1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Forsety, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I can't get the page to load, but I think Smeargle can still use Dark Void, Seed Flare, and Judgment. Mewtwo, Pokemon 151, learns Metronome. Metronome can select any of those moves.

Unless you plan on targeting your Machamp with those OHKO moves, that won't work.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/no_guard
  2. Alice

Alice The worst taste in music

Didn't know that, my mistake.

Then I guess they ain't that useful on 2v2
  3. david stone

is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

In case the site goes down:

4. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

AAAAARGHHHH I live like an hour from NYC normally but this summer I'll be like 7 hours from LA :/
  5. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

"The 2008 POKÉMON® Video Game Showdown (“Tournament”) is open only to legal residents of the fifty United States..."

Apparently Canadians are ineligible for the Tourney again.
  6. david stone

OK, I have one question:

"Qualifying to Participate:

Players must have an active My Pokémon account."

What is a "My Pokémon account", and how does one get one?
  7. yamipoli

yamipoli the only person more obsessive than jumpman
    is an Artist Alumnus

8. Gigafrost

Gigafrost

He's not allowed to Sketch Seed Flare and Judgment.

9. david stone

One of the above moves learned by Pokemon is Metronome. With Metronome you can Sketch any move (but Chatter or Struggle).
  10. celestial_okami

celestial_okami

Yes, but Mewtwo or other Metronome users do not learn said moves, and the rules say you can only have sketched a move that the pokemon has learned through the listed methods. They would probably not allow Seed Flare or judgment by that, but Dark Void is allowed by Darkai being #491.
  11. david stone

12. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler

I really REALLY don't like the fact that they're not taking advantage of the auto leveling option.

It means you essentially have to retrain your team or finish leveling up to 50. Boo. It also means that you've got some pokemon artificially removed from the pool.

Boo. Just BOO.
  13. phalanx

phalanx

isnt regigigas banned because it is caught over 50?
    and darkrai is obtainable in japan therefore dark void is obtainable via sketch

shame this is not in europe i would fancy owning this...
    i wonder if there are any event pokes there
  14. Gigafrost

Gigafrost

Darkrai's Dark Void shouldn't be an issue since the US Darkrai event happens at the end of this month.
  15. Bliksem

Bliksem

You can't abuse OHKO moves in a Double Battle without using Gravity. I would imagine a OHKO team would be set up something like this.

Lapras @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry/Lum Berry
    EVs: Maximized Defense
    Shell Armor
    ~Sheer Cold
    ~Protect
    ~Fissure/Horn Drill/Perish Song/Rest/Ice Beam/Brine
    ~Fissure/Horn Drill/Perish Song/Rest/Ice Beam/Brine

Electrode @ Life Orb/Choice Band
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
    Soundproof
    ~Thunderbolt/Thunder
    ~Explosion
    ~Light Screen
    ~Reflect

Clefable @ Toxic Orb
    EVs: Maximized Defense
    Magic Guard
    ~Follow Me
    ~Softboiled
    ~Gravity
    ~Cosmic Power

Dewgong
    Evs: Maximized Defense
    Hydration
    ~Sheer Cold
    ~Rest
    ~Rain Dance
    ~Horn Drill
  16. Kijin

Kijin

The lv. 1 Smeargle was Follow Me, Endeavor, Fake out, ???? from the finals video.
  17. Jibaku

Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Thankfully, I have my brother's game for tourney kind of stuff. My Arceus are safe!
  18. Sixonesix

Sixonesix
    is a Past SPL Winner

Wait, if I read that right, if I get 1st-8th place, they'll pay to fly me to wherever they have the finals...I am so there...

In fact, I'm going to start working on my team right now.
  19. Psy37

Psy37

Yes they are. No auto-leveling! 'Nuff said.
  20. IggyBot

IggyBot !battle
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Does Lock On affect both of your opponents pokemon, or just one at a time? If so, using a Choice Scarf Smeargle first turn with Dark Void, followed by something like Lock On Articuno could work wonders.

I believe that a pokemon can become confused even when sleeping, so Machamp could provide some insurance in case your opponent wakes up early from sleep as well.

It's really to bad, I'm going to be in Florida on the 19th on a trip with my club soccer team competeing in Disney's Wide World of Sports tournament, meaning I can't participate. Any other day and I would be able to drive to NYC =(
  21. Little Green Yoda

Little Green Yoda

Sounds intriguing but I'm not sure I want to drive 6 hours for a Pokemon tourney. Maybe I can convince my family to take a vacation to LA lol.
  22. garo

garo

wtf!!! 50 lv maximum, it really sucks, i mean many players already had trained their pokes above 50, what if you have a poke with very good IV`s at level 100, your only alternative is start breeding again, hoping that you get a good IVs offspring and train again, not a charming option.
    what about 15 minutes for a match, and if time expires the winner will be determinated by the number of remaining pokes, again wtf!!!, a trainer having 5 pokes versus one with 3 pokes no way means an advantage in most cases, maybe you sacrifice 3 pokes because you want to weak down your opponent and finish with your surprise poke or you lost three pokes but you took down the opposite poke that wall your sweeper and you are ready for sweep, but oopps!! 15 minutes expires and you lost. Also if after sudden death you and your opponent have equal number of pokes both lose!!!, what kind of stupid rule is it???, at least flip a coin is better.

"If an attack knocks out his or her final Pokémon, as well as his or her opponent’s final Pokémon, the match is a tie and both players are eliminated from the event."

im tired of saying wtf!!! at this point, why will you lose if there only remains one poke per player and your opponent uses explosion???, where is self OKHO clause???, so if you and your opponent are with one poke remaining, you are in obvious advantage and you will win, but the opponent realize it and uses explosion then he lose anyway but dont let you win because both of you are disqualified!!!, definitively i agree: the most retarded ruleset ever!!!
  23. Bliksem

Bliksem

I understand the point of the rules. It may be difficult on the players, but they want the matches to go by quickly. Unlike tournaments played online where it may take days or weeks and everyone has all the time in the world, they have just one or two hours to get everything done. If they can eliminate two players a round instead of just one, good, they get done a lot faster and can move on.
  24. Odinwolf

Odinwolf

I wonder what they will do if someone uses explosion on the final pokemon in the finals? That would really jam them up, wouldn't it? I understand the point of the rule, like Bliksem said, but anyone who even TRIES to think about this rationally should know its not a good way to run a tournament.

Nintendo doesn't care. Having the event is the only thing that's important to them. It doesn't matter if its random, unfair or ridiculous. As long as there is some event for them to promote the pokemon series with, it doesn't matter what it is. *shrug*
  25. Syberia

Syberia [custom user title]
    is a Pre-Contributor

I'm guessing nearly every pokemon will have to carry Protect to guard themselves against such a situation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)