Octillery (Choice Band) +

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Return
move 3: Seed Bomb
move 4: Fire Blast / Gunk Shot / Rock Blast
item: Choice Band
ability: Sniper
nature: Lonely / Hasty
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Octillery has one good reason to use Choice Band over his UU Water friends, and the reason is simply for its slightly larger movepool. The Choice Band set gained Seed Bomb to eliminate bulky Water-types such as Quagsire and Gastrodon from the picture. Return and Waterfall together have the best coverage in UU; nothing resists both barring Shedinja. Fire Blast still works off his decent 246 Special Attack and will at least hurt not only Grass-types but also Shedinja who otherwise resists most of the attacks listed above. Gunk Shot is an option if you consider you want more power against certain Grass-types; however, the accuracy and the PP is something that could be detrimental if not used properly. Rock Blast hits Flying-types harder than Waterfall if it scores three hits or more and will still eliminate Shedinja in the process. If you opt for either Gunk Shot or Rock Blast instead of Fire Blast then use either an Adamant or Jolly nature.</p>

Short yet sweet, felt like Octillery could use a small boost.

Its slightly larger movepool. That's the only mistake. [Oh, ETA: and commas after 'Grass-types' and 'Shedinja'] :3 Just a suggestion though -- you may wish to put the ability as Sniper. The set has nothing to phaze so unless the person really really really hates Roar or SOMETHING, Sniper may be a better option.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Choice Band set gained Seed Bomb to eliminate bulky Water-types such as Quagsire and Gastrodon out of the picture
The bolded parts sound awkward when used together. Other than that it's fine.

I think this set could probably be expanded more, with a bit more detail perhaps? :p

<p>Octillery has oneg ood reason to use Choice Band over his UU Water friends, and the reason is simply for it's slightly larger movepool. The Choice Band set gained Seed Bomb to eliminate bulky Water-types such as Quagsire and Gastrodon with no hassle. Return provides a reliable move that gives great coverage with Waterfall, hitting all of UU for at least neutral damage. Gunk Shot is useful against the ever-common Grass-types whilst Rock Blast will help destroy Shedinja who otherwise walls this set.</p>

Just needed a bit of changing at certain points.

Nice work. ;D

flamethrower still seems like a decent option to slash into slot four or at least mention; it solves the accuracy problem with both currently mentioned moves, and with his base 105 special attack it'll ohko things like wormadam grass and steel and parasect easily without any sp. atk evs. its also another thing for dry skin toxicroak to think about before switching in, even though return ohkos it already.

"Whilst?" Sounds too... over-blown for me, "while" would fit better.
"Whilst" is fine ... some of us speak proper ya know. :P

flamethrower still seems like a decent option to slash into slot four or at least mention;
I could see it as an excuse to use something like Lonely or Hasty. Anyone agree with this?

I would certainly consider Flamethrower as an option ... as you probably remember from the Arbok discussion, I'm not a fan of Gunk Shot and Flamethrower allows you to cover both Grass types and Shedinja. Its also more reliable than Rock Blast.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've added Fire Blast in there. I feel that without the Special Attack EVs Octillery would still need the most powerful Fire-move that he possibly has and Fire Blast fit the bill. If anyone thinks Flamethrower is better for some reason feel free to explain why.

Well, really, i think that Fire Blast is definitely the better option. It gives you just enough power to turn a 2HKO to an OHKO, if you know what i mean. Also, octillery isnt that fragile really, so missing wont definitely cause the octopus to die instantly. Also, octillery COULD run a scarfed set-this would somewhat make up for his/her abyssmal speed, however, it would not provide much additional power, so his original average attack points would still be mediocre by UU standards. I definitely agree with you for teh Fire Blast>Flamethrower. And thanks for rating my team :P.

Fire Blast is the way to go, OHKOing Wormadam and Parasect isnt a priority, I've never seen them in UU ladder. Scarf doesnt make sense, its so slow that even with the scarf, many UU's will outspeed it.
Its a good set otherwise, just shows how awesome Octillery is too be able to use Flamethrower :D
Yay for Octillery!!!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Style recs feel free to ignore

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Return
move 3: Seed Bomb
move 4: Fire Blast / Gunk Shot / Rock Blast
item: Choice Band
ability: Sniper
nature: Lonely / Hasty
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Octillery has one good reason to use Choice Band over his UU Water friends, and the reason is simply for its slightly larger movepool. The Choice Band set gained Seed Bomb to eliminate bulky Water-types such as Quagsire and Gastrodon from (you eliminate from the pic, not eliminate out of) the picture. Return and Waterfall together have the best coverage in UU; nothing resists both barring Shedinja. Fire Blast still works off his decent (modest implies nature)246 Special Attack and will at least hurt not only Grass-types but also Shedinja who otherwise resists most of the attacks listed above. Gunk Shot is an option if you consider you want more power against certain Grass-types; however, the accuracy and the PP is something that could be detrimental if not used properly. Rock Blast hits Flying-types harder than Waterfall if it scores three hits or more and will still eliminate Shedinja in the process. If you opt for either Gunk Shot or Rock Blast instead of Fire Blast then use either an Adamant or Jolly nature.</p>

Short yet sweet, felt like Octillery could use a small boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)