np: NU Stage 2 - Part of Your World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've messed around with sun using setters like whimsi and volbeat. But ofcourse that was on the PO server, Idk if Whimsi is NU here.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
no, whimsicott is not nu here, we have to make due with the inferior cotonee (although you must settle for 5 turn Sun)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can I just point out that rain is really fucking awesome in this metagame? I threw together a rain team in about 10 minutes or so, an it's been doing remarkably well on the ladder. I have three rain setters, of which volbeat is probably the most phenomenal, and I abuse Gorebyss, jynx, and something else I can't remember lol. Rain is an awesome playstyle and really fun to use as well! There's just so many ways to make a rain team :)

I intend to try out sun next. With things like exeggutor and victreebel lurking in the tier, it's sure to be quite the adventure :P

i was wondering who was using that rain team, didnt know it was you. i remember sweeping you with a bulk up scraggy

speaking of scraggy, smith's suggestion of bulk up is a full stop to most psychics, good idea if your team is weak to psychics. it has the capability to sweep as well if you can set it up, definatley and intersting mon to try.

also, anyone tried swanna in the rain? or at all?, seems like a decent mon (inb4 trop)

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
In my opinion Jumpluff>Cottonee as Sun inducer. Sleep Powder and the ability to run Heat Rock without compromising the bulk is much better. And is not like 700 speed in the sun is lacking ... Cottonee has an slower u-turn though. Whimsicott may end up falling to NU, is just time.

Btw, Hariyama was in NU range in January stats, it could be a nice addition to NU ^^

Has anybody tried Seismitoad? I used it a bit on my rain team at the end of last round and it was pretty awesome, is nice for late game sweeping or to soften rain ''counters'' for the other members. It's quite unpredictable (can go either physical or special) and it even has good bulk. It lacks Ice Beam though...

Scraggy -.-

I was totally unprepared for that stupid thing. Anyways, I completely forgot that seismitoad existed lol... At least it gets grass knot...? It can also go mixed, and sludge wave hits grass types as well, though it still sorely misses ice beam. Am I forgetting any other rain sweepers? Floatzel perhaps?

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Scraggy -.-

I was totally unprepared for that stupid thing. Anyways, I completely forgot that seismitoad existed lol... At least it gets grass knot...? It can also go mixed, and sludge wave hits grass types as well, though it still sorely misses ice beam. Am I forgetting any other rain sweepers? Floatzel perhaps?
Swanna obviously

Pelipper is great in rain. Hurricane+Hydro Pump and Rain Dish to heal off Life Orb recoil is a good idea, he just needs a good switch-in to Electric-type attacks. (he outspeeds the Rock-types and 1hko's all of them with Surf/Hydro Pump in rain) Water/Flying gets perfect neutral coverage on NU, and he actually doesn't need the power of Life Orb to get KO's on the rock-types of the tier. Roost or a different 4th move is useful, but he could run a different Hidden Power for specific targets.

Backing Swanna, I've seen it in use before and STAB Hurricane really does a number to just about anything that isn't a Rock or Steel type. Those are beaten by STAB Water-type moves in the rain as well, though if Sturdy is active on something like Golem you have to be pretty cautious.

Anyways, I'm throwing my support behind Cinccino! It's like, incredibly awesomely good because a lot of Pokemon run Substitute or Sturdy, and since most of Cinccino's coverage comes from multi-hit moves that's a huge plus. Technician-boosted Tail Slap is doing a lot to anything that isn't too physically bulky, or at the very least most offensive mons. LO Cinccino and Sub Cinccino both can absolutely demolish teams if played correctly or are saved until lategame when everything is properly weakened. Scarf Cinccino I haven't used personally but you gotta love that it's the fastest relevant Scarfer in the tier and outspeed EVERYTHING that doesn't have a boost and most Pokemon who have one, bar Ninjask. It's kinda weak but it serves as an awesome revenge killer.

That said, I love Combusken with all my heart and soul! ^_^ use LO Special Attacker more people

i was wondering who was using that rain team, didnt know it was you. i remember sweeping you with a bulk up scraggy

speaking of scraggy, smith's suggestion of bulk up is a full stop to most psychics, good idea if your team is weak to psychics. it has the capability to sweep as well if you can set it up, definatley and intersting mon to try.

also, anyone tried swanna in the rain? or at all?, seems like a decent mon (inb4 trop)
I came across a bulk up Scraggy.

I was dissapointed, I was easily able to set up on it with Sub CM Mespirit and kill it with Thunderbolt, although I did have the sub up as Scraggy came in, and I do run a physically bulky Mespirit.

Also, Swanna is probobly one of the better offensive Water-types in the teir. Water/Flying is a potent STAB combination, and is actually unresisted. Swanna can take things special, or mixed, and has Roost. Base 98 Speed is also pretty tempting for Specs or Scarf.

I mean, you could run a support set with Tailwind, a Mixed LO attacker or a Weather-abuser with Rain Dance and Hurricane.

In fact, Rain Dance/Hurricane/Surf/Roost seems like a potent self-supporting Rain attacker.

Also, I'm not too sure that Pellipper can OHKO Cradily and a specially defensive Regirock.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I came across a bulk up Scraggy.

I was dissapointed, I was easily able to set up on it with Sub CM Mespirit and kill it with Thunderbolt, although I did have the sub up as Scraggy came in, and I do run a physically bulky Mespirit.

Also, Swanna is probobly one of the better offensive Water-types in the teir. Water/Flying is a potent STAB combination, and is actually unresisted. Swanna can take things special, or mixed, and has Roost. Base 98 Speed is also pretty tempting for Specs or Scarf.

I mean, you could run a support set with Tailwind, a Mixed LO attacker or a Weather-abuser with Rain Dance and Hurricane.

In fact, Rain Dance/Hurricane/Surf/Roost seems like a potent self-supporting Rain attacker.

Also, I'm not too sure that Pellipper can OHKO Cradily and a specially defensive Regirock.

at that time, i was testing dragon tail over crunch, i remember that match, i would have koed mesprit if i had had crunch :/, not to mention you were at +4 and it still took two hits to ko

alomomomola is really awesome you guys it can toxic something then just wish + protect while the enemy dies. it just DGIF about any physical attackers except leaf blade serperior which i actually saw earlier. And it passes massive wishes.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
alomomomola is really awesome you guys it can toxic something then just wish + protect while the enemy dies. it just DGIF about any physical attackers except leaf blade serperior which i actually saw earlier. And it passes massive wishes.
Unfortunately, it dies to any strong special attacker, and subsd leafeon sets up all over it due to dat base 40 sp. atk n_n

TROP

Unfortunately, it dies to any strong special attacker, and subhoneclaws Gabite sets up all over it due to dat base 40 sp. atk n_n
Edited for hipspter pokemon.

Also,I seriously hope none of you guys here send Alomomo to take on Swanna,just saw my logs and counted about 35 battles where it died after a surf+hurricane.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Rotom-F is an extremely underrated threat currently; not enough teams are prepared for its awesome coverage. Sure, it has to rely on Blizzard to deal damage, but people still use Focus Blast on things that don't have other options, right? Anyways, the SubSplit set can run through teams with a F/W/G core, as Thunderbolt 2HKO's Torkoal and other defensive fire types while Blizzard 2HKO's even Specially Defensive Camerupt.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Rotom-F double stats sounds good (I have a friend that use Charge Beam rotom-f with success in RU) but I don't like relying on a 70 accuracy STAB to win as I'm unlucky. Still sounds decent, I might try it if I have time.

About Swanna/Pelipper discussion, Pelipper has agility if you feel like using it, and Hydro Pump/Hurricane backed up by Agility, LO and Rain Dish sounds really cool. I would like Swanna better if it already got Hydration but it's illegal atm.

Beartic could be a beast under the rain but again Swift Swim not released, damn, fuck you game freak.

So like, Ampharos.

Amazing Sp. Atk, bulky all around, has Static, Heal Bell, Screens, Cotton Guard... if it were only faster, and didn't have such a 4MSS.

Okay I'm sure you guys are all sick of hearing MoltenKyurem rave about BU scraggy but I've been using it and it's a fantastic mon. The typing is great, but really what makes him stick out is SHED SKIN OMG. This thug just doesn't care about status, para nada. BU + rest makes him a fantastic stallbreaker, and he's just a good glue mon to make sure that Misdreavus and co. don't ruin your whole team with will-o-wisp. That and he's good to switch into spore XD

breh

強いだね
Yeah, agreeing that Scraggy is fun. I hate that it loses to BU mons, but if you let it set up, it doesn't fucking die. exeggutor can't OHKO it with leaf storm without a boosting item for god's sake.

EDIT: thought it was scarf, I guess it was specs lol

TROP

Yeah, agreeing that Scraggy is fun. I hate that it loses to BU mons, but if you let it set up, it doesn't fucking die. exeggutor can't OHKO it with leaf storm without a boosting item for god's sake.
Actually,even with specs Exeguttor CAN'T OHKO Scraggy,nigga is that bulky.

at that time, i was testing dragon tail over crunch, i remember that match, i would have koed mesprit if i had had crunch :/, not to mention you were at +4 and it still took two hits to ko
Ah, so it was you.

I remember Dragon Tail now.

Although I do sacrifice some Sp.Atk EV's for Defense, because I need the speed to Sub/SM on certain threats before I get staused/sub broken, so the bulk has to come from Sp.Atk.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Has anyone been reaching out past the standard sets of the metagame? I mean I know we're being creative with stuff like Scraggy (which is a good thing!) but have you given thought to - and preferably playtested - other effective sets that may be skipped over because the standard sets are simply more common? I played a few matches with a special Samurott last night (don't forget, his base Special Attack is actually higher than his Attack!) and it absolutely decimated the standard Samurott's checks and counters, like Quagsire. You can go a long way in teambuilding simply by messing around with sets, because many Pokemon can power through their most common checks simply by changing a move or two. Has anyone else had success using sets that deviate from the norm? If so, give examples!

I've been using Intimidate tauros and it's super underrated, I really prefer it to his Sheer Force set. His physical bulk just skyrockets and he can still hit pretty damn hard with 100 base attack. I've also been using a cool solrock set but there's hardly such thing as a standard solrock so w/e ;)

Actually, Seismitoad is really fucking awesome in the rain. It has a much higher Speed stat than Gorebyss or Huntail, meaning that it isn't outspeed and KOed by shit like Scarf Rotom-S, or other random Scarfers. It's Speed means it can afford to run a Modest nature - with a Modest nature, it still hits 494 Speed in the rain, outspeeding even positive natured base 100 Speed Pokemon. It has phenomenal coverage with Hydro Pump / Earth Power / Grass Knot / Sludge Wave - Sludge Wave easily OHKOes Leafeon and Exeggutor, two of the most dangerous Grass-types in NU. The only thing that can really wall the shit outta Seismitoad is Specially Defensive Amoonguss and Altaria, but even then, they are risky checks since Seismitoad can viably run Hidden Power Ice over Sludge Wave. Despite Seismitoad's rather average Special Attack, it hits super hard with its STAB Hydro Pump in the rain, not to mention the Life Orb boost.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I agree, seismitoad is awesome, though I think Hp Grass is better because most water NU pokemon are light and etc etc. Oh, and I would like saying that Ground STAB is so nice for a swift swimmer, it hits grass-poison pokes and jynx hard!

Another good swim sweeper I have tried is armaldo, which despite being outspeed by all scarfers, it hits so hard and has really good STABs, especially Bug, which takes away common threats to water types. And Swords Dance is amazing too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)