Not so pleasant in Pleasanton [VGC Warstory]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I fell asleep at around one, which was probably an omen of what was going to come. I was too nervous to go to sleep, as I wasn't sure my team was good enough. I set my alarm to 5:30 and when I woke up, it was 6:00 and my alarm was going at full blast under my blankets. I was dead tired, but I was also excited to see everyone and battle. I got dressed and we left at 7:00.

We got to the fairgrounds at 7:30, and my brother and I waited outside a few minutes before the doors opened. We sat there while some crazy-ass weeaboo chick kept babbling on about how OP she was for having played RBY. It was loud and boring, and it wasn't even worth it being there that early. At around 9 the event coordinators (who were all drunk, or so it seemed) told everyone to get in the registration or pre-registration line, and pandemonium ensued. Once we got sorted out and registered, we waited for literally three hours. Registration was only supposed to take one hour but there was a fuckton of people and the staff were batshit insane. (One good thing did happen during this whole thing though. The Elesa and Skyla cosplayers decided to hang out and take pictures in front of us. Elesa wasn't much to talk about, but dat Skyla...fapfapfapfap)

Note: Sorry for not giving too many details, I don't want to reveal my team just yet

At around 12 we started battling. I won my first match easily, the guy said that his friend dragged him along and that he just threw a team together. After the battle I met up with Slaymar (Kobe) and Dragonpolabear (Carter). They had also won their matches, and it was great fun talking and hanging out with them. There was literally nothing else to do there, so we just stood around like badasses and showed each other battle videos.

The second match didn't go too well. I was up against a 12 year old that was about 3 feet tall, and I completely mispredicted what he was gonna send out. He KO'd both of my leads in two turns, and then he easily took out the other two. I played horribly and deserved that loss.

I lost again during the third match. We were pretty evenly matched, and we both took out three pokemon each. Once we got to our last pokemon he completely walled and took me out.

I won the next round, but lost the next. Then I won the last two, but by then it didn't really matter. The first two losses pretty much sealed my defeat, and in the end I got 34th place. Kobe and Carter went 5-3 as well, so at least I wasn't alone. What bummed me out the most though was that I didn't really get to meet anyone else from Smogon, I was really looking forward to meeting Saboros and voodoo pimp.

Oh, and my brother got 1st place in Juniors. So I'm going to Nats! Hopefully I can meet up with more people there, today was amazing and I can't wait for this summer.

It's a shame I couldn't get a picture with Kobe and Carter, or meet up with Saboros and voodoo. Oh well, time to prepare for next year!

ALSO: HUUUGE shout out to Lucien, voodoo, Drifblim, Tenodera, and Knights of Wario Land for helping me out with my team. You guys are awesome<3

And now for slaymar's story...

So, hi everyone. I’m slaymar, or you can call me Kobe. I was always interested in the VGC ever since the Pokemon Platinum VGC, but something goes wrong every year. Here’s the list:

2009:
I beat lottery and I lose to a Gengar + Azelf Explosion combo. Glad it was nerfed.

2010:
Sacred Fire. Hit my Blissey. Critical Hit. Good game.

2011:
Gimmicky strategy sucks, really wanted to use Excadrill, and I needed Sandstorm...and that was the end of that.

2012:
This is where my story begins.

Friday, April 13, 2012-
Average Friday? NOPE! Friday the 13th, a great way to start the weekend. My cousin (Ben, Seniors) came over that night to grab some Pokemon and come with us for the upcoming Friday. Since I was already done, I played some League of Legends (I’m not that good, I’ll admit, but my win ratio is about 30 more than my loss ratio) and got some Pokemon off of the trade threads. Dragonpolabear (Carter, my BROOOOOOO, 1st time Seniors) was also making his team, since it involved an odd Gravity team. Nothing much that day.

Saturday, April 14, 2012-
No TCG for me, sorry. Just a lot of last minute training to do to help me with my bro, my cousin, and my bro’s friend (Tyler, Senior, 1st VGC). Also, I had to fix up a few houses with my dad in Pittsburgh. Super fun time a video that I recorded at night, where I just went over what we were doing at 12:00 at night. Will upload soon.

Sunday, April 15, 2012-
The morning starts at 6:58 A.M., where our party of 4 wakes up. Now, BROOOOOOO forgets that STARYU needs to be LEVEL 60 to learn Hydro Pump (Dragonpolabear Fun Fact: “I didn’t use Hydro Pump at all”) and HITMONTOP to be LEVEL 55 to learn Close Combat. So, we get our PIDs ready and we rolled out...with a box of PopTarts.

Anyways, my team (copied directly from my RMT):

Latios [LATIOS] @ Dragon Gem
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 SpDef/252 SpAtk/252 Spd
Nature: Modest
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

TheMantyke’s Latios. This is the main core of my team. Latios deals a ton of damage with a Dragon Gem boosted Draco Meteor. Psychic and Thunderbolt is for type coverage. Although, like standard Latios’, it’s VERY frail.

Infernape [Inferno] @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 116 Atk/140 SpAtk/252 Spd
Nature: Naive
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Heat Wave
- Encore

voodoo pimp's Inferno. Fake Out for awesomeness, Close Combat for punching, Heat Wave for spread attacks, and Encore for locking moves. I actually found myself using Encore a lot more than Hidden Power (Ice), which is cool.

Amoonguss [Mushy] @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpDef
Nature: Bold
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Protect

The Mantyke’s Amoonguss. Amoonguss is an amazing Pokemon. It directs attacks to it, and it NEVER DIES (not really, but still). It’s my punching bag, my status user, and it is my main counter to Gastrodon. It also is good synergy with the next Pokemon:

Suicune [SUICUNE] @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/140 Def/116 Spd
Nature: Relaxed
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Yeah folks, this is the Shiny Suicune from the event. I wasn’t feeling ballsy enough to play around with Sheer Cold, so I took the Calm Mind set (minus Icy Wind). Relaxed nature is set in stone because it’s event Suicune. With Calm Mind, Rest, and a Chesto Berry, this beast will tank…like a BEAST.

Metagross [Ziggs] @ Normal Gem
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd
Nature: Adamant
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Explosion

Hey, hey, you get the pun in the nickname? Get it? Hahaha (League of Legends joke)…anyways. Bullet Punch is priority, which is nice. Zen Headbutt is always good, along with Meteor Mash. It will take most non-STAB Heat Waves, and is immune to Intimidate. Also…BOOM BOOM.

Weavile [Hax] @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Nature: Jolly
- Ice Punch
- Taunt
- Night Slash
- Fake Out

Weavile is my only Taunt user, so I will NOT replace it with Protect. It has amazing coverage with Ice Punch and Night Slash. Fake Out is Fake Out, and everyone loves Fake Out. Expert Belt is to rack up some damage.

The nickname is a pun, involving one of the haxiest battles I ever had. Basically, it was 2-4 with me having only Suicune and Weavile. The opponent double switched knowing that he is going to win, but this…thing pulled through a victory with that 10% freeze on a Metagross. Metagross couldn’t do ANYTHING the entire match, while the enemy Gyrados got a burn from a Suicune Scald. Suicune tanked all of the Gyrados’s attacks, while Weavile did some damage before it fainted, which made it an interesting battle with Suicune “versus all.” Needless to say I won, and I appreciate that the opponent didn’t rage quit.

Little did I know, Hax was going to rear its ugly head to both me and my opponents...more about that later.

Yay! We arrived at THE line! The line that usually only takes 90 minutes! Right? Right? I’m sorry to say that’s not the case. It took FOREVER for us to get through the LINE (3 hours tops). So, I posted my description of what I looked like on the Plesanton VGC thread. When the matches were incoming, I felt a little nervous, because the judge was all like, “Hello, we are going to........announce the Junior TCG winners!” and nothing about the VGC. That was extremely frustrating. One thing that my dad complained about at the VGC was that there were only 5 people registering people. There should’ve been a lot more, or the divisions should’ve been separated into different times.

Alright, Duy, I’m going to prove this quote wrong:
Don't be afraid to say Hi. It's all good and we know its hard to meet new people but it makes it even harder when you're too shy to interact :( Gotta be strong and come up and introduce yourself! We don't bite :P
So, I found the group that surrounded Huy. And so, I awkwardly stood to the side and asked someone, “Are you from Smogon?” He replied, “NAAH (sarcastic), we’re from Skarmbliss.” And so I replied with a, “Very funny.” So, I just listened into the conversation (Huy was showing off some Pokemon Trading Card of something, my DUDES were eating PopTarts [Side note, I was wearing a Reshiram shirt with red exercising shorts that were comfy and easy to wear]), and that same guy said, “Are you in this conversation?” I was PISSED. THAT QUOTE IS BS. I’m sorry, Duy, but it WAS.

Anyways, after HOURS of waiting, ROUND 1! Let’s do this!

R1: Kobe vs. Some kid
I can only remember this kid as the wrestling kid. It had something to do with his sweater and how it was from some wrestling school. Anyways, I led with Latios and Metagross, while he a Hydreigon and a Blaziken. At first, I was scared that his Blaziken was a Dream World one, so I opted to go for the Draco Meteor and the Zen Headbutt. I beat up the Hydreigon, but Blaziken gets a CRIT on Metagross with Blaze Kick. I know that he didn’t EV train; it didn’t seem like he did. After that, it was easy going with Infernape and Latios wrecking the place. Ended in a 3-0 victory.

Score: 1-0

While they were cal-lal-cu-la-ting the results, my dad came out with some Jack-in-the-Box (I’m sorry, there were no Jumbacos). At this point, Deepspeed (Luis) has found me and we chatted about how we wanted to meet the rest of our Smogoneers/Smogonites, mostly “the boy voodoo PIMP”.

R2: Kobe vs. Some other kid
I honestly cannot remember this match at all. I only remember getting the Explosion off and winning the match because of it.

Score: 2-0

At this point, I was feeling fired up and moved onto the next round.

R3: Kobe vs. Another kid
Again, Explosion Normal Gem so win.

Score 3-0

R4: “The most memorable match of the day” Kobe vs. “Colette”
Now, this is where things start going a little off. Right before the match, I talk to Luis and Carter, who were all like, “I’m so jealous of your score,” and then I mention Draco Meteor missing going to screw me over. And Carter tells Luis to pray for that to happen. Colette also mentioned that she only got a 3-0 score because of luck, which we know as hax.

GUESS WHAT.

I lead in with Latios and Weavile. Colette leads with Ludicolo and a Politoed, activating Drizzle. I hit Politoed with a Fake Out, and Ludicolo hits Latios into 49 HP left. I use Draco Meteor and...

...it missed...

And the battle went downhill from there. 0-1.

Score 3-1

SCORE UPDATE:

Seniors:
Ben at 3-1 (Had fought Jeremy Fan/AlphaOmega)
Tyler at 4-0
Luis at 2-2
Carter at 2-2
Kobe at 3-1

Juniors:
Luis’s brother at 4-0
Little Brother, Logan, at 3-1

Not looking good for me. I needed to step up my game.

R5: Kobe vs. “The apparent know it all”
I call that guy that because he was being an arrogant, cocky little...yeah. He says these facts like, “Infernape has Fake Out, Amoonguss has Spore and Rage Powder...” and he was like this the ENTIRE MATCH. I was still PISSED from the last game’s hax. This only made it worse. I lost to a Trick Room team because I didn’t send Weavile out first.

Score: 3-2

*rages in corner*

R6: Kobe vs. Some Girl
I wasn’t feeling up to par in this match because of the earlier hax and being just plain outplayed last match. So, in the end, it was Metagross and Amoonguss vs. Excadrill and Dragonite. I go for the Protect and Explosion...only for ROCK SLIDE TO FLINCH ME. *rages in a different corner*

Hello VGC. Look at your wins, now back to losses. Now back to your wins, now back to your losses. Sadly, your wins don’t cancel losses, but if you spent less time getting HAXED out of games and being outplayed, you could’ve won the VGC. Look down. Back up. Where are you? You’re at your home, devastated and crying in a corner, where hax came in and kicked your sorry little butt. What’s in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It’s the winning prizes and YOU CAN’T HAVE IT. The prizes are now diamond encrusted! Any chance of you winning is impossible when hax comes in. I’m on a Zebstrika.

Score: 3-3

R7: Kobe vs. Bobbie
Hey, Tyler fought against you earlier! I was feeling down, but I still came in with Explosion to save the day!

Score: 4-3

R8: Kobe vs. Some-Another Kid
Alright, there is NO words that can explain this fight. I’ll just leave this here...

47-20618-26052

Score: 5-3

TOTAL SCORES:

Seniors:
Carter at 5-3
Kobe at 5-3
Luis at 5-3
Ben at 6-2
Tyler at 6-2

Juniors:
Luis’s brother at 6-0
Logan at 4-2

Overall, I did reasonably well for this VGC. I will not be going to the Nationals, so feel free to copy my team and check it out. I wish my buddy Deepspeed good luck at Nationals!

PROPS:
-Luis for recognizing me
-For going to the VGC
-Pokemon
-voodoo PIMP, TheMantyke for the Pokemon
-Jack-in-the-Box
-V17 for kicking my BROOOOOOOO’s butt in a 4-0

SLOPS:
-Hax for rearing its ugly head
-That little know-it-all
-BROOOOOOOOO for cursing me
-That group of people who shoved me out
-Not meeting any other Smogoneer because BROOOOOOOOOO didn’t finish the bet we had

Carter on the left, me on the right.

I don’t always take a picture, but when I do, it’s next to a Pokemon.

And I thought I waited long since I got there around 8:45. You shoulda looked for Huy, you can't miss him -> all the other Smogonites. Good job though, nice to see more Cali represent.

I managed to get a pic with (dat) Skyla and Elesa. :nerd:

See you at Nats kid.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I didn't see you either D: And i was too scared to go up to everyone...LOL
I felt the same way last year. But...
Don't be afraid to say Hi. It's all good and we know its hard to meet new people but it makes it even harder when you're too shy to interact :( Gotta be strong and come up and introduce yourself! We don't bite :P
Anyway, glad you had fun, hope you do better next time, and don't hide from everyone :P

Congrats to your Little Brother

My little brother saw one of your brothers matches, and told me he as good. I managed to do better than i expected. Too bad, i got disqualified because i missread that charts, and sat 3 chairs down from m spot. Gotta read them match slips. I was too scared to go up to anyone too, I had no idea who anyone really was or where the rest of the smogoners were. :pirate:

Nice! And lol the last guy he battled beat him for the #1 spot last year. He had the balls to say "You don't stand a chance against me" before they battled. Luckily I taught him well and he kicked his ass!

Nice! And lol the last guy he battled beat him for the #1 spot last year. He had the balls to say "You don't stand a chance against me" before they battled. Luckily I taught him well and he kicked his ass!
Some of those juniors kids are just too cocky.

Alright, I asked Deepspeed to tack on my warstory onto his warstory; hope that all goes according to plan soon!

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
For what it's worth, 'Are you from Smogon' isn't exactly the best question to ask when half of the people standing around us don't have smogon accounts. Just introduce yourself! It's hard when people just walk up to us, ask if we're xxx and don't say anything else. Also I don't say I'm from smogon because frankly I'm ashamed of this place.

Alright, thanks for being understanding, Huy and Duy. First year of Smogon, so I'm admitably a noob at this. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)