New player need a lot help (Gen 4)

Hey guys, Southpark97 here. Im relatively new to pokemon, and am playing hgss. I just tried making my first team but need some help. I would tentatively called it a semi-stall sandstorm team. I'll give u my team and then some possible changes afterwards. So, I guess, here we go!

Skarmory@Leftovers
Ability:Sturdy
Evs:252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
Nature:Impish
-Brave bird
-Whirlwind
-Stealth Rock
-Roost

So, I am going to be running the SkarmBliss combo. I am not really sure if I should use Skarm as my lead due to his low speed, how it can be stopped basically by taunt. Also, I was wondering what you guys think about Brave bird. Skarmory is known as a physical wall, but with Brave Bird's recoil damage. Do you guys think that Brave Bird is viable? On the other hand, it's defenses are very solid and it has access to that Whirlwind/SR combo. If I weren't going to use Skarm as a lead, I would switch him out for another lead, but keep him on my team. If I weren't going to use Skarm, I would replace him with either an Azelf or Machamp lead. Skarmory also serves as my main counter to walling the dragons (even though Starmie has the ice beam in order to take it out.

Blissey@Leftovers
Ability:Natural Cure
Evs:252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
Nature:Bold
-Wish
-Thunder Wave
-Toxic
-Seismic Toss

My special sponge and second part of the SkarmBliss duo. I like his set, but am not sure whether or not to keep him on the team or replace him with a more offensive mon. You can judge that once you have seen the rest of the team. Wish Support is pretty crucial to the team because many of my pokemon don't have instant recovery(e.g. Tyrnaitar, Heatran, Electivire..). I was also wondering whether or not toxic is viable, or I should trade it for the all powerful Healing Wish or Aromatherapy. Also in terms of attacking moves, when you guys are using Blissey do u prefer Seismisc Toss(with that constant 100 damage) or do u guys like to use moves like Flamethrower or Ice beam to counter specific types?

Tyranitar@Leftovers
Ability:Sandstream
EVs:4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Nature:Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Stone edge

My sweeper. I really like the fact that after one DD i have the power of the CB set and speed of the CS set. The Tyrant has really nice coverage, but not sure whether or not to use RS or SE and Fire punch over Crunch. Rock Slide will provide the flinch and better accuracy, while SE has 20 more power, and a higher crit rate, but less accuracy. Do you guys prefer DD variants of the Tyrant or do u prefer to CB versions of the CS variations. With Sandstream, it is not only helping its own Special Defense stat, but also that of Heatran's. Also, in terms of the item, do u guys like the babiri berry, leftovers or Life orb?

Heatran@Choice Scarf
Ability:Flash Fire
Evs:252 Spa/4 Spd/252 Spd
Nature:Naive
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Dragon Pulse
-Explosion

Typical CS heatran. Serves as my revenge killer (I guess), and is one of the staples of my team. I will not replace him with anything. Heatran is one of the more popular mons in OU, and although most teams have at least one bulky water to counter it, I believe it is still efficient at not only revenging things, but also walling things with its incredible Defensive stats. Do you guys like Explosion as a move, or do you things it is more efficient to give it more coverage with another special attack.

Starmie@Life Orb
Ability:Natural Cure
EVs:252 Spa/4 Spd/252 Spd
Nature:Timid
-Rapid Spin
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Thunderbolt

Starmie serves as my rapid spinner and another sweeper. With his 361 speed he pretty much outspeeds everything without a CS. starmie has really nice coverage and is one of the most reliable rapid spinners, from what I heard. However, I am not really sure if I want a spinner. the popularity of Rotom as a spin-blocker is well know, and like I said before, most of my pokemon don't have an instant recovery move, and recover would help Starmie regain health from all that Life orb damage. The other reason I really like Starmie is its underrated Defense base stats, and relatively good typing with its only noticeable weaknesses being Dark, Electric, and Grass.

Electivire@Expert Belt
Ability:Motor Drive
EVs:4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Nature:Adamant
-Cross Chop
-Ice Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Earthquake

Electivire serves as another coverage sweeper, with fighting, ice, Electric and ground type moves and solid speed. I kinda of wis I had gone with a +speed nature instead of Adamant. He is one of Starmie partners because he can switch in on any predicted electric move against Starmie.

Some of my other possible options are CM Jirachi, the Macamp lead instead of Skarmory(or Azelf), or a Gengar with Sub and 3 attacks.

Thx guys, and I am willing to take a lot of criticism, just trying to get better.

I'll help. Your team looks pretty solid but I hope your team is in no particularly order because you'll certainly want Tyranitar as you lead for most of the time.

Movepool wise you should replace either thunder wave or toxic with protect on blissey. You can't give a pokemon two status' and protect will allow blissey to heal herself risk-free.

I also see that you have no priority, so if Heatran dies you'll have no reliable revenge-killer and even with Heatran it can't kill opposing scarfers. So replacing Cross Chop on Electrive with quick attack is an idea. Cross chop is also inaccurate and steel and rock types who you'll commonly be using cross chop on are covered by earthquake.

Finally, on Heatran you already had a scarf so naive isn't much use. Adding more power could be a good idea on heat ran so replacing naive with rash would be a good idea. This will increase Heatran's sweeping capabilities and even without the extra speed you'll still be able to out-speed may of the pokemon the you'll switch Heatran in to counter in the first place.

Anyway, hopefully my rate has been helpful and what your looking for.

ok thx a lot.

Would a CB Scizor with Bullet Punch be a good idea.

In terms of replacing Twave or toxic, I think I prefer Twave, because of not only the hax, but also cutting their speed in half. What do u think?

If i were to use a Scizor or put a priority on one of the other mons, what do u think I should replace Cross Chop with/
Thx soo mch

Im not sure where your post went, but whoever suggested Sand veil Gliscor thanks. The only problem is this is a gen 4 so it does not get a flying gem. But do u think it would still be efficient with out one in Gen 4

ok a couuple more quickies

Blissey: Twave vs Toxic?
Low kick a good idea on Electvire instead of Cross Chop
Gliscor a good idea? If so which variant (British)?
Recover over rapid spin on Starmie

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Your team is absolutely destroyed by dragon dance tyranitar (if the DD Ttar also happens to have taunt, it's basically gg.)

Earth power from Heatran won't do shit against Tyranitar, and if it's at +2 he'll outspeed Hetaran even if it's scarfed. Lum Berry Ttar is especially threatening because it can DD at least twice against your Blissey and then proceed to sweep your team.

You're also a little Infernape weak, because you got no switch-in to it, you can revenge kill with Infernape though. Metagross isn't a big threat, but Agility Metagross can be a bit problematic, especially if your Skarmory is down or if it has ThunderPunch.

To solve the mentioned problems, I suggest replacing Choice Scarf Heatran with Choice Scarf Flygon, with that, you can revenge/check Tyranitar, Infernape, and Metagross with Earthquake, while being able to scout early in the game with U-Turn.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge / ThunderPunch

Hope I helped, and good luck. :)

Your team might have problems with Agility Lucario since it can outspeed Flygon when it's set-up, but your Skarmory can take a close combat and whirlwind it if necessary.

Edit: also, this is a minor nitpick, but you might wanna give your Electivire a naughty nature and Thunderbolt > ThunderPunch to destroy SkarmBliss cores.

Hey, I have a few things.

First your lead. Skarmory can function great as a lead but since it has access to Spikes, it is almost stupid not using it. There are also other Pokémon on your team that can learn Stealth Rock. Therefore I suggest using Heatran as a lead, not the Scarf set off course but a different set. Here it is:

Heatran @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 HP | 252 SAtk | 220 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Overheat

This set should work against most leads. You have to be careful of leads like Infernape, Dnite and opposing Heatran. Earth Power does a lot against opposing Heatran, but since lead Tran mostly carry a Shuca Berry you won't kill and in return they can kill you with an Earth Power (or just lay up rocks). Stealth Rock is there so Skarmory won't need it and so you can use Spikes over it. Hp Grass is mainly for Swampert, since most Perts won't expect you to have it. Overheat to do heavy damage to almost anyone not immune to it.

Oh yea about Skarmory just keep using it but not as a lead. It has a perfect niche in your team and works great with Bliss.

Next something about Bliss. Both Toxic and Thunder Wave seem redundant on this set, just choose one status inducer instead. You might want to try out this set:

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 6 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def/-Att)
- Toxic
- Wish
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Wish + Protect ensures you get healed. Toxic for residual damage, something you def need since your only attacking move is Flamethrower. I wouldn't use Seismic Toss since Flamethrower deals better with Steel types that can come in on your Toxic (not named Heatran).

Gengar with Sub +3 attacks is something to consider using over Electivire. It gives you a spin blocker, something you need with both SR and Spikes users. It also gives you an important Fighting and Ground type immunity.

I do have some more advice, but this is just to push you into the right direction.

Hope I helped you with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)