1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Forsety, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forsety

Forsety

The Pokémon Video Game Showdown is a BATTLE of the best Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl players from Japan and the United States. The United States Qualifier Tournaments are now complete, and 32 of the country's best Pokémon Trainers have risen to the top. These competitors will join Japan's top 32 Trainers to face off in the Pokémon Video Game Showdown Finals in Orlando, Florida.

The competition takes place on August 16th, 2008, and the battles are bound to be legendary. For competition updates straight from Orlando, stay tuned to the official Pokémon Video Game Showdown and 2008 Pokémon TCG World Championships website.

Los Angeles Showdown:
    zerowing's warstory (includes many pictures from yamipoli and OmegaDonut)
    omni's warstory
    POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN's warstory
    LA Showdown Finals part 1
    LA Showdown Finals part 2

New York City Showdown:
    Bonta-kun's warstory (champion)
    kindnug's warstory
    Expert Evan's warstory
    XxBlueCookiesXx's warstory
    Hikari Meoru's warstory
    NYC Showdown Finals part 1
    NYC Showdown Finals part 2

Congratulations to everyone going to Orlando representing Smogon, lets make a big impression when we get there.

Pre-July 20 stuff:

http://showdown.pokemon.com

In case the site goes down:

I would put off trying to register for the next couple days (it's the 15th as of this posting). The site is really slow right now, and I don't want to risk being put into some sort of semi-registered limbo due to the site lagging on me. According to their stuff, it's not first-come, first-served, so that's not an issue.

Use of the Transform glitch is almost certainly banned (only possible in early Japanese DP, short version is that any Pokemon that can Transform by any means can learn any Sketchable move)

When they say your team must consist of 4 Pokemon, do they mean that like JAA was (bring 6, see their team, select 4) or you have to just put 4 Pokemon in your team? Consensus so far is that you have to put 4 Pokemon on your team, since it's apparently on DP instead of PBR.

Smeargle apparently cannot use Seed Flare or Judgment. Dark Void is legal.

All event moves are allowed.
  2. Bliksem

Bliksem

"Each Pokémon on a player’s team may use held items, though no 2 Pokémon on a team may hold the same item. Players may change held items between rounds. Allowed items include held items from Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon Pearl, and earlier video games, including Berries 1-60. The Soul Dew item may not be used."
  3. Railith

Railith

The site is probably being hit hard because I can't get to the registration link.
  4. Bliksem

Bliksem

Same.

Why do these tournaments always have to take place in the two furthest places of the United States. The midwest is always getting ****'d over by these things.
  5. Railith

Railith

Are the 128 people selected to be in a qualifier random?
  6. Smasher89

Smasher89

Ah, there´s no autolv 50 in this tournament?, I loled about the Dragoniteban before seeing that, nothing like this will like ever happen in sweden v_v
  7. Drab Emordnilap

Drab Emordnilap

How does that team with the level 1 smeargle go again?
  8. Bliksem

Bliksem

Yeah.

"If the number of players eligible for participation in a Qualifier Tournament exceeds 128 per division, players will be selected at random and invitations will be distributed to selected players."

Level 1 Smergle won't really work as the format is 2v2. Even with Focus Sash, Double Earthquake or Double Surf or something similiar would stop that.
  9. phalanx

phalanx

smeargle used dark void tyvm :D
  10. Tangerine

Tangerine Where the Lights Are
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Smeargle has Spore.

Also, if you have an Arceus, you better reset, cause...

The use of external devices to alter a player’s Pokémon game is expressly forbidden. Random checks will be performed throughout the tournament to determine whether or not an external device has been used to modify a player’s game or Pokémon. Players found to have games that have been tampered with will be disqualified from the event, regardless of whether the player tampered with his or her game, or received a Pokémon or item that was tampered with by someone other than the player. It is the player’s responsibility to have legal Pokémon. Event officials have the final determination regarding the legality of a Pokémon.

Hahahaha.

I wonder if they'll have pAC checks at the tournament, or hex code checking. I wouldn't be surprised if we know more about what is "legit" and what the game can generate than those clowns.

I need to learn 2 vs 2 and reset my Pearl Cart in the meanwhile.
  11. phalanx

phalanx

yes but it is 2v2 so dark void is far more effective as you sleep both the opponant pokemon, and if it is indeed 2v2 your second pokemon could have dream eater, nightmare or something and win easily
  12. Kedavra

Kedavra

lol those rules really suck >_>
  13. Miao

Miao

No sleep clause, 1hko moves are not banned. Smeargle is also limited to moves from pokemon 1-491, which means Dark Void smeargle will be legal.

Smeargle with Dark Void, Lock On, Sheer Cold and something else I suppose... or DT for that extra amusement.
  14. phalanx

phalanx

lol there will be lots of disqualifications if they check for hacked pokemon, what happens if you got one off the GTS you didn't know was hacked.

2v2 does tham mean only 2 pokes each or what?
    if so
    smeargle
    dark void
    lock on
    sheer cold
    horn drill (if more then spider web)
  15. carlos1982

carlos1982

Any idea whats in the prize pack??

Lol 128 people in each age group. Gonna be alot of disapointed entrants.
  16. gorm

gorm
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

predicting obi randomly enters and wins with a mono ghost stall team

this is kind of pathetic, i really thought nintendo knew a bit more about competitive play
  17. Odinwolf

Odinwolf

This is pretty awful, but the prizes look pretty sweet. Nintendo is the master of arbitrary tournaments. I might have to make my way up there for this and abuse the terrible rules to make it deep into the tournament. Sadly, eventually I'll probably run into someone with a similar strategy and the winner will be determined by speed or a coin-flip for a speed tie-breaker.

EDIT: I'm not seeing a species clause... hmmm...
  18. Chozo

Chozo

Double battles, 4 Pokemon a side.

And I think Sketch is limited to moves from Pokemon that aren't banned, meaning that Dark Void cheese is potentially off limits. The site's taken a dump ATM so I can't check.

Plus, I'm not seeing how the rules are truly so awful. Yeah, Dragonite and Ttar being banned because they don't evolve until level 55 is kinda eh, but they've actually done the smart thing this time and banned all the 670+ stat legendaries and Soul Dew. "Oh noes, teh OHKOs/Double Team are not banned!" you say? You actually dick around with those in a double battle?
  19. Murkrow

Murkrow

Darkrai's being released at the end of this month. :P I wonder why they banned Regigigas, though. Perhaps he was truly meant to be uber!? Isn't Regigigas useable in the Battle Tower?

As for the tournament, LA & NY??? So much for that Journey Across America they had going.

And if only 128 people will pass the online challenge, what's stopping a bunch of people from taking the test, qualifying, and not going? I'm not saying I'd do that, but I can imagine that happening a lot, especially given the ease of their past tests.
  20. Gigafrost

Gigafrost

21. RBG

RBG It feels like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Facebook Manager

Reason Regigias was banned:

Skill Swamp or Gastro Acid
  22. Chozo

Chozo

I'm pretty sure that's less due to either of those (see: Slaking not banned) and more because you catch him at level 70.
  23. Gigafrost

Gigafrost

In case anybody was wondering whether or not Shaymin is banned, it is, just not explicitly:

I know I was wondering about this because the New York qualifier happens on July 19th, the first day of the Shaymin event in Japan.

Along similar lines, Smeargle is also not allowed to use Seed Flare, as per the attack restrictions:

24. Alice

Alice The worst taste in music

smeargle w/dark void and OHKO moves paired with NO GUARD machamp...

Yes, OHKO moves do break 2v2.
  25. Shiven

Shiven

Smeargle with Dark Void and a second pokemon with Fake Out really limits the chances of him dying.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)