np: NU Stage 2 - Part of Your World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the main thing keeping me from Serp is the fact that poison's are rather common in NU. I'll give subCM another go since you guys seem to like it. Its speed really is great which is what sets it apart from its other grass companions.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
So I've been trying out Throh. I like it, the bulk is great, Circle Throw is amazing, but the lack of recovery really irks me. It really can't do Bulk Up reliably like Gurdurr can. I've been using the 252 HP / 252 SpD Bulk Up, Circle Throw, Payback, and Rest set. It does well againt stuff that can't really hurt it and it can take almost any hit, but without recovery, it just not reliable enough. I have a cleric on my current team (Vileplume), and Resting up then having 'plume heal Throh works pretty well. I just wish it had Slack Off or Drain Punch ...

So what are the best Throh sets? How do you use it?

I'm trying this ATM:

Choice Band
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant
Guts

-Circle Throw
-Payback
-Stone Edge
-Superpower

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Those EVs are horribly inefficient, but CB actually sounds surprisingly good; I hadn't thought about it before. It would be a lot better if it was a bit faster, though, maybe.

The Bulk Up set's lack of recovery can kind of be compensated for with Chesto Berry.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
But ChestoRest only works once.

Rather than Bulk Up sweeping like Gursurr would do, I think that Throh is best played in brief ... bouts. i.e. switch into something it can threaten, maybe Bulk UP once or twice if possible, KO one Poke, then switch out when a check appears. This way it doesn't take too much damage, and can still pose a threat.

But the Choice Band set already does this. Ugh, Throh, what do we do with you??

Ice-Eyes, the EV spread is inefficient? What would you suggest?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
you know, i feel ninjask is underestimated a lot, without a rock blast user, taunt, or phazing, it can be really annoying to face, and the results of passing a swords dance can be deadly, especially with speed boost.

most people use ninjask as a lead, but if you lead with ninjask, your doing it wrong. have something that can beat stealth rock users (jaskwak anyone?) and send it in mid game when everything that can hit it from behind its sub is gone. i run sub/tect/SD/BP, total taunt bait but the payoff is huge....

if you can pass a swords dance and two speed boosts to ANY physical pokemon (or musharna) they will wreck the opponent's team, no questions asked, i personally like to use carnivine because it hits harder than leafeon, can set up its own SDs and has access to sleep powder. musharna is devastating with speed passed to it after setting up one CM.

so, um, yeah, opinions on ninjask? i think its an excellent pokemon that is on the edge of providing too much support, but things like a 4x Sr weakness and fraility hold it back to an extent

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Marowak is actually quite a good Anti-metagame pokemon with top teams relying on the Utility of Golem, be it the Standard set meant to last throughout the match or Max Speed Lum to get SR out guaranteed.

Marowak beats this easily thanks to Bonemerang and can use its threat of Bonemerang vs. Golem/Probopass to get a free Sub as they switch out hoping to salvage their mon for Rocks later. Once their SR user/Rock Blast user is gone Marowak can still be used as a Baton Pass recipient for Ninjask. Maybe once people realize this potential the duo will become infamous and maybe something will actually get banned.(Maybe Absol can follow suit, but only Trop, MolK, and I can dream right? :''[ )

This however is all theorymoning, will give input once I playtest with it on free time. Current Playtest needs: Porygon(Pee sucks), Chris's SubWisp Gardy, and NinWak.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah EBeast, I was going to post something about Marowak. It's absolutely lethal. I ran into the first Jynx I'd seen in a long time, and it switched in after a KO hoping to force me out, then used Substitute. you all know what happens next. :)

I think that the standard NU Marowak should be Bonemerang > Earthquake. Sturdy users, namely Golem and Sawk, and Substitute users are rife in this metagame, and a powerful multi-hit move screws up all kinds of things that foes might try. This is kind of why Cinccino is so good right now.

Thats not the only reason its so good lolol. Technician+good coverage+those multi hit moves+decent speed is what makes it so good.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Of course, but I'm alluding to how weak the metagame in general is to multi-hit moves. Cinccino takes advantage of this perfectly.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
It's interesting how the metagame has shifted now that Probopass and Bastiodon have become more common. Rock Blast is becoming common too. Due to all of this, Jynx usage is shot. I've only seen a single one in the past few days!

Substitute users in general are having a hard time with all of the multi-hit moves flying around. Marowak especially, Bonemerang is amazing.

I just realized something: Tangela gets Amnesia. Could this be used to help patch up its flat-out terrible Special Defense, or is it a gimmick?

I'm thinking of trying out Corsola with regenerator and having a moveset of:

Corsola "Tough Coral"
Calm
Light Clay
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Recover
- Scald

Think this could work guys?

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's interesting how the metagame has shifted now that Probopass and Bastiodon have become more common. Rock Blast is becoming common too. Due to all of this, Jynx usage is shot. I've only seen a single one in the past few days!

Substitute users in general are having a hard time with all of the multi-hit moves flying around. Marowak especially, Bonemerang is amazing.
time to use absol i see

I just realized something: Tangela gets Amnesia. Could this be used to help patch up its flat-out terrible Special Defense, or is it a gimmick?
that would be a gimmick, probably still gets at least 2hkoed through +2 SpD and does nothing in return, so... would always rather run leech seed or sleep powder or whatever you're running that over > amnesia

With a single Amnesia, Eviolite and 252SpD with a Calm Nature, Tangela has a chance of getting 2HKO'd by Gorebyss and Jynx with SR up. Magmortar still 2HKOs it.

It's an absolute shame Tangela doesn't get Light Screen, only Reflect...

I'm thinking of trying out Corsola with regenerator and having a moveset of:

Corsola "Tough Coral"
Calm
Light Clay
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Recover
- Scald

Think this could work guys?
Corsola's poor stat distribution and equally bad defensive typing does not seem to lend itself as an effective Screener/Wall. I personally don't think it will work very well but that doesn't mean you can't try it anyway!

In theory it could make the leech seed variant unstoppable, but it's mostly a gimmick, the same as using synthesis on Tangela. Due to regenerator Tangela has no need to stay in on threats it can't handle as it can easily afford to switch about.

In theory it could make the leech seed variant unstoppable, but it's mostly a gimmick, the same as using synthesis on Tangela. Due to regenerator Tangela has no need to stay in on threats it can't handle as it can easily afford to switch about.
It wouldn't make Leech Seed Tangela unstoppable.

1: Grass types with Toxic
2: Criticals
3: Anything with Sub that can set up on it

It wouldn't make Leech Seed Tangela unstoppable.

1: Grass types with Toxic
2: Criticals
3: Anything with Sub that can set up on it
Sub/Seed/Amnesia with an attack to break subs would be incredibly hard to kill if you could get it behind a sub with a few boosts (not much will break the sub in one hit). In saying that it's not likely you'd pull it off and I wouldn't be trying to set up Amnesia on Tangela so it's still a gimmick. It could potentially annoy the crap out of someone on a team with Toxic Spikes however.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Well, the Subseeder to use if you want (nearly) infinite substitutes + Toxic Spikes damage is Subseed Exeggutor. 'IF' you can grab a single substitute, Sub + Protect with Sitrus berry means basically you get your health back above 50% even without Leech Seed. I've used that set and while it is a gigantic troll, it's nowhere near broken. Even if that Tangela set works as intended, it probably isn't 'broken.'

Also, Sub / Seed / Amnesia leaves you with a single free moveslot. It's either Giga Drain to avoid Taunt, or Sleep Powder / Toxic / Stun Spore. This way, you are prone to getting set up by a lot of stuff, regardless of what you choose. Mesprit can start killing stuff right away with SubCM, Grass/Poisons still beat you to the ground, Garbodor starts setting up Tspikes which ruins your Tangela and the rest of its team. You even lose to SubSD Leafeon, something you are supposed to 100% counter! I feel that Subseed in itself isn't the greatest strategy in NU because there's so many Grass-types (and/or Poison-types around).

Well, the Subseeder to use if you want (nearly) infinite substitutes + Toxic Spikes damage is Subseed Exeggutor. 'IF' you can grab a single substitute, Sub + Protect with Sitrus berry means basically you get your health back above 50% even without Leech Seed. I've used that set and while it is a gigantic troll, it's nowhere near broken. Even if that Tangela set works as intended, it probably isn't 'broken.'

Also, Sub / Seed / Amnesia leaves you with a single free moveslot. It's either Giga Drain to avoid Taunt, or Sleep Powder / Toxic / Stun Spore. This way, you are prone to getting set up by a lot of stuff, regardless of what you choose. Mesprit can start killing stuff right away with SubCM, Grass/Poisons still beat you to the ground, Garbodor starts setting up Tspikes which ruins your Tangela and the rest of its team. You even lose to SubSD Leafeon, something you are supposed to 100% counter! I feel that Subseed in itself isn't the greatest strategy in NU because there's so many Grass-types (and/or Poison-types around).

I think you missed reading half my post as I stated twice it was a gimmick, it could potentially be very annoying but it's in no way broken at all, not even slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)