Let's Play! Normal Type Only Run - HGSS

Would you like to try this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I used a Girafarig in Emerald with Great success. Normal Stab / Crunch / Psychic / T-bolt is the way to go ... Crunch could go away (since the ghost one are poison type, and the psychic type are destroyed by normal Stab Attack)

My first time through the original Silver, I beat Morty with an underleveled team via PP stalling him with a sleeping Pokémon and a Normal-type, repeatedly switching.

I don't think the AI has got better since; but even if it has, being immune to Shadow Ball is pretty neat for taking on a Ghost-type gym. So the only real issue is finding a move you can learn to damage the ghosts.

You can buy Fire Blast in this game, so Jasmine should be simple if you're training a Togetic (which you should). Kenya the Fearow should sweep the ghost/fighting gyms with ease.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, sounds great. 8 50.00%
Nah, it doesn't seem so great. 1 6.25%
I'd rather watch someone else do the run. 8 50.00%
Needs more details before I would decise 2 12.50%

How does the poll do the percentages

You need something with Dig against Jasmine too ... And probably something with Surf for Steelix (High Defense ... Dig won't do a lot of damage)
Rock Smash with a Few X Attacks will get the job done.
I'll teach dig once I can get rid of Rock Smash though to my Furret.

I actually started a mono Normal team for LeafGreen twoish weeks ago, Rattata wooped Brock surprisingly, I saved my Spearow for a Farfetch'd later on, and once you get to a Kangaskan, things just get too easy.

Last time I checked, I was on my way to Cinabun island, just a standard Porygon is alright to wreck things up, I'd certainly try it on my soulsilver once I get done though...

It sticks that in most the games, you can't run a mono team with out trading, exception is in FRLG you can run a complete Poison team from the very beginning and of course, Normal types. :P

Are there any other mono teams that can be run without trading?

Fire, water, and grass obviously :-P

Otherwise it depends how early you want to get your first proper member. I don't think there's any game you can't do normal or flying from as soon as you can catch Pokemon, and bug is highly accessible too. If you allow using Pokemon that will evolve into the type then fighting in RSE, DPPt, and BW(2), ground in RSE and DPPt, and steel in DPPt can be done through starters. RSE give you Poochyena and DPPt Shinx pretty early for Dark and Electric runs respectively.

Fire, water, and grass obviously :-P

Otherwise it depends how early you want to get your first proper member. I don't think there's any game you can't do normal or flying from as soon as you can catch Pokemon, and bug is highly accessible too. If you allow using Pokemon that will evolve into the type then fighting in RSE, DPPt, and BW(2), ground in RSE and DPPt, and steel in DPPt can be done through starters. RSE give you Poochyena and DPPt Shinx pretty early for Dark and Electric runs respectively.
Please tell me how to do a fire run in DP, only platinum does that work out, because in DP you just get, besides your starter, Ponyta. :'l

Well, I'd prefer using Ursaring rather than Tauros. Ursaring is SLOW but he is bulky and has amazing attack. Tauros is fast but his move-pool is shallower compared to Ursaring. I'd also use Porygon. He is...a decent specail attacker. There's not that many special offence Normal types!

The poll allows multiple choices and a certain TM13IceBeam voted for all four options.
well shit i got found out

DP fire is pretty much a complete infernape grindfest, it's not impossible but after a point you will end up steamrolling the game anyway because you're severely overlevelled. ponyta might be useful for flash fire? alternatively you can be crazy enough and keep 5 rapidashes...

Isn't Infernape the best starter to solo the game with? Wouldn't make for a very difficult mono, then.

In Platinum you do get Houndour, Flareon and Magmar, though. Still doesn't exactly offer a lot of variety.

if someone wants impossible runs, rby ghost, aka the melancholy of gengar

normal types learning a lot of random moves make normal runs easier than they look, bibarel and girafarig are good for hgss with their unique stabs

Gengar's typing gives him really favourable matchups most of the time though. Alakazam and the other psychics will give him trouble, but Hypnosis/Substitue are good ways to overcome the disadvantage.

I did mono-Ghost in Red. Had one traded Gastly to work with up until Lavender town, which meant it spent most of the time being disobedient. Fun times. Finished up with two Gastly, two Haunter, and two Gengar, and avoided duplicate movesets as far as practical.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
An all electric run is also possible in DPPt I think, because you get access to a lot of electric types throughout the game, compared to certain games.

Back to Normal types, personally I like Togekiss the most easily due to its bulk, ability, Extrasensory and Flying-type STAB to ruin Fighting types and the Gengar line. Using Persian is also a fun option due to access to Dark type moves, high speed, and Technician.

An all electric run is also possible in DPPt I think, because you get access to a lot of electric types throughout the game, compared to certain games.

Back to Normal types, personally I like Togekiss the most easily due to its bulk, ability, Extrasensory and Flying-type STAB to ruin Fighting types and the Gengar line. Using Persian is also a fun option due to access to Dark type moves, high speed, and Technician.
Yeah I'm loving the Togekiss recommendations now because I've checked it's glorious move pool.

P.S: If you wanted to do an Electric run of DPPt, I have two words.
Cynthia's Garchomp.

what was i gonna s- OH yes.
am i just unlucky, or is the togepi that hatches from the egg you first get in hg/ss /always/ adamant?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)