, Articuno has roost because it can force switches once the Scarf is known. Roost can be used to restore HP, which isn't too bad with Articuno. Lack of movepool does hurt as well.

The SR weakness is solved by a spinner, or a fast taunter, (Aero).

Moveset Name: Defensive Sweeper
Move 1: Tail Glow
Move 2: Rest
Move 3: Ice Beam
Move 4: HP (electric)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/100 Def/156 SpD

Comments
This Manaphy is a more Defensive standard Tail glow sweeper,
this set takes advantage of Manaphy's well distributed stats,
as well as great defensive typing, to give it a easy chance to set up,
no SpA EVs or nature is needed as you will usually be able to get in two Tail Glows,
Tail glow, for sweeping,
Rest, because Manaphy always has Rain support, (Hydration)
Ice and HP Electric for the general great coverage (Especially in ubers).
Hope you like it!

Ice Beam on Standard "great wall" Lugia (with one tail glow): 52.7% - 58.9% (a 2HKO)

Metal Burst Aggron would get OHKOed by most EQs and CCs even after Curse, so depending on your team, it would work better to use either a Shuca or Chople Berry instead to avoid being OHKOed and to let you Metal Burst back for heavy damage.

that articuno isnt going to work:

it takes half from sr, which is how much roost heals. so you need 2 roosts to have a net gain in hp assuming they did not attack you. u-turn is such a bad idea on something with half SR, as all its doing is killing yourself while articuno does less than it could. btw if they *do* figure out youre scarfed and stuck on roost... ill just leave it at that. and no its not a counter to chomp. yache chomp will destroy this, as will scarf, with the scarf you can only switch in on EQ (and seriously, stay in??) you cannot always guarantee rapid spin either

Moveset Name: Defensive Sweeper
Move 1: Tail Glow
Move 2: Rest
Move 3: Ice Beam
Move 4: HP (electric)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/100 Def/156 SpD

Comments
This Manaphy is a more Defensive standard Tail glow sweeper,
this set takes advantage of Manaphy's well distributed stats,
as well as great defensive typing, to give it a easy chance to set up,
no SpA EVs or nature is needed as you will usually be able to get in two Tail Glows,
Tail glow, for sweeping,
Rest, because Manaphy always has Rain support, (Hydration)
Ice and HP Electric for the general great coverage (Especially in ubers).
Hope you like it!

Ice Beam on Standard "great wall" Lugia (with one tail glow): 52.7% - 58.9% (a 2HKO)
This Manaphy is designed for Ubers I take it, meaning that it runs into several problems.

Manaphy really has little business attempting to wall in Ubers. Unlike Jirachi, who sports key resistances to Ice, Dragon, etc, Manaphy's weakness to ice is offset by the omnipresent Thunder thanks to Kyogre's rain.

Which brings me to my next point - no STAB. This prevents you from taking advantage of the rain and TG to the fullest (and Kyogre could do a set like this better by running Bold and using its massive SpD to tank sp hits through CM).

The fact is, with Ice Beam as its strongest attack and a meager 70 BP Electric attack as its second option, it won't be sweeping too much of anything.

Super Annoyer Shaymin-S
Timid @ Leftovers
4HP/252 Spe/252SpAtk
Substitute
Leech Seed
Air Slash
Protect

Basically this Shaymin abuses it's speed to Leech Seed/Sub/Protect and beat most pokemon 1v1, assuming Shaymin can get an intact substitute up or use Leech Seed on a switch. Being the only Grass type commonly used in the teir, you will face little resistance when using Leech Seed. Air Slash is to finish stuff off, or to try your luck flinching and alternate between Protect to gain health lost from substitutes back. Entry hazards take this set over the top as any smart opponent will be switching frequently, and probably pulling their hair out. It's an excellent scout for choice users, as well as being one of the cheapest pokemon I've ever used. This is one of those sets where you wish you could use 5 moves, if you could add Toxic/Earth Power/Seed Flare it would have even Arceus taking a crap in it's pants.

I apologize if this set is common knowledge, but the only time I've seen anyone else using it is after I've beat them on the ladder.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Neblim I'm assuming that you mean this set. It looks quite good, but there's nothing too special about it.

You might want to explain this a bit. This seems... bad at best. What, do you curse, then Pain Split on the switch in? The moves seem quite random. Remember that curse on a ghost does not act like a bulk up with -1 speed.
Also, it is always better to max HP before touching Spiritomb's defenses, due to his low HP.
You trick first (trick the lagging tail), then pain split (because you will have below 50% hp most of the time) and curse when needed.

Sometimes the situation is that you trick, then curse and then pain split

Combined a few sets to try a make a decent smeargle lead that can pick up a kill while setting up for the team, came up with this, probably not the most original thing ever, but shows Smeargle isn't just a BP whore:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Endeavor Lead

-Spore
-Substitute
-Stealth Rock
-Endeavor

EVs - 96HP, 120Def, 252Speed, 40Sp.Def

The idea is to come in and Spore on the first turn, because even if the opposing pokemon is faster than you, Smeargle will hang on with Focus Sash. The only time I switch out is when I expect a Status from something faster than me. Anyway, once the opponent is sleeping Smeargle will be in one of two states, the most common being that Smeargle is on Full HP and the Opponent is sleeping. If so, I sub up. In this turn, the opponent normally switches, ready to start beating down Smeargle's sub. If again, Smeargle is the faster of the two, I Stealth Rock, and if not, I use Substitute again, and carry on subbing while the opponent attacks, all the way down to one HP, when I endeavor, bringing the opponent down to 1% health with me. Once Smeargle is finally down, the opponent is left with a Poké on 1% (prime bait for a Scizor with Pursuit and Bullet Punch) and another sleeping poke.

If Smeargle has been damaged first turn and has enough health to use Sub, I will. However, if Smeargle is left on 1% health, I endeavor, either hitting the lead poke down to 1% and sleeping, or hitting the switch in down to 1%. However, if so, Stealth Rock will not be set up, and so this is advised to be used alongside a Spiker of some sort, to provide backup passive damage.

You guys like? :)

Combined a few sets to try a make a decent smeargle lead that can pick up a kill while setting up for the team, came up with this, probably not the most original thing ever, but shows Smeargle isn't just a BP whore:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Endeavor Lead

-Spore
-Substitute
-Stealth Rock
-Endeavor

EVs - 96HP, 120Def, 252Speed, 40Sp.Def

The idea is to come in and Spore on the first turn, because even if the opposing pokemon is faster than you, Smeargle will hang on with Focus Sash. The only time I switch out is when I expect a Status from something faster than me. Anyway, once the opponent is sleeping Smeargle will be in one of two states, the most common being that Smeargle is on Full HP and the Opponent is sleeping. If so, I sub up. In this turn, the opponent normally switches, ready to start beating down Smeargle's sub. If again, Smeargle is the faster of the two, I Stealth Rock, and if not, I use Substitute again, and carry on subbing while the opponent attacks, all the way down to one HP, when I endeavor, bringing the opponent down to 1% health with me. Once Smeargle is finally down, the opponent is left with a Poké on 1% (prime bait for a Scizor with Pursuit and Bullet Punch) and another sleeping poke.

If Smeargle has been damaged first turn and has enough health to use Sub, I will. However, if Smeargle is left on 1% health, I endeavor, either hitting the lead poke down to 1% and sleeping, or hitting the switch in down to 1%. However, if so, Stealth Rock will not be set up, and so this is advised to be used alongside a Spiker of some sort, to provide backup passive damage.

You guys like? :)
I think this is a pretty good set actually. Gives a nasty surprise for your oppenent. and yes, it might get a kill unlike most other smeargles :/

This Manaphy is designed for Ubers I take it, meaning that it runs into several problems.

Manaphy really has little business attempting to wall in Ubers. Unlike Jirachi, who sports key resistances to Ice, Dragon, etc, Manaphy's weakness to ice is offset by the omnipresent Thunder thanks to Kyogre's rain.

Which brings me to my next point - no STAB. This prevents you from taking advantage of the rain and TG to the fullest (and Kyogre could do a set like this better by running Bold and using its massive SpD to tank sp hits through CM).

The fact is, with Ice Beam as its strongest attack and a meager 70 BP Electric attack as its second option, it won't be sweeping too much of anything.
Do you suggest switching HP Electric for Surf then?

Here are my two cents...

"Crotias...."(lol)

Latias @ Leftovers
Bold
252 Def/208 HP/60 Spe

Calm Mind
Rest
Sleep Talk
Dragon Pulse

Comments:

With Latias' above average defenses and blinding speed, this set compliments her well to be a sweeper of some sorts. There are three factors which put Latias above Crocune with this set. One, Latias can be fast without sacrificing too much bulk, two, Dragon Pulse is resisted by only one type in the game, Steel, and they can easily be taken cared of via Magnezone and lastly, Latias is immune to spikes and toxic spikes which are the bane of Crocune.The HP EV's let her have maximum HP WITH optimal leftovers recovery. The Speed EV's give her 271 Speed enough to outrun Mixmence who may hinder your sweep. The rest of the EV's are dumped to Defense to take hits from Scizors Bullet Punch and others. Rest and Sleep Talk lets Latias absorb status well, adding even more light to her role.

PS: The name is really stupid so please anybody suggest a decent name for her? hahaha

haunter

Banned deucer.
You can run the same Pokemon with: calm mind\recover\dragon pulse\refresh and have better overall results in my opinion. Scizor\Metagross\TTar will all switch in for free and force you out or pursuit you to death, but with recover you can switch a little easier into bulky waters and Pokemon such as Infernape and Heatran.

Also, mix-Mence usually runs a naive nature and max Spe, and mild\rash variants run at least 280 Spe to outspeed Lucario, so your EV spread is quite odd.

Finally, cro-Cune laughs at toxic spikes as it carries rest to get rid of statuses.

You can run the same Pokemon with: calm mind\recover\dragon pulse\refresh and have better overall results in my opinion. Scizor\Metagross\TTar will all switch in for free and force you out or pursuit you to death, but with recover you can switch a little easier into bulky waters and Pokemon such as Infernape and Heatran.

Also, mix-Mence usually runs a naive nature and max Spe, and mild\rash variants run at least 280 Spe to outspeed Lucario, so your EV spread is quite odd.

Finally, cro-Cune laughs at toxic spikes as it carries rest to get rid of statuses.
I guess I need to check the new mixmence then. Cause the last time I checked (about more than a year ago lol), it was 270 speed to outrun heracross.

And I have to agree with recover and refresh.

EDIT: Lol, it really is running at 280 Speed hahaha

"Crotias...."(lol)

Latias @ Leftovers
Bold
202 Def/208 HP/100 Spe

Calm Mind
Recover
Refresh

Dragon Pulse

Hmmmm, the Speed EV's tend to be high...I need to drop some for defense....or maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)