Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
im not really scared of bronzong with trickroom. im mostly worried about the smeargle with endevour at lv.1. trying to kill that off first is my only problem. think about it you have a full health'd pokemon and it gets knocked off right after trickroom and you dont get to attack with it cause trickroom made a lv.1 pokemon knock your hp to 1 and then got gyro ball's to death.

I wonder if they will not notice a flash cart.if they do ill have my origanls too
How stupid do you take Pokemon USA for? >_> Yeah, they're definitely going to notice flash carts, lol. Try to keep your team as legitimate as possible so you don't get disqualified!

Anyway, for one of my teams I'm considering.. an anti Trick Room team? When it comes to coming up with a strategy for this year's VGS, I can't help but to think of how to counter last year's teams. I'd like to go with something effective, but original!!!

My main issue is to choose a suitable pair to start the battle; with the first two starters I want to find a way to stop the main threats: Trick Room and Rain Dance, to make way for a Dragon sweep!! Note that these thoughts are pretty jumbled and still in a preliminary stage, as I haven't had the time to do proper calculations and stuff.

Basic Team:
Lucario+Gengar/Spiritomb/Dusknoir
Latios+Latias

So, I'm thinking of leading with Inner Focus Lucario and Gengar/Spiritomb. Both pokemon would be impervious to flinch, Lucario would have Bullet Punch/Vacuum Wave/Extreme Speed (not all three in the same moveset silly :P) to take care of Weavile and Smeargle (bar Focus Sash), and Gengar/Spiritomb can use Trick Room to cancel the opponent's Trick Rooming scheme!

The thing is, Gengar is really frail, and probably won't live long enough to take down an opponent, outside of a well-placed Destiny Bond. He can use Hypnosis, Pain Split, or Explosion, but out of those three only Explosion is somewhat viable on him for this metagame.

In place of Gengar I've also considered Spiritomb, or maybe Dusknoir. A slower Ghost using Pain Split can really dent bulky Waters like Vaporeon, Politoad, Ludicolo, etc that Gengar can't really take care of. I like Spiritomb's lack of weaknesses, but Ghost and Dark moves, outside of Shadow Sneak and Weavile's Night Slash, aren't very prevalent, so Dusknoir might prove to be the better option with his defenses.

For Lucario I've debated whether to go physical, special, or mixed. I also didn't figure out how much to emphasize his speed, since the VGS metagame utilizes mainly the extremes (super slow Trick Roomers+bulky Water/Swift Swim, Chlorophyll abusers), and Lucario's is just average. Close Combat seems like a must have to do any serious damage, but it doesn't complement the priority move I would like Lucario to have; that'd be Vacuum Wave, because Bullet Punch has horrible type coverage. I've even been thinking of Lucario holding a Petaya berry and Enduring to activate it so he could let off a boosted priority right before he dies, but I don't know how much good that would be.

Alright, so hopefully, my plan is that Lucario and his pal will totally shut down Trick Room and dent the opposition a bit. Then I bring in Latios and Latias to sweep with Draco Meteor+type coverage. I'm seriously considering Scarfing Latias to save my ass against other scarfers/Kingdra/Motor Drive Electivire, and having Latios hold a White Herb to abuse Draco Meteor and still have the freedom to switch between attacks.

So yeah, that's the plan! I really have to sit down sometime soon and go more in-depth with my choices, but I want your advice guys before I begin soft reseting for the Lati twins!

I notice in your War story you mentioned 'Obi Mode'. What is that exactly? I would have posted in your warstory, but i don't have sufficient privlages or something like that.

I wonder if they will not notice a flash cart.if they do ill have my origanls too
They have special DS stations you have to insert your cartridge in to play. So you are not playing with your own DS.

So if the staff fails to notice, your opponent will.

@sudo = I would have Bullet Punch on Lucario, because it gets STAB and hits every type, while Vacuum Wave and Extremespeed each have one immune type. Other than that, be careful that the opponent doesn't set up something besides Trick Room. they could set up rain, since you don't really have anything to counter it, and that could put some serious holes in your strategy. You might want to look into having something that can somewhat resist weather attacks, or find a way to stop them from setting up. ;)

i dont really find a problem with raindance all i really have to do is taunt them and thats it. or just use snorlax to counter everything.

the trickroom team scares me and sudo has a good idea but instead of gengar i would use a spiritomb so it can pain split and it can work with trickroom if its IV's in speed is 0 or 1. the 1 is so it out speeds the bronzong before trickroom and after

@Sudo, i would recommend making a good stuff team. The reason being that good stuff teams almost always benefit in any type of weather condition/strategy. I plan on making one myself.
Good stuff team=a team that has a random mix of 4 good pokemon, with no real strategy, until the battle takes place.
If you dont want to make a good stuff team, the i have one bit of advice for you: watch out for the move follow me. That could be a problem for your team, unless you use multi-target moves like earthquake and heat wave.

@Sudo, i would recommend making a good stuff team. The reason being that good stuff teams almost always benefit in any type of weather condition/strategy.
Good stuff team=a team that has a random mix of 4 good pokemon, with no real strategy, until the battle takes place.
lol, isnt that what we told you?

also his team already looks like goodsuff team. =D

I have a quesiton. Which is the better ability for a snorlax. thick fat or immunity?
I was thinking of thick fat as fire moves are very common in double battles, due to heat wave, and im guessing some ice moves too. Also, to remove the toxic weakness, i could very well give the snorlax a pecha berry(although that probably isnt a good item choice anyway, lol).

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I have a quesiton. Which is the better ability for a snorlax. thick fat or immunity?
I was thinking of thick fat as fire moves are very common in double battles, due to heat wave, and im guessing some ice moves too. Also, to remove the toxic weakness, i could very well give the snorlax a pecha berry(although that probably isnt a good item choice anyway, lol).
Go with Thick Fat, I think that its more likely that a Fire or Ice type move will hit Snorlax than Toxic hitting Snorlax.

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish with Snorlax exactly, but I'm 97% sure Thick Fat would be the way to go. Is Toxic even really that common?

i like thick fat alot more better too, immunity is cool but you dont see many toxic attacks. also dont give it a pecha berry its a waist. oh and since there might see a trickroom dusknoir you might want to give snorlax a crunch attack

@Sudo,

While that's generally a good idea it's risky running an opening designed on countering a specific strategy because you have little to know means of dealing with other openings that aren't focused on the teams you've designed yours to face. What you really need to do is find a universal counter to most strategies (Explosion) while still being able to stop things like Trick Room (Imprison) and Rain Dance (Explosion, really). That way you don't have to worry about facing things that don't use Trick Room or Rain Dance or any other counter-able strategy. In this 4vs4 format, your opening makes up half of your team so it is best to make it as versatile as possible. You really don't want to get stuck against a Gyarados that is setting up on you unopposed.

On another note, something that people haven't been looking at is Quagsire as a counter to Rain Dance. It is deliciously slow so it can outspeed just about everything bar Shuckle in Trick Room and learns Encore. Quagsire can come in during Trick Room and lock them into a Fake Out, Hydro Pump, Rain Dance, etc. They also can't touch it with their primary attack. It also pretty much walls Metagross as well as learns Yawn and Body Slam. I have been playing around with Quagsire in some of my Trick Room teams but it hasn't been 4vs4 so I can't say how effective it would be there but considering it is slow enough to Encore any supporting Pokemon into what ever move they use it's definitely something to consider. :D

There's also Honchkrow. It has Taunt, Insomnia, and STAB Sucker Punch. It might be a bit fragile for 4vs4 but it's just something to consider. Unfortunately, Choice Band, max attack Honchkrow's Sucker Punch comes 10-20 HP away from OHKOing Zapdos and Kingdra. ;x

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Does anyone know if the different Rotom forms can be used? I remember hearing something about not being able to use it on Wi-Fi or Local Wireless but it could have been wrong.

@ quantum i like the idea of honchkrow but would a super luck be better with a crit. sucker punch. holding a lum berry

@ TheFourthChaser
no you cant use any of the rotom forms. though i dont know why.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Eventhough I love Quagsire, it's not very good because it doesn't really stop Rain Dance(Ludicolo can beat it with energy ball, or grass knot even though energy ball is better, and Kingdra can beat it with Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse), and the fact that Quagsire isn't threatening at all. It's offensive stats aren't very good, and it can't really do much that I couldn't find a pokemon who is better at doing its job. But Quagsire is still very neat, and if you want to continue testing it and prove me wrong by succeeding with it in the showdown, that's great, you would be the innovator of a new successful strategy but until then, I just don't think Quagsire could really be used efectively. And about your other point where making your two leads designed to counter one team is not a good idea, especially when it's Trick Room, I agree completely. The main counters to Trick Room are pokemon that are destroyed by fast, sweeping Offense like a Rain Dance team, so even though you will be able to beat Trick Room consistantly, you will lose to Rain teams consistantly too. In a tournament like this, it's best to use the most consistant team.

And at the post about the Rotom forms, they are not allowed, and the original Rotom is not allowed either.

Ehh... i want to post my team... and then i dont. im worried people will find out the strategy and i will lose easily at the real showdown... should i post it anyways?

Meh you could provide your strategy and we can provide suggestions and you could pick out the final adjustments and we wouldn't know which

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)