NP: Doubles OU Stage 2 - Monster | Mence is banned | Hoopa not Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What is the point of this discussion thread still, I haven't seen all that discussion arguing about whether people think Mega-Salamence is broken or not. We've all just basically dumped our opinion and arguments here in the hope we get posting reqs. And what is there else to be said about this suspect test? These are just 6 pages full of monotony, the same arguments etc

Also it seems like everyone is just skipping over the posts that are longer than a few lines too, yeah, because we all know what we're going to see in the post.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
in my limited experience in the tier, Mega-Mence has shown up in two battles of mine spamming Hyper Voice. It certainly packs a punch, and it's bulky enough to live some hits. Coupled with Intimidate, Salamence is a top tier threat with reason to see why it was banned in the first place. Should it be unbanned? No. It's such a threat to nearly all teambuilds, and it always has an effect on the battle even when it's not on screen (If I use this move, Mence comes in for free etc) I have to agree with the above as well. After reading through the past pages, most of the posts are p redundant (not that mine's isn't) and is mostly for the posting reqs. Someone more experienced gotta bring some fresh info to my eyes.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been seeing a lot of people drawing parallels between Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence, so I'm gonna offer my own views on the similarities and differences between these two Pokemon.

Given how Mega Kangaskhan was our last suspect and the second highest contender for being a broken Pokemon, despite not being broken based on the vote, it is obvious to see why people would use it as a base to show Mega Salamence as broken or not broken.

I'm going to contrast the two Pokemon on a few fronts to show key factors that, in my opinion, make Salamence far more splashable.

Typing
Salamence - Dragon / Flying
Weaknesses: Dragon, Fairy, Ice, Rock
Resistances: Bug, Fighting, Fire, Grass, Water
Immunities: Ground

Kangaskhan - Normal
Weaknesses: Fighting
Resistances: None
Immunities: Ghost
To me, Salamence's key weaknesses lie in Rock, and Ice. Almost every Fairy- and Dragon-type is easily outsped and takes upwards of 80% from Return or is straight up OHKOd by Double Edge so it's unreasonable to list them as solid checks or counters. Ice is a common coverage move on faster Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Genesect, Darkrai, and Deoxys-A. It also has a priority move in Ice Shard and finds a lot of usage on bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Suicune who can take a hit from Salamence. Users of Rock-type moves, such as Rhydon, are typically able to switch into Salamence relatively well and take it down. However, Doubles OU is a more specially orientated metagame so these Pokemon often have a hard time dealing with Salamence's partner.

Salamence's resistances and immunities cover several key offensive types in Fighting, Fire, Water, and Ground. This makes it far easier to switch it into play than Mega Kangaskhan who can only switch into Ghost-type attacks of which there are maybe two viable Pokemon in Gengar and Aegislash. Kangaskhan's troubles are compounded by the fact that it can't reliably beat these Pokemon whereas Salamence often can beat the things it switches into, and if it can't, it has the option of using Dragon Dance.

Pure Normal isn't a bad typing per se, but it does not allow Mega Kangaskhan opportunities to switch in to the same extent that Dragon / Flying does. It can't capitalise off being on the field against certain typings of Pokemon which makes it less splashable in that sense.

Base Stats
Salamence - HP95 / Atk145 / Def130 / SpA120 / SpD90 / Spe 120 - BST=700
Kangaskhan - HP105 / Atk125 / Def100 / SpA60 / SpD100 / Spe100 - BST=590
This is the area I feel Salamence really outshines compared to Mega Kangaskhan. The difference in attack is pretty negligible due to the two abilities they each have. Kangaskhan actually hits slightly harder on neutral hits than Salamence, but the difference is barely significant. The real important stat is speed. Put simply, 120 is hella fast. It beats all the relevant key unboosted Speed benchmarks in doubles with enough room to run an Adamant nature meaning it can actually outdamage Mega Kangaskhan relatively consistently. It also serves to limit the amount of Pokemon that can check it. A lot of Kangaskhan's checks and counters fit into a bracket whereby they outspeed it and OHKO it. Pokemon such as the Keldeo, Terrakion, or Landorus-I. This is simply a less viable option for checking Mega Salamence since it's so damn fast. The list of Pokemon that can outspeed Salamence is small, and the list of Pokemon that can outspeed and OHKO is even smaller.

The difference in defense is hardly trivial either, 130 Defense actually allows Mega Salamence to Dragon Dance on Pokemon that one may be inclined to consider a check such as Landorus-T. Salamence can make use of it's typing and bulk whereas Kangaskhan is often pressured if it opts for a Power-Up Punch.

Ability
Before Mega evolution - There can be no doubt that Intimidate is better than Scrappy or Inner Focus. It helps it set up and also supports it's teammates whereas Scrappy and Inner Focus are often irrelevant and unused.
After Mega evolution - Pretty similar in terms of damage output though I would say Parental Bond is generally better since it breaks Sashes / Substitutes. It does has it's downsides against Flame Body, Rocky Helmet, and other such residual effects however.

Movepool / Moveset
Kangaskhan has a standardised movepool. That is a fact. It can run Crunch, it can run Low Kick, and it can run Ice Punch. The issue is that using anyone of these moves will lower it's overall effectiveness as a set. That said, they do have a specific use on certain teams that makes them suitable at times. The jewel in Kangaskhan's crown is probably Fake Out, a move which sees far less use in ORAS than it did in XY due to the ineffectiveness of Hitmontop and Scrafty in the current metagame. Fake Out is undoubtedly a good move although recently I've put a lot more thought into my usage of Fake Out. Often it is not optimal to use it because it can give momentum away, rather than gaining it. For example, in the turn where you opt to use Fake Out, your opponent may switch in a Terrakion and Landorus-T, a combination which puts you on the backfoot. The point of this is that Fake Out is not a move without opportunity cost and does require smart play.
Salamence also has a standardised movepool, but in a different way. It's most effective set is certainly Dragon Dance, special sets don't have a damage output that can remotely compare to physical ones. Despite being centered around Dragon Dance, there is a lot of room for variation within the set. Salamence has very viable options in: Roost, Substitute, Double Edge, and Earthquake as well as less viable options in: Refresh, Aqua Tail, Dragon Claw, and Fire Blast. This is a huge advantage over Kangaskhan which is much more rigid, and therefore, easier to handle.

Support
I think we've all heard enough about how Follow Me Jirachi is a hella good partner to Salamence so I'm going to attack this idea from a novel perspective. Having specific weaknesses makes it easier to support Salamence. Kangaskhan loses to a bunch of specific Pokemon, but it is also quickly worn down by a lot of Pokemon which it can technically beat. Salamence on the other hand loses to specific typings which can be blanket checked by one or two Pokemon. For Example, Excadrill - particularly Mold Breaker variants - handles Steel-, Electric-, Dragon-, Fairy-, and Ice-type Pokemon which are all threatening to Salamence, or difficult for it to deal with. The subtle difference between the two Pokemon makes Salamence + teammates a more threatening combination than Kangaskhan + teammates.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Drawing parallels to what BLOOD TOTEM said above, it's a very accurate statement. While Kang has the ability to hit twice a turn, Mega Mence has a wider movepool, crazy speed, and better bulk when Intimidate is activated. It also has the ability to run a mixed/special set (not that I advocate it. DDance is the best set currently) but you just never really know what a Mence is running. Even its main STAB (Return or Double Edge) is a toss up, as if you suspect it to have Return and get popped by DE your check is gone/takes more unneeded damage. It's just too damn good for the tier as it stands and it needs to stay where it is.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey guys, while these posts are rare, I'm occasionally seeing things along the lines of "no Pokemon beats Mence + other mon"

While largely true, it should be kept in mind that the opponent isn't the only one with two Pokemon; you do too! Wow! What I'm saying is that when you have two Pokemon you don't have to give the role of beating both opponents to just one

Something to keep in mind when making your arguments :)

The problem with that, arcticblast, is that if they have Mence and Rachi, for example, you're probably losing less momentum if you only have to switch out one mon. Also, in the case of Mence and Rachi, a mom has to be able to offensively threaten both mence and rachi to discourage follow me use.

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
The problem with that, arcticblast, is that if they have Mence and Rachi, for example, you're probably losing less momentum if you only have to switch out one mon. Also, in the case of Mence and Rachi, a mom has to be able to offensively threaten both mence and rachi to discourage follow me use.
you don't have to threaten both because you have two mons

Let's say I have victini and thundurus out. Victini threatens jirachi. Thundurus threatens mence. There's nothing rachi+mence can do except switch out.

edit: heatran's probably a better example than victini since no one runs victini anyways

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In that situation, Prankster would move before Victini, meaning Jirachi could absorb the Thunder Wave, then the V Create and Mence would still be safe to attack Victini. Not to mention MegaMence being faster than Victini.

Mence would still be vulnerable to Thundy next turn, but they'd also have been able to bring something else in aswell.

you don't have to threaten both because you have two mons
That's assuming you already have a combination that can beat Rachi and Mence on the field already. If you have to waste a turn switching in your checks/counters/whatever, that means Mence can either set up a Dragon Dance, or hit your switch-in with a Double-Edge or Return, which will seriously compromise even the best checks. There are a bunch of calcs in this thread showing what damage Mence can do to its best checks.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I did it finally :D
The other half of your reqs is making a post about your thoughts on Salamencite in the metagame. If you're having difficulty with it because English isn't your first language, I can try to find somebody who can help you translate it.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
So I got COIL reqs and now I have to post here so here we go:pimp:

It's no secret that I want MegaMence banned. At a glance, it's already got a really ridiculous stat spread that gives it basically the holy trinity of a Pokemon: Bulk, Speed, Power. Usually, a "balanced" Pokemon only really has two of those (or has some drawbacks if it does have three) and a Pokemon's effectiveness isn't all stats, but it's also important to consider that it also gets what is essentially an LO boost to one of the most spammable STAB types in the meta along with decent typing that gives it some key resists and access to Dragon Dance. With it's considerable bulk, along with Intimidate, it can find its ways to set up a DD. By design of the Pokemon, MegaMence ticks all the boxes.

What does it do to the metagame though? Basically, MegaMence centralizes the meta in a bad way; to say that it doesn't put some considerable pressure to think of ways to beat it in teambuilding, in any shape or form, is a sham. Basically, you have to pack like 1-2 counters to it if you actually want to stand a chance if you face it; building in this meta is only more difficult and more restrictive. Even then, while it has one really good set in DD, they all have multiple variations with possibility of moves such as Aqua Tail, EQ, Sub, Roost, Fire Blast, etc to be used meaning what could be a counter could not be in a turn's passing. Another thing to note is that it makes certain mons weak to it a very huge liability, like one example of these is Amoonguss which it can turn into set up bait and just DD to make the endgame. It also skewers and shakes the meta a bit in that you can never really check most of the good threats anymore with one team and only makes the game a bit match-up based, like you have to deal with more threats and whatnot.

There's also the topic of JiraMence, which is one of the most notorious ways of effectively finding chances to set up DD(s). While MegaMence on its own has its own share of "counters", they can basically get pushed aside thanks to the Follow Me support. Simply put, the pool of would-be counters would decrease even more as they actually can't touch mence at all, and to make matters worse Jirachi has p dank syngery with Mence's weaknesses. Mence is just free to set up DD unless you have some dank spread move (along with a redirector but that's overly specific rofl) or can force Jirachi out, and even then there's nothing really stopping Mence from just attacking from the get-go, switch out and come back again while you have weakened mons as you really can't afford to let it set up. The topic of Mence + Redirection just takes a broken mon and makes it ridic.

Real talk tho there's nothing else to be really said so yeah keep this thing in DUbers,,,

[00:24] @ SpaceBass: Mence should never have been tested full stop
[00:24] memoisleft: im quoting that
[00:25] @ SpaceBass: lol
[00:25] memoisleft: for my posting reqs tm

I'm fairly certain that I will be voting for Salamencite to be banned from doubles. Salamence's Dragon Dance set is something that you can never afford to give a free turn to, and with its many resistances, its pairing with jirachi, and its excellent physical bulk make Salamence too good at setting up with proper support. Compared to other set up sweepers, such as Kangaskhan, Azumarill, and Cresselia, Salamence has incredible speed as well as the ability to boost it, non reliance on the need to half ones own speed HP, and the ability to still deal massive damage even without setting up. Salamence also has many more options with its movepool to get around the Pokemon it wants to, with Aqua Tail and Earthquake.

If I didn't write enough or didn't include enough of my own original thoughts please tell me, but I think the pro-ban arguments have covered just about everything.

Last edited:

Miridy

♩_♩
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay then.
Of course, Unban this thing its way overdue.

Is what I'd say but I changed my opinion during the suspect test, I don't find Mega Salamence broken itself, it is manageable, but the problem I had is simply a resource oriented thing, sure you can check Mega Salamence (even though hyper voice spam and dd with all its varations play differently) and the Jirachi support, but by doing so you need to use too much resources and you may end up having trouble with Mega Khan, Mega Zard Y or even stuff like Mega Diancie.

If we consider the metagame around a single way too much powerful threat like Mega Salamence who after a single turn has the ability to wipe away majority of stuff due to its sheer power, it MIGHT be possible that the Metagame would be able to survive, and adapt, the problem is that the current Doubles OU isn't that way, (not that it's bad) due to the Mega Evolution mechanic, you can focus yourself on the teambuilder so that you can have much better chances against Mega Mence, but you'll end up having trouble against other mega evolutions (and MegaMence still wouldn't be enough to ignore all other mega evolution especially Khan when teambuilding) who aren't on the same level of Mega Mence but are still quite powerful.

Basically I feel that the Metagame is fine as it is, and introducing Mega Salamence again will bring a team matchup problem, as such it's keep it banned for me

From my 70ish battles on the suspect test ladder (just got my coil) I feel as if Mega-Salamance is not broken. its a very powerful and versatile threat that does have some checks. What it lacks is a pure counter, you can throw an ice beam on any pokemon and call it a day but this is not that effective. If you lack at least one or two solid checks it can wreck you pretty bad mid to late match. However, in preparing to just counter Mega-Salamance opens the floor up for other pokemon to put in a solid amount of work against most teams. I pretty much ran a hyper offensive team the whole time with a Mega-Salamance steel dragon and fairy core and the most threatening teams where weather, mainly sand teams that also carried Salamance and trick room. Most of the time that my Salamance died early in a game (or at all) was from an unsuspecting super effective attack. Doubles is a very offensive based metagame right now. It pretty much has two sides, bulky strong attackers and fast strong attackers. Salamance happens to fit in between these two and can effectively with just one or two sets 2hko or 1hko 90% of the meta. I was all unban at the beginning of the suspect test however, i am leaning more to the middle now. I guess my decision will be made after a few more people have got their coil and presented their side of the argument. But Salamance was super fun to use, many different sets and ev spreads you can use.

Ok from my 70-80ish battles on the suspect ladder In my opinion I believe that Mega-Salemence is not broken.It may be a powerful threat that can pull of many things from bulky sub DD, it can run a special set or just the plain max max DD but it does have checks. From what Ive seen there isnt a full counter but there are quite a few checks out there, but putting Ice Beam on half of the team doesnt count. If you dont have mons like Aegi and Heatran who can tank up the Frustrations while still dealing out damage Mence may just run through your team late game with no trouble. With that though while preparing for Mega opens up a wide variety of mons that could be used that arent as used now (such as mega Mawile who could do quite a lot in TR).

With that I ran a more of a fast paced team that my good friend on PS Majore D' Mawile made and I used it to ladder from about I was halfway done with my coil. It used a special based Mega Mence with Hyper Voice and Fire Blast. In quite a lot of the battles the mence died or was crippled enough so that it couldn't do much pretty early in that battle or just getting straight off snipped by an unexpected Ice move that would normally bring it down to 25 or so % (and freeze with the amount of luck I've had on that ladder) and then just sit in the back for most of that battle only coming out for death fodder or when I had Rachi already in. For the team that I was using Trick Room was probably the hardest type of team to face as almost all of my team were just straight up fast attackers

Doubles is already an extremely offensive tier with most of the mons being bulky attackers or fast attackers and mence fits in pretty well here with it being able to fit in both of those rolls just depending on the spread that you use. At the start of the suspect I was leaning more towards to the keep it banned but now that I've actually been able to use it and see what it can do I'm more leaning to no ban and I think its no where near as broken as everyone thinks it just adds another thing to have checks for (we already have like 4 of those mons). In the end Salamence was extremely fun to use with the many different sets it can pull off.

yes mence is a huge powerhouse and a major threat. yes he has great synergy with jirachi. however there are definitely sets that beat him

speed control: icy wind users get huge mileage on mence for the speed control and the 4x weakness to ice. I don't run trick room teams, but I'm sure mence doesn't fair well against TR. Also, running taunt against raichi prevents redirects, as well as preventing DD and substitute from mence.

another very important "check", Bisharp and milotic get a free attack boost from intimidate, and while +1 bisharp can't do much to mence, it can take on jirachi, and boosted milotic can OHKO salamence and survive unboosted attacks: +2 0 SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Salamence: 628-740 (189.7 - 223.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

additionally, weavile can outspeed and OHKO mence with ice punch. Run prankster taunt mon with milotic or weavile, easy counter specifically for mence as well as threaten jirachi
252 Atk Weavile Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 372-436 (112.3 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
life orb weavile can potentially OHKO jirachi:
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 68 Def Jirachi: 367-432 (90.8 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

yes, these two do not fair particularly well against the rest of the meta, and are in fact usually not used, there are definitely things that can be done to mence that make it less than unstoppable. Cripple with will-o-wisp, take away 1/4 health with stealth rock and discourage switching, taunt usage, priority moves, and speed control.

I know that these are just a couple examples of low tier threats that become more viable against specific meta threats, but a more reasonable example is heatran + Cress, heatwave icy wind. Another would be landy-i + diancie, earth power diamond storm (earth power can ohko jirachi, guaranteed ko with diamond storm hit. As for mence, diancie could fair better, but 2hko isn't bad 208 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 210-248 (63.4 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

people are smart, I think the current meta is stale and could use some shaking up. There are untapped mons that have more use than people would expect. I think allowing mence in the meta will foster growth and diversification of the meta instead of stagnation of viable and unviable mons.

tl;dr, mence has checks and balances that are fairly easy to implement into the meta and should be allowed.

I got COIL reqs and now I have to post a comment here, so I'll try my best with my english (._.).

I think Mega-Salamence shouldn't be banned because there are many useful checks. As example it has real problems with Icy Wind or priority attacks like ice shard. They are often used by Keldeo or Weavile and both of them have a high usage and are quite good in Doubles Ou. Also Mega-Mence can be outspeedet by many pokes in the round it's mega-evolving. This is a problem because on the bulky dd set i wouldn't play protect. On the special set i would run protect, but you lose momentum, if you use it.

The bulky dd set needs Dragon Dance/Substitute/Frustration, Return or Double-Edge and one move for coverage like Earthquake or Dragon Claw. So there is no space for protect. Maybe the Sub could be replaced, but without it Salamence can be easily stopped by things like Sableye with Will-O-Wisp priority.

Normal-Salamence ability Intimidate is quite a good ability in doubles, but could also be a problem. There are some Defiant or Competitive Pokemon which get boosts and not a drop. So sometimes it is difficult to get Normal-Salamence on the field.

But altough it has some problems it's one of the best Pokemon in Doubles Ou. It has a huge Bulk, a fantastic ability (not only the Mega, also the Normal-Salamence has a good ability) and a movepool which allows it to be used physical or special.
I think if it won't be banned it will be one of the top threads in the tier but in won't be to centralizing. So in the new meta every team needs to have one or two Mega-Salamence checks but there will be still many viable Pokemon. Also Mega-Mence is a nice addition to almost every offense team.

These are my thoughts about Mega-Salamence and I hope my english was understandable xD.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay then.
Of course, Unban this thing its way overdue.

Is what I'd say but I changed my opinion during the suspect test, I don't find Mega Salamence broken itself, it is manageable, but the problem I had is simply a resource oriented thing, sure you can check Mega Salamence (even though hyper voice spam and dd with all its varations play differently) and the Jirachi support, but by doing so you need to use too much resources and you may end up having trouble with Mega Khan, Mega Zard Y or even stuff like Mega Diancie.

If we consider the metagame around a single way too much powerful threat like Mega Salamence who after a single turn has the ability to wipe away majority of stuff due to its sheer power, it MIGHT be possible that the Metagame would be able to survive, and adapt, the problem is that the current Doubles OU isn't that way, (not that it's bad) due to the Mega Evolution mechanic, you can focus yourself on the teambuilder so that you can have much better chances against Mega Mence, but you'll end up having trouble against other mega evolutions (and MegaMence still wouldn't be enough to ignore all other mega evolution especially Khan when teambuilding) who aren't on the same level of Mega Mence but are still quite powerful.

Basically I feel that the Metagame is fine as it is, and introducing Mega Salamence again will bring a team matchup problem, as such it's keep it banned for me
to anyone who misread my post(s), this is exactly what i was trying to say, written more simple and therefore admittedly better than myself.

Holiday

on my best behavior
yes mence is a huge powerhouse and a major threat. yes he has great synergy with jirachi. however there are definitely sets that beat him

speed control: icy wind users get huge mileage on mence for the speed control and the 4x weakness to ice. I don't run trick room teams, but I'm sure mence doesn't fair well against TR. Also, running taunt against raichi prevents redirects, as well as preventing DD and substitute from mence.

another very important "check", Bisharp and milotic get a free attack boost from intimidate, and while +1 bisharp can't do much to mence, it can take on jirachi, and boosted milotic can OHKO salamence and survive unboosted attacks: +2 0 SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Salamence: 628-740 (189.7 - 223.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

additionally, weavile can outspeed and OHKO mence with ice punch. Run prankster taunt mon with milotic or weavile, easy counter specifically for mence as well as threaten jirachi
252 Atk Weavile Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 372-436 (112.3 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
life orb weavile can potentially OHKO jirachi:
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 68 Def Jirachi: 367-432 (90.8 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

yes, these two do not fair particularly well against the rest of the meta, and are in fact usually not used, there are definitely things that can be done to mence that make it less than unstoppable. Cripple with will-o-wisp, take away 1/4 health with stealth rock and discourage switching, taunt usage, priority moves, and speed control.

I know that these are just a couple examples of low tier threats that become more viable against specific meta threats, but a more reasonable example is heatran + Cress, heatwave icy wind. Another would be landy-i + diancie, earth power diamond storm (earth power can ohko jirachi, guaranteed ko with diamond storm hit. As for mence, diancie could fair better, but 2hko isn't bad 208 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 210-248 (63.4 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

people are smart, I think the current meta is stale and could use some shaking up. There are untapped mons that have more use than people would expect. I think allowing mence in the meta will foster growth and diversification of the meta instead of stagnation of viable and unviable mons.

tl;dr, mence has checks and balances that are fairly easy to implement into the meta and should be allowed.
You've mentioned Milotic, Weavile, fast prankster mon, Bisharp, Cress and Heatran, as well as a few other mons. Why do we have to use 2-3 of these mons a team in order to beat Mega Mence, let alone needing another mon to beat the partner. Sure, Weavile can beat Jirachi and Mence, but unless you've paired Weavile with a follow me mon or can somehow prevent Mence from attacking Weavile, RIP that. You can't bring in the majority of these mons safely bar Milotic, and even that doesn't want two Double Edge's. This also doesn't include all the mons that may die beforehand. Why "shake up a stale meta" as opposed to keeping it arguably fun and for the most part balanced?

You've mentioned Milotic, Weavile, fast prankster mon, Bisharp, Cress and Heatran, as well as a few other mons. Why do we have to use 2-3 of these mons a team in order to beat Mega Mence, let alone needing another mon to beat the partner. Sure, Weavile can beat Jirachi and Mence, but unless you've paired Weavile with a follow me mon or can somehow prevent Mence from attacking Weavile, RIP that. You can't bring in the majority of these mons safely bar Milotic, and even that doesn't want two Double Edge's. This also doesn't include all the mons that may die beforehand. Why "shake up a stale meta" as opposed to keeping it arguably fun and for the most part balanced?
There are a lot of people that feel strongly about this in both directions and have good reasons, but for me what it comes down to is that I like playing against a lot of different teams. I get tired of playing against maybe 10 or so different pokemon total in the high ladder. And yeah, you can argue that it's fun and balanced, but I think keeping the game fresh is important.

Also, the mons and tactics I mentioned are not meant to suffice for all of mence's checks and counters, they are meant to prove that when faced with a challenging problem players can come up with new and creative solutions to them. The meta will change and evolve to meet the challenge

p2

Banned deucer.
I don't think MegaMence should be unbanned because of the effect it has on the tier. It's incredibly centralizing and its stats are just too good as well with 145 Atk and 120 Speed, being able to find plenty of set up opportunities because of its insane defense coupled with Intimidate. Its stupidly high defense lets it shrug off Rock Slides from pretty much everything, it can even set up on Lando-T Rock Slides. You can throw all the Intimidates you want at it, but it still hits really hard, even at -1 and if you aren't stopping it with Intimidates, it just nukes the entire tier.

And like others have said, even status like paralysis isn't enough to completely stop it because its bulk is just so good, it just shrugs off so many attacks and its presence in the meta forces obscure coverage moves like HP Ice on Skymin (not to mention, it can actually survive it and plenty of other HP ices) or random scarfers just to catch it off guard. Mence creates the opposite of a healthy meta as it just completely restricts teambuilding because it forces you to have at least 2 checks for it and sometimes even more, which leaves a matchup based meta where you can have massive holes in your team against other megas. It should not be unbanned.

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There are a lot of people that feel strongly about this in both directions and have good reasons, but for me what it comes down to is that I like playing against a lot of different teams. I get tired of playing against maybe 10 or so different pokemon total in the high ladder. And yeah, you can argue that it's fun and balanced, but I think keeping the game fresh is important.

Also, the mons and tactics I mentioned are not meant to suffice for all of mence's checks and counters, they are meant to prove that when faced with a challenging problem players can come up with new and creative solutions to them. The meta will change and evolve to meet the challenge
I've seen this logic used before- in NU we know it as "don't hate; innovate." The problem is that innovation can go both ways. It can be seen as creativity or it can be seen as Mence warping the metagame around itself, and I still believe it's the latter. As Cheek Pouch mentioned, if you're running 2-3 dedicated Mence checks on your team, that's not innovation; that is overpreparing for an overly dominating metagame force. All the calcs that you mention come with Mence completely unboosted as well. With redirection support, it's easy to gain a DD boost and outspeed shit like Weavile. Don't try Ice Shard either:
252 Atk Weavile Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 204-240 (61.4 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (and this is without factoring Intimidate)
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 334-394 (118.4 - 139.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Also, Speed control works against literally everything fast. Mega Mence is no more vulnerable to it than a lot of speedy Pokemon are. M-Diancie is also an extremely shaky check to Mega Mence. It must be at high health in order to check, not even counter, M-Mence. Finally, did you really mention Stealth Rock as a way to deal with Mega Mence? Stealth Rock is a bad move in DOU that nobody should be using.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing- to say that DOU is stale right now is total bullshit. It's actually very healthy as of now and bringing Mega Mence back would only make it worse.

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
there are new players here

thats ok

but theres a lot you need to learn as a new player that you simply will not learn on the ladder. the first is that unlike in VGC, you have to pay legitimate consideration to switchins. It's not enough to say checks exist to something like Mega Mence if nothing can switch in safely. A typical VGC game might have one to two switches on each side, a typical doubles ou game can have ten to fifteen. all setup sweepers, mega mence included, benefit immensely from this; you can typically stop setup in vgc from team preview as long as you have a lead to beat it, but in doubles you more or less have to take into account a free turn that mega mence will get by coming in on things it can beat—this isnt hard because it beats a hell of a lot, and since it boosts speed it's impossible to check offensively so u cant let it set up at all. The only way to stop it from setting up is basically to play chicken with it and leave in things it ohkoes in the hopes you can cripple it if it goes for setup.

the second is that the ladder is utter garbage and will teach you nothing. frankly im not even sure why we do ladder reqs anymore. if you want to learn how the mence meta really plays you have to challenge people in the doubles ou room

it may not feel like it right now because to you mence meta is new and fresh, but the metagame is far more centralized with mence than without. The reason the high ladder uses only ten pokemon is that ladder kiddies are shitty players who suck shit and don't know shit; sylveon, thundurus, and heatran arent even top 10 pokemon (sylveon not even remotely) but theyre like three of the five most common on the high ladder because good players dont use the ladder. In reality, the metagame as of now is spectacular because there is no one top threat—the same thing that made late era dpp so great. there's a balance of power between the ~10 top threats, and even if most teams have some of these threats there's lots of room for innovation with lower-ranked pokemon. I'd say there are probably 60-100 viable Pokemon in DOU right now and im not even a creative builder.

Mence fucks this up by becoming the top threat. Metagames centralized around a single pokemon are garbage. Shit like Milotic and Sableye seeing use may seem like "fun innovation" at first but you will quickly come around to viewing it as "stupid bullshit" when it gets old and it will get old, we had to deal with this shit for three months and it got super old, and i dont want to have to go on the fucking ladder again when that happens so i can vote to re-ban it.

---

So let's talk about Salamence vs Kangaskhan. I said Laga's post was retarded and I damn well stand by that. Salamence is broken on its own merits, not because it's similar to kangaskhan and you can't check both. There are two main things Mence has over Kang: Speed and resists.

One of the best ways to beat Kang is to outspeed it. Here's a list of tier 2 or higher Pokemon that outspeed and check Kang which get outsped and checked by (aqua tail / double edge) Mence: Keldeo Mega-Diancie Terrakion Talonflame Gengar Blaziken Lando-I; and of course if you let Mega Mence use DD then you get to add literally every pokemon that beats Kang by outspeeding it, including Lando-T, Darkrai, Mega Gengar, Skymin, and more.

That's another thing about Kang vs Mence. It's so much less scary to let Kangaskhan set up than it is Mence. I mean don't get me fucking wrong, +2 Kangaskhan is scary, but it still gets beaten by all its offensive checks just as easily. Because of this, when Kangaskhan comes in, you don't have to immediately go into panic mode. It's not the right play for every situation but it's usually perfectly reasonable to just keep playin ur game and then once Kang gets a KO you get a free switch to something that can force it out. If Mega Mence sets up, all of its faster checks turn into sac fodder. Typically it's better to use fast checks than bulky checks for things because fast checks are able to do it multiple times, whereas bulky checks usually cripple themselves in order to do their job. Not to mention most of mence's bulky checks just get bopped by Jirachi support (standard cune icy wind is a fucking 3hko guys stop saying that icy wind is a counter to mencerachi). Because of all of this it's entirely 100% vital that you do not let Mence set up, like, ever. Which leads to the shitty gameplay I outlined in this post.

The second thing is resists. Simply put Kang has no ability to play defense. If ur pokemon can do a thing, it can do said thing to Kang. Because of this, Kangaskhan doesn't have an easy time switching in or setting up; it typically has to come in after a KO and usually takes a big chunk if it tries to set up without support. However, Mence does have Pokemon that it 100% beats, which means that it can actually come in and set up on its own without too much difficulty. This gives it the ability to actually attempt setups multiple times throughout the match, which means that you can force your opponent into the shitty sac-something game that i described in my post i linked.

The other thing that mence having actual resists does is heavily shape the metagame. If you lose hard to mence, you become much worse. The only Pokemon that really loses hard to Kanga is Cress; every other pokemon can either cripple it with status or bonk it with a powerful STAB move if it tries to set up. Sure pokemon with better Kang matchups become better, and pokemon with terrible Kang matchups become worse, but there are so few pokemon with truly terrible Kang matchups that it's not a big deal.

Also like the only solid Mence switchin is Thundurus and i am 1000000% not in favor of any metagame shift which drastically increases the viability of that annoying pos pokemon.

there are new players here

thats ok

but theres a lot you need to learn as a new player that you simply will not learn on the ladder. the first is that unlike in VGC, you have to pay legitimate consideration to switchins. It's not enough to say checks exist to something like Mega Mence if nothing can switch in safely. A typical VGC game might have one to two switches on each side, a typical doubles ou game can have ten to fifteen. all setup sweepers, mega mence included, benefit immensely from this; you can typically stop setup in vgc from team preview as long as you have a lead to beat it, but in doubles you more or less have to take into account a free turn that mega mence will get by coming in on things it can beat—this isnt hard because it beats a hell of a lot, and since it boosts speed it's impossible to check offensively so u cant let it set up at all. The only way to stop it from setting up is basically to play chicken with it and leave in things it ohkoes in the hopes you can cripple it if it goes for setup.

the second is that the ladder is utter garbage and will teach you nothing. frankly im not even sure why we do ladder reqs anymore. if you want to learn how the mence meta really plays you have to challenge people in the doubles ou room

it may not feel like it right now because to you mence meta is new and fresh, but the metagame is far more centralized with mence than without. The reason the high ladder uses only ten pokemon is that ladder kiddies are shitty players who suck shit and don't know shit; sylveon, thundurus, and heatran arent even top 10 pokemon (sylveon not even remotely) but theyre like three of the five most common on the high ladder because good players dont use the ladder. In reality, the metagame as of now is spectacular because there is no one top threat—the same thing that made late era dpp so great. there's a balance of power between the ~10 top threats, and even if most teams have some of these threats there's lots of room for innovation with lower-ranked pokemon. I'd say there are probably 60-100 viable Pokemon in DOU right now and im not even a creative builder.

Mence fucks this up by becoming the top threat. Metagames centralized around a single pokemon are garbage. Shit like Milotic and Sableye seeing use may seem like "fun innovation" at first but you will quickly come around to viewing it as "stupid bullshit" when it gets old and it will get old, we had to deal with this shit for three months and it got super old, and i dont want to have to go on the fucking ladder again when that happens so i can vote to re-ban it.

---

So let's talk about Salamence vs Kangaskhan. I said Laga's post was retarded and I damn well stand by that. Salamence is broken on its own merits, not because it's similar to kangaskhan and you can't check both. There are two main things Mence has over Kang: Speed and resists.

One of the best ways to beat Kang is to outspeed it. Here's a list of tier 2 or higher Pokemon that outspeed and check Kang which get outsped and checked by (aqua tail / double edge) Mence: Keldeo Mega-Diancie Terrakion Talonflame Gengar Blaziken Lando-I; and of course if you let Mega Mence use DD then you get to add literally every pokemon that beats Kang by outspeeding it, including Lando-T, Darkrai, Mega Gengar, Skymin, and more.

That's another thing about Kang vs Mence. It's so much less scary to let Kangaskhan set up than it is Mence. I mean don't get me fucking wrong, +2 Kangaskhan is scary, but it still gets beaten by all its offensive checks just as easily. Because of this, when Kangaskhan comes in, you don't have to immediately go into panic mode. It's not the right play for every situation but it's usually perfectly reasonable to just keep playin ur game and then once Kang gets a KO you get a free switch to something that can force it out. If Mega Mence sets up, all of its faster checks turn into sac fodder. Typically it's better to use fast checks than bulky checks for things because fast checks are able to do it multiple times, whereas bulky checks usually cripple themselves in order to do their job. Not to mention most of mence's bulky checks just get bopped by Jirachi support (standard cune icy wind is a fucking 3hko guys stop saying that icy wind is a counter to mencerachi). Because of all of this it's entirely 100% vital that you do not let Mence set up, like, ever. Which leads to the shitty gameplay I outlined in this post.

The second thing is resists. Simply put Kang has no ability to play defense. If ur pokemon can do a thing, it can do said thing to Kang. Because of this, Kangaskhan doesn't have an easy time switching in or setting up; it typically has to come in after a KO and usually takes a big chunk if it tries to set up without support. However, Mence does have Pokemon that it 100% beats, which means that it can actually come in and set up on its own without too much difficulty. This gives it the ability to actually attempt setups multiple times throughout the match, which means that you can force your opponent into the shitty sac-something game that i described in my post i linked.

The other thing that mence having actual resists does is heavily shape the metagame. If you lose hard to mence, you become much worse. The only Pokemon that really loses hard to Kanga is Cress; every other pokemon can either cripple it with status or bonk it with a powerful STAB move if it tries to set up. Sure pokemon with better Kang matchups become better, and pokemon with terrible Kang matchups become worse, but there are so few pokemon with truly terrible Kang matchups that it's not a big deal.

Also like the only solid Mence switchin is Thundurus and i am 1000000% not in favor of any metagame shift which drastically increases the viability of that annoying pos pokemon.
I concede. you win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)