New OU List (October 2008)

Aerodactyl continues to ride on the roller coaster ride of its life!! Began in OU, then to BL, then to UU, and it's now back to OU!

Among these OU Pokemon, the following are used frequently:
Blissey
Gengar
Gyarados
Heatran
Lucario
Metagross
Salamence
Scizor
(8 Pokemon)
this kinda made me lol, as most of us probably see at least half of the Standard teams only consisting of 6 of these 8 pokes (give or take skymin)

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i cant believe lucario is still "used frequently" i've barely seen any of them since scizor got bullet punch
Remember, these are taken from stats from September 12th onwards. If you actually had the time (or the willingness) to read the original post, it said clearly that another, better, OU list will be released next month.

this kinda made me lol, as most of us probably see at least half of the Standard teams only consisting of 6 of these 8 pokes (give or take skymin)
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Grr... Shaymin-S, am I the only one who thinks that it should be Uber? I made a rant vid on Youtube about that one but that was mainly to kill time, when is it likely that there will be a possibility of Skymin moving? Well, while it isn't could someone give me a counter I desperately need one. Also love that Donphan made it, my favourite spinner.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Heh. Scizor used to be UU in the past months. Now look at it, it's one of the top eight used pokemon... I always loved scizor, but it's just not fitting anywhere in my team >_>
It's a good thing gengar is still in the top of the top :D
By the way, is the 'top 8' list written in alphabetical order or in 'frequentlical' order? It seems to be alphabetical..

Heh. Scizor used to be UU in the past months. Now look at it, it's one of the top eight used pokemon... I always loved scizor, but it's just not fitting anywhere in my team >_>
It's a good thing gengar is still in the top of the top :D
By the way, is the 'top 8' list written in alphabetical order or in 'frequentlical' order? It seems to be alphabetical..
Bullet Punch changes a lot, and it shows, I've seen it do quite considerable damage to even my Empoleon.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Grr... Shaymin-S, am I the only one who thinks that it should be Uber? I made a rant vid on Youtube about that one but that was mainly to kill time, when is it likely that there will be a possibility of Skymin moving? Well, while it isn't could someone give me a counter I desperately need one. Also love that Donphan made it, my favourite spinner.
Shaymin-S is a suspect Pokemon, which means that it will be tested in the Suspect ladder eventually.

It is alphabetical. They're basically the top 8 used Pokemon written in alphabetical order.

last time i checked shaymin-s was on suspect, oh and for what i have seen blissey works wonders on shaymin-s takes 3 hits minimum, accounting for spdef lowers, while blissey can just remove it with ice beam, so you should try that.
surprised 4 of the top 8 are steel type though, quite a bit of fire floating around

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I really doubt that Bliss can beat the SubSeed set.
Also one of the 4 steels is Heatran which is immune to fire.

Anyway echoing the hope that Shaymin gets tested soon...

To be honest, I'm a little surprised gyara is #4. The plat changes didn't give him much...except people like to use outrage because they think it's a cool move >_>. Personally I'd stick with waterfall even if it is the same BP beacuse i don't want to get confuzzed.

I suppose the fact that it counters heatran and scizor relatively well is a nice bonus, but I would've thought that with the advent of DDmence with outrage that people would just drop gyara and go for mence. Although admittedly it has only been 9 days with plat moves...Sigh, I guess next month gyara will take a big drop :(

Pretty surprised that Alakazam is OU. I dont really see too many of those.
As for Kingdra and Scizor those were no brainers.

Remember, these are taken from stats from September 12th onwards. If you actually had the time (or the willingness) to read the original post, it said clearly that another, better, OU list will be released next month..
actually i did read the original post, but for some reason i was thinking it said that these were the stats for platinum changes on.
sorry i'll try to read more thoroughly in the future

Zapdos at number 13 makes me warm and tingly. Surprised by Porygon2 missing from the OU list. Scizor is also no surprise.

Scizor and Zapdos can really fit on any team. I challenge you to find a team that couldn't use one of the two.

The speed freaks have always seemed like a threat to me, I always find it harder to counter a Pokemon when you essentially need to take two hits before your counter moves.

The only one that really stands out to me is Alakazam.

Its nice that he finally got his position on OU. He deserved it really well being a perfect candidate for Trick and one of the faster and higher special attackers with a great moveset. I always wondered why he was only BL.

I didn't know PZ was BL before, well, this just proves how good he is. Surprised to see Tyranitar not on the frequently used list, I face a lot of them, but oh well.

Thanks for the list!

How did P-Z make it back on the list? When it moved down to BL, everyone belittled it saying how Azelf outclasses it and now its back with no apparent reason and no improvement? Anyone care to shed some light on this? or perhaps a moveset/ev usage list for P-Z.

Edit: found it...
Porygonz | Item | Choice Scarf | 34.6 |
Porygonz | Item | Life Orb | 23.0 |

nope still don't get why, half the people using timid lifeorb and others modest choice scarf, doesn't look so special to me. x.X
Porygon-Z got Trick.

Also glad to see Kazam in OU. Don't really get it...but I believe this is the first time its been OU since RBY.

Porygon-Z got Trick.

Also glad to see Kazam in OU. Don't really get it...but I believe this is the first time its been OU since RBY.
On the contrary, Alakazam has been OU in every single generation. However, in this gen his usefulness was reduced a lot.

Personally, I find it pretty weak and easy to counter.

On the contrary, Alakazam has been OU in every single generation. However, in this gen his usefulness was reduced a lot.

Personally, I find it pretty weak and easy to counter.
My bad, I thought it was BL on Smogon's G/S tier. Certainly is on R/S, though...

And, yes, every generation Kazam takes a hit. Special split and Blissey, EV introduction and Ninjask, physical Pursuit and useful priority tutors.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Poor Alakazam. The Physical/Special Split was really not kind to it, removing all of its chances at elemental type coverage by making Thunder/Fire/Ice Punch Physical, and then Pokemon other than Tyranitar became viable users of Pursuit, Sucker Punch turned into a strong way to dispatch it, and Choice Scarf made it a hell of a lot easier to outrun its relatively excellent Base 120 speed. Furthermore, Azelf came in with a much better movepool, Nasty Plot, and defenses stronger than a wet paper bag, and ensured that Alakazam was outclassed as an attacker in pretty much every way.

It's always been one of my favorite Pokemon, and I'm glad to see it getting some of the love it deserves.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think this list is excellent, it really looks like an actual OU tier now (with a few exceptions, perhaps... *cough*omp)

Aero and Alaka finally get the credit they deserve, I'm glad to see.

Azelf came in with a much better movepool, Nasty Plot, and defenses stronger than a wet paper bag, and ensured that Alakazam was outclassed as an attacker in pretty much every way.
Alakazam may not be able to take a single hit, but that's not really what it was designed for. Anyway, he's not outclassed entirely, he still has better SAtk and Speed and I'll take that over Fire Blast any day.
Besides, Ally got Focus Blast and Shadow Ball this generation, and still has Hidden Power, so the Elemental Punches are a disappointment, certainly, but a fair trade, in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)