1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Data Official Smogon University Usage Statistics Discussion Thread, mk.3

Discussion in 'Smogon Metagames' started by Antar, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

I think 5-10 days is probably a reasonable expectation for the time being.
  2. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

3. Peef Rimgar

Peef Rimgar Other guys'll just feed ya lies! I'll take ya to MICKEY DS!
    is a Pre-Contributor

Hey so I'm gonna put this here but I can put it in PR if needed, Antar how achieveable would it be to do the sampling of stats from (for example) the 25th of the previous month to the 25th of the next so that stats could come out on the first? Perhaps this is something only I care about but I feel like having the shifts being cleaner from month to month would be good for future organization. As it sits it feels like the boundary is really soft so it makes it hard to refer to a few months back easily.
    Tuthur1 likes this.
  4. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Stats for the month are now up, however, these stats only cover up to the 23rd, since a glitch prevented PS from actually saving battle logs from the 23rd of June to the 3rd of July. Thus, battle-counts are going to be low, and pre-tier-shift usages are going to be more dominant than they usually are.
    david0895 and Disjunction like this.
  5. Reviloja753

Reviloja753

Just to clarify, which OU ladder mark is used for rankings? Also, just to double check, 3.41 is the benchmark to be in OU, correct?
  6. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Reviloja753, 1695 stats are used for the OU-UU cutoff, but in the first month after a tier update, nothing would be allowed to fall that got more than 1.72% usage or allowed to drop that got less than 6.7% usage. In any case, we're not doing tier shifts this month.
    Melons-N-Soda likes this.
  7. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

8. MAMP

MAMP

Antar are the battle counts accurate for march-april-may? did the kerfuffle with the stats for those months have any effect on that? i'm just wondering because the battle counts for those months are lower than i'd expect for some metagames
  9. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

MAMP, for some metas, you might have to combine across several variants (alpha-beta-suspect...), and there was a spot where a bunch of logs for May never got saved. But otherwise I haven't heard of any issues affecting counts.
    G-Luke likes this.
  10. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

11. galbia

galbia
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnus
    PU Leader

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  12. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

13. Nailec

Nailec

I don't know if this has been discussed before but shouldn't the rise/drop cutoff be lower for mega-evolutions just because it's not possible to play several of them in the same team ?
    The link in in the FAQ that fixed it is from 2008 when the 1 mega per team limitation didn't exist and I couldn't find any other thread about it.
  14. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Nailec, in short, no. Tiers are primarily threat lists. If you don't see a mon or a forme 1 battle in 20 [being used by a competitive player], then it's not a threat worth preparing for. Doesn't matter why.
  15. Summonerrisa4o1

Summonerrisa4o1

Out of curiosity, would there be a way to see how much less usage pokemon A would have with pokemon B? For example, in high-ladder AG, Tapu Lele sees increased usage with pokemon such as Deoxys-A. However, it isn't used as much with extremespeed users such as mega rayquaza or arceus, because those pokemon are significantly worse without their priority moves.
  16. Nailec

Nailec

The chaos file has a stat called 'checks and counters' which shows how often pokemon A is played with pokemon B which should help you see this.
    For example, here you can see that tapu lele's most common teammate is deoxys-attack by far.
    However if what you're looking for is seeing how much extreme speed usage on a mega rayquaza drops when paired with tapu lele, I don't think there's a way you can see it from the published data.
    Summonerrisa4o1 likes this.
  17. Yahooboo

Yahooboo

according to that website maractus only has 1 counter in OU
    pls ban
    Summonerrisa4o1 likes this.
  18. Summonerrisa4o1

Summonerrisa4o1

omg
    Yveltal doesn't see any usage in OU, UU, RU, or NU.
    That means that it should be in PU. Yveltal for PU was right.

By the way, what is the counter?
    It will be absolutely necessary to use it in OU as soon as people start using Maractus teams.

Nailec thanks! I'm not looking for a rise or drop of usage for extremespeed mrayquaza, I was just giving it as an example of a pokemon that might see decreased usage.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Yveltal for PU likes this.
  19. ThiccTornadus

ThiccTornadus

it's Heatran. by the way what he meant by that is that the site is very innacurate.
  20. lost heros

lost heros Meme Master

No, the site is just usage based. Something has to be used for it to beaten.
  21. ThiccTornadus

ThiccTornadus

Yes and since its usage based its really fucking innacurate thanks for providing nothing.
  22. Swaggy-G

Swaggy-G

Just because the data is meaningless doesn't mean it's innacurate.
  23. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Zenobu and Quantum Tesseract like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)