np: UU Suspect Test Round 2 - Cold As Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know how many Pokemon learn Roar? Tons. Many of which can easily OHKO both a Smasher and an Espeon. Just because the few most common ones may not be able to dosesn't mean they don't exist. Arcanine, Rhyperior, Mamoswine, Houndoom, Drapion, etc. all can both phaze and KO. Espeon can't switch in freely if it is going to be KOd.

And even if you can't OHKO, just doing big damage is good enough. There is such thing as priority for finishing things off.
Your forgetting the most IMPORTANT fact...the smash passer...gorebyss/huntail vs. the pokes you named...they can just easily KO all of them with ease hahaha..ppl arent stupid..if I see a rhyperior switch into my gorebyss right when i smash..you damn right im going for that KO..AGAIN!! ppl arent just switching espeon on BP teams in for the fun of it.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Victini: Easily counterable and frail as all get out. Bulky water and/or pursuit much? Also, if you switch in a bulky water to take the V create, you can either recover it off somehow, or switch in your counter to the predicted switch in. Definitely not broken w/o sun.

...frail? 100/100/100 = frail? Really. Even after a defense drop you can't call it frail. Pursuit is always a gamble because no Pursuiter in UU can OHKO it if it decides to stay in and they will all die to V-create. Sure, Suicune and Slowbro can take hits from V-create, but neither likes Electric moves. Without sun it may be significantly easier to deal with, but it is still utterly broken. Its usage has gone down because of the lack of sun teams, but when used properly, its power really has not dropped at all.

If you're so worried about wobbuffet (something you shouldn't since is in almost no team) is don't carry 3 choiced pokemon, and play around him, unless your pokemon has 4 attacking moves you're in a good position, you can use a sub/SD/DD/etc... while he CounterCoats, or you can attack if he encore's, it's rellying on prediction, but so does wobb, if he wan't to kill anything not choiced he'll have to think what will you do, most people CounterCoats immediatly, and if they encore, you have a sub up so you won't be KOed (or if you're worried about being use to set-up you can switch)

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're so worried about wobbuffet (something you shouldn't since is in almost no team) is don't carry 3 choiced pokemon, and play around him, unless your pokemon has 4 attacking moves you're in a good position, you can use a sub/SD/DD/etc... while he CounterCoats, or you can attack if he encore's, it's rellying on prediction, but so does wobb, if he wan't to kill anything not choiced he'll have to think what will you do, most people CounterCoats immediatly, and if they encore, you have a sub up so you won't be KOed (or if you're worried about being use to set-up you can switch)
Do you actually play UU? I'm using Wobbuffet, panamaxis is using Wobbuffet, FlareBlitz is using Wobbuffet, and I'm just talking about the people I saw use it last night. You can't play around a faster Wobbuffet with Tickle and Encore, I hate to tell you. You seem to be under the impression that Wobbuffet is usually used to kill fast, offensive Pokemon--that is rarely the case, except in certain specific situations. Ordinarly you use Wobbuffet to Encore and Tickle slow walls, so a Pursuit user can remove them easily. So unless you use Substitute Chansey, I really don't see how what you are saying applies.

Wait what? I was referring to how people use Azelf leads. Ambipom can Fake Out to do some damage on Azelf, then Taunt, Double Hit or U-turn. ._."
I was thinking too narrow, to my team. Azelf speed ties with ambipom, so there is a decent chance I will get at least 1 screen/taunt you first.

the entire point was about Misdreavus not having Prankster for its DW ability. You misunderstood me apparently.
I believe I did.

also, for Trick, BP teams are prolly gonna be carrying Substitute half the time, so you need to smash the sub first then switch in your Trick user. And worse, you have to pray that your +1 whatever can outspeed my +2 whatever, and Choice Scarf just makes things worse actually since its now a lot harder to revenge.
I will admit, trick can be a pain, but it doesn't single handidly win the game. On my team, the only poke that trick would actually hurt is smeargle, and Gorby to an extent. Everything else not only won't mind, but will actually like a scarf (unless its tricked a band/spec, but it that case, barring azelf, I will probably be able to set up a sub at that point).

Do you actually play UU? I'm using Wobbuffet, panamaxis is using Wobbuffet, FlareBlitz is using Wobbuffet, and I'm just talking about the people I saw use it last night. You can't play around a faster Wobbuffet with Tickle and Encore, I hate to tell you. You seem to be under the impression that Wobbuffet is usually used to kill fast, offensive Pokemon--that is rarely the case, except in certain specific situations. Ordinarly you use Wobbuffet to Encore and Tickle slow walls, so a Pursuit user can remove them easily. So unless you use Substitute Chansey, I really don't see how what you are saying applies.
I would like to make a motion. I would like forever now, to coin the phrase of Wobbuffet tickling and going to a pursuit-er as TickleTrapping, if it sparkles.

Bullet Punch Hitmontop trolls Froslass like no tomorrow. It's amusing to see how many people attempt to Taunt Hitmontop's 'Foresight', only to get smashed in the face with a SE Bullet Punch.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I agree that this is one good way of using Wobbuffet, I personally don't like a faster Wobbs, and run max defenses. Using that set, Wobbs is definitely better for taking out offensive threats than defensive ones.

Regardless, I do not believe Wobbs is broken at all. It is very good, but especially since team preview lets you know who you are contending with, you just have to play around it. Maybe if Encore started working properly on PO, letting it be even more deadly to offensive Pokemon, I would change my mind, but right now it is just a good Pokemon.

breh

強いだね
yeah Wobbtrio is annoying as fuck.

Definitely not unbeatable (I almost beat FB, but failed due to not seeing Balloon at one point) but really, really annoying.

Toxic Spikes seriously injures the strategy, though.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Regardless, I do not believe Wobbs is broken at all. It is very good, but especially since team preview lets you know who you are contending with, you just have to play around it. Maybe if Encore started working properly on PO, letting it be even more deadly to offensive Pokemon, I would change my mind, but right now it is just a good Pokemon.
"Play around it?" How, exactly?

"Play around it?" How exactly?
Run a team where every single team member knows u-turn? (lol not really)

In all honesty, you could probably get away with it in this UU though. There's a lot of good users of U-turn/Volt Switch *cough*Staraptor/Victini/Jolteon/Azelf/Celebi/Flygon/Galvantula/Crobat*cough*

breh

強いだね
I'm fairly sure U-turn is affected by counter. It just damages your next pokemon.

maybe a combo of normal rotom and zoroark? the two can Volt Change/U-turn to the other and Rotom is even unaffected by Arena Trap.

Conversely, just use mixed Zoroark. Run enough attack for Sucker Punch to OHKO Dugtrio and use Night Daze (or Dark Pulse) on Wobuffet.

I'm fairly sure U-turn is affected by counter. It just damages your next pokemon.

maybe a combo of normal rotom and zoroark? the two can Volt Change/U-turn to the other and Rotom is even unaffected by Arena Trap.

Conversely, just use mixed Zoroark. Run enough attack for Sucker Punch to OHKO Dugtrio and use Night Daze (or Dark Pulse) on Wobuffet.
It does hit the switch-in, but ideally you'd be catching it with U-turn on the switch and then going to something that could KO it after residual damage. :3 There's also the advantage that for a lot of those wobb would expect a special attack or setup and use mirror coat/encore hoping to trap it in a useless move.

With zoroark, it only takes 40 Atk EVs and a Life Orb to KO duggy 100% of the time. No hazards necessary, unless it puts some EVs into HP.

I haven't face a fast wobb, so i might not have the full picture, but Wobb still slow vs common attackers and Set-up Sweepers, if Wobb uses encore then he is risking being 2HKOed, which he is actually sturdy enough to avoid unless SE attacks, but will likely take one mon if this doesn't have a good enough HP

PS: U-turn is actually great as long as you swich to a ghost type poke (not affected by counter), it will remove a big chunk of health and you can't encore it (not easily), volt swich works to, but then you need a dark type to come in, actually, any ghost with good attack or dark pokemon with good SpA should counter Wobb since he can't do anything to them more than encore them (which unless you'r opponent has cobalion, is not really a lost for you)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
What about the part where it has so little use it can't even stay in the tier.

If you want to ban something, it really should be used enough to even make the usage cut. How on earth do you justify a ban for a Pokemon that can't even get enough of a foothold to stay in the tier.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If the best players are using it in a way that makes it blatantly broken, usage arguments are null and void, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, is anybody else in support of giving Staraptor the quick boot? That's sounding pretty appealing to me atm.

You can't counter Wobb. You can check it, but it is uncounterable because you don't have a choice of what it comes in on. If it just so happens to come in on a Pokemon with Volt Switch or U-Turn and you're not locked in on a different move then maybe you're countering it. No U-Turn or Volt Switch in UU does that much significant damage outside of CB Staraptor/Flygon.

It doesn't matter how used it is - if it's broken, it's broken. It's no surprise that as you get higher up the ladder people start using it a lot more (the current number one ranked player in UU uses Wobbuffett to great effect in conjunction with Chansey and Dugtrio).

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Also, is anybody else in support of giving Staraptor the quick boot?
No. You don't understand what the quickban is for. It's for stuff that is so ridiculously overpowering that you literally cant beat it, even with 3 or so checks. Something akin to Rayquaza in OU, or if Thundurus or something dropped to UU...

Tbh, I'm not even sure about Staraptor anymore. The only set that I'd argue is broken is the LO Sub/Roost set. CB set isn't broken anymore than stuff like CB Flygon or CB Heracross - and the reason I say that is because those Pokemon too are capable of 2HKOing every Pokemon in the UU metagame. That's the whole reason for running Choice Band on any Pokemon is to turn 3HKO's into 2HKO's.

I'm still leaning towards it being broken due to LO Sub/Roost, which is broken IMO, but the CB set isn't that different to other CB sets, and the CS set can be stalled out (just about) by stuff like Milotic.

The reason Staraptor is broken beyond belief is the scarf set. It outspeeds and 2HKOs the entire meta with neutral attacks. If you can hit the opposing pokemon with a neutral attack, which really isnt hard considering that Staraptor has perfect neutral coverage outside of Rotom, you'll 2HKO that pokemon unless its evolite metang or something equally dumb. To make things worse, some people are smart and pair Staraptor with other hard-hitting birds. This is a stupidly effective strategy that makes many games near the top of the ladder come down to "who spams brave bird more". It's a terrible, one-dimensional meta.

Bad Ass said:
No. You don't understand what the quickban is for. It's for stuff that is so ridiculously overpowering that you literally cant beat it, even with 3 or so checks. Something akin to Rayquaza in OU, or if Thundurus or something dropped to UU...
That sounds a lot like Kyurem Staraptor to me.

Tbh, I'm not even sure about Staraptor anymore. CB set isn't broken anymore than stuff like CB Flygon or CB Heracross - and the reason I say that is because those Pokemon too are capable of 2HKOing every Pokemon in the UU metagame.
No, they aren't. CBFlygon doesn't even come close to 2HKOing the metagame. CBHera does not 2HKO Nidoqueen (Other bulky poisons), Gligar, Dusclops, and maybe a few others that I can't immediately remember.

This is a stupidly effective strategy that makes many games near the top of the ladder come down to "who spams brave bird more". It's a terrible, one-dimensional meta.
In the words of FizzyStardust: "Brave Bird f**** everything". Brave Bird is ridiculously strong, and Starraptor is annoying to counter when it's scarfed. Without priority or something with ridiculous defense, even with foddering off a poke, it's nigh impossible to counter.

Chansey,as mentioned before, meets all the criterion for a quick ban. It has taken down-

Okay, these are my impressions after plenty of laddering:

- Chansey is Chansey. Running an all physical team and it still manages to piss me off on occasion by either sponging Flare Blitz/Brave Bird and causing my poke to suicide or walling absurd shit like CB Arcanine Close Combat and then paralyzing it.
and another post which I can't find testifying having beasts like Arcanine lose in 1v1 fights (physical sweeping set). Get it out of here along with Wobbs, Zapdos, and Mew. Stupid Mew >.> Will-o-wispin' mah lead Mamo!

jas61292

used substitute
You can't counter Wobb. You can check it, but it is uncounterable because you don't have a choice of what it comes in on. If it just so happens to come in on a Pokemon with Volt Switch or U-Turn and you're not locked in on a different move then maybe you're countering it. No U-Turn or Volt Switch in UU does that much significant damage outside of CB Staraptor/Flygon.

It doesn't matter how used it is - if it's broken, it's broken. It's no surprise that as you get higher up the ladder people start using it a lot more (the current number one ranked player in UU uses Wobbuffett to great effect in conjunction with Chansey and Dugtrio).
By that logic, Dugtrio is uncounterable and should be banned. I am not arguing that Wobbs is not a force to be reckoned with, but there are so many ways to beat it. Someone above mentioned mixed Zoroark. Really, any Zoro can work. Dark types using special attacks or a physical ghost are untouchable to Wobbs, and using Substitute screws it over as all it can do is Encore it, switch and try to break it before it's team gets killed. I can go on.

Wobbuffet, while amazing (in more than just Pokemon battling), is not broken as you guys are making it out to be.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Pray tell us, how do you get Zoroark in on Wobbuffet? Answer: usually after it has taken out something else.

Yes, offensive teams may have less trouble against Wobbuffet. Many of the posters in this thread are discussing its effect on more defensive modes of play.

By that logic, Dugtrio is uncounterable and should be banned.
the difference between wobb and duggy is that duggy doesn't affect flying types or pokes with levitate. wobb affects everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)