NU Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using a Suicide Lead Relicanth with a Lum Berry and also a Timid Scarf Drifblim and they both work great. I also have 3 sweepers and a Specs Glaceon.

The Relicanth is almost guaranteed to let me get up rocks, except when I'm Taunted.

In one of my matches, I let a Focus Sashed Shedinja set up 2 Swords Dances, and it was a pretty big threat, with X-Scissor and Shadow Sneak.

There's going to be a lot of gimmicks for awhile; "lol NU." Sun and Rain will be popular early for "being fun" and easy themes to build on. The tier will settle after awhile, but it'll be hard to gain footing right away when there's no structure and every other team is completely off base with another. Like EM, NU is looking to be my favorite tier, but not until it settles. The gimmick teams that purposely consist of bad pokemon will bug me.

To those that want to rape, use hail.

I've played 1 NU match, and got raped by Tauros and Specs Tangrowth =(
That was fun.

But after that, I've seen some scary things like the return of hail stall, and a Gligar baton pass team.
I've yet to see a gimmick rain team or sun team. But yeah, Hail will rape....

I'm currently looking for a good counter, and Entei sounds good on paper. Too bad every stallrein runs roar. ._.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Had my first NU Battle, it was interesting. The enemy Tauros survived a -1 explosion at 1% health! xD

Also Tangrowth is crazy, it survived a +2 X-Scissor from Adamant Kingler. Crazy. Also my opponent forgot about Hyper Cutter (and brought in ineffectual indimidators). Kingler is a crazy BP target.

Does anyone know if they are planning on implementing a NU Ladder (or whatever the tier name happens to be)?

So far in my one Match....hail is lol.

Well, weather might be easier to stop with the now-more-viable Golduck. Can easily switch in on sun sweepers and make them take a turn of sunlight, threatens some rock types with it's water typing and CM, and absorbs ice type attacks.

And yeah, hail is lol. Both Glaceon and Walrein are lmao

Well, weather might be easier to stop with the now-more-viable Golduck. Can easily switch in on sun sweepers and make them take a turn of sunlight, threatens some rock types with it's water typing and CM, and absorbs ice type attacks.

And yeah, hail is lol. Both Glaceon and Walrein are lmao

Well the funny thing is, I didnt even like using Walrein, I even tried to sac it.

The real Clincher was Glaceon which seriously swept 5 of your team.

Snover is awesome as ever, you couldnt take it down :).

Here are a few problems...

1) So, the Snover, not long ago in the same suspect as Abomasnow to be placed into Limbo, but failed, is apparently allowed? In general, there should be an NU Limbo tier because apparently all the NFEs that aren't being Limboed in UU (I don't think there's any right now) except for Chansey, is allowed in this tier, which we can include things like Dusclops, Haunter, Kadabra, Sneasel, Rhydon, Machoke, Hippopotas and Snover (whom all deserve a mention).

2) There are some Pokemon that are simply too powerful, or too tanky that are quite OBVIOUS that they shouldn't be in this tier, whether a test is at all necessary to complete the Smogon formality or not (this test would be similar to testing Salamence in UU to see if it's too strong or not)... Examples are:

Offensive: Marowak, Tauros, Slaking, Rampardos, Entei, Pinsir, Ursaring, Lickilicky, Floatzel, Linoone, Jynx, Camerupt, Kangaskhan, Zangoose, etc.

Defensive/Support: Shuckle, Tangrowth, Regigigas (110 all defensive stats), Gastrodon, Regice, Walrein, Snover, Quagsire, Cradily, and Jumpluff (to an extend for Support).

3) What's the point of doing the tier by usage? Why can't the tier be based on the strength and capability of Pokemon? Some Pokemon aren't used because they're outclassed by better Pokemon (such as Pinsir by Heracross and Kadabra by its evolution Alakazam), but by no means it's a weak-ass Pokemon that should be displaced into such a low tier to wreck havoc. Look at Linoone. With the gain of Seed Bomb, not it can take out Rocks quite easily.

Gluttony Salac STAB BellySpeed can really be put to use, since there aren't really that many good Steels anymore and only 2 fully evolved Ghosts (even they're prone to Shadow Claw unless CB Banette uses Sucker Punch, which means another free set up). With Momento Jumpluff and Dual Screen users available due to the massive amount of Pokemon in this "tier", which I can barely call a tier other than a mash of random Pokemon thrown together just because they didn't make the UU mark, Linoone isn't hard to set up if the opponent is not prepared. Many other Pokemon are like so, such as Marowak. Pokemon like it, along with some other stuff I listed earlier, are like dealing with Garchomp in OU... If you don't build a good enough portion of your team around that thing, you're going to get killed. CB Tauros is scary, I tell ya. With rain, things like Qwilfish, Rock Head STAB Head Smashing Relicanth, then also Gorebyss can really eat some stuff alive... I doubt Golduck can survive in this place that easily.

1) There will be bans on more powerful things.

2) While that's true, there's a lot of theorymon in your "nominations". Just because there are strong pokemon does not mean they'll be too strong.

3) Because you can't accurately measure a pokemon's "strength" and it really depends on the pokemon around it; a pokemon is not individually strong (Scizor would not be #1 if every other OU pokemon was Steel, Kyogre would not be uber if every pokemon had Water Absorb and was part ground, etc).

Don't be stuck in the mindset that "NU is for sucky pokemon." Yes, there are strong pokemon. But remember that they were in UU too and didn't break it; what's to say they'll "break" NU?

Here are a few problems...

1) So, the Snover, not long ago in the same suspect as Abomasnow to be placed into Limbo, but failed, is apparently allowed? In general, there should be an NU Limbo tier because apparently all the NFEs that aren't being Limboed in UU (I don't think there's any right now) except for Chansey, is allowed in this tier, which we can include things like Dusclops, Haunter, Kadabra, Sneasel, Rhydon, Machoke, Hippopotas and Snover (whom all deserve a mention).
No because then we'd have the same problem that caused us to have to need to reboot UU in the first place, having a BL tier completely based on theorymon and avoiding "miniature-OU." The point is, we don't know if they're broken or not until they are tested. If they are, then they can become suspects and be voted out if they are indeed broken. Until that situation arises though, there should not be any theory-bannnings or theory suspectings, as that's just theorymon, and not fact. Let the tier develop and let us actually see what is and isn't broken before we start talking about bannings; just like in the merger of BL into UU, you might be surprised at what is and isn't broken.

2) There are some Pokemon that are simply too powerful, or too tanky that are quite OBVIOUS that they shouldn't be in this tier, whether a test is at all necessary to complete the Smogon formality or not (this test would be similar to testing Salamence in UU to see if it's too strong or not)... Examples are:

Offensive: Marowak, Tauros, Slaking, Rampardos, Entei, Pinsir, Ursaring, Lickilicky, Floatzel, Linoone, Jynx, Camerupt, Kangaskhan, Zangoose, etc.

Defensive/Support: Shuckle, Tangrowth, Regigigas (110 all defensive stats), Gastrodon, Regice, Walrein, Snover, Quagsire, Cradily, and Jumpluff (to an extend for Support).
Again, same as above. It's not obvious that they are "too powerful" for the tier, at least no more so than it was supposedly obvious that Pokemon like Rampardos and Pinsir were too much for UU, and look how that turned out. They may not be what you want or were expecting to be in NU, but that does not mean that they will be broken; let the tier develop and let us actually see what is and isn't broken before we start banning things left and right on pure theorymon, less we wind up with something like Old UU and BL again.

3) What's the point of doing the tier by usage? Why can't the tier be based on the strength and capability of Pokemon? Some Pokemon aren't used because they're outclassed by better Pokemon (such as Pinsir by Heracross and Kadabra by its evolution Alakazam), but by no means it's a weak-ass Pokemon that should be displaced into such a low tier to wreck havoc.
Because there's no real objective way to do it based on power. This is something other people can explain much better than me, I'm sure, so I'll let them take it.

1) There will be bans on more powerful things.

2) While that's true, there's a lot of theorymon in your "nominations". Just because there are strong pokemon does not mean they'll be too strong.

3) Because you can't accurately measure a pokemon's "strength" and it really depends on the pokemon around it; a pokemon is not individually strong (Scizor would not be #1 if every other OU pokemon was Steel, Kyogre would not be uber if every pokemon had Water Absorb and was part ground, etc).

Don't be stuck in the mindset that "NU is for sucky pokemon." Yes, there are strong pokemon. But remember that they were in UU too and didn't break it; what's to say they'll "break" NU?

Thats what I almost posted to an extent, but worded better.

The name "NU" is misleading as well, but the main point is that the Tier will go through a similar test as UU is going through, and have a "BL" tier between UU and NU, just as there is between UU and OU.

Without realizing, people are simply saying half the NU Pokemon are too good, but what you mean is that the "Tier" is too strong to be called NU, because most of these pokemon will balance each other out, especially when they are all "too good", that means that they are all "equal".

When thinking of this tier, just think of it as another tier, not an "NU" tier, and you will understand much easier.

Seeing so many player's perceptions of the "tier where Luvdisc is usable" being shattered into a million pieces makes me smile.

People, the days of the "luvdisc/unown" tier are over. This is what NU is supposed to be, and this is what it will be for now on. Get used to it.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Seeing so many player's perceptions of the "tier where Luvdisc is usable" being shattered into a million pieces makes me smile.

People, the days of the "luvdisc/unown" tier are over. This is what NU is supposed to be, and this is what it will be for now on. Get used to it.
You forgot Dustox, Beautifly, Delibird, and Ledian.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In Policy Review, I suggested that the 'Neverused metagame' be renamed as the 'Little Used metagame'. The NU tier would then contain all Pokemon that aren't even used in THIS metagame - these Pokemon would appropriately be called Never Used.

Hmm...I'm starting to wonder if this is the tier where Gabite can shine, or if we still need to wait a tier. Outrage/EQ is only resisted by Bronzor and Shedinja, both of which can be handled quite nicely. Perhaps best for a Sandstorm team as a late-game sweeper.

Also,
I'm having trouble conceiving of tier with more than 6 pokemon in which unown is viable. Even Sunkern is preferrable.

My thoughts on my favorite former UUs...

Camerupt
- Rock Polish is THE premier Camerupt set. I don't understand why it is more commonly used to set up SR and take hits, when it can cause so much chaos after a Rock Polish. Yes, it has nifty resistances, but those resistances are better used as an entry way to for itself to make a sweep. The tables are turned against bulky waters; Earth Power 2HKOes Slowbro iirc. Fire Blast is an obvious killer. Explosion when you are done. Life Orb is just the power boost Camerupt needs, it has a wonderful Attack stat to make Explosion seriously hurt.

Jumpluff - ridiculously fast Encore, great Shaymin switch, quick U-turn scout, who cares about SR weak when you have a super fast SubSeed second only to Sceptile (previous UU list), fast on Sleep Powder anything bugging your team, Memento is a neat set up utility. Did I mention that it's fast?!

Manectric
- powerful STAB TBs, SubPinch for easy sweep given its coverage, ties with Mismagius, incincerates Grasses with Flamethrower (Shaymin is outsped and burns to hell) without using HP Ice, free to use HP Grass for Water/Grounds, LOL at Ambiipom getting paralyzed from Static as it revenge kills Manectric, BUT its frail and has trouble switching in

Magneton - strongest Thunderbolt in previous UU, Scarf it for revenge kills, resistances!, Registeel killer to open up a sweep for Mismagius and friends

Rhydon
- the 2nd strongest Stone Edge next to Rampardos in the previous UU, STAB Earthquake to cover the Steels, Megahorn tears Slowbro a new one, eats Chansey for breakfast (101 HP Subs), great Defense, good enough Speed to Rock Polish sweep

The UU list is by usage, so if people don't use these guys, then no dice. Oh well, it's not like NU pokes are banned from UU. With actually competitively viable NU pokes, maybe now NU can get some morsel of respect.

Metric

is banned in America
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
In Policy Review, I suggested that the 'Neverused metagame' be renamed as the 'Little Used metagame'. The NU tier would then contain all Pokemon that aren't even used in THIS metagame - these Pokemon would appropriately be called Never Used.
Might just get to use those Luvdiscs and Unown after all...

Yuggles

hey that second guy isn't too bad
I signed up just for this, so I hope it turns out.

At first glance it looked like a bunch of crazy walls would be stalling out everything, but then I got down to the bottom of the list and saw Ursaring/Rampardos/etc. I think some offensive threads definitely will (and need to) be banned, but it should be a fun tier. :]

This is a very good idea considering the current NU is nearly triple the size of UU and OU. Not to mention the incredible power difference between the Articunos and the Unowns.

I was a bit shocked when I opened up the tier list. I know WHY these Pokemon are NU, but it still looks weird seeing names like Entei, Regice, Pinsir, Meganium, etc. in the lowest tier. :pirate:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)