Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems that way.

IMO too many poeple are using lvl 1 Smeargle, which dies to any double or global hitting move. :\ Why not just lvl 50 Dark Void and have things like Fake Out, Taunt, whatever. IMO lvl50 > lvl1 when it comes to Smeargle.
In fact it makes me want to try a smaergle for double battles:-Fake Out-Dark Void-???-????

How viable do you guys think a Sunny Day team would be? Usually they're overlooked for rain dance because swift-swimmers can also abuse the water buff (unlike cholorophyll users, who rarely have a fire move and never have fire stab), however in this broken metagame they could easily abuse their number 1 advantage: insta-sleep! With no sleep clause, methinks that some chlorophyll sleepers could really destroy this metagame, with support from some fire-type assaults...any thoughts?

BTW when are the Japanese national finals?

In fact it makes me want to try a smaergle for double battles:-Fake Out-Dark Void-???-????
Dark Void Smeargle is nothing new, there is a reason why status-healing berries are very common held items.

How viable do you guys think a Sunny Day team would be? Usually they're overlooked for rain dance because swift-swimmers can also abuse the water buff (unlike cholorophyll users, who rarely have a fire move and never have fire stab), however in this broken metagame they could easily abuse their number 1 advantage: insta-sleep! With no sleep clause, methinks that some chlorophyll sleepers could really destroy this metagame, with support from some fire-type assaults...any thoughts?
A Sunny Day team has the potential to be very effective, but you shouldn't be banking on sleep as one of your primary strategies, for the same reason stated above; while you spend a turn sleeping an opponent, most likely they'll just heal and trounce you in the meantime. Sleep moves are effective against unskilled opponents who most likely won't be prepared, but I'd be willing to say that this year's turn-out will be more skilled than last year's crop.

From what I've noticed from reading warstories from last year and watching double battles, the trend for Sunny Day teams has a Shiftry and Cherrim leading; Shiftry uses Fake Out and Cherrim uses Sunny Day, which activates Chlorophyll and Cherrim's Flower Gift. Moltres and Heatran can serve as good support, and the fourth available team slot is usually a generic sweeper (I've seen Garchomp, Medicham, and Lucario all work fine here). Feel free to experiment with several team layouts to see which works best for you, just be aware that priority moves are also highly popular in double battles.

Okay, so you'd say that the best way to use Moltres is in a Sunny Day team? I've thought about using Moltres in the tournament for my brother, who loves Ho-oh, which makes Moltres second best...but I hadn't thought it could really be pulled off...

I just "thought" (read: remembered and stole) of an idea involving Regigigas and Shuckle w/Gastro Acid, or something with Worry Seed. How viable would that be, or would is just wind up in massive double-teaming of Regi? Is Regi bulky enough to not care?

I'd prefer Regi over Slaking because Slaking's SpD is pretty horrible.

I could conceivably make the one in San Francisco, but I have no doubles experience and wouldn't want to make a 4 hour drive just to get my ass whipped.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
My team is finally ready and I'm looking for a fairly accurate way to simulate doubles battling to help prepare me for the VGCs.

I've tried Battle Tower in Pearl, and it has pretty much the right rules and everything, but my pokes are EV trained with high IVs and theirs obviously aren't. Usually they don't even get past my two starters...boring :P

I haven't tried the Battle Frontier in Platinum because I'm not that far in Platinum yet. Is it any better for training in doubles than in Pearl?

I don't really want to PM people over and over again to get the necessary experience. I don't want to be a bother.

I don't really want to fool with Shoddy either because it just seems like people make up pokes on there that they don't really have.

Does PBR have any good way of battling random people in doubles with pretty much the same rules as the VGC?

What I'm looking for is a way to sit down for a couple of hours and see how well my team holds up against random teams that are at least EV trained, because at the VGCs that's pretty much what I'll be up against.

Thank you all for your help!!!

My team is finally ready and I'm looking for a fairly accurate way to simulate doubles battling to help prepare me for the VGCs.

I've tried Battle Tower in Pearl, and it has pretty much the right rules and everything, but my pokes are EV trained with high IVs and theirs obviously aren't. Usually they don't even get past my two starters...boring :P

I haven't tried the Battle Frontier in Platinum because I'm not that far in Platinum yet. Is it any better for training in doubles than in Pearl?

I don't really want to PM people over and over again to get the necessary experience. I don't want to be a bother.

I don't really want to fool with Shoddy either because it just seems like people make up pokes on there that they don't really have.

Does PBR have any good way of battling random people in doubles with pretty much the same rules as the VGC?

What I'm looking for is a way to sit down for a couple of hours and see how well my team holds up against random teams that are at least EV trained, because at the VGCs that's pretty much what I'll be up against.

Im almost finished with my team(3/4 finished), when i am done i will battle you:)

PBR uses the see your opponents team then pick 4 out of 6 format but it is still one of the best ways to test a team, net battle also works

I remember Battle Tower pokemon have max IVs and EVs, but it doesn't matter. It and the Battle Frontier have hax and does not act like human opponents would. If you want, you can try going on NetBattle Supremacy, as you do not have to train your team in there. Alternatively you can play Pokemon Battle Revolution at 1-3 A.M. EST, as that is when the Japanese players are on. Many of them play by Double Cup rules, so they would be good practice (I've seen many ingenious strategies there). A final method is to battle people from this thread, as many of us should have at least a practice team ready.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Thanks y'all! Those are some great ideas! Do the battle tower pokes REALLY have max EVs and IVS?!?! They all seemed like chumps?!?! 0_o

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Wow... not much buzz about Nasville... 0_o

Anyway, I live 20 min from St. Louis, but I'm driving to Nashville anyway for the extra experience and chance to guarantee a spot. Hopefully my brother will come along, but he's undecided.

Nashville

I live about 3 hours from Nashville. Myself and a friend will probably drive down early that morning, and then drive back after the event (or after we get our Milotic if we don't make it in) .

see you guys there.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Guys this is not a request a battle thread. If you wish to ask for battles, there's a Battle Me sticky in the WiFi subforum.

Pokemon Video Game National Championship 2009-Phoenix Arizona

Even though Phoenix is one of the largest cities in the US, many events like this have skipped over us so I for one am super siked for this event.

Just wanted to make a thread to see who's actually going, feelings, and approach to the tournament and all that jazz.

Whose going:
Sniper
J-Man27
viperGTS

I forgot to write the movesets of Molf team,

Smeargle(Lv50) @ Focus Sash
- Explosion
- Fake Out
- Follow Me
- Dark Void

Mismagious @ Power Ankle
- Shadow Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Swagger
- Trick Room

Snorlax @ Lum Berry
- Return
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Self Destruct

Rhyperior @ Persim Berry
- Protect
- Hammer Arm
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

I'm not sure if this is the correct movesets, but the genuine one won't be far different from this one.

I have a couple questions:
1. Do EVs still count in lv. 50 battles?
2. Is it worth IV training for this?
3. How many pokemon can we use?
4. Where can I get good suggestions for double battle teams?
5. Would using an already lv. 50 pokemon be worth it since there are no IVs or EVs? Like the event dragonite or heatran.
6. Are there any clauses in effect?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)