Official Smogon YouTube Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welcome to the Official Smogon YouTube Thread

This is a project started off from a suggestion for battlers to view old Tournament battles that may have been missed and showcased fun, interesting battles. Support for the idea was fairly strong and so here we are now. For the time being, we are going to upload mostly well-known, showcase battles.

Here is the link to the actual YouTube Account

http://www.youtube.com/user/SmogonU

Anyway, here are the goals for the project:

*Competitive Tournament Matches: Mostly Semi-Finals and Final games would be fun to watch. However, I'm not opposed to uploading other tourney round games. These games will probably consist of well-known players in well known tournaments (Smogon Tour, Official Smogon Tournament, World Cup etc.). Gimmick tournaments will be by a case-by-case basis in my opinion. We'll cross that bridge when/if we ever get there.

*Commentaries / Commentators: Videos with audio from well known battlers in the community that warstory games and talk about whats happening, what both opponents are thinking. (It would be nice to get the players themselves to annonate or comment on the games themselves, but that is going to be near to impossible I realize) General strategies. etc. etc.

*Tutorials / Informational Videos: Not sure if this idea will ever get off the ground but I'd love to see some videos that teach players. It would be similar to how articles are written on the site teaching players certain ways to play or aspects of the metagame. How to build a Rain Dance Team, Sacrificing Pokemon at key moments in games, predicting. etc. etc. I just wanted to add that the time frame on this thing is gonna be further down the line if this thing is actually still going.

How to Format the YouTube Videos:
Before the Video is uploaded, there are a few fields that need to be filled in or edited after the video is officially up. Here is a step by step walk through of how the formatting should look.

Title
The title should be of the Tournament that was played (e.g. World Cup), the Round of that tournament (e.g. Finals), followed by a dash - and the players that played (e.g. Earthworm Vs Husk)

Description

The description should have the same information that was in the Title (name of the tournament and <player1> vs. <player2>) along with: a link to the Smogon Tournament thread (e.g. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345, credits to the music used (e.g. Breaking Benjamin), credits to the uploader (optional) and credits to the editor (optional)

Tags
Tags should always have Smogon in them. Besides that, it is up to the uploader. Possible Tags can include: Shoddy Battle, Tournament, Pokemon etc.

Recorders w/ Permission to the Smogon Account:
-loedoc
-Locopoke
-Sheep
-PurpleWeezing
-Vacuum
-Minato.

This thread is here for discussion between recorders, upkeep of the account, distribution of the password etc. etc.

Please keep the thread as clean as possible and on point. If you have any else to suggest, feel free to post.

Thanks

I think we should list the password holders so people can know who to send their videos to. And we also should add the email address to the OP.

Edit: Thanks matty.

Edit 2: Um, are we supposed to be subscribing to people on SmogonU? Because for some reason someone subscribed to bearsfan.

Yeah sure, that would probably be a good battle to put on. Email the file to Smogon@gmail.com. If that doesn't work, PM one of the password holders a download link.

Edit to Purple Weezing: If you want to, then sure. I'm not asking you to, that would be a big time commitment. But if you want to, we can wait for you.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Just a few things I think we need to sort out. I talked about them with matty on IRC but I felt I should post them here so everybody is on the same page.

What belongs in the title/credits? I really wasn't sure what to put here so i just put the players names and the tournament name (as well as which round). And in the video description, what belongs there? Link to the tournament page? Names of the battlers? Does the person who recorded the match get any special thanks or anything? Just a few things that we need to work out before we upload anything else.

Just a few things I think we need to sort out. I talked about them with matty on IRC but I felt I should post them here so everybody is on the same page.

What belongs in the title/credits? I really wasn't sure what to put here so i just put the players names and the tournament name (as well as which round). And in the video description, what belongs there? Link to the tournament page? Names of the battlers? Does the person who recorded the match get any special thanks or anything? Just a few things that we need to work out before we upload anything else.
I think we should definitely post the round of the tournament. If it takes too long to get it up and the next round started, people will probably get confused. I don't see any real need for names as it's already on the battle screen, but it wouldn't hurt. I think we should put the person's name who recorded it. It's not very easy to be ready at any moment to record a match, so I think they should get special thanks for that.

I can record battles too. I'm often online on smogon server and watch the final battles of the tournaments.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
For the descriptions of the videos I'm thinking the standard layout should be:

Tournament Name + Round
Link to the tournament thread
<player> vs. <player>
the songs that were used
special thanks to the person who recorded it and editted it

does that sound good?

matty

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ya I agree with that. OP editted to reflect that.

Discussion about the YouTube channel should take place in #stark for reference guys. We aren't allowed to make an splinter channel for the project. Sorry

=D

For the descriptions of the videos I'm thinking the standard layout should be:

Tournament Name + Round
Link to the tournament thread
<player> vs. <player>
the songs that were used
special thanks to the person who recorded it and editted it

does that sound good?
this is great =D
On a side note, maybe there could be a way for people to know to contact a filmer before their match, so that way atleast one of us can get the footage of the match.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
this is great =D
On a side note, maybe there could be a way for people to know to contact a filmer before their match, so that way atleast one of us can get the footage of the match.

I've already contacted all of the people who have upcoming matches in tournaments, so I'm ready to record. But just incase I'm not on, somebody look out for LoveDestiny vs. panamaxis (ultimate cup finals) and Twist of Fate vs. flashstorm1 (new grounds uu finals).

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I'll send you husk vs. ew and flashstorm1 vs. gouki. once im done editting panamaxis vs. VIL and LoveDestiny vs. IPL I'll send those too.

edit: for some reason when i try to attach the video to an email and send it, it freezes at 50%. im gonna upload them on rapidshare and PM you the links

I'll send you husk vs. ew and flashstorm1 vs. gouki. once im done editting panamaxis vs. VIL and LoveDestiny vs. IPL I'll send those too.

edit: for some reason when i try to attach the video to an email and send it, it freezes at 50%. im gonna upload them on rapidshare and PM you the links
Perfect.

Should we really be uploading videos of semi-finals, when the finals haven't even happened yet? If the player didn't give permission, I think it's highly unfair that the opponent gets an opportunity to easily scout. I am not saying they always will, but it makes it so much easier. I don't know Flashstorm's view (new UU tournament), but nothing has really been said about it so I thought I would post anyway.

matty

NO! Don't upload videos of Semi-Finals until AFTER the tournament has finished. Even if both players in the video agree, I don't care. I don't want "blood" on the hands of the YouTube channel for causing anti-teaming/anti-metagaming. Just wait 'till the major tournament finishes.

For other games outside of like Semi's and Finals, you will need the permission of both players in order to upload. If you don't have both, then you are not allowed to upload. Pretty simple concept

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I'm still editing the vids,when I'm done,I will upload them if Matty agrees with it.
Guys, these are the videos that we already had uploaded (ew vs husk and flashstorm vs gouki). I got permission from all 4 of them to upload it beforehand and flashstorm said it was alright to upload the semi's early. Minato. is just editting them to make them HQ (i think?) so I don't think it'll be a problem to re-upload them since we currently have them up already. As for the Ultimate Cup videos, I am going to wait until the finals are over and then I'll upload them all, but flashstorm said it was completely fine for me to upload his match, he actually wanted me to. So I don't see a problem, but yeah guys, always ask permission first.

matty

Ya sorry. I forgot that loco got permission from Flash and Gouki. But in general your gonna need acceptance from the players. I'm more worried about games in late Rounds since those are usually more important...

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Oh, also, I asked both panamaxis and VIL what music they wanted in their battle and neither of them told me anything. They both said it didn't matter to them, so somebody wanna help me decide on good music to put in it? Talk to me on irc or something i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)