Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suggestions would be appreciated!

A pretty good core is mega kang, aegislash, and rotom w. Mega kang has issues with fighting types and slash is pretty good with those, and mega kang is good against subs which slash hates, while rotom takes on bulky ground type pokemon which aegislash hates, also kang and aegislash both have potential to sweep so if one dies the other can pick up the momentum, the only type not well accounted for is dark but there aren't that many dark move runing around plus mega kang can usually muscle through those (and since no person in their right mind would ever keep tyranitar in on a power up punch that isn't an issue) if somebody could point out bad flaws that would be appreciated

Last edited:
Jol

Jolteon? Pretty sure exca rapes it. Also thing is rare as hell lol. It's frail and probably dies to bb after some hazards anyways. Despite resisting it.
More importantly; a core isn't a team. They are a few mons that just function extremely well with each other and a core will always have something that is problematic.
Espeed lo Genesect is a threat to this core specificly so the rest of the 3 mons need to handle it.
Exca rapes it but there is Gourgeist. It can switch in to any kind of Excadrill safe-and-sound then manage to put up Sub and Leech Seed. And because I dont know the rest of your team so I can only suggest 2 pokemons who can mess up your core. Talonflame with LO is also one of the most fragile sweeper out there. So I just want to point out something :) but your core is good overall.

Tailwind Talonflame + Moxie Honchkrow makes a great flying type duo. The rationale is simple, letting Talonflame kamikaze itself and dying with Tailwind. This quickly allows Honchkrow to come in and pick off something in Pursuit range and get a +1 Moxie boost, or simply Brave Bird to kill something with that Tailwind-ed speed. The power of a +1 Moxie Honchkrow is terrifying, being able to OHKO standard Excarill from full health with Sucker Punch, and almost even Garchomp. By the time Tailwind goes out, you can pretty much OHKO anything faster with Sucker Punch, especially when Talonflame is already blowing holes in the opponent's team. The advantage that Honchkrow has over other Moxie Pokemon is its access to a priority, which makes it almost impossible to revenge kill compared to other Moxie sweepers. The fact that Honchkrow can finally get past steels without Superpower is definitely a plus.

I want to make a bad core good. Before anyone says anything, I DO realize that this is going to be really bad, but I really don't care. I think it's worth being brought up.

Tyranitar + Avalugg

Tyranitar with AV reaches one of the best SpDef + HP combinations in the game, and Avalugg reaches the second highest Def + HP, bar Mega-Aggron I believe. Mind you, I recognize the common weakness between Steel, Fighting, and the weakness to the EdgeQuake combo. However, on my team, I have room for a 5 Poke Core, so I need some suggestions. I currently have Vaporeon to mitigate Steel and Fire, take attacks on both sides, and mainly to also pass Wishes. Any other help?

Tyranitar + Avalugg
just skip the Avalugg part and run Mega tyranitar. It is terrificly bulky on both sides, so calculate the investment to make both stats more or less equal. But, really, Tyranitar has so many weaknesses that it is hardly suits the tank role anymore. Maybe a support with SR and Knock Off, but the days of its tyranny is now long gone, I'm afraid

I want to make a bad core good. Before anyone says anything, I DO realize that this is going to be really bad, but I really don't care. I think it's worth being brought up.

Tyranitar + Avalugg

Tyranitar with AV reaches one of the best SpDef + HP combinations in the game, and Avalugg reaches the second highest Def + HP, bar Mega-Aggron I believe. Mind you, I recognize the common weakness between Steel, Fighting, and the weakness to the EdgeQuake combo. However, on my team, I have room for a 5 Poke Core, so I need some suggestions. I currently have Vaporeon to mitigate Steel and Fire, take attacks on both sides, and mainly to also pass Wishes. Any other help?
Avalugg's abilities are Sturdy and Ice Body.
Tyranitar's is Sand Stream.

let that sink in

I've been playing around with a dual core stall team awhile, and it works amazing so far. Gourgeist+Heatran as stall core, wich complement each other in type really well and heatrans wisp support benefits both. Fortress+florges as support core. Types complement good aswell, while florges can cleric the stall core and fortress can spin support and lay hazards for heatrans roar. 2 cores that can function individually but work flawlesss together as a massive stall core. They still got a few big threats. Mostly garchomp, m-pinsir and m-lucario (talonflame a bit too) Don't really know how to counter those with the filler spot (rotom-w works decent), but the core, works amazing.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I dont know if this has been mentioned yet but I think Support Tyranitar could work really well with Super Size Gourgeist. They cover each other's weaknesses almost perfectly and Tyranitar appreciates the spinblock and WoW support to compliment its sneaky pebbles. I'll need something to handle Scizor though, as he tramples both Pokemon with its STABs, and I also wouldnt feel too comfortable putting too much pressure on Gourgeist to take Water-type attacks with its middling SDef, so the core definetley needs still needs some well-thought out support from a 3rd mon, havent really figured out who yet.

I dont know if this has been mentioned yet but I think Support Tyranitar could work really well with Super Size Gourgeist. They cover each other's weaknesses almost perfectly and Tyranitar appreciates the spinblock and WoW support to compliment its sneaky pebbles. I'll need something to handle Scizor though, as he tramples both Pokemon with its STABs, and I also wouldnt feel too comfortable putting too much pressure on Gourgeist to take Water-type attacks with its middling SDef, so the core definetley needs still needs some well-thought out support from a 3rd mon, havent really figured out who yet.
Also this core have a trouble with MegaGyarados if it runs... Bite. If your Gourgeist took some damage, you may be in trouble as well. BellyDrum Play Rough Azumarill have no trouble to break through this as well (and it's not that hard to find free turn on Tyranitar to use Belly Drum). Hmmm... I think I have few ideas here, so let's start with them:

a) While I admit it's highly unorthodox, you may consider to run another ghost called Jellicent. Physically Bulky Jellicent has no trouble taking Scizors U-Turns and Iron Heads/Bullet Punches, while it has Water Absorb to handle many bulky waters which may screw you around. Unfortunately it doesn't fix MegaGyarados problem, but ironically it should still work even if you already have one ghost type. And while having double ghost makes you prone to Pursuit trapping, both of them have access to WoW, forcing Pursuit users to think twice before switching in.
b) Intimidate Qwilfish sounds like an another interesting option. He has the ability to check Azumarill pretty well, can easily take U-Turns/Bullet Punches/Iron Heads from Scizor and can handle some water attacks aimed on him. I feel like Water/Poison typing in todays metagame sounds really good, worth to try if you ask me. Although it still doesn't fix MegaGyarados problem.
c) While I look at it, RestTalk Gyarados sounds good as well. Resist water attacks, easily counter Scizor, while still has a shot against Azumarill and MegaGyarados (if it doesn't run Stone Edge). Or Bulky DD Gyarados is good as well if you prefer more offensive variant here.

I'll try to think of something else later on, but those three came to my mind right now. I hope it helps ;).

A three Pokemon Core I'm quite fond of is a ZardX-Excadrill-RotomW, and it's what I'm using now with Blaziken getting the axe given that Blaziken was an integral part of my team. The three cover each other's weaknesses really well, in fact the only weakness they don't cover is Excadrill's Fighting weakness, but you could just slap a Ghost Type on there and call it a day to fix that. Here's what I've got so far:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Adamant, 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Flare Blitz
Earthquake

Rotom W @ Leftovers
Bold, 232 HP, 220 Def, 56 Speed
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Will-o-Wisp
Thunder Wave

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Adamant, Mold Breaker, 176 Hp, 60 Atk, 252 Sp. Def, 20 Speed
Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Rock Slide

A core I've grown to really love is M-Absol / Gliscor / Aegislash.

Absol
Nature: Naive
Ability: Justified -> Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
@Absolite
~Swords Dance
~Sucker Punch
~Play Rough
~Fire Blast

Gliscor
Nature: Impish
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spe
Toxic Orb
~Substitute
~Baton Pass
~Earthquake
~Ice Fang

Aegislash
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 172 Atk / 252 SAtk / 84 Spe
@Spell Tag
~Shadow Ball
~Shadow Sneak
~Iron Head
~Sacred Sword

M-Absol is the centre of this core. The SD set is a wrecking ball once it sets up safely and, thanks to its Magic Bounce, is deadly against defensive teams. Gliscor is an ideal partner for Absol, as it checks nearly every offensive check, including Excadrill, Landorus-T, Lucario and Breloom, and can pass Substitutes. Absol is an ideal recipient of Sub-passing thanks to its ability, which prevents phasing and lets it essentially switch in for free, giving many more opportunities to set up.

Aegislash rounds out the type synergy, resisting Fighting, Bug, and Fairy attacks aimed at Absol and Ice attacks for Gliscor. Gliscor, in turn, avoids Ground attacks to Aegislash; Absol is rather frail, but can survive Ghost and Dark attacks from the likes of Gengar and Hydreigon and immediately threaten them. The only types not covered are Fire and Water. So many people expect King's Shield+SD (do people seriously still use that set this much? it's bloody terrible) that a pure attacking set takes people completely by surprise. It lures walls like Gliscor, Hippowdon and Skarmory and 2HKO's all with Shadow Ball and Shadow Sneak with Stealth Rock down, and makes short work of fairy-types like Sylveon and Togekiss.

A core I've grown to really love is M-Absol / Gliscor / Aegislash.

Absol
Nature: Naive
Ability: Justified -> Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
@Absolite
~Swords Dance
~Sucker Punch
~Play Rough
~Fire Blast

Gliscor
Nature: Impish
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spe
Toxic Orb
~Substitute
~Baton Pass
~Earthquake
~Ice Fang

Aegislash
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 172 Atk / 252 SAtk / 84 Spe
@Spell Tag
~Shadow Ball
~Shadow Sneak
~Iron Head
~Sacred Sword

M-Absol is the centre of this core. The SD set is a wrecking ball once it sets up safely and, thanks to its Magic Bounce, is deadly against defensive teams. Gliscor is an ideal partner for Absol, as it checks nearly every offensive check, including Excadrill, Landorus-tT and most Fighting-types, and can pass Substitutes. Absol is an ideal recipient of Sub-passing thanks to its ability, which prevents phasing and lets it essentially switch in for free, giving many more opportunities to set up.

Aegislash rounds out the type synergy, resisting Fighting, Bug, and Fairy attacks aimed at Absol and Ice attacks for Gliscor. Gliscor, in turn, avoids Ground attacks to Aegislash; Absol is rather frail, but can survive Ghost and Dark attacks from the likes of Gengar and Hydreigon and immediately threaten them. The only types not covered are Fire and Water. So many people expect King's Shield+SD (do people seriously still use that set this much? it's bloody terrible) that a pure attacking set takes people completely by surprise. It lures walls like Gliscor, Hippowdon and Skarmory and 2HKO's all with Shadow Ball and Shadow Sneak with Stealth Rock down, and makes short work of fairy-types like Sylveon and Togekiss.
Nice core, although be carefull of all mega kang's Because unless you have a good counter somewhere else on your team it could rip this core apart

A three Pokemon Core I'm quite fond of is a ZardX-Excadrill-RotomW, and it's what I'm using now with Blaziken getting the axe given that Blaziken was an integral part of my team. The three cover each other's weaknesses really well, in fact the only weakness they don't cover is Excadrill's Fighting weakness, but you could just slap a Ghost Type on there and call it a day to fix that. Here's what I've got so far:

Dragon Dance
Outrage
Flare Blitz
Earthquake

Rotom W @ Leftovers
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Will-o-Wisp
Thunder Wave

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Rock Slide
what are rotom's and excadrill's evs for?

what are rotom's and excadrill's evs for?
Rotom has defensive investment to keep opposing Talonflame in check as Priority Brave Bird is still threatening for Zard X and Flare Blitz would demolish Excadrill even with defensive EV investment. Excadrill's main role is to get Sneaky Pebbles off the field but can also work as as Wallbreaker. I was a bit stumped when it came to Excadrill's EV Spread so I just use Smogon's Gen V Spread for now until I can come up with a better one. I was thinking about a Assault Vest Set but I'm not sure if it'd be as effective as the Leftovers set.

Nice core, although be carefull of all mega kang's Because unless you have a good counter somewhere else on your team it could rip this core apart
MAbsol's Sucker Punch gives MKang trouble, Gliscor can beat MKang's that run Fake Out over Return and Aegislash can hit it with Sacred Sword/Iron Head on the switch. It's not ideal, but it's not totally impossible for them to beat her down.

MAbsol's Sucker Punch gives MKang trouble, Gliscor can beat MKang's that run Fake Out over Return and Aegislash can hit it with Sacred Sword/Iron Head on the switch. It's not ideal, but it's not totally impossible for them to beat her down.
Well just if mega kang gets free switch in, and the set I am taking about is a PuP, earthquake, return, and sucker punch, because let's face it, fake out set sucks on mega kang

Dragon Dance
Outrage
Flare Blitz
Earthquake

Rotom W @ Leftovers
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Will-o-Wisp
Thunder Wave

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Rock Slide
Technically scarf Mold Breaker Haxorus or Excadrill gets all of them with Earthquake, unless CharX has a speed boost already. Mold Breaker Excadrill at least seems popular, you yourself are using one. I also wouldn't use Excadrill to block Dragon moves though. I hope you have another dedicated Steel or Fairy on your team for that. I just happened to form a team very similar to this only with Rotom-H and Haxorus instead so the similarity is pretty uncanny lol. My Excadrill is Scarf and can outspeed even Scarf Rotom and the great thing is if you run a Tyranitar too then you can bluff Sand Stream and really fuck up a Rotom hoping to outspeed with Hydro Pump when the sand isn't around.

Kangaskhan
Jolly @ Kangaskhanite
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Scrappy
-Power-Up Punch
-Return
-Sucker Punch
-Crunch

Aegislash
Quiet @ Spooky Plate
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
-Shadow Ball
-Iron Head
-Sacred Sword
-Shadow Sneak

Hydreigon
Modest @ Expert Belt
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Levitate
-Dragon Pulse
-Fire Blast
-U-Turn
-Focus Blast

Chesnaught
Impish @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Ability: Bulletproof
-Spikes
-Synthesis
-Seed Bomb
-Leech Seed

I feel this is a pretty comfortable core, need help deciding on last 2 slots however

Pretty sure this won't be a popular example, but I really like the synergy between Mega Manectric and Ttar. It's a great combo to kill Charizard Y, for example. Volt Switch into Ttar, which will hit CharY hard and break Drought, and then Pursuit for the KO.

Technically scarf Mold Breaker Haxorus or Excadrill gets all of them with Earthquake, unless CharX has a speed boost already. Mold Breaker Excadrill at least seems popular, you yourself are using one. I also wouldn't use Excadrill to block Dragon moves though. I hope you have another dedicated Steel or Fairy on your team for that. I just happened to form a team very similar to this only with Rotom-H and Haxorus instead so the similarity is pretty uncanny lol. My Excadrill is Scarf and can outspeed even Scarf Rotom and the great thing is if you run a Tyranitar too then you can bluff Sand Stream and really fuck up a Rotom hoping to outspeed with Hydro Pump when the sand isn't around.
At the moment, no I'm not running a Fairy, due to the majority of the Fairies being very underwhelming. Which Fairy would be a good fit for my team? I was thinking of Sylveon for a Cleric, but hey The new type brings new things to the table, so what would be a good fit for my core? Sorry if I should've posted this question in the simple questions simple answers thread, I'm fairly new to Smogon's Forums.

At the moment, no I'm not running a Fairy, due to the majority of the Fairies being very underwhelming. Which Fairy would be a good fit for my team? I was thinking of Sylveon for a Cleric, but hey The new type brings new things to the table, so what would be a good fit for my core? Sorry if I should've posted this question in the simple questions simple answers thread, I'm fairly new to Smogon's Forums.
Well Togekiss is immune to EQ naturally, so no chance of EQ hitting it outside of Gravity, and it also gives you a nice 4x Fighting resistance which you said you lacked. It can provide Wish and screens support, but the problem is she's Stealth Rock weak, but fortunately Excadrill spins for you. Seems like the most natural fit.

If you're begging for a cleric though then perhaps Clefable. Access to either Unaware or Magic Guard and pure Fairy typing make her bulkier than she looks. She can Wish, do screens and use Aromatherapy, but she can't do it all. You don't want to spread her too thin.

I'm sorry if somebody has posted about this already, but would Mega Mawile/Gyarados/Gliscor make a good core? Mawile is weak to Fire and Ground, who Gyarados resists, while Gliscor takes any Thunderbolt aimed at Gyarados, with Mawile resisting Rock as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)