Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I would really like to know why Dragonite is banned, but Garchomp isn't.. o .O
Can you please read the original post before posting a question that has been answered numerous times. Besides, Garchomp is no where near as good as he is in singles. In fact, I would go as far as saying he's quite bad in doubles.

i wouldnt say garchomp is bad in doubles. he has his uses just like everything else. iirc the winner at the ny regional last year won with a garchomp. although this years tournament will probably use a wider variety of teams which could in turn make him bad.

Just to point out that Dragonite can be used if you got the one from Toys R Us, which is at lv. 50. I think Garchomp isn't banned because one, it evolves below lv. 50, and second, a lot of things, when you think about it, can counter it. Kingdra can take it out if Rain Dance support is in (which normally would be), if you are going up against say a Trick Room team Snorlax hurts it or Rhyperior if its carrying Ice Punch.

BlueCookies

i wouldnt say garchomp is bad in doubles. he has his uses just like everything else. iirc the winner at the ny regional last year won with a garchomp. although this years tournament will probably use a wider variety of teams which could in turn make him bad.
I didn't really mean bad, as much as I meant outclassed as a Dragon. Salamence and the Lati twins are superior Dragons and since I wouldn't want to double up on two dragons due to sharing similar popular weaknesses, I would have to choose one for my team. Garchomp's best two moves in singles, Earthquake and Outrage, are severely hampered in Doubles. So if Garchomp is going to get a spot on my team, he's going to have to have something that my team needs that Salamence or the Lati twins don't offer.

Garchomp isn't really a team player in Doubles, that's its 'problem'. Salamence is part flying and has an incredibly useful ability while also being able to set up a couple of Dragon Dances for a Psycho Dance sweep. Lati@s have awesome supporting movepools and also pack Levitate though now that Earthquake has been nerfed, leviquake synergy isn't nearly as vital as it used to be. But we're talking about 4v4. Your opponent won't have much room to counter a Choice Band Garchomp. But Garchomp with Follow Me support and Swords Dance is something entirely different.

@XxBlueCookiesXx; have you used Garchomp in Doubles before?

Guys I've been watching a lot of tornument battles on my battle recorder and here's just a brief metagame from most used to least used top 15

Metagross
Dusknoir
Smeargle
Lati@s
Zapdos
Arcanine
Salamence
Togekiss
Garchomp
Infernape
Hippodown
Slaking
Shuckle(Lol)
Umbreon
Dragonite

Scizor is not common at all with heat wave running around. So no need to worry about him. Heatran is not getting too popular either with the dragons

Now that NetBattle has been fixed and should work almost perfectly to simulate Double Battles, someone should make a specialized server for these kinds of battles, as I have found it impossible to find even a single Doubles Battle of this style in 4 days of trying :(.

Now that NetBattle has been fixed and should work almost perfectly to simulate Double Battles, someone should make a specialized server for these kinds of battles, as I have found it impossible to find even a single Doubles Battle of this style in 4 days of trying :(.
Try the mewshrine server. A lot of Double battlers, including myself, frequent it.

It also has platinum moves as an added bonus. :p

@Donutt; I spy with my little eye 8 Pokemon that are weak to ice. What tournaments have those Pokemon been taken from, though?

so, they have fixed the mechanic that was incorrect? With the pokemon coming in before it should and all?

If that's the case, then I'll be on mewshrine a lot since fixed mechanics + platinum moves = win.

so, they have fixed the mechanic that was incorrect? With the pokemon coming in before it should and all?

If that's the case, then I'll be on mewshrine a lot since fixed mechanics + platinum moves = win.
According to the recent update, when a Pokemon is knocked out, all other attacks will be carried out before the switch. Just like how it should be.

BlueCookies

Garchomp isn't really a team player in Doubles, that's its 'problem'. Salamence is part flying and has an incredibly useful ability while also being able to set up a couple of Dragon Dances for a Psycho Dance sweep. Lati@s have awesome supporting movepools and also pack Levitate though now that Earthquake has been nerfed, leviquake synergy isn't nearly as vital as it used to be. But we're talking about 4v4. Your opponent won't have much room to counter a Choice Band Garchomp. But Garchomp with Follow Me support and Swords Dance is something entirely different.

@XxBlueCookiesXx; have you used Garchomp in Doubles before?
Yes, I've used him both paired with Zapdos to use Discharge and with Togekiss for some Follow Me/Swords Dance stuff. The Follow Me/Swords Dance thing fails miserably. Any hail team completely destroys you. Zapdos' discharge and Chomp's earthquake worked somewhat well, but I often found that even though Discharge has a decent chance to paralyze, the lack of power it has compared to Thunderbolt was huge. Also, Choice Band sucks in 4v4, unless you're using some kind of trick Metagross. Choice Items in general suck unless being used with Trick, although I could see the use of having a choice scarf on Heatran, but he's the only pokemon I can see working with a choice item without trick.
Guys I've been watching a lot of tornument battles on my battle recorder and here's just a brief metagame from most used to least used top 15

Metagross
Dusknoir
Smeargle
Lati@s
Zapdos
Arcanine
Salamence
Togekiss
Garchomp
Infernape
Hippodown
Slaking
Shuckle(Lol)
Umbreon
Dragonite

Scizor is not common at all with heat wave running around. So no need to worry about him. Heatran is not getting too popular either with the dragons
I hate to say it but those statistics are wrong. I'm guessing that when you open up the battle recorder, you hit the middle button, and then 3 lists pop up and when you choose the 4th one it has lv.50 4.4 double battles? Anyone can upload those matches so it's not just tournament matches. Also, the fact that neither Cresselia or Gyarados are on your list, along with others who aren't and some who I've seen maybe once or twice shows that your list has some big flaws. But, Metagross is first so at least it's right in that regard :)
According to the recent update, when a Pokemon is knocked out, all other attacks will be carried out before the switch. Just like how it should be.
I've been waiting for this. I can't seem to connect to the registry though. Do you know the ip address so I can connect from advanced?

judging from the results micuat posts I would say its more like this:

Metagross
Snorlax
Smeargle
Zapdos
Latios
Kindgra
Bronzong
Cresselia
Jolteon
Ludicolo
Gyarados
Salamence

Latias
Heatran
Shedinja
Togekiss
Abamosnow
Dusknoir
Mamoswine
Infernape
Hariyama
Hippodown
Typhlosion
Garchomp

More or less in order, with a pretty big drop off with the space. I'm sure I forgot something too and in no way is this exact.

if im using the metagross/snorlax combo with belly drum and psych-up, would Meteor mash be better or should i go with bullet punch since it goes first?

go for both, meteor mash hits hard while trick room is up and bullet punch can help you when its not
well how does the move set work?

my set was

Metagross @ Lumberry
Brave
Hp252, Atk6, Def252
-BulletBunch
-Psych-up
-Explosion
-Protect

the new set will be

Metagross @ Lumberry
Brave
hp252, atk6, def252
-MetoerMash
-BulletBunch
-Explosion
-Psych-up

No Protect!?

I've been waiting for this. I can't seem to connect to the registry though. Do you know the ip address so I can connect from advanced?
Mewshrine.zapto.org.

---

@Haku; Meteor Mash on a Metagross that is going to max out its attack is overkill to the extreme. Iron Head or Zen Headbutt would be enough. For Bullet Punch to work, though, Metagross is absolutely going to need that +6 attack boost or else it will be virtually useless. Keep that in mind.

Mewshrine.zapto.org.

---

@Haku; Meteor Mash on a Metagross that is going to max out its attack is overkill to the extreme. Iron Head or Zen Headbutt would be enough. For Bullet Punch to work, though, Metagross is going to absolutely going to need that +6 attack boost or else it'll be virtually useless. Keep that in mind.
well doesnt a psych-up give it a +6 after getting the boost from belly drum?

well doesnt a psych-up give it a +6 after getting the boost from belly drum?
It does, yes, but my point is that unless you do Psych Up Snorlax after it Bell Drums, Bullet Punch isn't going to do anything. It would be best to have a more versatile set so that you can still do some damage in the situation where you weren't able to Belly Drum or Psych Up (will happen).

It does, yes, but my point is that unless you do Psych Up Snorlax after it Bell Drums, Bullet Punch isn't going to do anything. It would be best to have a more versatile set so that you can still do some damage in the situation where you weren't able to Belly Drum or Psych Up (will happen).
well i can understand that.lol

my set will be most likely be

Metagross @ Lumberry
Brave
Hp252, Atk6, Def252
-MeteorMash
-Bulletpunch
-Psych-up
-Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)