Nostalgia: A new sprite set for Shoddy!

Seeing the update to the HGSS sprites made me realize that custom sprites could easily be subbed in for the typical Shoddy sprites we use every day. This, combined with links to old RBY sprites that gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling, gave me the idea for this project.

(It's okay to post this here, right? Sorry, a little new.)

I've been going through the fully-evolved form of each of the RBY Pokemon, and re-vamping their sprites to fit the size and color capabilities of the new generations. The sprites you see there are merely first drafts- they've gone through only minimal, careless cleanup stages! Once I finish the first generation, I'm going to go back and clean up every sprite. Then I'm going to release the first set, and get started on the GSC sprites as well. If interest continues, I'll even move on to RSE (though I don't see the point in redoing such recent sprites, if demand is good enough I will.)

As you can see, I'm working in alphabetical order like they appear in the Shoddy Battle sprite folder. I don't know if I'll be revamping back sprites, as the RBY back sprites were extremely pixelly and harder to work with. I'd like to post new batches of sprites here after I complete a few, but when the whole set's complete I'm going to upload it as a folder similar to the HGSS spriteset most of us downloaded a while ago.

This is more of a just-for-fun thing. I don't expect it to actually change Shoddy, obviously (it's just sprites!) but it could be nice to add a little nostalgia to your daily ladder grind.

(Disclaimers: I'll be using the sprite from the original generation, no matter HOW bad it is. Arcanine and Articuno up there can tell you that firsthand. Also, I'm well aware that Arbok needs loads more cleanup than the others do. He came out weird for some reason, especially the messy Shiny version. His RBY sprite was weird, too, but not THAT weird. Cleanup still required on the sprites includes: Removing dots, fixing the outlines and "shadows," and fixing the obvious "stretch blur." There's a reason they say respectable spriters should never use stretch tools, after all. I'm going to have to fix that. On another note, I AM doing Male and Female versions. There's an Alakazam sprite with a shorter moustache for the female currently, I just didn't post it.)

Just to let you know, you shouldn't make a new thread just for sprites. If you want to post them, post them on the sticky'd forum, 'Super Spriting'

This probably should go in shoddy battle, but this seems fine. ;)

Nice images by the way. I really would like to see this finished, as I loved RBY, and the sprites are just fantastic, with exception of stuff like golbat. *shudders*

Go for it! :)

Just to let you know, you shouldn't make a new thread just for sprites. If you want to post them, post them on the sticky'd forum, 'Super Spriting'
MetaGross66 said:
This probably should go in shoddy battle, but this seems fine. ;)
Well, like I said, I don't really know a whole lot about the way things go here. If a mod thinks it should be moved, I understand. I didn't know if this quite counted for the sticky, as it's meant to replace the Shoddy graphics.

Speaking of which, I'd like to make an in-game background to fit with the set, but I don't know if that's possible.

What's wrong with the RBY Articuno and Arcanine sprites??

Also I suggest making their shiny forms after you've completely finished the non-shiny. This way, you can put all your effort into just one sprite per Pokemon then simply recolour.

Hey there, good luck!
Just a tip, save your sprites as PNG not JPEG, as the quality will be much better thus reducing that blur. :)
Oh! No, no, I have been. The individual sprites are all PNG, just that preview pic is JPG. ehehehe...

MrBlack said:
What's wrong with the RBY Articuno and Arcanine sprites??
I just don't like those sprites a whole lot. I think it's a matter of personal opinion when it comes to the RBY sprites anyway-- I remember a discussion on the Shoddy chat where one guy was talking about how creepy he thought RBY Chansey looked, and that's always been one of my favorites. :P I've noticed that most people don't agree with me on the Arcanine one, though. Either way, that one ended up as one of the best so far, which just proves I should work hard on all of them no matter how I feel about the sprite itself.

That's good to know, Canti. And I know, it's not like just revamping sprites is a brand new idea or anything. XD I'm just going to do revamps packaged together as a sprite-set for regular Shoddy.

That's good to know, Canti. And I know, it's not like just revamping sprites is a brand new idea or anything. XD I'm just going to do revamps packaged together as a sprite-set for regular Shoddy.
Ok, well, I'm telling you your free to use the sprites in that thread.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So, considering you could do this with Shoddy, I assume you can use scratch sprites too?
Basically we could do what you're doing now, but with scratch sprites?
Yes you can. I'd suggest checking out Lord Blood's thread on how to update your sprites to HG/SS in the Shoddy Battle section. It's quite in depth.

EDIT: Because I'm nice, here it is. Basically you follow the same steps but save the sprite you want over the pokemon (E.G. Save a drifblim scratch over mdrifblim). Have fun!

Hey, your welcome. And remember, any artwork that is done on the pixel-level shouldn't be resized and should always be saved as a .PNG file. Otherwise it gets distorted and blurry.

A brief question. Which do you guys like more?

The first two sprites are done in the same style as the rest of what I've posted- they stay more true to the RBY sprite and resize to the size of the HGSS Aerodactyl sprite, but they sacrifice overall quality and cleanliness.
The second pair of sprites is further enhanced to copy the shading and detail of the HGSS sprites, but also kept in their original size. It looks cleaner and more "new," but it's also quite small and may seem out-of-place sometimes.
(Both sprites were done by me, btw. I don't know if TVBoyCanti has an Aerodactyl sprite done yet...)

Clearly the ones on the right are much, much better. To put it bluntly, they actually look like pixel art. And they are actually done pretty well, good job.

If you do resize a sprite, ALWAYS resize BEFORE making the sprite. Once you've drawn pixel art, you cannot resize it. If you do, it is worthless.

So, if you wanted to be truly thorough, you'd take the R/B sprite, resize it to 80x80, then pixel-over that. Otherwise, you're gonna have to stick with 56x56.

I'll probably stick with 56x56. It doesn't actually look weird in Shoddy at all, barring certain cases where I'll have to correct so the Pokemon in question is "standing" on the ground circle. Plus, certain pokemon have HGSS sprites that aren't any bigger than that.

Clefable, Chansey, and Butterfree
defy your stretchy ways.
(actually this Butterfree's 59x59, but meh...)

Crobat and Skarmory, who were done early
for the Hodou Masaka RMT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)