np: UU - Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur with that. However, I'm not sure with people keeping their fire counters alive when Rain teams are so dominant on the ladder these days. Obviously, it depends on what your opponent does. They do just take the risk of countering your team, and risk actually meeting a proper Rain team and possbily getting obliterated. It's probably an option to use around in tournaments where people don't expect it though.
I totally agree, they dont usually keep thier fire counters the first few times you play, but when they know your strategy they start playing you better because they know the whole of your team. They change the way they play, which in essence was the reason that we were catching them out in the first place (relying on them sacrificing their checks first)
Actually it might be good idea to play a mixed team and a pure rain team on the ladder and switch between matches to really baffle opponents. Especially if you start in the same way.

I've been using a combination of Trick Room and Sunny Day recently, and that seems to work pretty well for a team I made for fun. Dual weather can be hard to pull off, but in the case of combining Trick Room and sun (or rain I guess) the sudden shift from making everything of theirs slow to making what you yourself use really fast takes people off guard a lot. Even if it's not as successful as other teams, it's fun as hell to play.

I've been using a combination of Trick Room and Sunny Day recently, and that seems to work pretty well for a team I made for fun. Dual weather can be hard to pull off, but in the case of combining Trick Room and sun (or rain I guess) the sudden shift from making everything of theirs slow to making what you yourself use really fast takes people off guard a lot. Even if it's not as successful as other teams, it's fun as hell to play.
Are you talking about using both at the same time or not. Someone on the sun thread was talking about using both to power up things like sunflora and eruption camerupt; that needs too much set up IMHO.
What's up with all the Scarf Houndooms?
There is one very good reason for scarf Houndoom; the explosion of dugtrios on the ladder.

I can't quite make head or tail of the metagame just yet. I'm just feeling my way in with some familiar concepts and the odd random thing thrown in to try out, and it seems that most other players are doing the same. One thing I have noticed so far though: is it just me or is Slowbro everywhere at the moment?

There is one very good reason for scarf Houndoom; the explosion of dugtrios on the ladder.
I knew that would happen though! Raikou has got its work cut out yet again in order to be a proven BL.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If that's the reason, then you might as well run mixed NP because with just 128 Att EVs, it's capable of OHKOing Dugtrio with Sucker Punch, even if you don't use a boosting nature. It's also useful for beating your opponent to the punch when they try to use priority as a means of revenge killing, so that it will either KO first or at least do some damage before it goes down.

I knew that would happen though! Raikou has got its work cut out yet again in order to be a proven BL.
And you yourself are contributing to the dugtrio trend =P

I have noticed afew more slowbro but the big one im surprised at is i have seen alot more Entei (maybe the news of him getting flareblitz has raised his profile?) with the CM Sunny Day set being most common. Its odd because before i was just about the only person using him regularly, now i have to drop him to stay original.
It probably also doesnt help that ive been singing his praises on alot of threads for quite awhile now.

EDIT:
If that's the reason, then you might as well run mixed NP because with just 128 Att EVs, it's capable of OHKOing Dugtrio with Sucker Punch, even if you don't use a boosting nature. It's also useful for beating your opponent to the punch when they try to use priority as a means of revenge killing, so that it will either KO first or at least do some damage before it goes down.
Interesting, maybe it is not a simple as i thought, still could be a contributing factor.

SubDugtrio easily avoids Sucker Punch though, and is Dugtrio's most effective set for that reason.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Laddering under deep blue sea, and I pretty much went 1 loss in the ladder out of 12 something games with a hail team. I still believe its the most consistent style of play out there, kind of like stall. As for stand-out threats, I believe that there isn't any but the closest one would probably be Moltres at the moment.

Actually, on the ladder and on YaMs logs ni the other thread i have noticed alot of Hitmonlees. I wonder what has prompted this. (i dont expect it to last long)

ScarfDoom sounds like a terrible idea... but each to his own. Also, I think you could just use 4Atk Houndoom to OHKO Dugtrio with a layer of Spikes.

Edit:

4Atk Houndoom vs 4Hp Dugtio: 84% - 99.5%

Also,

Actually, on the ladder and on YaMs logs ni the other thread i have noticed alot of Hitmonlees. I wonder what has prompted this. (i dont expect it to last long)
Really? I expect him to hang around for a LONG time. After SR he 2HKOs damn near everything (as well as outspeeding them). His weaknesses are easy as hell to cover... Ghost/Psychic? Hellllo, Skuntank/Absol/Drapion.

Let it be said that I STILL don't think Raikou is BL. And I'm on the fence about Froslass.

Also, any suggestions for a good ghost type on my team? It has a HUGE fighting weakness, and I'm going to have to fiddle with it again, but I do want a Ghost type now, and I can't choose one.

Easy. Post-Cresselia syndrome. Whether they end up being prevalent for long or not, players are going to start trying out some of their favorite Pokemon again that were rendered near-useless in the Cresselia metagame.

Hitmonlee is yet another good reason why offensive Moltres should always be Timid.

Really? I expect him to hang around for a LONG time. After SR he 2HKOs damn near everything (as well as outspeeding them). His weaknesses are easy as hell to cover... Ghost/Psychic? Hellllo, Skuntank/Absol/Drapion.
I thought you might reply, i know you have been pushing him. But in all the logs i saw from YaM he was just bait for Uxie to come in and set up more rain. He has trouble as it is with Uxie, Slowbro (which is everywhere atm), Weezing (also rising in popularity), Spiritomb (other ghosts with substitute become a prediction battle), 2HKOs on Tangrowth and Donphan need LO and Adamant. Those are the best/most common physical walls atm (steelix seems to have fallen in use as Swellow has).

I used to really like Hitmonlee (waaay back) and used him alot, but he is just too hard to switch in. You get one go on predicted TWaves otherwise it is resigned to revenge kills.

Easy. Post-Cresselia syndrome. Whether they end up being prevalent for long or not, players are going to start trying out some of their favorite Pokemon again that were rendered near-useless in the Cresselia metagame.
Thats what i thought too.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I guess we finally agree on something GBA.
LO Hitmonlee is a terror, 2HKO even Donphan who switches in. Once he's in, he can really start damaging things. I find packing a strong pursuit users to take out ghosts and Uxie is extremely helpful.

I guess we finally agree on something GBA.
LO Hitmonlee is a terror, 2HKO even Donphan who switches in. Once he's in, he can really start damaging things. I find packing a strong pursuit users to take out ghosts and Uxie is extremely helpful.
*sigh* i guess im being outvoted on this one.
I like Hitmonlee and he is powerful, but i still think its usage will fall.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Simple:

-Dark STAB
-Higher SpA
~By a single point?
~I'd take Eruption over Dark stab any day.

I'm not proclaiming that Typhlosion is better (it's far worse)
But Typhlosion pulls off the scarf set better AND has better speed to boot.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SubDugtrio easily avoids Sucker Punch though, and is Dugtrio's most effective set for that reason.
Problem is, they don't see it coming most of the time. I sure wouldn't, as most players tend to carry NP/FB/Dark Pulse/HP. Also, I'd be a lot more wary if I saw LO, so there's a chance it's not getting that free KO regardless.

Hey guys I'm new here but I've been playing on shoddy since the start of the cresselia period of the metagame. One of my favorite pokemon to use has been Sceptile but I've been having trouble getting its set down. I find that even if I know they're going to switch in chansey I don't want to risk doing nothing with focus blast so its just a wasted slot to me. Are there any better sets than Leaf Storm/Energy Ball/HP Ice/ Focus Blast to use on Choice Specs Sceptile?

These are the only two sceptile sets that I like...

sceptile @ Leftovers/ Life Orb
252 SPA 252 SPE
Leaf Storm
Hp Ice
Leech Seed
Substitute

sceptile @ Life Orb
252 ATK 252 SPE
LeafBlade
EQ
RockSlide
Swords Dance

SubSeed Sceptile can stall for an eternity.
SD Sceptile is one of the better late game sweepers.

Thanks! I've only been using specially based sceptile so far but the SD set looks pretty deadly. I didn't think Sceptile had the attack to pull it off until I checked its analysis page again.

As you mentioned Sceptile doesn't have great attack so don't expect to steamroll teams even after SD. He has perfect coverage and above average speed which is what makes him a great mid-late game sweeper.

I've used a sub liechi sceptile to decent success. +3 Overgrow Leaf Blade does tons of damage to pretty much everything, though max special attack sub seed Sceptile is still imo the best Sceptile set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)