Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooray, I've always wanted to face a lv. 1 Smeargle from a Japanese champion! Oh joy!

<_<

Well, what is cool is that link you posted, Duck, at the end of your post will have streaming video and updates on the 16th of August, which is when the competition will be happening(that means people here can watch what's happening :O). It seems that we'll be having serious competition. All the better IMO, because that will make for some good battles.

Yeah bluecookies, I've noticed that as well. If you had to guess a few pokemon on their team, those 4 you mentioned would have a good chance of being on the team. I'm assuming the rules will be the same. If they were to have changed, I'd hope they would tell us in advance. >_>

At any rate, it looks like we have our work cut out for us when we compete.

Oh SHIT I am really excited if that worldwide tourney is for real. I only hope they have qualifiers in more than TWO CITIES alskdjfa;ldjfoaijfdlkafj. In any case, the competition sounds really good and I am pretty excited to watch the stream. GL to all who made it to the finals!

Yes, hoepfully it's not random and it's single battles for a change. They could still keep the stadium mode thing and 3 vs 3, but have it singles instead of doubles.

But knowing Nintendo it will stay doubles. :(

Hey guys, I have some more information regarding Orlando.

There were no regional qualifiers in Japan this year. The winner and runner up from each of the 6 qualifiers last year are going to be representing Japan at the nationals along with 4 online qualifiers. All of the regional finals except for Osaka were filmed last year, so a large portion of the your opponents' teams have been revealed.

No, these are not set in stone, but it gives you a decent amount of insight on the finalists.

Sapporo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PzUGxiDLJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqhISwoBt4g&NR=1

1st

Metagross @ Shucca Berry
-Protect
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
Zapdos
-Rain Dance
Ludicolo @ Focus Sash
-Ice Beam
-Protect
-Hydro Pump
-Surf
Kingdra @ Life Orb
-Substitute
-Hydro Pump
-Dragon Pulse

I pieced this together after viewing the videos posted above and the nationals. In the finals, Zapdos was swapped for a Gyarados that knew Taunt and Ludicolo had Fake Out. Zapdos was holding neither Lum Berry nor Cherri Berry.

2nd

Metagross
-
Gyarados
-Thunderwave
-Protect
-Waterfall
Ludicolo
-Protect
-Energy Ball
-Fake Out
-Hydro Pump
Snorlax @ Leftovers
-Return

Fukuoka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUU7ghZgLEc&feature=related

1st

Staraptor
-Brave Bird
Weavile @ Focus Sash
-Fake Out
Ludicolo
-Fake Out
-Grass Knot
Salamence
-Fire Blast
-Protect
-Draco Meteor

2nd

Infernape @ Focus Sash
-Close Combat
-Protect
Glaceon
-Blizzard
Rotom
-Skill Swap
Swampert
-

Yokohama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP41urr6iUE&feature=related

1st

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
-Eruption
Weavile
-Fake Out
-Night Slash

2nd

Metagross
-Protect
Abamasnow @ Occa Berry
-Protect
Slowbro @ Leftovers
-
Glaceon
-

Makuhari

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwddzXePREA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSccKfgq22E&feature=related

1st [Yasuhito Kajiwara]

Latias
-Psychic
Cresselia @ Chesto Berry
-Calm Mind
-Shadow Ball
-Rest
-Psychic
Metagross
-Meteor Mash
-Protect
Latios
-Psychic

2nd

Cresselia @ Leftovers
-Charge Beam
-Ice Beam
-Protect
-Psychic
Arcanine
-Dragon Pulse
-Protect
-Heat Wave
Shedinja @ Focus Sash
-Sunny Day
-X-Scissor
Infernape @ Life Orb
-Fake Out
-Protect
-Flare Blitz

Nagoya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XwIgahPIXE&feature=related

1st [Hideaki Shimizu]

Yanmega @ Focus Sash
-Bug Buzz
Snorlax
-Rock Slide
Latios @ Life Orb
-Thunderbolt
-Protect
-Draco Meteor
Metagross
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake

2nd

Metagross
-Protect
-Explosion
Bronzong
-Reflect
-Protect
Milotic
-Ice Beam
-Protect
Blissey @ Leftovers
-Softboiled
-Ice Beam

Osaka

This conference was not filmed, but I know the winner [Izuru Yoshimura] emerged victorious at the nationals as well.

I hope this information was useful. If you have any other information on any of the other finalists, please let us know.

Thank you for your observations, Duckster. What were the names of the Sapporo, Fukuoka, and Yokohama winners? Do you also have the names of the second place winners? Where did you learn of these names?

Again, thanks for the intelligence.

I am trying to scour the Internet for the names of the winners/2nd placers; hopefully I will have some success. Duck where did you get those names? Any particular place?

Champions

Listening to the conclusions of each clip, I can answer my own question:

Masataka Ishii won Sapporo (Zapdos/Metagross/Ludicolo/Kingdra). I believe he is the green cap wearing guy in the Osaka video.

Yasuhito Kajiwara won Makuhari (Cresselia/Latias/Latios/Metagross). Raising his hands at the end, he seems to have longish hair in the front, perhaps in a chili bowl cut.

Natsumi Kunisada won Fukuoka (Staraptor/Weavile/Ludicolo/Salamence).

Hideaki Shimizu won Nagoya (Yanmega/Snorlax/Latios/Metagross). He must be the short-haired guy in glasses screaming at the end.

Izuru Yoshimura won Osaka (Smeargle/Bronzong/Metagross/Snorlax). He is the gentleman in the black cap at the tournament's conclusion.

The Typhlosion team swept so fast in Yokohama the video did not capture its user's name.

Please share your intelligence as you learn more.

Best,
~Halordain

Nice find Halordain.

Something just occurred to me that I probably should have posted before LA. I don't know if you guys are all aware, but Pokemon often require different EV spreads for level 50 than they do level 100. For example, a Timid Azelf that has just enough Speed to outpace Gengar at Level 100 (352), will actually speed tie with a level 50 252Spd/31IV Timid Gengar.

Anyone who uses EV spreads of this nature should probably reevaluate their Pokemon if they haven't done so already.

The numbers I usually take into consideration are:
neutral nature base 100 (31 IV/252 EV) = 152 - for timid / jolly base 100s
max speed smeargle = 139 - for anything faster than smeargle
+1 Smeragle = 209 - for Agili/swift swimmers.

If Ludicolo or Kingdra have at least 105 Speed (which is very low!), they outpace Scarf Smeargle in the rain every time. Remember, those numbers are the stats those Pokemon have, not the ones you want to beat them.

Nice to know duck. I'll have to re-evaluate my spreads to see if they need changing.

Just thought I should give a warning to those going to Florida, including myself; there is approximately an hour ride from the Orlando airport to the hotel. That equals out to a $50-$60 cab ride, and that is one way. I've been to Orlando a few times already and I've seen our hotel. But the cab ride is what I'm letting you know about, so bring plenty of cash when you go on the plane, or find an ATM. But in an airport that might be a bit hard to find.

Maybe, if some of us are arriving at the airport around the same time, they could split a cab to lessen the cost of the $$$ for it.

Honestly, call a local Limo service and get a price estimate. Sometimes it is a lot cheaper, sometimes it isn't... (I've saved $25 doing this before...)

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Well the official rules say this:

SIXTY-FOUR (64) SHOWDOWN PARTICIPANT PRIZES: A trip for two to Orlando, Florida to compete in the POKÉMON® Video Game Showdown. Trip includes round-trip coach air transportation for two (2) from the major commercial airport nearest winner’s residence in the U.S. to Orlando, FL on a date specified by Sponsor to coincide with the Video Game Showdown. Winners residing within 200 miles of Orlando will receive ground transportation in lieu of air transportation, without compensation. Includes 4-day/3-night double occupancy hotel accommodations (standard rooms) and transportation to and from an Orlando area destination airport (unless ground transportation has been substituted as set forth above), a POKÉMON® prize pack. ARV: $2,160.00.
So I'm assuming they are paying for the transport to and from the hotel.

Well, if they are prodiving transportation, they haven't said a word about it.

Plus, in the email I received from the travel agent person(not directly from Pokemon USA, though), they said: "All ground transportation arrangements and fees upon arrival are at your own expense."

So, unless Pokemon USA does something soon here and notifies us, I'd assume we are paying our way to the hotel ourselves.

makiri

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
See that's the thing, there's conflicting reports about if they are providing it or not. I guess we have to call, but I lost all the paperwork with the phone numbers so I can't exactly do it.

But as a precaution I'm looking into transportation and it seems Mears might be the best. Its $64 for round trip from the airport to the hotel for 2 people, but it seems they charge you in advance, but I want to wait until I get confirmation on the transport situation.

Also what time is everyone arriving in Orlando? My plane lands at 3:12 pm.

Yeah, they did that on the forms too. ONe form said they wanted all forms in by the 18th of July, the other said the 25th.

I could call and ask. Maybe they will reimburse us when we get there for any travel expenses, but I doubt it.

I land at 4:39 pm, which is one of the latest when comparing it to the other players. =(

edit = I emailed Pokemon USA and asked whether they were paying for transportation from the hotel to the airport and back. Currently awaiting a response.

I have already been in touch with both Pokemon USA and the Hilton. Below are their responses:

The marketing director for Pokemon USA wrote:

Are we responsible for transportation to and from the hotel and airport? Yes, you are responsible for your own transportation. The Hilton has advised us to give our guests that inquire information about the Mears shuttle transportation, as this is a little cheaper then a taxi. Please see www.mearstransportation.com for more information.

The hilton replied:

The Walt Disney World Resort Hotel does not provide airport transportation. The hotel has provided the following information regarding available transportation.

Orlando International Airport
Distance: 15 mile(s) East
Drive Time: 25.0 Minutes
Bus 25 Minutes 19.00 USD One Way
Limo 25 Minutes 130.00 USD One Way
Taxi 25 Minutes 50.00 USD One Way

We will have a car but it seems we are one of the earlier arrivals at 10:00 a.m. EST. Also - Self parking is $8 USD and valet parking is $15 USD per day, for those of you looking to go that route.

Pokemon USA also sent me an itinerary that you may find useful when making your plans:

The schedule for the Showdown players is as follows:

Friday
10am-1pm Competitor Registration
2pm-4pm Welcome Party
4pm VGS Ice Breaker

Saturday
8am Late Competitor Reg.
9:30am Opening Ceremony
10:00am Video Game Showdown

Sunday
9am & 11:30am TCG Prerelease Tournaments
5:30pm Closing Ceremony

Hope that helps!

Nice pokemom, thanks for that info! Apparently directors and programmers from GameFreak itself, including Junichi Masuda, will be present on Sunday available for autographs/pitures/etc. And apparently there is going to be a special Lucario giveaway. It's found here http://www.go-pokemon.com/worlds/ , so go check it out for yourself. Under "Schdeule", it lists what pokemom said, plus a few extra goodies. =)

I'm 99% positive that it's more than 15 miles though from the airport to the hotel, I've ridden that highway twice or more and it seems much longer than that. I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive it's more than a 15-20 minute drive.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I will probably arrive at the Hotel sometime between 11 and 12, so I'll be there pretty early.

I have been wondering this for a little while, but what is a "Custom Nintendo DS"?

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Probably a retarted question, but does the Sponsors pay for the trip to Orlando, or does one have to buy the Ticket to orlando, I'm curious.

@tridarksouls = Probably something along those lines. I doubt they will let you pick and choose everything about the DS that you want, as the "custom DS" title alludes to.

But still, a free DS. :D

@above = Nintendo pays for the flight and hotel. ;)

makiri

Well since according to Pokemom they aren't providing transport, I went ahead and bought a shuttle from Mears, $32 round trip for one person or $19 one way for one person.

I know certain internet sites that make custom ds's with any image you want ingraved on its shell although it cost quite a bit of money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)