New Handheld: Nintendo 3DS Confirmed

so.... is it like an upgrade (like DSi).... or do I HAVE to get this system to get new games? I REALLY don't want to have spend another 200 FUCKING dollars....

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so.... is it like an upgrade (like DSi).... or do I HAVE to get this system to get new games? I REALLY don't want to have spend another 200 FUCKING dollars....
This is the next handheld.

Game Boy
Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Color
---
Game Boy Advance
Game Boy Advance SP
Game Boy Advance SP that doesn't have a terrible backlight
Game Boy Micro
---
DS
DS Lite
DSi
DSiXL
---
3DS

So yes, you'll have to pay money. The DS came out 5 years ago. I don't see what the problem is.

This is the next handheld.

Game Boy
Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Color
---
Game Boy Advance
Game Boy Advance SP
Game Boy Advance SP that doesn't have a terrible backlight
Game Boy Micro
---
DS
DS Lite
DSi
DSiXL
---
3DS

So yes, you'll have to pay money. The DS came out 5 years ago. I don't see what the problem is.
I'm aware of that.... it just... UGGGH the next pokemon game will probably be on that system... and thats just even more money out of my pocket.... and I JUST bought a new DS....

Worst case scenario, pokemon will be released like Zelda:TP was for the Wii. However, it's far, far more likely that it will be released as a regular DS game, with minor additions for the new system (think Zelda: Seasons/Ages on GBA).
I'm assuming 3DS is a placeholder just like "Revolution" was for the Wii.
Yes, that's what the (temp) in the link means.

I'm aware of that.... it just... UGGGH the next pokemon game will probably be on that system... and thats just even more money out of my pocket.... and I JUST bought a new DS....
Nah--the next Pokemon games were announced for the Nintendo DS, so it seems very unlikely for them to wind up as being primarily for the 3DS in spite of that fact.

I really hope people don't mean "Virtual Boy DS" in terms of success.

And Slyguy46, 3D TVs are not made "by hand" =/ They are mass produced and some are already on the market. Nintendo does not launch products that aren't at a mass product price. This new handheld will be <$200 without doubt.
Yeah the whole reason Nintendo is doing so incredibly well is that they always release products to gain profit nearly immediately. This was done with DS, Wii, DSLite, DSi etc. etc.

I don't know if I'll bother with a DSi now... :\ my DS lite is reaaaally old... but its only a couple months till the 'better' game console comes out...

Hrmm. Well if the DS Original was any indication of good concept that could be improved... then I might wait until the 3DS Redesign.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm sort of skeptical of this idea, but I will reserve judgement until E3. Afterall, I sure as hell didnt expect for the DS to become one of my faveorite systems from the start!

IMHO the honest answer to this is "it's what Nintendo market it to be".

The DSi was a more powerful DS, but it was marketed as an upgraded version, not a new console. DSi-only games are entirely technically possible, but very rare.

The 3DS will play all DSi and DS games. It's expected to have the same game cart dimensions. 3DS-only games will of course be technically possible - and I believe how many we see depends primarily on how Nintendo market the 3DS, to developers as well as consumers.

I think it will be marketed as a new system.

IMHO the honest answer to this is "it's what Nintendo market it to be".

The DSi was a more powerful DS, but it was marketed as an upgraded version, not a new console. DSi-only games are entirely technically possible, but very rare.

The 3DS will play all DSi and DS games. It's expected to have the same game cart dimensions. 3DS-only games will of course be technically possible - and I believe how many we see depends primarily on how Nintendo market the 3DS, to developers as well as consumers.

I think it will be marketed as a new system.
Yeah, that's what it is--just look at the press release in the first post. It's the successor to the "Nintendo DS series", with the last word there being especially important. It's not going to be something like the DSi or anything--it's its own platform. There's really not much ambiguity about that at all in the press release.

I'm really interested if the rumors about Stylus Rumble are true. Also, the fact that they said there is no 'gap' in the 3ds makes me wonder what the screens will look like.

The no gap thing does worry me a little - in that a hinge line with no gap when open is probably a weak hinge.

Stylus rumble would be terrible. Rumble, if done, should be done through the console itself, where there's more room to create a better force. Plus I think games that really benefit from rumble will be those that benefit from traditional controls (racing, fighting, FPS, platform, probably some others), while those that benefit from the stylus (puzzles, strategy, rpgs, again probably others) don't really need rumble so much.

I want it to have better colors than "Wine Red" (or whatever they called it in the U.S. release). Yuck! I liked the blue of the DSi :-D. Or at least have a white (or black) version so that people don't have to have a color they don't like (or transparent, lol, looking at wires and stuff all the time.)

The DSi colours are awful. I think it's very much a consequence of the marketing. It's being aimed at the people who don't already have a DS. People with leather sofas and oak coffee tables who've tried their grandkid's DS but found the screen a bit small, and have heard about the 100 classic books and Professor Layton's Pandora's Box.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I'm really the only person in this topic to take the whole "3D is dumb" direction, huh?
Well, you'd have to justify it. I think it could be interesting from a layered 2D perspective, but it's really a gimmick to me at this point.

I'm not on board 3D as we haven't had true 3D yet. Avatar is not 3D. It's 2D images imposed on top of other 2D images. Until I can turn my head and see the image from a different angle and different ports of objects due to that angle, I'm not seeing something in 3D.

Well, you'd have to justify it. I think it could be interesting from a layered 2D perspective, but it's really a gimmick to me at this point.

I'm not on board 3D as we haven't had true 3D yet. Avatar is not 3D. It's 2D images imposed on top of other 2D images. Until I can turn my head and see the image from a different angle and different ports of objects due to that angle, I'm not seeing something in 3D.
Gah you are such a nitpicker. Television isn't really Distanced Vision as your eyes aren't out of your sockets in the studio...

3d is obviously called 3d because it immates three dimensions >_>.... having a 3-d visual medium would require three dimensional shaped monitors and would largely be impractical. Natal isn't 3d even though it could feasibly change what you see when you move your head...

:P I'm done nitpicking

If it's backwards compatible with DS games, wouldn't it still implement dual screens with one touch screen? I don't see how it could be any other way.

it just sounds like this thing is going to be virtual boy ds
indeed

I really hope people don't mean "Virtual Boy DS" in terms of success.
of course by comparing it to the VB, people are talking about what a massive flop the VB was...

So I'm really the only person in this topic to take the whole "3D is dumb" direction, huh?
no, I'm kinda in the same boat lol. I'm actually really annoyed that all these products are being released with 3D technology (movies, TVs, computers) because in all honesty I find it very gimmicky and I hope it doesn't catch on like touch screens did (I thought that was pretty cool).

Depending on how people embrace 3D, this new DS will either flop like a pancake or be highly successful. It really depends on how Nintendo uses the 3D, and how the 3D is 'activated' (for lack of a better word).

tbh, I'm fairly annoyed by this announcement. I wish I could be excited for new Nintendo products but I'm pretty sick of their cash-in obsession. I know they did the exact same thing with the GBA -> DS (releasing a couple upgrades, and then promoting another upgrade then announcing a product that totally trounces the old one), but it's still a load of crap. I was actually excited for the DSi and I was highly interested in the DSiWare... but so far, quality DSiWare titles are pretty few and far between. A couple solid titles, but Nintendo needs to push DSiWare a lot more. :/ I like the DSi (except I don't care that much for the camera, it's a cool-ish gimmick).

Jeez. Well, I'm not getting whatever the heck this turns out to be for a few years. Anticipating the inevitable upgrade, and because I'm not all for spending more money on another DS when I recently bought the DSi (after upgrading from the original DS).

Wonder what it'll look it, I hope we get some good info on it at E3.

Firestorm

Wishy, there is no way to migrate your DSiWare applications/games so I wouldn't get too heavily invested in it. Personally I'm looking forward to the 3DS as I didn't upgrade to a DSi. I didn't see a reason to get one without any software that made it worth buying. 3DS is being released at exactly the time one would expect if not a bit after when you'd expect it.

And this will not be a "flop". I can guarantee that. Nintendo has never created a failure of a handheld system and the DS is their biggest hit yet. They have a lot of momentum going forward with this.

I agree, Firestorm. Nintendo have dominated the handheld market forever, and that brand power will carry them through a unit that is perhaps less than stellar.

I mean, even though 3D graphics are a totally pointless gimmick, they're certainly not a detraction, so at the very least it's a playable system, and the associations Nintendo has with previous developers etc. means it's a sure success.

I'm actually really annoyed that all these products are being released with 3D technology (movies, TVs, computers) because in all honesty I find it very gimmicky and I hope it doesn't catch on
You think you have it bad...my mother is one of thousands if not millions of people with no vision in one eye. For her and others, this 3D craze is utterly useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)