Pokémon Noivern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noivern is the fastest dragon which is cool . I think the spes set with dual stab and flamethrower will be the best set ..

Not on first page, and not sure if its been mentioned, but he also learns Psychic via TM

maybe: Noivern @ leftovers/life orb
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Boomburst
- Psychihc/Flamethrower
- U-turn

im iffy on Hurricane, but thats just me

Not on first page, and not sure if its been mentioned, but he also learns Psychic via TM

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Boomburst
- Psychic/Flamethrower
- U-turn

why would you run psychic over air slash/flamethrower/hurricane though? you're not hitting anything important

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Psychic also has moderately redundant coverage especially in comparison to STAB Air Slash, unless you really hate opposing Poison-types

Personally, I'm thinking this guy is gonna be really good.

But I'm stuck on whether to use flamethrower, focus blast, or boomburst.

Boomburst is great for the raw power, flamethrower is awesome for aegislash which otherwise walls it to death, and focus blast is for tyranitar, which also will wall this thing to death.

I'm imagining a solid UU/OU threat.

Why not try a spin-off of the Crobat stallbreaker. EVs make it somewhat bulky, give it leftovers and teach it:

Special attack of choice
Roost
Toxic
Super fang

I'm loving some of the ideas here, and I'm loving Noivern over the other Dragon-Types (I'm sorry Salamence and Garchomp. :[)

The Utility set that has been mentioned here is a good idea. This is most likely going to be the set:
Noivern @ Leftovers
Trait: Frisk
Ev's: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
Nature: Timid
- Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse/Air Slash/Boomburst
- U-Turn
- Super Fang
- Taunt

Basically one of Crobat's best sets. An attacking move of choice, switch-initiative, and two wall/stall breaking moves.

Now, for the offensive set:

Noivern @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Trait: Infiltrator
Ev's: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
Nature: Timid/Hasty/Naive
- Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
- Hurricane/Air Slash
- Focus Blast/Flamethrower
- Boomburst/U-Turn/Roost

With the buff of Infiltrator being able to hit through subs, nothing of most of the meta-game will enjoy taking a hit. As Draco and Hurricane can be replaced with the two other moves if the accuracy is to shoddy for most. Focus Blast for taking on T-Tar, most Steel-Types, and Rock-Types as well. Flamethrower is not the 100% option I'd go for, but if Focus Miss has been hitting then it'd be a decent option. Boomburst is most definitely a very notable move on Noivern, as it is power with 140 BP and is the most reliable of the moves. U-Turn for switch-initiative if Boomburst isn't that satisfying to you. And Roost (specifically for LO) if you want Noivern to have more longevity during battles.

Noivern is most definitely going to be a great addition to the meta.

Honestly don't see the point of

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Boomburst
- Psychihc/Flamethrower
- U-turn

I would run either Draco Meteor OR Boomburst, there is no reason to run both really, normal isn't going to SE anything dragon doesn't and only hits fairy while dragon only hits ghost that the other doesn't.

I would Run:

Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
Focus Blast/Flamethrower
Hurricane/Air Slash/Super Fang
Roost/U-turn

Or something like that. I know boomburst is cool, and 140 BP, but anything that isn't fairy draco meteor will hit harder, only reason to take boomburst over it is if you want an attack that does not drop your spA.

Even then, Dragon Pulse is 135 BP with stab, and at least it hits other dragons SE. So now you need something to hit steels since you can't hit faries super effective. Sp flamethrower or focus blast, depending on which you think is better. Flamethrower will hit things like Scizor and Ferrothorn harder and hits fairy neutrally, but focus blast will hit any non 4x weak harder but you have the miss chance.

Now if you want to go full offense with life orb you can go Hurricane/Air Slash (same miss chance as focus blast and people run that so don't see why you wouldn't run this) which provides SE coverage vs fighting grass and bug if you went for focus blast, or could go super fang for wallbreaking help.

Or you could go Toxic/Torment/Taunt in there instead.

Also I would use infiltrater over frisk to hit through subs.

Last edited:
This is what I'm using on my offensive team.

Noivern @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Nature: Timid -- EVs: 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Sp.Def / 252 Speed
Ability: Infiltrator
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Tailwind / U-Turn

imo, having STAB is essential on this guy as 97 base Sp.Atk isn't the best in the world -- but it's still workable due to the high BP & coverage Noivern has. My team specifically makes better use of Tailwind in the last slot, but U-Turn works too. :]

Last edited:
Or something like that. I know boomburst is cool, and 140 BP, but anything that isn't fairy draco meteor will hit harder, only reason to take boomburst over it is if you want an attack that does not drop your spA.
If you don't fear Ghost-types, though, Boomburst innately hits through Subs without Infiltrator, letting you run Frisk on an offensive set. The only downside to it is that it's probably ineffective on pokemon with Soundproof.

Would having a Naive nature so U-turn did slightly more damage be worth it on Noivern, or do you think the difference would be negligible?
The difference isn't much, frankly it isn't worth sacrificing the bulk, IMO. It's really personal preference. But if you are using a bulky-ish Noivern (i.e. one with Roost), don't bother with Naïve.

I genuinely like this pokemon. Speed is absolutely wonderful, and granted in a perfect world its base SpAtk would be 100 flat, it does it's job admirably. Bulk is respectable as well.

My biggest question is the application of boomburst? 140 bp attack with no real drawback is pretty stellar. Its coverage options however in relation to being a versatile life orber?

If you don't fear Ghost-types, though, Boomburst innately hits through Subs without Infiltrator, letting you run Frisk on an offensive set. The only downside to it is that it's probably ineffective on pokemon with Soundproof.
Honestly I really don't get the whole boomburst/draco meteor combo, cause they really don't provide anything to each other or super great additional coverage or anything. To me it seems like people are using boomburst because its a new move more than because it's valid. Just my opinion though. I would rather get more SE coverage out of one of those and 2 other attacks but that's just me.

Honestly I really don't get the whole boomburst/draco meteor combo, cause they really don't provide anything to each other or super great additional coverage or anything. To me it seems like people are using boomburst because its a new move more than because it's valid. Just my opinion though. I would rather get more SE coverage out of one of those and 2 other attacks but that's just me.
Most moves won't have 140 BP even with STAB/super effective on Noivern, Hurricane's accuracy is way too low and Draco is only better for 2 times orso. Then there's also the fact that Normal has very few resistances.

Most moves won't have 140 BP even with STAB/super effective on Noivern, Hurricane's accuracy is way too low and Draco is only better for 2 times orso. Then there's also the fact that Normal has very few resistances.
I get that, as I said it's just my opinion that if you are running him with Draco Meteor there is no reason to run Boomburst. Draco meteor is resisted by less (1 resist, 1 immunity compared to 2 resist, 1 immunity from boomburst) and if you don't want to have the the side effect from Draco because you plan on stay in for more than 2 turns, then you can run Dragon Pulse which with stab, is 90 * 1.5 = 135, only 5 lower than boomburst, and less resistances.

Also, the only thing boomburst hits that dragon pulse/draco meteor doesn't is fairy types. So unless you are running it solely for faeries I don't see the point.

Just for comparison, taking vaporeon (a common wall):

252+ SpA Life Orb Noivern Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 186-220 (40.17 - 47.51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb (custom) Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 179-212 (38.66 - 45.78%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Difference in damage is miniscule.

Last edited:
I get that, as I said it's just my opinion that if you are running him with Draco Meteor there is no reason to run Boomburst. Draco meteor is resisted by less (1 resist, 1 immunity compared to 2 resist, 1 immunity from boomburst) and if you don't want to have the the side effect from Draco because you plan on stay in for more than 2 turns, then you can run Dragon Pulse which with stab, is 90 * 1.5 = 135, only 5 lower than boomburst, and less resistances.

Also, the only thing boomburst hits that dragon pulse/draco meteor doesn't is fairy types. So unless you are running it solely for faeries I don't see the point.

Just for comparison, taking vaporeon (a common wall):

252+ SpA Life Orb Noivern Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 186-220 (40.17 - 47.51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb (custom) Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 179-212 (38.66 - 45.78%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Does that include the stats you lose from Draco after every attack?

Does that include the stats you lose from Draco after every attack?
That was with Dragon Pulse not Draco Meteor.

Here is Draco Meteor:

252+ SpA Life Orb Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 259-305 (55.93 - 65.87%) -2 252+ SpA Life Orb Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 130-153 (28.07 - 33.04%)

So over 2 attacks Draco Meteor would do: 84 - 98.91%, not even a 2hko.

So honestly Draco Meteor is only worth it to secure key OHKO's, otherwise both boomburst and dragon pulse are better, and in my opinion dragon pulse is better with 1 resist, 1 immunity compared to boomburst who shares a resist, has an extra resist in rock and has ghost immunity, which I feel we will see more ghost than fairies so I feel dragon pulse is overall the better attack.

That was with Dragon Pulse not Draco Meteor.

Here is Draco Meteor:

252+ SpA Life Orb Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 259-305 (55.93 - 65.87%) -2 252+ SpA Life Orb Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 130-153 (28.07 - 33.04%)

So over 2 attacks Draco Meteor would do: 84 - 98.91%, not even a 2hko.

So honestly Draco Meteor is only worth it to secure key OHKO's, otherwise both boomburst and dragon pulse are better, and in my opinion dragon pulse is better with 1 resist, 1 immunity compared to boomburst who shares a resist, has an extra resist in rock and has ghost immunity, which I feel we will see more ghost than fairies so I feel dragon pulse is overall the better attack.
Oh right, I misread. But that's what I thought for Draco.

Dragon Pulse is base 85 power now (127.5 with STAB), so I assume the damage is more like (36.51 - 43.23%)

Joined recently, but Dragon Pulse`s base power was lowered to 85 this generation, those calculations won`t be correct anymore. :/

I still don't think it's worth running boomburst on him, especially since he can bypass substitues with infiltrator already. Right now I'm going with this:

Noivern - Modest - 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpDef
Item: Life orb

-Draco meteor
-Air slash
-Flamethrower
-Taunt

It works quite nicely.

I still don't think it's worth running boomburst on him, especially since he can bypass substitues with infiltrator already. Right now I'm going with this:

Noivern - Modest - 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpDef
Item: Life orb

-Draco meteor
-Air slash
-Flamethrower
-Taunt

It works quite nicely.
Except that should be timid, not modest. Something as fast as Noivern wants to keep all the speed it can, especially if you plan on taunting things.

Except that should be timid, not modest. Something as fast as Noivern wants to keep all the speed it can, especially if you plan on taunting things.
I see your point, but I just think he doesn't have enough SpA to afford a timid nature and still be a threat. Maybe on a choice specs set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)